Merchandising?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

corlando52
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Merchandising?

Post by corlando52 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:02 pm

Did you write to the guy about his circuit? titodark@gmail.com
I think I already have this schematic, with the trailing effect. I would love to have the "all lights on" when the scanner first comes on. I haven't worked on my "better" KITT in a while. I should get back to it. I'm putting in the bottom fog lights that will light up. I'm using the original MPC model (I bought a bunch back in the '80s), and cut out the bottom grill on the nose so I could put in the fog lights. I had a bit of trouble when I painted the body... I used regular Testors spray black, but it came out horrible, so I used Easy Off Oven spray and took it back down to the original plastic. I might have to use and airbrush to get a nice consistancy, but I lost my heart in this when the paint got messed up, and I haven't returned to it since.

Chris

Knight6000
Recruit

Post by Knight6000 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Well I managed to find a 1:25th scale '06 GT 500 model today at my local hobby shop,but when I went back they were closed.I'm gonna stop by there tomorrow when I get off from work and buy it.

I'll be able to start work on it on Wed.It will be a slow process to turn it into KITT as I want to make molds of the modded hood and custom spoiler pieces.I'll be making the Attack/SPM KITT so I have to make custom spoilers for it as well.

When I get started I will make my own topic and post pics in it.I'm really looking forward to this and hope I can get a scanner for it in the same scale.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:41 pm

Sounds cool! I look forward to seeing the pictures of your progress. If you make molds of the hood, maybe you could offer them for sale here for the rest of us who want to make the new KITT!

Chris

Knight6000
Recruit

Post by Knight6000 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:43 pm

Oh I will.I plan on making them widely available for anyone that wants to make the new KITT.You would have to do some minor cleanup on the parts and do some small cutting with a dremel if you want an LED scanner in the hood.

The original will be put up as the master copy and even my own personal KITT with have a resin piece on it.

I will be getting the model now next week as the hobby shop sold it before I got there,but I managed to snag a 1:24 2006 GT5000 diecast model from Wal-Mart,the base color is already black but it has a gold racing stripe down the center of it that I have to sand off and then repaint the car.I will also be modding the hood on this one but it won't be hollow for the scanner because diecast is a b!tch to cut.This model will be the normal Hero KITT.

It's looking like I will have a small fleet of Knight vehicles.I want to make the FLAG Mobile Semi and Goliath.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:26 am

Please email me when you make the hood available for the 1:24 model. I have to find one, now. What company is making them, Monogram?

Chris

Knight6000
Recruit

Post by Knight6000 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:25 pm

Ok I've got a 1:24 diecast model right now that I plan on making an add on hood scoop where the scanner would be,and I will make a mold of that and you will have to glue it onto the existing diecast hood.The company that puts out this one is 1 Badd Ride.The website is http://www.1baddride.com

Then I will be picking up the 1:25 plastic model put out by Revell and I will be totally cuting a hole in the hood and be building the hood scoop onto the hood and I will sell resin cast modded hoods.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:49 pm

OK, I'd be interested in the cut out hood for the 1/25 Revell model, so let me know when you are done with that. Meanwhile, I'll keep my eyes opened for the actual Revel model. Did you say it was a 2007? Is there a difference between that and the 2008? And are the wheels different?

Chris

Knight6000
Recruit

Post by Knight6000 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:57 pm

Its actually a 2006.I'm not sure the differences,but I'm sure some of the more diehard fans would be able to tell you the differences.

It will have to do for me until the 2008 GT500KR model comes out.

Knight6000
Recruit

Post by Knight6000 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:58 pm

For those interested I'm starting on the hood scoop for the diecast Mustang later today.I will be taking WIP pictures as I go along,hopefully I will have the resin pieces done in a few weeks to be able to sell some to you guys.

I'll also have a price for the the piece at that time.

GTiGirl
Rookie

Post by GTiGirl » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Last week i've bought this:

When I saw it reminded me immediately of KITT and I had to buy! :mrgreen:

Hope you like 8)
Knight Rider Portugal: http://knightriderportugal.forumeiros.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:40 am

Good news guys!!!! There will be a 1/18 scale model of KITT in Shelby Cobra form as seen in the tv movie!!!! The model is manufactured from Shelby collectibles.... Available for preorder >>>> http://www.diecastmuscle.com/store/SCDC ... 08kr02.jpg

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:56 pm

I've posted this elsewhere on the board, but wanted to make sure you saw it. I wrote to the guys who made the hood and scanner for the TV movie (Auto Indulgence Inc) about a scanner for the model. Here is the reply:

Hello Chris,

We don't have anythiong for a 1/18 or 1/24 model car, the specs on the light are very detailed and complex designed circut board. The board itself is 5" x 12" and that doesn't even include the LED boards... I will look in to making a light for those of you that want it... Please give us the size that you would need and we will see what we can do.. Below is what is being sent out to people interested in the full size light...

