KITT in the New Movie

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Cobra
Volunteer

KITT in the New Movie

Post by Cobra » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:42 am

Seeing as how the NBC Knight Rider TV Movie disappointed many fans with their choice of car for KITT and the abilities of the car, I think that its importance cannot be overstated for the movie.

I believe that the following factors will need to be focused on extensively and with great attention to even the most minor details to make the new KITT as good if not better than the original:

The body:

Futuristic yet not overly glamorized in that it stands out like a sore thumb in traffic. The old KITT was sleek, sophisticated and subtle. These factors have to be incorporated into the new KITT for it to have any chance of being seen as a true modern remake of the old KITT. The best example of this is the Acura concept. I think it is by far the closest vehicle that embodies the essence of the old KITT. Any car that follows a simliar sleek and futuristic body design can be a candidate for the new KITT (with appropriate modifications of course). Here are some other good candidates for the new KITT:
Image Image
Of course with modifications to make the vehicle carry the spirit, look and feel of KITT.

The dashboard:

The dashboard has to have a "wow" factor. This was one of the key trademarks of the original KITT and sold the car as truly futuristic. Technology has changed greatly since the 80s, but human interaction with technology hasn't changed much, we still use our hands to feel and touch and choose from a menu of icons to go somewhere. Voice command can be incorporated alongside this but not dominate it. I believe that the dash should be heavily influenced by touchscreen technology and maintain a healthy dose of futuristic digital gauges and readouts. Something like this but with a little work on the layout and design: Image Image ImageImageImage
The fact that the old KITT could do everything automatically did not mean that manual control was obselete or not required; rather, that automated technology was stll prone to errors and problems (hacking, outages, etc.) that made manual control of the car a very important necessity. The same reasoning can justify the new KITT having touchscreen technology and digital guages and readouts and relying on manual control of the pilot/driver rather than having everything automated or controlled through voice commands with a small iphone screen. In addition, the voice modulator of KITT should remain where it was (the upper-center of the dash) but with a futuristic design that remains true to the original. Something like this but smaller and mirroring the three bar modulator of the original when KITT speaks: Image

The abilities:

The main abilities of the old KITT should never be sacrificed. Turbo Boost, Ski Mode, MBS, etc. are very important elements of KITT and a way to have the fans as well as those new to the show truly buy into the new KITT and a nodd of respect to the original. Of course the abilities would need to be updated in terms of how its done and the engineering and physics behind it in the Knight Rider universe to have people truly buy that these abilities are very much a possibility. Abilities like Turbo Boost and Ski Mode were used in action filled moments and gave a healthy feel of excitement to the show as everytime KITT Turbo Boosted, there was a slight risk that they may not make it over (a sort of keeping you on the edge of your seat moment). MBS was a very important element of the old Knight Rider and the whole nonsense that the NBC TV Movie dished out with the nano-technology healing that solely relies on the AI of the car being turned on and is useless if the AI is turned off was a step backwards. MBS can be modified to incorporate modern science and technology into it and is far superior to "healing" which makes KITT seem inferior and weak. Alongside the main abilities of KITT, new and more modern abilities can be implemented while obselete ones can be removed and updated with something modern (ie. Passive Restraint System upgraded to something more modern, etc.).

Comlink (minor yet important):

The new NBC TV movie had Mike using a bluetooth earpiece to stay in touch with KITT. That was also a step backwards. If Mike is caught by the bad guys, the earpiece is easily visible to the enemy and will definitely be taken away to prevent Mike from using it to communicate with anyone. The wristwatch that Michael Knight used was more subtle and not easily detected and thus would allow him to still communicate with KITT even when tied up and captured by the bad guys. I believe the Knight Rider movie should continue with that and use a wrist watch as the communication link between Michael and KITT when Michael is away from the car. In addition, the watch can also have many abilities that will allow Michael Knight not only to communicate with KITT but also do things that normal wrist watches can't (some influence from James Bond but not too heavily). It can even be used to endorse a brand of watch but not too heavily (ie. Ford with KITT in the NBC TV movie as an example).

