Things that bother you about KR classic

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightturbo
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Things that bother you about KR classic

Post by knightturbo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:18 am

Once in a while there are things that bother me about the show...like the fact KITT often leaves the mobile KNIGHT trailer truck and does a donut 360 at the same place (location Griffith park LA more often than not) no matter where in the country Michael and KITT are supposed to be...does anyone else notice that? Or am I watching this show too much.
-----------------------------------------> :kitt2:
Last edited by knightturbo on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

lucid hysteria
Volunteer

Re: Things that bother you about KR classic

Post by lucid hysteria » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 pm

David Hasselhoff.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:21 pm

knightturbo wrote:Once in a while there are things that bother me about the show...like the fact KITT often leaves the mobile KNIGHT trailer truck and does a donut 360 at the same place (location Griffith park LA more often than not) no matter where in the country Michael and KITT are supposed to be is...does anyone else notice that? Or am I watching this show too much.
They reused a lot of footage in KR because it was cheaper that way.

One of the big things that bugged me in the original series was the use of those damned models. :x
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

knightturbo
Volunteer

Post by knightturbo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:43 am

Sure I know resuse of stock footage allows for cheaper post but gimme a break. They could have shot multiple angles and thereby had a vast array of choices from one location shoot. But instead its THE same angle used multiple times within the same season. Way too many times not to notice IMHO. Anyways...I digress. Still love the show. :kittside:

I actually used to know someone who shot those miniatures. Not the best looking when matching the live action. :| They were fairly large (about five foot), but in some cases and in later seasons I believe, they used standard store bought plastic KITT 'kits'. :)

As for the HOFF...he takes a lot of flak, but in many ways I think he's alot like Elvis in that he never was appreciated for his acting. Actually I think that's what made the show as much as the TA, Devin etc...it was one of those rare mixes that worked. I don't know that it will work in the new show unless they get the right chemistry with the cast.

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:40 am

This subject probably has been covered before in this forum, but the thing that I always wondered and it has kinda bothered me about the classic KR, is how did Wilton knew Michael was shot in the desert. I can't remember if it was ever explained in any of the episodes. But, I was just curious if anyone else had any ideas on the subject.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:12 am

i dont think Wilton was following ML, i think he had actually been tracing the movements of Tanya Walker and knew they would be heading that way at some point soon...

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:51 am

lucid hysteria wrote:David Hasselhoff.
lmao, I love those 2 word responses.

KnightLegend
Rookie

Post by KnightLegend » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:51 am

Nothing bothered me about the original, I regard it as flawless and perfectly executed.

greelywinger
Rookie

Post by greelywinger » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:47 am

How about Hasselhoff's cheesey fight scenes? The were all the same.
I can imagine some stunt cordinator saying...
"OK David, we want you to do a reverse swing kick"
"I'd like my songs to be durable to the ear and exciting to the mind" Marc Bolan

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:51 am

knightturbo wrote:Once in a while there are things that bother me about the show...like the fact KITT often leaves the mobile KNIGHT trailer truck and does a donut 360 at the same place (location Griffith park LA more often than not) no matter where in the country Michael and KITT are supposed to be...does anyone else notice that? Or am I watching this show too much.
A 360 huh? That would've been interesting... :lol:

The only thing that really bothers me about the old series were those damn models. ESPECIALLY when they used them for things they didn't need to. Like in Goliath, sure I get it for when they collide, but they use the model to show KITT driving around when they're just "jousting" - why?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

greelywinger
Rookie

Post by greelywinger » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 pm

360? I thought he did a 180. :?
"I'd like my songs to be durable to the ear and exciting to the mind" Marc Bolan

jimknight
Rookie

Post by jimknight » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:29 pm

not allot bothered me about the original KR to be honest i thought it was brilliant all round. only one thing did that did bother me was the models used as a few people have mentioned further up.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:50 am

The models next to never bothered me. Then again, I didn't have well recieved channels for KR and they were pretty easy to overlook. Well...KITT's dip into the chemical pit was beyond a slap in the face. Though, the recycled footage, especially when the landmarks were so unique, being used over and over and over got tiresome.

By the time the DVD's were released, I found all the flaws and cheap shortcuts to be cute more then anything. Discovering them was like finding buried treasure. Especially when things were so obvious that it was laughable that they didn't try to counter it.

Now, my favorite 'left in flaw' is from season four. They so obviously stopped caring in the cutting room floor when an easily tossable scene where KITT drives by the camera was used. Why toss it? Because, as clear as day, KITT's reflective surface shines the entire camera rig and operator across the door. In fact, I'd like to make that shot my new avatar, some day. It's like they revealed how KITT pulled off all those impossible image shots from past episodes.

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:14 pm

I would say the thing that bothered more the most from the original series wasn't the reused footage or the apparent technical goofs, or even the models, but the fact that KITT or the bad guys can see things from camera angles that you KNOW weren't there. Like in Goliath, when the truck crashed through the fence there is a camera on the inside perfectly positioned to watch him crash through and keep going. Or even inside Red Bluff itself. I dunno, maybe someone could say they tapped into security cameras to watch it, but it just seems more unbelievable to me than the models or reused footage. Maybe I am just too picky... :-)

I know there are other instances where they did this, but I can't think of them at the moment. Can anyone think of any other times they did this?

Troglodad
Stranger

Post by Troglodad » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:11 pm

Okay, just started rewatching KR with my daughter. Some of these episodes I bet I never saw. We're on Season 1 right now...

And I want to know- who the hell is Michael talking to when he drives KITT? it's like he's looking at the monitors in front of the passenger seat, when the flashing B-9-type red light thingy is over the steering wheel.

And about that... in the car, it's got a white square with Knight Industries or something on it. But the stock footage/close up of the same voice thing shows it as a red square. What's the story on that?

:dash: