What to change about the KNIGHT 3000 when it goes to series

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Re: What to change about the KNIGHT 3000 when it goes to series

Post by Garthe Knight » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:29 pm

Dalton
Recruit

Post by Dalton » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:20 pm

Very nice Garthe Knight, although it makes the car look a bit too ordinary.

Kaine
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Kaine » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:58 pm

looking great, much sleeker than the shelby!
though i'd prefer another variant of a scanner, maybe in a fashion like the new shelby has, because the one on your picture should be distinctive to the Knight 2000 T/A

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:17 pm

I kinda like the two scanners over the one on the Mustang KITT. I think the two do look better than the one. It gives him a different look to a different personality. I like the way they look like eyes,What the scanner on KITT always reminded me of as KITT''S eyes to the world. So the two scanners give me even more of a feel for this,especially the scene with the truck when KITT whizzes by.

What I really didn't like was the stacked spoiler wing in the back.To me that was just to fast and the furious for me. I would like to see them get rid of that and update the interior more and make it look more space age and see some more physical tricks and stunts from KITT.

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:26 am

1. Get rid of the racing stripes.
2. Improve the scanner speed and give it a noise.
3. Have KITT do turbo boost, ski mode, and burnouts.
4. Get rid of the Cobra emblems.(But, I can't see that happening.)
5. There needs to be more happening in the dashboard. Right now, the dashboard seems too abstract.
6. Val needs to give KITT's voice more personality. Right now, KITT sounds so rigid.
7. What ever happen to Bonnie and April? What's Michael Knight been up to lately? What happen to FLAG? Who's Jennifer? And how does she fit into the timeline in connection from the old KR to the new KR? In another words, the new KR needs to tie up some loose ends with some of it's storylines.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:09 am

KnightLady wrote:1. Get rid of the racing stripes.
2. Improve the scanner speed and give it a noise.
3. Have KITT do turbo boost, ski mode, and burnouts.
4. Get rid of the Cobra emblems.(But, I can't see that happening.)
5. There needs to be more happening in the dashboard. Right now, the dashboard seems too abstract.
6. Val needs to give KITT's voice more personality. Right now, KITT sounds so rigid.
7. What ever happen to Bonnie and April? What's Michael Knight been up to lately? What happen to FLAG? Who's Jennifer? And how does she fit into the timeline in connection from the old KR to the new KR? In another words, the new KR needs to tie up some loose ends with some of it's storylines.
Good list, all are simple and should be easy to implement if need be. I myself quite like the Val Kilmer voice, it seems a little more realistic to what a talking computer may sound like when creating a sentence artificially. I assume that this could improve as he talks more, perhaps he would simple have a better understanding of how to speak (by saving sentance constructs to his memory when he hears them said in context by people.)
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:37 pm

So, you mean the new KITT should look like this: no emblems, no stripes, blackened tail lights, no body kit and no xxl-wing.

Last edited by Garthe Knight on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimknight
Rookie

Post by jimknight » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:40 pm

wow garthe knight im lovin how KITT looks with the black wheels and rear lights

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Hmm, I cannot decide, if the standard or the shelby grill would look better.

This is how the standard would look (no diagonal attachments)

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Garthe Knight wrote:So, you mean the new KITT should look like this: no emblems, no stripes, blackened tail lights, no body kit and no xxl-wing.

that's my kind'a ride!!!
certainly doesn't come from the dealership :mrgreen:

nice work! now THIS is what i would want KITT to look like in the series.
small changes, BIG effect!

SupKnight
Stranger

Post by SupKnight » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:45 pm

I would like to suggest William Daniels play the new KITT role. Val Kilmer sounds like my answering machine and every other answering machine out there. William Daniels is what makes the new KITT traditional. Computers don't age and loose information like we do, they get upgraded and what's great about computers is that they like to obtain information and processes that information. We need all those years of Artificial Intelligence knowledge, humor and human like expression from the original KITT into this new KITT. If you look at it carefully, he still feels like an answering machine that requires programming. I really have not attached myself to KITTs voice and his out of the box knowledge yet.