These are the factors I consider very vital in ensuring that the new car embodies the spirit, look and feel of the old KITT. The presentation of the car is also very vital and I think the original series did an amazing job of that. The way Michael is first introduced to KITT in the dark room with a red scanner moving back and forth. It is very interesting to note how much it resembles the way the audience is first introduced to KITT....a black dot in the distant desert, speeding towards you, blowing dust in its tracks, a red scanner slowly coming into focus, moving left and right, zooming past the camera above. The Knight Rider theme simply took that feel and look to another level. Our senses were absolutely indulged. This is what the Knight Rider movie needs to ensure it can replicate with a modern look and feel.

There are other factors such as the relationship between the car and Michael, the core belief of Knight Rider (One man can make a difference), etc. that are also very important and will need to be focused on heavily so that the movie successfully embodies the feel of Knight Rider but for a 2010 audience. My thread is simply a focus on the car itself.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: KITT in the New Movie

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:03 am

Seeing as how the NBC Knight Rider TV Movie disappointed many fans with their choice of car for KITT and the abilities of the car, I think that its importance cannot be overstated for the movie.

I believe that the following factors will need to be focused on extensively and with great attention to even the most minor details to make the new KITT as good if not better than the original:

The body:

Futuristic yet not overly glamorized in that it stands out like a sore thumb in traffic. The old KITT was sleek, sophisticated and subtle. These factors have to be incorporated into the new KITT for it to have any chance of being seen as a true modern remake of the old KITT. The best example of this is the Acura concept. I think it is by far the closest vehicle that embodies the essence of the old KITT. Any car that follows a simliar sleek and futuristic body design can be a candidate for the new KITT (with appropriate modifications of course). Here are some other good candidates for the new KITT:
Image Image
Of course with modifications to make the vehicle carry the spirit, look and feel of KITT.

- Not really that impressed with the candidates but it is a good example of what you're trying to convey. Rest assured the look of the car is the #1 concern with selecting the proper car to represent his new "costume" you might say that maintains the spirit of the original.

The dashboard:

The dashboard has to have a "wow" factor. This was one of the key trademarks of the original KITT and sold the car as truly futuristic. Technology has changed greatly since the 80s, but human interaction with technology hasn't changed much, we still use our hands to feel and touch and choose from a menu of icons to go somewhere. Voice command can be incorporated alongside this but not dominate it. I believe that the dash should be heavily influenced by touchscreen technology and maintain a healthy dose of futuristic digital gauges and readouts. Something like this but with a little work on the layout and design: Image Image ImageImageImage
The fact that the old KITT could do everything automatically did not mean that manual control was obselete or not required; rather, that automated technology was stll prone to errors and problems (hacking, outages, etc.) that made manual control of the car a very important necessity. The same reasoning can justify the new KITT having touchscreen technology and digital guages and readouts and relying on manual control of the pilot/driver rather than having everything automated or controlled through voice commands with a small iphone screen. In addition, the voice modulator of KITT should remain where it was (the upper-center of the dash) but with a futuristic design that remains true to the original. Something like this but smaller and mirroring the three bar modulator of the original when KITT speaks: Image

- I like your dash examples, good inspirations for potential layouts. I agree with your observations. I absolutely agree that manual control is a necessity. I'd also add that Michael needs to actually physically interact with things to lend that sense of tangibility that when you press a button on the dash control be it LCD or physical, something happens. I think there should be a proper middle ground between physical buttons you can press and touch screen ones as a back up if the display should fail. I think the vital unique functions (turbo boost, ski mode, etc) should remain independent from a touch screen or at least have a back up.

The abilities:

The main abilities of the old KITT should never be sacrificed. Turbo Boost, Ski Mode, MBS, etc. are very important elements of KITT and a way to have the fans as well as those new to the show truly buy into the new KITT and a nodd of respect to the original. Of course the abilities would need to be updated in terms of how its done and the engineering and physics behind it in the Knight Rider universe to have people truly buy that these abilities are very much a possibility. Abilities like Turbo Boost and Ski Mode were used in action filled moments and gave a healthy feel of excitement to the show as everytime KITT Turbo Boosted, there was a slight risk that they may not make it over (a sort of keeping you on the edge of your seat moment). MBS was a very important element of the old Knight Rider and the whole nonsense that the NBC TV Movie dished out with the nano-technology healing that solely relies on the AI of the car being turned on and is useless if the AI is turned off was a step backwards. MBS can be modified to incorporate modern science and technology into it and is far superior to "healing" which makes KITT seem inferior and weak. Alongside the main abilities of KITT, new and more modern abilities can be implemented while obselete ones can be removed and updated with something modern (ie. Passive Restraint System upgraded to something more modern, etc.).

- This is interesting. Because there is a great deal of concern with who makes what first, I believe NBCU has dominated the market on using nano-technology in reference to a form of MBS. We won't be interested in doing the same thing because some people would view it as a "knock off" attempt of their original idea.

I think when it comes to the actual Mustang KITT, they should have both the MBS and the nano-tech as a back up instead of trying to trade one in for the other. When push comes to shove though in the feature film, there is just this exciting feeling you get knowing that when KITT is hit by bullets, they'll just bounce off his near invulnerable shell and that he can take a wall head on without damage. I wonder how the Mustang can handle slamming into a thick concrete wall and repair the damage on the fly while doing so from the beginning of the impact, to the conclusion of it. When it smashed into the SUV, it was only from one side, not a constant motion.

I think there would be some problems trying to explain that scenerio and we know KITT crashing through obstacles is a staple of Knight Rider mythology. As it stands right now, I agree the nano-tech replacement for the MBS is a step backwards but so is a computer dependent on the internet that can't protect it's own IP# from discovery, let alone a firewall that doesn't fail. If the Mustang had Micro Jam, it would have stopped the first hacking attempt at the source when it detected the first firewall was breached, not by the third attempt.

The other point I would raise is that KITT needs to have some more effective offensive weaponry. Although he's programed to protect human life, there comes a time when desperate measures are needed to protect it. I think he could have a rocket/missile or laser system that's more streamlined and incorporated into the design of the car that's concealed until needed that could be most effective when being bulletproof and fast isn't enough. There are situations where physical offensive force is necessary that a remote system can't handle.

Sometimes you can't just run from danger like a black painted Apache or some other military based vechicle chasing you firing weaponry that's superior to your own. Dodging missles, lasers, tank shells, rockets, etc...this all works great to build drama and that "how are they going to get out of this one?" situation but you do end up getting tired of seeing KITT have to outrace the bad guys one too many times and come up with some far fetched way to try to topple them.

These weapons would be evoked in a situation where there was no other viable option. Those kind of doomsday scenerios where your survival instinct kicks in.

If you look at the Develix? game, one of the reasons they added weapons to KITT in the sequel release was because as a video game, KITT not having offensive functions just doesn't work well. While I think the ways they incorporated the weaponry in the sequel were pretty cheesy, if not distracting I think they had the right idea.

Comlink (minor yet important):

The new NBC TV movie had Mike using a bluetooth earpiece to stay in touch with KITT. That was also a step backwards. If Mike is caught by the bad guys, the earpiece is easily visible to the enemy and will definitely be taken away to prevent Mike from using it to communicate with anyone. The wristwatch that Michael Knight used was more subtle and not easily detected and thus would allow him to still communicate with KITT even when tied up and captured by the bad guys. I believe the Knight Rider movie should continue with that and use a wrist watch as the communication link between Michael and KITT when Michael is away from the car. In addition, the watch can also have many abilities that will allow Michael Knight not only to communicate with KITT but also do things that normal wrist watches can't (some influence from James Bond but not too heavily). It can even be used to endorse a brand of watch but not too heavily (ie. Ford with KITT in the NBC TV movie as an example).

- I've said this in another thread but I believe you can have the best of both worlds by thinking more outside the box. People say a watch is dated or whatever, but I disagree because as you stated a villain isn't likely to take that away from Michael if he gets caught. People also say talking into a watch is "odd" but how many times do you find it even more awkward when someone is just talking to themself and you think they're talking to you when they're really on the phone? It isn't until you can see the bluetooth device that you realize what's going on.

I believe talking into the watch is vastly more believable and exciting. I think the watch itself can be updated to perform tasks an average watch can't do, more advanced then even James Bond's watch. When they put the iphone like interface ends up on a wrist watch, then technology really has caught up to fiction and I would do just that.

These are the factors I consider very vital in ensuring that the new car embodies the spirit, look and feel of the old KITT. The presentation of the car is also very vital and I think the original series did an amazing job of that. The way Michael is first introduced to KITT in the dark room with a red scanner moving back and forth. It is very interesting to note how much it resembles the way the audience is first introduced to KITT....a black dot in the distant desert, speeding towards you, blowing dust in its tracks, a red scanner slowly coming into focus, moving left and right, zooming past the camera above. The Knight Rider theme simply took that feel and look to another level. Our senses were absolutely indulged. This is what the Knight Rider movie needs to ensure it can replicate with a modern look and feel.

- No worries here, we have this covered. The mystique of KITT's reveal is very much like the original pilot. As they say, if it's not broke dont fix it.

There are other factors such as the relationship between the car and Michael, the core belief of Knight Rider (One man can make a difference), etc. that are also very important and will need to be focused on heavily so that the movie successfully embodies the feel of Knight Rider but for a 2010 audience. My thread is simply a focus on the car itself.

- Good work. This is useful information.

=VK=
:dash:

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:56 pm

About the bluetooth/earpiece they would think that it is used for his phone similar that the watch would be used as just a watch, however with the touchscreen the watch would look to hi-tech and therefore be taken away, although it can be hidden as well

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:11 pm

JJSoCrazy wrote:About the bluetooth/earpiece they would think that it is used for his phone similar that the watch would be used as just a watch, however with the touchscreen the watch would look to hi-tech and therefore be taken away, although it can be hidden as well
- Not if the image on the screen appeared to be a normal LCD looking watch. Most criminals won't bother to look close enough at it to realize it's just a faux display. I'd say they're more likely to confiscate a earpiece device then they would a wrist watch. It really boils down to how paranoid they are of their captured prey escaping. James Bond was able to consistantly outsmart his opponents because unless they worked for MI6 like Trevlyn in GoldenEye, they wouldn't suspect his watch could do anything more but tell time.

Glen has said he's always admired Ian Flemming and admits that Michael Knight was intended at first to be more of a James Bond type character, but through the course of production budgets he had to hold back on giving MK too many gadgets, instead they gave them to the car.

=VK=

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:04 pm

victor kros wrote:
JJSoCrazy wrote:About the bluetooth/earpiece they would think that it is used for his phone similar that the watch would be used as just a watch, however with the touchscreen the watch would look to hi-tech and therefore be taken away, although it can be hidden as well
- Not if the image on the screen appeared to be a normal LCD looking watch. Most criminals won't bother to look close enough at it to realize it's just a faux display. I'd say they're more likely to confiscate a earpiece device then they would a wrist watch. It really boils down to how paranoid they are of their captured prey escaping. James Bond was able to consistantly outsmart his opponents because unless they worked for MI6 like Trevlyn in GoldenEye, they wouldn't suspect his watch could do anything more but tell time.

Glen has said he's always admired Ian Flemming and admits that Michael Knight was intended at first to be more of a James Bond type character, but through the course of production budgets he had to hold back on giving MK too many gadgets, instead they gave them to the car.

=VK=
That's a pretty good statement. I believe if they choose to keep the classic ideal Knight Rider the watch could be an iPhone type of device.

As for the car, since I am a huge car fanatic I am trying to find a type of car that KITT can be that is sleek and stylish and in black resembles KITT. Now I wanted to ask you VK the film is set to be dark, similar to Batman Begins, is this correct?

Thanks!

Joe

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:51 am

I wouldn't say the motion picture's tone is as dark as Batman Begins. We decided to lighten it up a bit more after seeing that turning an 80's property too dark like say, Miami Vice can be problematic. Glen wants to maintain his balance of humor with drama and the action involved. He doesn't want the movie to be too heavy with serious drama or gratuitous sexuality like say the sci-fi Battlestar Galactica format.

We want this movie to be a fun adrenaline pumping visual journey you'll want to go back and experience again and again. Rewatch value is essential with a motion picture, it determines what is just a "release" and what is a "blockbuster hit". When the script captures these elements, have no doubt the production will race towards principle photography and turbo boost it's way onto the silver screen. We don't want just CGI to sell the excitement of this movie, we want the characters, the story, and the design to sell it. If we do our job right, the marketing campaign will only fuel your anticiapation to sell out the theaters on opening night.

