Hasselfhoff says "I did it for you"

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Hasselfhoff says "I did it for you"

Post by K.I.T.T » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:19 am

That's what our original Michael Knight, (David Hasselfhoff) is saying on his website right now, http://www.davidhasselhoff.com. He explains it was "as blast from the past" and that "i did it for you, my fans!" Whats interesting about this is it seems David is desperate to be part of the what could be the new series as he quoted as saying, "Want to see more Knight Rider and more of The Hoff? Let NBC know" which is promptly followed by a link to the NBC website. So what do YOU think? If a new series is commissioned would it be good to see the original Michael Knight back or do we continue down this new avenue?

frank_knight
Recruit

Re: Hasselfhoff says "I did it for you"

Post by frank_knight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:29 am

In my opinion, and this will probably be deleted no doubt, the show stunk. There was no continuity, they threw David in there at the last second explaining nothing, Graimen was horrible and gave no insight to Devon or FLAG. They bashed the Knight 2000, the Mustang was an abomination and couldnt outrun a focus, and Kilmer's voice was lifeless and horrid.

This Website sold out to NBC to support it full force (maybe I woulda too for a little fame after 10 years) as NBC sold out to Ford and directors who care about $$ and fame, not making the show for the fan base which has been strong for 25 plus years. The show was an ambomination.
"I am the voice of Knight Industries Two Thousands, microprocessor.... K.I.T.T. for easy reference, KITT if you prefer."

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:44 am

I’m torn. On the one hand, I’d love for Michael Knight to be a regular presence in the new series, but on the other hand, I quiet like the idea of him still working to make a difference. Given his age, and the apparent lack of resources given that the Foundation was shut down, it obviously wouldn’t be in the same way as when he was on the road with KITT, but I’d like it to be known that he’s still working to make a difference nonetheless.

For instance, I’d quiet like it if the producers decided to turn the original KITT into Prometheus, that way, Michael could be off working with him in a governmental capacity, whilst Mike handles the field work with the new KITT, since the Foundation is now governmentally funded.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:37 am

I think he should come back as a helper for flag sorta like rc-3 was in the original maybe going out on some missions to help tracer.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:51 am

I think if done right, Michael could be portrayed really well for this new series, i don't particularly like the role of Devon for him, he always hated paper work and would make no sense giving him that role, but as a helper for Mike. If we see KARR return this would be a fabulous opportunity for Michael Knight to make a return. Maybe give him his old KITT too??? would also be great to get William Daniels along also.

Meh, just thinking outside the box.

Nick

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:27 am

I would like Hoff to appear as a special guest star now and then, similar to the role Sinclair played in "Babylon 5" even after he left. He was integral to the story, played a very active role and already had history with the characters and setting. Michael Knight could play a similar role, acting as both mentor and a connection to a larger storyline. We know Black River was only working for someone else - and seeing who that person/group may be will be most interesting.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:39 am

frank_knight wrote:This Website sold out to NBC to support it full force (maybe I woulda too for a little fame after 10 years) as NBC sold out to Ford and directors who care about $$ and fame, not making the show for the fan base which has been strong for 25 plus years. The show was an ambomination.
I don't think that's fair to say at all. This Website has been supporting news about Knight Rider for over 10 years now. And it that time, this new NBC movie was by far the biggest event to happen within the Knight Rider fandom. People WANTED to know more about the show, they wanted to discuss it, and we at Knight Rider Online worked extremely hard to get information for people. And not just the same info you could find on Entertainment Tonight, but information that the fans specifically wanted to know. Do you think ET grilled the cast and crew about Turbo Boost? No. But we did.

If you didn't like the movie, fine. But nothing we did over the past 5 months was because NBC asked us to do anything. We did it because we're fans of the franchise, and we wanted to know more about the project and share it with the rest of the community. And we will continue to do so.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:05 am

I'll take as much of David Hasselhoff as MIchael Knight as they'll give me. He definitely deserves to be a part of Knight Rider. I stil wish Larson would be willing to work with him in the feature film also. That should be a continuation. At least NBC is giving us one. I am more willing to except Larson's remake with this NBC deal. Makes a remake a lot easier to swallow.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 am

I would like to see Hasselhoff back in it working with his son against crime. Perhaps not in every episode, and I don't think he would appear in every one anyway, as the other characters need a chance to flesh out a bit.

The "I hope so" line at the end of the Pilot hints that they may bring him back in future episodes. I think that line was also an in joke type of thing as if to say "well, if this pilot episode does well then they will take it to series and bring me back at some point".

