did you like the nbc kr movie??

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Did you like the nbc kr movie?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 180

IceSage
Volunteer

Re: did you like the nbc kr movie??

Post by IceSage » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:27 am

Its odd as I see folks, even not in the Knight Rider forum, expressing disappointment that KITT or the show did not live up to expectations.

I do recall that I was not a huge fan of the original pilot, KITT did not have a great personality to him, he was kinda lame. (and how many KITT stunts in the pilot again?) As the show progressed, KITT became more loose and humorous. The show and the characters developed. I think we are jaded comparing ONE pilot to 4 seasons of fun!

I do hope the series uses a bit of the Hoff as Mike's mentor, tie into the old days.
Well said!

Also, the company of the Trans Am, or some company, actually did NOT want the car being referred to as a Trans Am... because KITT was just so awesome back then, everyone expected trans ams to look like KITT.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:18 am

I just finally got around to watching it for a second time and while the emblem attention still annoys me, my overall opinion has improved a bit as at least a couple of my nagging story issues were a made a less significant, especially the hacking issue which is almost totally resolved for me, though no reason was said while KITT couldn't just shut down wireless communications instead of just trying to jam them unsuccessfully, maybe it was being prevented and yes they did have the car's schematics which made it easier, not to mention the car wasn't 100% ready yet so I'm now fine with it. I think I'll go from originally giving it an 8/10 to an 8.5/10. :D
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:23 am

ckeller22 wrote:
Here are comparisons as I see it:
If KITT encounters brute force only, KITT with self-healing would be better.
If KITT encounters a smart science freak with a pea shooter, KITT with MBS would be better.
If KITT encounters brute force and a smart science freak, KITT with MBS still has a slight advantage because it would seem that you would at least have some protection and possibly be able to escape to safety. Whereas you are unprotected with a KITT that lost it’s self-healing, so you (and KITT) are more vulnerable.
So MBS wins, 2 to 1.
Fyi-KITT 2000 was hacked by a high school geek with a comodore 64 computer in the original gee that makes him superior to the 3000 that was hacked using specs and blueprints of him from Charles hard drives-you make no sense you contradict yourself.It's ok for KITT 2000 to be hacked into by a high schooler with a far less inferior computer hacking him how can you justify that.
I never said that the KITT 2000 couldn’t be hacked and yes I know that KITT 2000 was hacked by a kid. That was lame and unjustifiable. I’m just saying that when both KITTs are hacked that the KITT 2000 will at least have it’s MBS whereas the KITT 3000 will be vulnerable.
KITT be physically aerodynamic instead of being magically aerodynamic from some kind of weird science. It would look more believable that it could do 300+ and look way more advanced than a ‘60s styled car.
Again it's called nano technology (not magical weird science)which is REAL today. Carnegie Melon is working on it go find the post read educate yourself and watch the video on it. The producers wanted to use technology that is present today not in 1982.
This is interesting. You are correct that I don’t know about nano technology. I’ve just heard that it’s being worked on. So are you saying that even though KITT is in the physical shape of a Mustang, the nano technology will somehow create something invisible in front of the car to make it more aerodynamic? If this is true, it’s too bad the double spoilers weren’t invisible too.
Since KITT was too weak to defend itself against the “hacking”, I don’t see how they will improve KITT that much so KITT’s computer won’t be vulnerable in some way.
Answered that above 1980's high school geek with comodore hacks KITT 2000,umm...why couldn't KITT 2000 defend himself against a hack from a cheesy comodore 64 isn't that considered weak. FYI again at the end of the movie before Sarah kisses Mike she tells him we re calibrated KITTS systems so he can never be hacked into again ,I guess you missed that .
Yes, that is considered weak and yes, I did miss what Sarah said before the kiss. That might have been when a guy I was watching the show with kept saying, “Smoochie, smoochie, smoochie!!!.” I was distracted a couple of times at that part. At any rate, I don’t believe her if the show goes at least two seasons. Somebody will be able to compromise KITT somehow. Maybe by using a strong electrical burst or something.
Bad morals by the FBI woman and Mike doesn't need to be included
What gives you the right that says she is not a moral person why because she is gay. That is so ignorant i can't even fathom it. So all gay people are murderers ,thieves,child molester,etc. thats so ridiculous that gay people don't have morals.