We want the teaser trailers/posters to make you feel like a kid again with the same excitement and anticiapation you had the first time you saw promos for Knight of the Pheonix.

I would say overall it's likely to be PG-13 for some of its violent subject matter and intense action sequences. Glen still wants to keep the motion picture as family friendly as possible. Keep in mind what is acceptable now in television and motion pictures as "family friendly" is vastly different from what was considered "family friendly" back then.

Now you can have people getting shot on the screen or murdered or whatever and no one cares about it. You can also show off g-strings and cleavage. The line is drawn mainly on how gore, sexuality, and profanity is handled by the camera.

You can still have those things listed above but it's how you shoot them that defines what rating you're trying to achieve and what the MPAA will usually give you.

=VK=

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:55 am

victor kros wrote:I wouldn't say the motion picture's tone is as dark as Batman Begins. We decided to lighten it up a bit more after seeing that turning an 80's property too dark like say, Miami Vice can be problematic. Glen wants to maintain his balance of humor with drama and the action involved. He doesn't want the movie to be too heavy with serious drama or gratuitous sexuality like say the sci-fi Battlestar Galactica format.

We want this movie to be a fun adrenaline pumping visual journey you'll want to go back and experience again and again. Rewatch value is essential with a motion picture, it determines what is just a "release" and what is a "blockbuster hit". When the script captures these elements, have no doubt the production will race towards principle photography and turbo boost it's way onto the silver screen. We don't want just CGI to sell the excitement of this movie, we want the characters, the story, and the design to sell it. If we do our job right, the marketing campaign will only fuel your anticiapation to sell out the theaters on opening night.

We want the teaser trailers/posters to make you feel like a kid again with the same excitement and anticiapation you had the first time you saw promos for Knight of the Pheonix.

I would say overall it's likely to be PG-13 for some of its violent subject matter and intense action sequences. Glen still wants to keep the motion picture as family friendly as possible. Keep in mind what is acceptable now in television and motion pictures as "family friendly" is vastly different from what was considered "family friendly" back then.

Now you can have people getting shot on the screen or murdered or whatever and no one cares about it. You can also show off g-strings and cleavage. The line is drawn mainly on how gore, sexuality, and profanity is handled by the camera.

You can still have those things listed above but it's how you shoot them that defines what rating you're trying to achieve and what the MPAA will usually give you.

=VK=
That sounds great!!!

I few weeks ago I stumbled upon a Knight Rider trailer made for a movie that looked great, but then ended up being really stupid with some idiot.v It showed Wilton telling Michael the whole thing from the pilot "One Man Can Make a Difference", etc. It would be nice to see a trailer that starts of like that and leads into the temptation with Knight Rider.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11228
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVC11nkh1gg

Here's another point, on the movie would be logical to give it a similar intro as the TV Series or just make it a regular movie intro?

Also can you explain a little more what they are looking in terms of the vehicle?

Thanks!

Joe

K2007
Operative

Post by K2007 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:59 pm

List of cars that would be wicked:
Aston Martin Vantage RS
BMW M5 or Z4
Mercedes-Benz C320 Sport Coupe
Maserati Quattroporte or Granturismo
Corvette C6
Ford GT40 (hopefully they won't go overboard with promo...AGAIN)

Google and oogle, my friends :lol:
McKurra: Read it, Karr.
KARR: But I -
McKurra: Read it.
KARR: -sigh- Genesis 1:1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth...
KNIGHT RIDER 2020 - a series canon by Knightsong

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:52 am

I cannot discuss any more details about what we're looking for in the new K.I.T.T. car that I haven't already said, sorry. As much as I'd love to just come out and say it, because of the fact we haven't yet secured rights would cause other companies out there to beat us to the punch then try to demand tremendous royalties once they secured the rights first.

So for now the car(s) we're looking at remain a mystery. I can tell you KITT will be black, have a red scanner light in the front grill, and will not be named KIFT, KITT will still be K.I.T.T.