We are working on the hood design in a customer version, below is what we are sending out in reply to the interest in the scanner.
We do have a 15" light available that is already made (not from the knight rider movie) http://shop.autoi.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm/ID/4408

Thank you for your interest in the Knight Rider Scanner... We will be
making a limited number of scanners on the first run, we will how ever be
making some in Red & Amber. We will inform you about two weeks before they
will be available, please understand that we have received many requests for
this item and will only be making about 200 units to start and only 30 of
the Amber units. Everyone that has sent us an e-mail request for the item
will be informed first. We are still working on modifying the scanner with
some extra features etc... We are still working on pricing.., will have the
hood also available with or without the light installed (hood will fit 05-09
Mustang).

We will then send a e-mail blast to everyone on our e-mail list (26k)
As of right now we have about 195 people that have sent us a e-mail request.
All of the people that send us an e-mail will be notified first, then in 4
days we will make them available to the public. We will also have the hoods
available with or without lights... (it will be about 2 months before we
have a finished product, but will have some prototypes that we will offer
soon).

As of right now the hood will cost about $900 and the lights we are still
working to get the cost to be more affordable.

If you have any further question please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,
Pierre Hoffmann

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:20 pm

If a new series is made and proves popular, I would like to see Hasbro make a talking K.I.T.T. with lights and sounds along with a Mike Tracer figure. Maybe they would even do a remake of the Kenner K.I.T.T. toy.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:44 am

Judd wrote:If a new series is made and proves popular, I would like to see Hasbro make a talking K.I.T.T. with lights and sounds along with a Mike Tracer figure. Maybe they would even do a remake of the Kenner K.I.T.T. toy.
Though I highly doubt Hasbro would do it... It wld be a dream come true, but I highly doubt we'll see Hasbro or any other manufacturers doing it.... As of now, a 1/18 scale model of the car is good enough.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:15 pm

I wrote to the manager at Monogram (I have her email from another time) and asked if there were plans for a new KITT Knight Rider model based on the Mustang and she said not at this time. I guess they have to wait and see if it's picked up on the fall schedule.

Chris

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:02 pm

For those interested I'm starting on the hood scoop for the diecast Mustang later today.I will be taking WIP pictures as I go along,hopefully I will have the resin pieces done in a few weeks to be able to sell some to you guys.

I'll also have a price for the the piece at that time.
How's that going? I'm still interested!!

Chris

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:45 pm

OK, try these 2 places. First one is a do it yourself, second (I hope they're still around) is probably what you really want:

Schematic:
http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects ... index.html

Ready built:
http://www.knightlight.co.uk/pr-ks5008.asp

Hope this was helpful

Chris

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:06 am

Auto Indulgence wrote back to me about the new scanner. Here's the reply followed by my reply...

Right now, the Knight Raider is the only one we have...Total would be $88.70...with shipping . We are working on a consumer model that will be sold as a 17" unit or a complete unit 32" long, but with some changes that we have to make it may not be ready until late Oct. The cost will be about $500. for the first run and about $300 for the next. The more we make the cheaper they will be.
We will be selling one of the originals on E-bay Sept 25
But the starting price will be $5,000... it's the same exact one used in the film.

Auto Indulgence, Inc.

Again, thanks for taking the time to write. With the series being picked up, I'm sure it will be very successful and your lights will be in high demand. I'm sure you know how popular the after market conversion kits are for the original KITT, including the scanner.
In considering a circuit for a model, don't worry too much about the PCB board size. I would make a base for the model and hide the electronics in the base. There would be a lot less LEDs, of course, because we are talking about a hood that would only be about 4" or 5" across on a 1/24th scale model.
I didn't know you were the guys who made the Knight Raider! I bought one for my daughter's car and put it right in front of her Grill. She LOVES it, and is now commenting how much it looks like the New Knight Rider scanner. Nice Job!!!
I'll post your reply, again, on the Knight Rider boards. Please keep me informed with any new developments.
Would you consider selling the schematic for the scanner?

Chris

KITT Season 4
Rookie

Post by KITT Season 4 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:55 pm

http://www.diecastmuscle.com/2008_Ford_ ... 08kr02.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Picture