There are people who believe that gay activities are immoral. I’m sorry you can’t fathom that when there is documentation that says gay activity is immoral. It would be better to keep this stuff out of a show that attracts young children to help parents out. Parents have enough of a challenge as it is. We could debate on and on about the morals of being gay and if gays are born that way and so on. It is a controversial subject that should not of been included in a fun kind of crime fighting show. And I do not hate gays and lesbians.
In the original Knight Rider, immoral behaviors like murder and stealing were obviously looked down
And the constant womanizing which KITT 2000 complained about is moral. How about Michael Knight running up a tab needing a credit card for the amount of alcohol he consumed and than driving off-yea your going to say well KITT could take over-cheesy.I could go on and point out flaws of immoral behavior in the original as well
Good point. You win on this one. Even though it wasn’t as obvious, the original also had bad morals that should not of been included.
As I mentioned in my last post, the original Knight Rider had flaws to, but not as many.
I think you need to watch your Knight Rider DVD's again.That's all i am going to say because there are flaws,mistakes,big plot hole galore all over the original but you just think that it is perfect and the new one is junk so each it's own but do some research watch the show a million times like i did and compare it for what it really is and don't put the new one down for things that you find acceptable that the original did that is being a hypocrite.
I never said the original was perfect. In fact I said that the original KR had flaws too. I also never said that the new one is junk. In fact I said it was OK and I even listed some good things about in my first post on this thread! I never said that none of the flaws in the new one weren’t in the old one also. If you add up all the flaws from all 4 seasons of KR then, yes, you will find more flaws. But if you compare apples to apples, pilot to pilot, the original did not have as many flaws. And I just watched the original pilot last Friday.
One man did make a difference.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:08 am

GhstbstrLMLIII wrote:
flemmo wrote:I was surprised to See Glen A Larson as an executive producer. I thought the NBC pilot was against his wishes and he wanted nothing to do with it? sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. its hard keeping up with all the posts.
This was the exact question I had in first seeing the credits. With all of the bad blood I've seen on this board between the series and the to-be movie by Larson, I did a double-take when he was shown as executive producer. Where does this put the movie now? Will he be doing both, or has he resigned to the series? Admittedly, I don't know much about the inner workings of Hollywood business - but this move was unexpected.

Overall, I enjoyed the pilot. Agreed, there were several agenda scenes which attributed nothing to the plot, but looking past those, I enjoyed it for what it was - a new knight rider with a kick-@ss car. Originally I was leary of a mustang - but the Shelby just looks sweet. Plus, it's got the power under the hood which can be greatly used when this gets picked up for a season. I even enjoyed the 4-part commercial about Mike's date. That was the kind of humor the original show had.
It's simple enough really, since Glen Larson is the shows creator (regardless of the fact NBC have TV show writes) they have to offer him the role by law.
He didn't have to, he could have said no but as we can see he said yes. We dont know why, perhaps money ( i doubt that), perhaps it's a window to let him self back into helping with the series if the bad blood between them is dealt with. (Fingers crossed) Then again perhaps it's just the smugness that KR fans know who he is and the new show can't take that away from even if he isn't a proper part of the series anymore :)

Oh and the movie is still going head apparently :)
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

300mph/SPM
Volunteer

Post by 300mph/SPM » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:07 am

Hello everybody.

Well I saw the new movie or tv-series pilot how ever you want to call it.

There were good things and bad things I liked about the movie.
First I say that it's a great thing that we finally got a new Knight Rider tv-presentation. I'm still wishing that they would make a really good videogame of the subject like GTA Vice City kind but only by Knight Rider in it.

Anyway back to the point.

I was pleased that the movie haves same kind of humour than original series. The fight scenes and car chases were made better than in 80's (there were enough speed in chases).
I also liked the main character Michael Knight's son Mike. He obiviously is popular among ladies like his father and haves a short temper like his father.
No body can't replace Edward Mulhare but the inventor of KITT is very good at this part and fits well in the role of second father.
I usually complain about digital effects but they were pretty much ok in here.

But then there are things which I wasn't so pleased.
Firstly the script was too direct "road". If we compare this with the original pilot "Knight in Phonex" the new one looses hands down. The new one was more like car commercial, how comfortable the car is on the road and so on.
The relationship beetween man and machine was written better than in new one.
Then there wasn't really big twist/climax in storyline. Ok. Mike learns that there was another car, Michael Knigh drove it who was his father and so on but viewers knew this already.
Maybe the kill of Mike's mother was the biggest surprise.

Then I was dissapointed 'cause there wasn't enough action with car. They had one collision which was great job from makers but I would love to see more like that.
The original pilot haves more stunts which are trademark of Knight Rider today. Did they have a bigger budget back then, I don't know. But it's amazing that they really made more stunts back then even they didn't have digital effects to make it easier.