I think the "opening footage" idea won't work for the motion picture opening credits simply because part of the fun of the movie is not knowing exactly what you're going to see right off the bat. I think this idea might work better in a teaser trailer of some sort. Some people believe we shouldn't show the car period until the movie opens because of the reaction to NBCU revealing the Mustang early on. I tend to think we should show the car because I feel confident people won't have to find ways to accept it, when it's designed and built it will speak for itself with that "wow" factor audiences expect to see.

You can't please everyone, inevitably there will still be people out there who will hate it because it's not a Trans Am but I think by the time a trailer hits, those people may choose to come around and give this "re-imagining" a chance.

If I were to venture a guess on what I would put in an opening sequence, it would be showing KITT being built to some capacity, although Star Trek has done this with The Enterprise footage, I think we could still come up with something visually interesting enough to grab your attention without you knowing what it is right away.

I really would like a more expanded opening sequence then fading up the words "Knight Rider" up there and jumping right into the movie you know? That tends to be the trend these days but it deals more with staying in an allotted running time, having more room to edit when a film needs to be cut down then anything else. Nothing too over the top, I think the X-Men/X2/X3 credits are a good example. Gets you visually excited from the start, then pulls into the scene without dragging on too long.

=VK=

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:10 am

Hey VK, long time no see... So, just HOW much are you involved with the making/development of the new Larson movie? I am very excited about the possibilities, and really look forward to hearing more about it. As always, THANKS buddy! 8)

:kitt: :karr:

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:04 am

victor kros wrote:I cannot discuss any more details about what we're looking for in the new K.I.T.T. car that I haven't already said, sorry. As much as I'd love to just come out and say it, because of the fact we haven't yet secured rights would cause other companies out there to beat us to the punch then try to demand tremendous royalties once they secured the rights first.

So for now the car(s) we're looking at remain a mystery. I can tell you KITT will be black, have a red scanner light in the front grill, and will not be named KIFT, KITT will still be K.I.T.T.

I think the "opening footage" idea won't work for the motion picture opening credits simply because part of the fun of the movie is not knowing exactly what you're going to see right off the bat. I think this idea might work better in a teaser trailer of some sort. Some people believe we shouldn't show the car period until the movie opens because of the reaction to NBCU revealing the Mustang early on. I tend to think we should show the car because I feel confident people won't have to find ways to accept it, when it's designed and built it will speak for itself with that "wow" factor audiences expect to see.

You can't please everyone, inevitably there will still be people out there who will hate it because it's not a Trans Am but I think by the time a trailer hits, those people may choose to come around and give this "re-imagining" a chance.

If I were to venture a guess on what I would put in an opening sequence, it would be showing KITT being built to some capacity, although Star Trek has done this with The Enterprise footage, I think we could still come up with something visually interesting enough to grab your attention without you knowing what it is right away.

I really would like a more expanded opening sequence then fading up the words "Knight Rider" up there and jumping right into the movie you know? That tends to be the trend these days but it deals more with staying in an allotted running time, having more room to edit when a film needs to be cut down then anything else. Nothing too over the top, I think the X-Men/X2/X3 credits are a good example. Gets you visually excited from the start, then pulls into the scene without dragging on too long.

=VK=
Very well then! Good to hear, I like the idea with the whole thing of KITT getting built, sounds awesome! I wish they would of used that opening trailer in the new series maybe?

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:57 am

KITT being built vs KITT revealed as a mistery car. The latter worked very well in the original pilot. I was totally blown out by that wonderful black car that, suddenly, started driving herself and talking! As for now, KITT is not a mistery car anymore so that kind of theatrical choice would not have the same impact. Showing the construction of KITT, its AI starting to "think", could be cool.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:05 am

PaoloM wrote:KITT being built vs KITT revealed as a mistery car. The latter worked very well in the original pilot. I was totally blown out by that wonderful black car that, suddenly, started driving herself and talking! As for now, KITT is not a mistery car anymore so that kind of theatrical choice would not have the same impact. Showing the construction of KITT, its AI starting to "think", could be cool.
- How is KITT not a mystery car? No one knows what it's going to do or what it actually will look like (specifically) until it's decided to reveal it? Short of the red scanner light and shiny black mirror polished finish, all the general public can do at this point is speculate what car it will be and what it's going to do.

