Theories and Answers - The Back Story *spoilers*

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

GoodKnight
Stranger

Theories and Answers - The Back Story *spoilers*

Post by GoodKnight » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:02 pm

Some of the haunting questions left after watching NBC's new Knight Rider are:

- What happened to the original KITT?
- Where has Michael Knight been that forced him to leave his family completely, and what does he do now?

I have seen some posts asking, "Is KITT (the original) dead?" I have to admit, that I was saddened by the implication that he has been disassembled and that he parts lay scattered around Graiman's garage. Also, it seems pretty sad that Michael would abandon his family. However, with some optimism I have assembled the following theory that seems to fit the facts.

FACT - The new show acknowledges KITT (original) as one of the most advanced forms of AI ever created.

FACT - You would have to have a pretty darn good reason to take KITT apart. (Even last year's model would be pretty darn useful in almost infinite capacities.)

FACT - Graiman developed Prometheus - a highly sophisticated network that interfaces with systems across the planet.

FACT - Graiman explains that Michael Knight left his family "not for a lack of caring" but for "obligations he couldn't abandon." It is implied that Graiman knows what those responsibilities are.

So where does that leave us?

Graiman gutted the original KITT in order to utilize KITT in a different capacity. He took the computer, it's knowledge, its personality, its experience, everything except the shell around it (the car), and built a system called Prometheus. Remember that KITT was more than just a computer. He learned, he grew, he evolved through his relationship with people and his missions with Michael. Thus KITT was more agile, more powerful, and more innovative than any other AI system Graiman could have deployed for Promethius. My guess is that Promethius was deployed at a time when the world was hanging by a thread (unknown to the world at large) due to some creative crisis or another, and the deployment of the system stabilized the situation and protected the world at a global level. My guess is that it is all KITT - that he is in fact Promethius. Michael Knight was instrumental in averting the aforementioned crisis by working closely with his old pal (in his new form) and saving the day. That partnership continues - and the role they play is extremely significant. Michael has stayed away from his family because his relationship with KITT/Promethius is vital to global defense - and also to protect them from those who would exploit them in order to gain an advantage over Michael.

So - that is my theory. Have at it!!

Have a Good Knight All!

:kittside:

kido
Operative

Re: Theories and Answers - The Back Story *spoilers*

Post by kido » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:15 pm

That seems to be a sound theory. They maybe even send the team from one place to another, from the jet they have.
Knight Industries Defence One

goldbug
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by goldbug » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:05 am

You know, I really like that. The idea that the 2000 KITT might be "watching over" our current heroes really appeals to me. It also elevates his status significantly. :)
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

prairiecrow
Volunteer

Post by prairiecrow » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:12 am

Heh. I suggested this very possibility (if not in such specific detail) in another thread earlier this afternoon. :) Dibs! :mrgreen:

Here:

http://www.knightrideronline.com/forum/ ... 41&t=11056

Needless to say, I like the idea a lot.

GoodKnight
Stranger

Post by GoodKnight » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:29 am

Prairiecrow, you are quite correct! You do get dibs! I like the way you think! :) I hope we're right. I agree with Goldbug that it is much more fun to think that our beloved characters are still being heroic and occupy a position of great significance. That's a lot better than our old buddies being "put out to pasture". I think that it is likely that we are correct. The facts add up - and also the writers seem to be fans of the source material. Hopefully, they, like us, cherish the original characters and, if the series gets made, will give them a place of honor in the evolving Knight Rider universe.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:44 am

I like the idea! But if they are "forgetting" TKR and KR2000, then wouldn't Promethius be like The Shadow? I was just thinking that when I read it.

But it does seem plausable because KITT did say he had access to all of Graiman's knowledge (could Graiman also have uploaded his brain and all of his knowledge as a backup inside of Promethius though? Not sure on this either). And KITT said he had full access to Promethius. So maybe KITT the KI3K isn't just a new car/computer, but an *extension* of Promethius and thus the original KITT with an extension/device with it's own AI that interoperates with the original AI?

That is what I'm starting to think, at least... The two AIs are actually merged into one system via networks.

Now if KARR comes back and gets in as a "virus" we could really have quite a story! :)

prairiecrow
Volunteer

Post by prairiecrow » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:51 am

GoodKnight wrote:Prairiecrow, you are quite correct! You do get dibs! I like the way you think! :)
Thank you kindly. And it's certainly a big enough -- and good enough -- idea to share. 8)

If the producers realize and respect how fans of the original show feel about KITT, I think that it's definitely the way for them to go. As I was working this afternoon, I even mocked up a scene where Mike Traceur runs into (well, is manipulated into meeting) the older KITT/Prometheus, who proceeds to inform him in no uncertain terms of what a remarkable man his father was.

Heh. I can dream, can't I?

TheMechanic
Rookie

Post by TheMechanic » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:32 am

I think...my mind just broke a little bit. But I love it!
It sounds like a solid theory to me, too. And KITT wasn't totally disassembled, his body was intact in the garage, if Is aw correctly. But the idea of KITT still being an active system makes me all giggly inside. :lol:
Turbo Boost, Baby!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:33 am

Which is why he was renamed Prometheus as the new car/computer would be named KITT. :)

Stinch
Volunteer

Post by Stinch » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:00 pm

I love this idea the fact that the 2 of them can work together!!
We will just have to wait and see Fingers crossed it gets picked up as a series!! :kitt:

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:45 pm

The only thing that this can work is that Will Daniels is willing to do the voice again. :kitt:
Knight Industries Defence One

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:38 am

I just did a search to find this topic, as I mentioned the Prometheus/KITT thing earlier and then saw it was mentioned before but I think we're on the right page though it gives me yet more flashbacks to TKR. *Shudders*

Anyone want to try and tie in the Prometheus from Greek mythology with how it could play out in a story with this? I've got the general "stealing fire from the gods and giving it to people" thing but still trying to think of a good way to mirror it with the AI of the original KITT, I think the idea above is a good start. I think it's safe to say that in one way KITT had become sentient and maybe even morally the perfect "human" in that respect, like if Sky-Net didn't go crazy and try to eliminate and enslave humanity. If anyone wants to read a bit on Prometheus click the wiki link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:40 pm

I think its a very sound theory, makes a lot os sense. It would give William Daniels a chance to reprise his role and would negate the need for the T/A to reappear.
All in all it would be a very cool thing to happen but it would break my heart a little to have my dream of seeing KITT and KI3T driving side by side fighting crime but i would probably adjust.
then again i suppose you could argue that his conciousness could be downloaded back if ever need be.
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Knight6000
Recruit

Post by Knight6000 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:40 pm

Very sound idea.

I'd love to see this implemented into the series and have William Daniel's back as Prometheus' voice.