Then the car... 90% of people in internet have knocked Mustang down as role of KITT.
I don't have anything against Mustang it could be a fine car for the role but they should been customize it more. There should be the extra part on cars nose to make it more aerodynamic. Say what you want but it is the imago of KITT and it's not 80's it could been done modern style.
Making the car look like that is same like cutting ears off on Batman's mask.

But that's how I felt about the outfit of the car. The inside look was great. It was modern and they made a great face lift for the voicebox.

I hope that Ford understands that they have their commercial value done and they would give a permission to customize the car more.

So better storyline, more action and less facelift for the car. Then I'm happy.

:kitt:

optimus
Volunteer

Post by optimus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:26 am

Sorry to distract from the positive notes on the new movie but....

Glenn Larson was lured by the FORD infused dough....just like Arnold was paid 30M for T3. The ratio of happy viewers to disppointed is probably 10/80 % just like the KR3000 was. Yes, I heard that the Nielson ratings were good but considering it was Sunday night and people needed something new to fill those sets so what the heck. It was a kick in the butt to all the KR fan clubs so good luck to you all.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:35 am

optimus wrote:Glenn Larson was lured by the FORD infused dough....
Do you have any proof (an article, a business report, video etc.) that indicates Glen Larson received money from Ford? I'm really curious to see if that is the case or if you're just speculating.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:38 am

Optimus "wrote"Glenn Larson was lured by the FORD infused dough....
Well hate to break your bubble but how could he be lured by Ford when he had nothing to do with the new NBC Knight Rider. Glen Larson was not involved with the NBCU Knight Rider tv movie so saying that is not true . Glen Larson is working on a theatrical version that is not related to the NBCU project.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:11 pm

Gotta love when people post things which they have no idea as to what they're "talking" about. Which is becoming common here with the new trolls...

Glen Larson had it in his contracts that he retains the film rights to shows he created while studios have the TV rights however if new TV programs were to come out from his concepts/creations he would receive a executive producer credit, even if he had nothing to do with the program, just like the new Battlestar Galactica. The studio however is supposed to give him the chance to review the program or script before they do so so he can decide whether or not he actually wants his name attached. Money has nothing to do with it and in this instance, from what was said here awhile ago, NBC didn't approach him before hand and there was a rumor of the Larson camp filing suit over it. Don't know what's become of that though he allowed his name to be attached to crap like KR2000 and TKR though the situation is a bit different this time with his working on a script for The Weinstein Company for a re-imagining of the original Knight Rider. Which, *GASP* won't involve a Trans-Am or pretty much anyone from the original production.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

knightrider4000
Stranger

Post by knightrider4000 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:16 pm

it was good but....never be THE KR 2000!!

Dalton
Recruit

Post by Dalton » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:54 pm

I liked it a lot, I thought one or two things could have been better. A bit more action and some car stunts but apart from that I enjoyed it. I also like the Shelby, I think it's cool to have the contrast between the old and the new.

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Hated it. And not even as a Knight Rider pilot. I hated it on its own account. If this is a sample of the level of writing and acting we'll be getting, should the show be greenlit, then I'll pass.

And what's the deal with KITT being everyone's therapist? The only time he spoke was to ask how Sarah or Mike were feeling. Considerate, sure, but if that's what they spent millions on building, that was a pretty crappy investment.

subliminal1284
Volunteer

Post by subliminal1284 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:49 pm

If NBC was smart they would make the Rustang destroyed in the first season and then have the original KITT rebuilt but with all brand new technology.

knightrover
Volunteer

Post by knightrover » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:35 am

i thought the new knight rider movie was great, i cant wait till it goes to series.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:58 am

subliminal1284 wrote:If NBC was smart they would make the Rustang destroyed in the first season and then have the original KITT rebuilt but with all brand new technology.
:roll:

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:34 am

subliminal1284 wrote:If NBC was smart they would make the Rustang destroyed in the first season and then have the original KITT rebuilt but with all brand new technology.
If you were smart you should know that this will never happen! :roll:

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:30 am

"The Knight 3000 should have been destroyed and replaced with the original car from the 80's!"

"IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A CORVETTE!"

"They should have stayed with the Turbo Boost function!"

None of this really matters!!! You guys tend to be concerned about the car whereas bringing back the original one (from the 80's TV show) won't change the authenticity of this NBC movie! Do you really think that another car will change the character roleplay in terms of acting and dialogue or a better plot?

Hardly...

What this movie REALLY needed was Hasselhoff in the lead as Michael Knight, not some boyscout from the freakin' suers...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

cLa007
Stranger

Post by cLa007 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:03 pm

I loved it I can't for more, infact I told some guys at work about it re-airing I think they plan to watch it.