=VK=

BlackMagic84
Recruit

Post by BlackMagic84 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:00 pm

I agree with you Vic on talking about not using the 82 Pontiac TransAm for the silver screen movie.

Here's why with some of "my take" on what KITT should or should not be:

On making it with the same car...

#1 - It just wouldn't fly. You can't make a film about a technological advance special piece of machinery and then show the audience that it is 26 years old. It worked in '82, because it was brand new then and it was a brand new design (1st year of the 3rd gen F-body).

On what car that they "should use"....

#1 - Any type of "concept car", made up/unrealistic car, prototype or foreign car in my opinion would BE A MISTAKE.

Knight Rider and moreover, KITT, is an "American Based" program (even though I know they have fans all over the world, and that is great), however we all know Knight Rider MUST succeed in the U.S. or it will not succeed at all nor anywhere else.

They should use an actual vehicle that will be made into production. It will be the most successful and most believable.

Want proof of my theory???..............Sure......

-Since Knight Rider's inception, only two cars so far have seemed to really attract interest...

1 - The 82' TransAm of the origianl series.
and...
2 - The 08 Shelby Mustang of the latest pilot.

....Everything else was just a complete and total flop! (KIFT, Team KR and anyother car they tried to put KITT's computer in, ex. - the 57 Chevy in KR2000, just didn't match with a "technologically innovative car")

Again, KR is an "American Show", based in America. Always has and always will be. They need to use an American car, and an "actual production" car also. (I personally think this would be a fine opportunity for Pontiac to resurrect the Firebird/TransAm)

The New Camaro debuts in spring of 2009. When it debuted for the first time it was in 1967. The Firebird TransAm line followed in 1969. Two years later.
...With the new Camaro/Z-28 debuting in the spring of 2009, it would be a perfect opportunity for Pontiac to bust out with a new Firebird/TransAm for 2010/2011 when the movie comes out.

....It potentially has the best possible senario to produce the same charisma as the original did when it came on the scene.

Larsen and Pontiac should get together and brainstorm this idea......the timing is almost too perfect!

But please, and again, I sencerily hope that they DO NOT use any of the following....

-Any "foreign make" car. Again, KR is an American based invention. Nuff said. An American Muscle car is what people want.
-Any prototype/concept car/or Hollywood made vehicle that does not exist. It's been done before and it doesn't work. The public wants to see something that they know is REAL.

Vic, pass this on to Glen, and I hope you like my suggestions.

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:33 pm

BlackMagic84, i agree with you to 100%! since i'm european i don't care that much that it has to be an american made car, BUT it must be a muscle car, and as far as i know the only real muscle cars are all made in america.

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:38 pm

victor kros wrote:- How is KITT not a mystery car? No one knows what it's going to do or what it actually will look like (specifically) until it's decided to reveal it? Short of the red scanner light and shiny black mirror polished finish, all the general public can do at this point is speculate what car it will be and what it's going to do.

=VK=
Yes, KITT will still be a mistery car in the plot point of view. I am talking about the general audience that already knows about the black talking car, Hasslehoff and all the Knight Rider stuff. Back in '82 we didn't know what to expect so it was a real surprise. In 2008 I think that the suprise factor would not be the same.
As for me, I will still be amazed and surprised, but as a Knight Rider fan my thoughts are a little biased.

BlackMagic84
Recruit

Post by BlackMagic84 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:52 pm

Kaine wrote:BlackMagic84, i agree with you to 100%! since i'm european i don't care that much that it has to be an american made car, BUT it must be a muscle car, and as far as i know the only real muscle cars are all made in america.

Thanks.

And I'm glad you didn't think I was being arrogant about saying "it has to be an Amerian car". I didn't intend to sound that way.

Knight Rider has fans all over the world. Especially in Germany and many other parts of Europe. And we American KR fans thank you for the support and patronage of keeping KR and it's spirit alive.

But yes, I do think by making KITT an American Muscle Car that is an actual production model, (as it was in '82) would make a silver screen picture more successful. That's why I hope Pontiac will resurrect the TransAm in 2010 or 2011.

K2007
Operative

Post by K2007 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:56 pm

Yes, an American car would be nice, but I don't think there are any American cars that suit an AI's personality. A muscle car just isn't Kitt, you know? Kitt's focus is to protect life at all costs, and with an aggressive-looking Mustang or Challenger, you can't see that. Maybe a sleek American car, like a GT40 or a Corvette.

