Devon Miles

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Devon Miles

Post by knightofthephoenix » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:27 pm

Do you think Devon Miles is deceased? If he were still alive, Edward Mulhare would be turning 84 this year.

One of the biggest things that bothered me about KR2000, was his murder. Another poster mentioned they'd hope if he had passed it would be treated with a little more respect. I'm glad that the new series isn't acknowledging that movie in this Knight Rider timeline.

The character could also still be alive, though I would imagine he would be retired by this point. Personally, I don't think you can have Devon without Mr. Mulhare.

rizvi
Volunteer

Re: Devon Miles

Post by rizvi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:40 pm

Edward Mulhare passed away in 1997 from Lung cancer .. He fought the illness for months before Succumbing to it .

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:57 pm

Yes. I knew he had passed. I was wondering what others thought about the Devon Miles character.

rizvi
Volunteer

Post by rizvi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:11 am

I think they have too many characters right now .. They can drop the FBI agent and Mike's roommate as I think they're both unnecessary ..

Strange that there was no mention of Devon at all .. He should've been acknowledged .. Bonnie too ..

Maybe thye'll write them in when it goes to series this fall ..

GN_WS6
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by GN_WS6 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:24 am

knightofthephoenix wrote:Yes. I knew he had passed. I was wondering what others thought about the Devon Miles character.
Umm.. he died in "2000" in the KR2K thingy..
The real KITT was born a Trans Am.

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:17 am

GN_WS6 wrote:
knightofthephoenix wrote:Yes. I knew he had passed. I was wondering what others thought about the Devon Miles character.
Umm.. he died in "2000" in the KR2K thingy..
Which, if you'd followed the news that the rest of us have, you'd know does not exist in the Knight Rider 2008 timeline, as Knight Rider 2000, Knight Rider 2010, and Team Knight Rider are all being left in their own individual universes, with no connection to one another, or Knight Rider 2008, whatsoever.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

GN_WS6
Rookie

Post by GN_WS6 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:34 am

But TKR and KR 2010 weren't even aired on NBC, nor did they feature Hasselhoff. TKR only mentions MK here and there and KR 2010 really had nothing to do with anything, lol. :lol: Whereas KR2K was still based off of the series and was still considered an epilogue to the series. It also took place in 2000, this new series takes place now, so why couldn't they just run off of that? They could easily base a story off of KR2K with this new series. Well, not BASE it off of it, but still use some of the info given by that movie.. Other than cryogenic freezing and sonic guns, but they wouldn't even have to bring that crap up. Just the major issues, (MK retired in '90, Devon died in '00,etc.)

KR2K did air in 1991,after all. 17 years ago. It's not like the general audience would remember it anyway..

For example: FLAG shut down only a few years of the use of KIFT and its female pilot, Maddock could no longer get funding, etc, whatever.. If you remember, FLAG was on life support in that movie, so there ya go.. Not too difficult..

HanzenRider
Volunteer

Post by HanzenRider » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:02 am

As I remember after reading so many posts about the new Knight Rider, the producers made this Knight Rider movie with the idea that those 3 other Knight Rider spin-offs don't exist, which are KR2000 and KR2010, and TKR.

As for Devon, I think its best if his name is only mentioned in a special episode and explaining that he retired and never was heard from again, without saying that he died or anything. I think that's a nice way of ending Devon's character.
:kitt2:
HanzenRider

Valdez
Rookie

Post by Valdez » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:12 am

HanzenRider wrote: As for Devon, I think its best if his name is only mentioned in a special episode and explaining that he retired and never was heard from again, without saying that he died or anything. I think that's a nice way of ending Devon's character.
I don't know if him poofing out of existence settles very well with me. Retiring would be fine, saying that he died after he retired, that would be okay too...but I doubt he wouldn't keep in touch if he were hinted at still being alive, just going off Edward Mulhare's portrayal of him in the original series. Obviously no one should attempt to play him, but they could mention he retired and was living somewhere, if they're even going to allude to his char at all. I agree that he should at least be mentioned, I just don't know if saying he completely walked away from the Foundation in its entirety would sit well, it just seems to go against his character. I haven't heard anything about them not considering KR2OOO at all, but I could very well have missed something, if they are including it, then this conversation is over, since he did die. Though, I would be much happier if they were ignoring it because I felt his death was rather tasteless, though the flashback was nice.