LMolineuxLM1
Volunteer

Post by LMolineuxLM1 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:21 pm

I think i grabbed a few more people to watch it or re-watch it, a friend of mine is actually going to watch it on his digital cable box at home so that should be tracked, one more viewer might help in a sense, As WK and MK said "ONE MAN CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE" well "ONE MORE VIEWER CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE" we shall see.

Black Cat
Recruit

Post by Black Cat » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:40 pm

I just wanted a little hint that the KI2000 AI still existed, nothing much. (maybe there was hint and I missed it?)
I had this funny feeling during the first scene, that this little spider-looking robot had KI2000's AI (notice that it had the old-KITT's looking scanner).
My favorite scene was when that guy in the beginning driving a huge truck see's KITT in the mirror and then he fly's right by him and then the theme song comes on. That was a HOT SCENE!
Agreed! That was my favourite scene in the movie. It was so Knight Rider and old-school!

Overall, the movie was decent but there was one thing that really annoyed me. Michael Knight would never risk innocent people's life (as did Mike Traceur, he could've killed Charles Grainman in the SUV crash scene actually, think of it).

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

Post by Johnathan Kent » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:33 pm

I liked the new Knight Rider movie but not enough exposition on where Michael has been for the last 25 years, what happened to the Knight Industries Two Thousand, who Michael Tracuer is and who Charles Graiman is...and the new KITT reminds me too much of the Knight Industries 4000 and KARR, which was kinda cool!
Charles Edward Untz III

jblinkinsop
Stranger

2 Hour Ford Commercial.

Post by jblinkinsop » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:36 am

Well, I liked the fact that it was a sequel. I am really bummed that this turned into a bidding war instead of doing what would be best for the franchise, they chose to auction the roll of K.I.T.T off to the highest bidder. If you couldn't guess it Ford won. The movie was ok but it really was one long Ford Commercial. The hotel room attendant that was killed even had a big scene with him reading an add for the new fords. wow. The New K.I.T.T is a little much, it can do everything but fly. I like the idea of a molecular bonded shell that can deflect anything over nano techno. that can "heal" anything. Would it have been so hard to make the scanner on the front of the car? If this new K.I.T.T is so advanced then why was it hacked into in the first episode!!!!!! I like Mustangs but I just think that K.I.T.T should have stayed a Trans Am. I'm glad they had the Hoff in it. How awesome would it be if he got into a Black Trans am and drove away ! ! I really hope he as a larger roll in the upcoming series and of course I PRAY we see the return if only for 1 episode of the original K.I.T.T

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

Post by Johnathan Kent » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:50 am

would love to see a new KARR (in a way) the original prototype that the 3000 model was designed from...kinda like KARR was for KITT was in the original series...
Charles Edward Untz III

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

KI3T hacking

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:17 am

jblinkinsop wrote:If this new K.I.T.T is so advanced then why was it hacked into in the first episode!!!!!!
It's been mentioned before and the answer is quite simple, the hard drives for Prometheus were stolen, they also contained KI3T's specs which were obviously looked at, so it wasn't protect properly or as well as prometheus. The Black River guys had a pre written hacking program which hacked KI3T just as he said "with suprising efficiency". It is easy the to understand that the program was made using his specs especially as Black River when to regroup, get further instructions from an unknown villain (who many hope turns out to be Garth Knight) which is surely when they got/made that program.

Also on a slightly seperate note it occurred to me that although they got the hard drives back and Prometheus wasn't touched, KI3T's files were could have easily been copied and opens the window for the return of KARR. (one similar to KI3T rather than KITT) The original KARR's shell was completely destroyed but we could assume/stretch our minds to believe that his cpu was salvagable (similar to KITT when pulled from the acid pit)
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Re: KI3T hacking

Post by NeoRanger » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:10 pm

Niggle Snoosh wrote: It's been mentioned before and the answer is quite simple, the hard drives for Prometheus were stolen, they also contained KI3T's specs which were obviously looked at, so it wasn't protect properly or as well as prometheus. The Black River guys had a pre written hacking program which hacked KI3T just as he said "with suprising efficiency". It is easy the to understand that the program was made using his specs especially as Black River when to regroup, get further instructions from an unknown villain (who many hope turns out to be Garth Knight) which is surely when they got/made that program.
I personally don't buy it. Not so much because it's impossible, but because it was a bit too raw for a plot device.

"Ehm, some guys just hacked me and OMIGOSH if I don't shut down, I'll turn bad. You have to drive me manually now"

Really, was that necessary at all?