And Pontiac is working on designs for a new Trans Am. These I would support for maybe a new KARR...just maybe not in blue as it is on the link.
http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/h ... index.html
KARR: -sigh- Genesis 1:1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth...

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:16 pm

Kevin told us, regarding the Internet buzz over his series of drawings on http://www.transamcountry.com. "I drew them because of my love for the Trans Am and love of drawing. I just wish we could get our Firebirds and Trans Ams back!"
Those concept pictures are fan made and have been circling the net for months. There are no plans by Pontiac or GM for a revival of the Trans Am. This matter has already been exhaustively investigated. The most you could hope for is a new GTO at best which was deemed the precessor to the Trans Am/Firebird line.

=VK=

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:37 pm

These might only be concept images for the 2011 T/A but I think they're the best fit IMO. KITT should resemble this fairly closely.
clicky1
clicky2

It shouldn't look like a brick and have some kinda aerodynamic properties to allow it to attain high speeds as well aid things like turbo boost.

I love some of the dash images shown by Cobra especially with the cool bit from the dash to the gearstick. It's something I've drawn in another thread.

The interior should be comfortable and minimalistic. However, I'd still love some kind of overhead console.

The AI itself should be more developed that the original KITT. That was an AI still in its infancy and something that bugged me was KITT's naivety and lack of action when certain things were happening. JYD should never have occurred if KITT had been monitoring his environment constantly and trying to predict likely (as opposed to all) outcomes. I loved the voice in some of the KR08 trailers - they sounded great, slightly robotic and with attitude!

Weaponary - I do believe that they would now be necessary but I don't want it to become too James Bond-like. Maybe energy weapons like photons or something? I didn't like the rockets in the KR2 game but the laser and photon thing felt more like a part of KITT for some reason.

Keep the MBS - it's far superior to the nanobot technology. If Devon has died, maybe he passed his portion of the MBS on? Or maybe a newer, improved version of the MBS should be developed?

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:46 pm

Knight2000 wrote:These might only be concept images for the 2011 T/A but I think they're the best fit IMO. KITT should resemble this fairly closely.
clicky1
clicky2
Boy isn't it a shame this won't become a reality? That is such a sick looking car!

Just imagine (because it won't happen) if GM did put this into production, using the new Knight Rider movie to launch it before it was available to the public. :shock:

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:59 pm

Knight2000 wrote:These might only be concept images for the 2011 T/A but I think they're the best fit IMO. KITT should resemble this fairly closely.
clicky1
clicky2
Those are completely fan-made and not a reflection of anything General Motors has conceived....thank God.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

K2007
Operative

Post by K2007 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:08 pm

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:54 pm

victor kros wrote:
Kevin told us, regarding the Internet buzz over his series of drawings on http://www.transamcountry.com. "I drew them because of my love for the Trans Am and love of drawing. I just wish we could get our Firebirds and Trans Ams back!"
Those concept pictures are fan made and have been circling the net for months. There are no plans by Pontiac or GM for a revival of the Trans Am. This matter has already been exhaustively investigated. The most you could hope for is a new GTO at best which was deemed the precessor to the Trans Am/Firebird line.

=VK=
I have asked the same question over and over again. GM is in the can right now as well as all other car companies and only want to focus on their priorities, which I guess isn't a Trans Am/Firebird. You can forget about the GTO because GM doesn't want to do the "performance line" right now for Pontiac, they are holding off.

If you guys are curious I started a post in Aug 06 and has created a lot of hype on returning the Firebird. Check it out, its a website known as gminsidenews.com, the best site for gm stuff and upcoming cars/road tests/discussions, etc.

here is the post
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/show ... hp?t=35822

here is the section the forum
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/foru ... y.php?f=60

Check out the pages and number of posts, btw it's jjsocrazy on their as well! :D

Also this is my favorite Trans Am pic and one of the most popular since it looks so detailed!:

Joe

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:16 pm

Where did you hear GM's not doing the performance thing with Pontiac? Or is that just a cynical remark since GM's ignoring their performance division? ;)
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;