Him being deceased, however, could possibly add an emotional layer to the show though, especially if Hasselhoff is going to be making appearances on a semi-regular basis.
~The Monster's Loose....:karr:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:14 am

Yes, if there is one thing I didn't like about the new Pilot is that they never mentioned Devon which was quite strange since he had a predominant part on the show next to Michael and KITT.

They mention Wilton who was in the original Pilot and had about 10 mins screen time but do not mention Devon. :roll:
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:42 am

It would not be hard to address this. I can see one of two scenarios playing out easily:

1) Someone related to Devon needs help (son, daughter etc.) and there is discussion about Devon's ultimate fate.

2) Traceur sees a picture of Devon (either on screen or hanging on a wall) and asks who that is and someone (Charles?) says something really quick that explains who he was and maybe that "He's retired now, and it's a much deserved rest." and leave it at that.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

HanzenRider
Volunteer

Post by HanzenRider » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:51 am

Well, we all need to keep in mind that the producers of Knight Rider couldn't make any changes in the dialogs or re-write a certain scene to add more emotion or mention Devon because the writers were on strike during the making of this movie and was not allowed to change anything. The original script itself was already approved and then the strike began. Correct me if Im wrong.

There is a possiblity that Devon may have a brother or sister unheard of that they could create for some episode for the new Knight Rider series so Devon wouldn't be completely out of the picture.

I still like my original idea of mention Devon retiring and hasn't been heard from since. A clean simple way of saying good-bye since they didn't really have a chance to do that in the original series, ignoring KR2000 movie. It only makes sense that they ignore KR2000 movie because of KIFT. Knight Industries ?FOUR? Thousand... In a way Im very glad they didnt use 3000 for the KR2000 movie.
:kitt2:
HanzenRider

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:41 am

Deciding on the fate of Devon won't be an easy choice for writers if the show goes to series since no matter if he has retired or passed on people will be upset but dealt with well will at least be considered acceptable.

As much as i do feel guilty for saying this i would probably prefer if the write in that he has passed away.
I feel that if he was wriiten out as retired it would be out of character for him not to offer his help/blessings on bringing back FLAG. Of course NO-ONE should ever be cast to replace his character so to me a far more logical solution would sadly be to kill him off.

I also feel that he wouldn't have retired from his role as head of FLAG without a fight if at all and in my mind it makes more sense that FLAG fell apart because of his death, which in itself shows how important he was to keeping Wilton Knight dream alive.

It's not a happy solution but probably the most logical. However if he is indeed dead or not there will need mention of him in the series. I assume the reason he wasn't mentioned in the pilot is because his fate was at the time undecided, it was safe to mention Wilton Knight since he fate has been part of the KR canon since the very beginning. I feel that there needs to be some way in which is memory is honoured in some way, a plaque in his honour or something named after him(weak ideas i know, but the best i can come up with on the spot)

Also i could easily imagine a scene in which Mike makes some Flippant comment regarding a picture of Devon, perhaps because he looks like a uncaring suit or Mike could alternately have a tantrum about the fact the Michael wanted to spend his time working for/with Devon rather than see his son.
This would happen in the company of Michael Knight who tears into him for it. (of course mentioning what a great man he was and a huge loss for us all) This creates more tension to the already awkward relationship they have due to Michaels absence in Mr tracers life which i expect would be a big part of the series if Michael Knight becomes a series regular.