:kitt:

Dalton
Recruit

Post by Dalton » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:45 pm

SupKnight wrote:I would like to suggest William Daniels play the new KITT role.
He's 80 years old.

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:45 pm

Garthe Knight wrote:So, you mean the new KITT should look like this: no emblems, no stripes, blackened tail lights, no body kit and no xxl-wing.

Exactly. It doesn't and should not need all those extras to make it KITT. The T/A didn't need three modes to get the job done and it still looked cool, even when I still watch the old KR on DVD I'm still impressed by it. :kitt:

knightstand
Recruit

Post by knightstand » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:24 am

Nice Garthe-esp the last series. Can't disagree.

Add that to a dash with more going on, and some wall smashing.
I'd like to see turbo boost as well, but understand if it can't be done.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:52 am

Nice work, Garthe. If they made KITT look like that I will be really really happy ;)
Love the twin exhausts especially. Can't remember if the new KITT have twin exhausts or not...
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:51 am

BlueChaos wrote:Nice work, Garthe. If they made KITT look like that I will be really really happy ;)
Love the twin exhausts especially. Can't remember if the new KITT have twin exhausts or not...
It does, I didn't change the exhausts.

Todd
Stranger

Post by Todd » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:11 am

I don't doubt that Ford have invested heavily in this and of course would advertise at every opportunity (with the nice close ups of the front, sides and rear emblems), personally I would like to see the series car do away with that but if not, then perhaps they should incorporate the Knight Industries logo either the horse chess piece or the knights' helmet like on the original steering wheel.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:07 am

The dash. It needs to be changed. I'd like to see them have something along the lines of this

I would have posted the pictures, but they are copyright of msKEN and knightdriver2001 and if they're anythign like me they'd rather have people look at their site than just steal their pictures and bandwidth :)
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:31 am

The dash and that look nice, HOPEFULLY they do actually make it look better and not so boring and sterile. It's a shame GM stopped making the TA/Firebird, if they hadn't I'd probably be a lot more annoyed with the Ford/Mustang deal. Then again, with the retro fad that's been going around they'd probably end up basing the car on the first generation model anyway. Besides that, GM still probably wouldn't have been interested and even if they were, they'd probably not allow them the same liberties given that the original show had with the car..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:08 am

Rewatching the movie last night it occurred to me the dash and indeed the whole interior would look nice if it lit up the way as suggested in this picture: http://www.tvjab.com/wp-content/uploads ... inside.jpg

The black curved piece in the back looks like it was meant to glow red, there were supposed to be holo-displays on the dash etc. If the interior had just been more "lit up" like this I think it would have looked a lot cooler. If taken to series it would also be neat if those silver panels flipped around to reveal alternate controls (to suit the various gadgets per ep of course!) :)
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:46 pm

The back seat computer has to go. If there must be a computer in this car, why is it not in the trunk like subwoofers are for other vehicles? It feels like K.I.T.T.'s carrying around a Dell computer tower and driving it over to Best Buy for a repair or something. I understand its purpose was for a plot device in the climax, but overall I don't think it's a particularly good idea. And more importantly, if a 1982 vehicle didn't even need a giant, protruding computer in the back seat, why would the Knight 3000? It feels low-tech and I hate it.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:53 pm

Lost Knight wrote:The back seat computer has to go. If there must be a computer in this car, why is it not in the trunk like subwoofers are for other vehicles? It feels like K.I.T.T.'s carrying around a Dell computer tower and driving it over to Best Buy for a repair or something. I understand its purpose was for a plot device in the climax, but overall I don't think it's a particularly good idea. And more importantly, if a 1982 vehicle didn't even need a giant, protruding computer in the back seat, why would the Knight 3000? It feels low-tech and I hate it.
Amen to that. I 100% agree with you on the computer. Well, my mobile phone has UMTS, GPS, GPRS (yeah, satellite uplink :wink: ) and more, and it's a tiny little piece of technology. This is unnecessary, especially on the backseat.

DorianX
Recruit

Post by DorianX » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:14 am

The car is... Well, not great, but it's okay. I'd like to see more "physical" stunts, but I don't think I really need to see Turbo Boost itself: I'd be happy for them to let that be "The Original Series's Thing" and let the shape-shifting stuff be the new KITT's "thing". It'd almost feel disrespectful for this new KITT to recycle his predecessor's Big Thing. So, more shape-shifting.

I think they need something a bit more "iconic" for the interior. KITT's waveform voice display is not unattractive, but there's not really anything "distinctive" about it.

The two things I think they really need to do are:

1. Get new writers. The plot of the pilot was bordering on incoherent, and it felt very much like they had approached KITT as a plot device instead of a character.

2. Remember how to "wow" us with technology again. Watching the pilot was a lot like seeing the new House Of Tomorrow at Disney World: Yes, a microsoft-built house with centralized computer-controlled lighting, heating, and a wireless networked media center seems like a much more reasonable future than the Plastic Fantastic Atomic Future everyone thought would be The Year 2000 back in the '50s, but it's a much less "wow" future. So yes, it's technically impressive how KITT can use GPS and Sattelite imaging, and how he can get close to two hundred miles to the gallon. But when I hear that, it sounds "really convenient", not "really cool".

It would also help if someone prodded Val Kilmer and reminded him that he's an actor (and not a bad one at that), so he should try to do something approaching acting.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:17 pm

Garthe Knight wrote:
Lost Knight wrote:The back seat computer has to go. If there must be a computer in this car, why is it not in the trunk like subwoofers are for other vehicles? It feels like K.I.T.T.'s carrying around a Dell computer tower and driving it over to Best Buy for a repair or something. I understand its purpose was for a plot device in the climax, but overall I don't think it's a particularly good idea. And more importantly, if a 1982 vehicle didn't even need a giant, protruding computer in the back seat, why would the Knight 3000? It feels low-tech and I hate it.
Amen to that. I 100% agree with you on the computer. Well, my mobile phone has UMTS, GPS, GPRS (yeah, satellite uplink :wink: ) and more, and it's a tiny little piece of technology. This is unnecessary, especially on the backseat.

I agree too, it kind of looks like a subwoofer too. :lol: It really should be shrunk down and moved. I still want to smack Harald Belker.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:31 am

DorianX wrote:1. Get new writers. The plot of the pilot was bordering on incoherent, and it felt very much like they had approached KITT as a plot device instead of a character.
I never got that feeling. KITT was an essential part of the show and did more than a "plot device" would. The three character scenes that elevate KITT above a simple McGuffin are:

1) KITT talking to the grieving Sarah: It is stated more than once that KITT can't "feel emotion" the way we do, and yet he takes time to talk to her and try to make her feel better. This shows that while he may not have emotion, he does have some type of empathic tendency which is interesting to see in what is, essentially, a very raw AI.

2) KITT asking Mike about Sarah: KITT actually shows something interesting here, namely curiosity. It's not mission critical for him to know why Sarah and Mike aren't together, yet he takes the time to ask instead of just refueling and saying "Ready" and taking off again. The conversation isn't plot critical since Mike and Sarah discuss their past relationship twice over the course of the movie. The idea was to give us a Mike and KITT character moment.

3) The "Sugar in the tank" scene: KITT telling Mike "Don't you dare, Mike" is a cute character moment reminiscent of the old Michael and KITT banter. Other examples of this type of quick interaction are Mike telling KITT to "shut up" about "knowing women" and when KITT asks if Mike driving is going to become a "habit". These points in no way further the plot, yet they are moments that help shape the relationship that the two have with each other.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)