Just an idea, try not to get to mad at me for it. I find it depressing that i seem to be pushing the agenda of his death since i was so upset when he died in KR200 ( yes i know it doesn't exist in the new timeline but it still got to me a great deal when i saw it)
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:55 pm

I've said it a few times already but Devon should have died either from illness (just as Edward Mulhare did) or just peacefully in his sleep and FLAG with it shortly after. I wouldn't have a problem with that, perhaps he was fighting for years to keep FLAG alive due to outside sources but when he was gone, there was no one else who could save it. They shouldn't just say he's retired because there's no point in that, I don't see Devon as retiring and since Edward Mulhare is not long alive, there really is no reason to leave any kind of opening, as if the character could come out from retirement.

Have a painting of him up somewhere in the new FLAG HQ. They shouldn't however, use the disgraceful killing off of the character that was displayed in KR2000. They should have a painting of Wilton Knight also, I doubt they'd have much trouble getting permission from Richard Basehart's family or Edward Mulhare's for that matter, at least I hope not.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:41 pm

Niggle Snoosh wrote: Just an idea, try not to get to mad at me for it. I find it depressing that i seem to be pushing the agenda of his death since i was so upset when he died in KR200 ( yes i know it doesn't exist in the new timeline but it still got to me a great deal when i saw it)
It got to me a great deal when I first saw it as well.

But I think it makes the most sense now. His character should be deceased - preferably just of old age. That could even be used to explain shutting down FLAG - that his death was unexpected and there either wasn't an adequate transition plan or it didn't go well.

It's an unfortunate scenario that happens to businesses each day.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:22 pm

I've been trying to convey my thoughts that Knight Rider 2000 should be counted as part of the continuity for a long time. For the most part the idea seems to be overlooked because the majority of fans either hated the movie, or didn't like the way Devon was killed. Not good enough reasons to not count the film as part of the continuity. Death is not pleasant for any character no matter how it occurred. Some say Devon deserved a better fate, well of course he did! But he didn't get it, and that created a great tragedy. It caused Michael to doubt Wilton's dying words, "One man can make a difference," and basically his entire purpose in the series. I'm not a particular fan of KR2K just like many of you, but there are a few good bits and pieces of story continuity and logical extrapolations scattered throughout. Actually, there was indeed better continuity with that film than the current telepic (not that I am saying the new telepic was bad), in my opinion. That's because KR2K's focus was on Michael, K.I.T.T. and Devon, whereas the new telepic's focus is on the new characters. So to be bashing it because it didn't provide adequate continuity isn't fair, because it's not meant to go down that route too much. That's stuff that should be left for a series later down the line.

Knight 4000 existing before the Knight 3000? Maybe that's a good enough reason to avoid putting the Knight 4000 in the movie (or, perhaps it could have been the car under the tarp, although it did appear to be the shape of another Trans Am), but it's not a good enough reason in & of itself to completely overwrite KR2K's existence. A throwaway line referencing that the car had to be dismantled due to the Knight Foundation losing funding is all that's required. But what about the numerical order of the cars, you ask? Simple. Knight Industries' circuitry series used only even numbers. When Knight Industries was shut down, Charles Graiman began his own freelance project to attempt to resurrect the original K.I.T.T. and over the course of the 8 years since KR2K, he developed the Knight 3000. In essence, the car was named the Knight 3000 because of Graiman's choice, not Devon or the other engineers at Knight Industries.

Despite the interviews and the fact that the film made no references to KR2K at all, I'm STILL not convinced that it's not counted as part of the continuity in this universe. Simply not referring to it doesn't mean it never existed. We simply do not know that as fact. The only way I'm going to be convinced that KR2K is not counted in this universe once and for all is if there's exposition in the possible series directly stating history that conflicts with KR2K.
Last edited by Lost Knight on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

You know, when I see Mike and from what little we know of his character, I really don't see him holding a grudge after learning the truth about his father. I see him understanding the situation and not being irrational about it. Sure they can butt heads and maybe something being said, but no drama in the sense of a long standing grudge.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:09 pm

Lost Knight wrote:I've been trying to convey my thoughts that Knight Rider 2000 should be counted as part of the continuity for a long time. For the most part the idea seems to be overlooked because the majority of fans either hated the movie, or didn't like the way Devon was killed. Not good enough reasons to not count the film as part of the continuity. Death is not pleasant for any character no matter how it occurred. Some say Devon deserved a better fate, well of course he did! But he didn't get it, and that created a great tragedy. It caused Michael to doubt Wilton's dying words, "One man can make a difference," and basically his entire purpose in the series. I'm not a particular fan of KR2K just like many of you, but there are a few good bits and pieces of story continuity and logical extrapolations scattered throughout. Actually, there was indeed better continuity with that film than the current telepic (not that I am saying the new telepic was bad), in my opinion. That's because KR2K's focus was on Michael, K.I.T.T. and Devon, whereas the new telepic's focus is on the new characters. So to be bashing it because it didn't provide adequate continuity isn't fair, because it's not meant to go down that route too much. That's stuff that should be left for a series later down the line.

Knight 4000 existing before the Knight 3000? Maybe that's a good enough reason to avoid putting the Knight 4000 in the movie (or, perhaps it could have been the car under the tarp, although it did appear to be the shape of another Trans Am), but it's not a good enough reason in & of itself to completely overwrite KR2K's existence. A throwaway line referencing that the car had to be dismantled due to the Knight Foundation losing funding is all that's required. But what about the numerical order of the cars, you ask? Simple. Knight Industries' circuitry series used only even numbers. When Knight Industries was shut down, Charles Graiman began his own freelance project to attempt to resurrect the original K.I.T.T. and over the course of the 8 years since KR2K, he developed the Knight 3000. In essence, the car was named the Knight 3000 because of Graiman's choice, not Devon or the other engineers at Knight Industries.

Despite the interviews and the fact that the film made no references to KR2K at all, I'm STILL not convinced that it's not counted as part of the continuity in this universe. Simply not referring to it doesn't mean it never existed. We simply do not know that as fact. The only way I'm going to be convinced that KR2K is not counted in this universe once and for all is if there's exposition in the possible series directly stating history that conflicts with KR2K.
The main reason i see that KR2000 should be ignored isn't the fact that it was pretty poor but because it is set in a prediction of a future where cops use wierd sonic guns and putting prisoners in cryostasis. The original series and this new are set in the timeline they were made.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:13 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:You know, when I see Mike and from what little we know of his character, I really don't see him holding a grudge after learning the truth about his father. I see him understanding the situation and not being irrational about it. Sure they can butt heads and maybe something being said, but no drama in the sense of a long standing grudge.
I do kind of agree with you there, i was just sounding out ideas really. In my eyes if their was a grudge held toward Michael Knight it would only last for maybe the entire first season because Mike will have then had a whole host of experience of the life his dad led and have respect for why he couldn't be a part of his life

GN_WS6
Rookie

Post by GN_WS6 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:18 pm

Niggle Snoosh wrote:The main reason i see that KR2000 should be ignored isn't the fact that it was pretty poor but because it is set in a prediction of a future where cops use wierd sonic guns and putting prisoners in cryostasis. The original series and this new are set in the timeline they were made.
Which they can just ignore, if they just stick to the MAJOR key elements of the one-off movie, like I previously said in another post. But I definetlay agree with LOST_KNIGHT on his theory, and it's indeed a VERY good theory on how they could run offof that.

No one outside the KR fan universe remembers KR2K. It was aired once, 17 years ago. There's no way someone who is just becoming a fan now who is under the age of 25 or so going to remember KR2K when it aired. And the people who did watch it back then who weren't that big of fans wouldn't remember detail like the sonic guns anyway, Hell I forgot about them until I watched it again in '05 when the 1st season dvd was released.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:26 pm

KR2000 has been aired on the USA network and Sci-Fi channel every once in awhile over the last 17 years also.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:26 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:You know, when I see Mike and from what little we know of his character, I really don't see him holding a grudge after learning the truth about his father. I see him understanding the situation and not being irrational about it. Sure they can butt heads and maybe something being said, but no drama in the sense of a long standing grudge.
Ah, but I think it would make for good drama if Mike DID hold a grudge. TV shows are more interesting when the characters don't get along. Wouldn't it be interesting to have Hasselhoff in a recurring role (but not in the first few episodes) where Mike still sort of resents him? It would create a good character arc for Mike: KITT, the unfeeling computer, is actually able to help Mike come to terms with why Michael felt he had to abandon his son.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:58 pm

Niggle Snoosh wrote:The main reason i see that KR2000 should be ignored isn't the fact that it was pretty poor but because it is set in a prediction of a future where cops use wierd sonic guns and putting prisoners in cryostasis. The original series and this new are set in the timeline they were made.
But there's a simple explanation for that, too. Knight Rider 2000 took place in the year 2000 in Seattle, Washington. In the very first scene, it's explained by the police commissioner that it is one of the first cities to utilize the experimental method of buzzing bad guys with ultrasound instead of shooting them with bullets. The cryogenic incarceration was also relatively new and experimental, too, which was justified by saving $1.75 (I think that's what the number was?) billion a year. So Seattle was pretty much the only place in the country that was implementing these science fiction methods.

The new telepic and possible series will be taking place in California. Even if the ultrasonic guns and cryogenic prisons were still being used, all of that science fiction stuff would still be back in Seattle. But I'm more inclined to believe that at least the cryogenic prison idea was ultimately rendered flawed, when Russ Maddock's comment at the end, "Putting him in there solves nothing; it merely postpones," became realized by those who implemented the system in the first place. I'd like to believe the ultrasonic gun idea failed as well and that they reverted back to regular guns; its demise possibly inacted by a new mayor/president with a different agenda and political outlook. After all, Mayor Abby was discovered to be corrupt, and somebody had to fill in his shoes once he was incarcerated. After the demise of the Knight Foundation, Shawn McCormick and Russ Maddock lost their positions and subsequently moved onto other projects in other agencies. That would mean Shawn still has K.I.T.T.'s chip in her brain, though, unfortunately, and rather than seeing her ever return, it would be nice to know she had it removed.

And there's your continuity. Of course I'm sure the writers would never go into that much detail to bridge the gap if KR2K is going to be considered canon, but there's an explanation if they need to refer to one.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:28 pm

Lost Knight wrote:But there's a simple explanation for that, too. Knight Rider 2000 took place in the year 2000 in Seattle, Washington. In the very first scene, it's explained by the police commissioner that it is one of the first cities to utilize the experimental method of buzzing bad guys with ultrasound instead of shooting them with bullets. The cryogenic incarceration was also relatively new and experimental, too, which was justified by saving $1.75 (I think that's what the number was?) billion a year. So Seattle was pretty much the only place in the country that was implementing these science fiction methods.
I know your right about the sonic gun thing but i got the impression the the prisioner thing was a countrywide thing, but i could easily be wrong

They could work it into the timeline but imho it's better left out, but thats just me. I watched the KR2000 movie again yesterday and although its has some good parts, the "is that you Michael.....you look like crap!" line still makes me giggle. I also enjoy Devon loosing his cool with Maddock for dismantling KITT, i'm pretty sure thats the only time he makes an outburst like that in the entire series, if it wasn't over KITT i would say it out of character but since he was under the impression that KITT could be effectively dead i thought it was very appropriate.

However when i watch it i feel a bit depressed because although KITT, Michael and Devon all appear i think they all seem slightly off, well maybe not Devon. Then again perhaps that's because i dont hold the film close to my heart like i do the series. I just get the impression it was packaged together by someone you didn't give a monkeys about the original series. plus when i watch that movie i feel the world feels quite utopian and i can't get past it. However its just my opinion, others may disagree and that's fair enough as i've no right to claim my opinion as better than anyone elses.If it get included into the new KR canon i will just have to accept it :)

Dalton
Recruit

Post by Dalton » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:50 pm

I like reference made to him still being alive, but retired somewhere.