I really don't think we have seen the last of him just yet in KR.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:33 am

frank_knight wrote:There was no continuity,
1) We see pieces of the original KITT in Graiman's garage and is acknowledged in several pieces of dialogue.
2) Knight Industries is recognized both verbally and on the plane.
3) Michael Knight not only appears, but is mentioned verbally.
4) "The Foundation" is mentioned by Graiman.
5) Several design elements of the new KITT carried over from the original including the black color, the red scanner and the gull shaped steering wheel.
6) The theme song is a modern take on the old one.
Sounds like plenty of continuity to me.
frank_knight wrote:they threw David in there at the last second explaining nothing,
Incorrect. Jenny and Charles explained that Michael Knight had sent Traceur away with Jenny for their own safety, and they explained that Michael was Traceur's father. That's hardly "nothing" explained.
frank_knight wrote:Graimen was horrible and gave no insight to Devon or FLAG.
Saying it doesn't make it so. Why? Did you not like Bruce's acting? Did the character do something that offended you? As for Devon and FLAG, we actually did get insight into FLAG in one line: "I'm resurrecting the Foundation" So we know the Foundation was shut down and is now being brought back. Why did it shut down? Not sure yet, but we need a bit of mystery to have some story arcs and threads to go into a series with.
frank_knight wrote:They bashed the Knight 2000,
When? The first KITT seemed to be spoken of matter-of-factly. They said Michael Knight was the driver and that it was built in "another place". Where is the "bashing" in those statements?
frank_knight wrote:the Mustang was an abomination and couldnt outrun a focus,
Do you have statistics or road tests stating that as a fact? Otherwise you are stating something that is incorrect.
frank_knight wrote:and Kilmer's voice was lifeless and horrid.
Hardly. His performance was dispassionate at times, and properly nuanced at others. Listen to him saying "That does...suck." to Sarah. There is quite a bit of emotion in the way he delivered that line. But if it wasn't your cup of tea, sorry.
frank_knight wrote:This Website sold out to NBC to support it full force (maybe I woulda too for a little fame after 10 years)
You're out of line. This web site has kept up KR information for ten years. This was the biggest thing to happen to Knight Rider since "Team Knight Rider" in the 90's. It did its job, which was to give us news and it did it very well. What have YOU done other than make incorrect statements and flame?
frank_knight wrote:as NBC sold out to Ford and directors who care about $$ and fame, not making the show for the fan base which has been strong for 25 plus years. The show was an ambomination.
Newsflash: ALL corporations are into the entertainment industry for the money and fame. Do you think they make TV shows out of the kindness of their hearts and because they want to throw money out the window? I've seen this argument about other shows and movies, and it amazes me that somehow saying a corporation wants money is somehow a bad thing. We live in a capitalist society where profit is part of everyone's existence. That has nothing to do with NBC or Knight Rider - that's the reality we live with in the US (and other countries as well).
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

frank_knight
Recruit

Post by frank_knight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:41 pm

How come the other Knight Rider fan sites were not privy to the special clips from NBC weeks before its debut? All the you tube clips were coming from this site. That's why I said they sold out. If you wanted to do something for the fans, and NBC chose you to do a media blitz why not blitz them back with what they were doing wrong to this show?

As far as continuity, Graimen was not mentioned in the original series. He was not a creator of KITT. All of KITT’s creators were mentioned over a 4 year series. Did you all forget the original series?? THAT is the continuity I am talking about. Finding parts of the 2000 in a garage is a slap in the face to me as a fan, and a replica owner. Ford moved in on the KITT but NBC shouldhave paid homage to the TA better than poor replica parts scattered in a Garage and dimly lit shadows of 3 TA'sin pieces. (why were there 3 KITT's in graimens garage??)

The bashing of the Car was by Tracuers mother saying "it's not another TA is it? " in a snide tone of voice. Also she was upset they had to be relocated??....that ENTIRE scene was shot as they were running (literally) from bad guys. That has to be the WORST time to talk things like that over...I felt that explination to Mike was thrown in there and they could only choose that bad guy chase scene as the time to do it. Therefore proving thier lack of knowledge to the original series, and giving the continuity a rushed feel. They tired there, but still didnt explain anything.

It's FLAG. The Foundation for law and government. Newbies watching Sunday night have no idea what "The foundation" is...and I really think neither did the cast and directors. They have to put for law and govt in there to really keep continuity. They did no research.

The Theme song was a joke. They killed it. And kept a quarter of the theme in there before a poorly done guitar solo. oooooooooo :roll:

Michael Knight being mentioned has no bearing on continuity. They mentioned him in TKR “verbally”….we know how that worked out.

Michael said “I was that man”…wow…great writing…mind telling us why you left? What you been up too? How it all happened? And moving his family even though you wrre engaged in the KNight of the Pheonix ? Come on,,,where was Stevie in all this? He was going to marry her we find out after Knight of the Pheonix. So he had a family he moved away while he had a fiance he was going to marry?? Anyone remember the White Bird episode?? Continuity. That’s what I’m talking about. No reseach. No Thought.

Too really help bridge a 25 year gap, why don’t they tell us where Devon is? Why the foundation for law and Government has to be resurrected? Why Knight Industries is being run out of a small home with a 3 car garage and not a mansion?

I got kinda excited at the end when they were in the semi...ohh wait TKR plane..except for that rat looking fellow all excited he got a job working with tracuer. the comic relief their should be great in later episodes. :roll:

Now the Car…..Are you for real?

Keeping the car black is not continuity. It “morphed” into 4 different colors. Who cares. Black is fine, but they didnt do anything special to the car. didn't get my heart pumping looking at the inside like in Knight of the Pheonix. No special sound. No jumping. Ski mode. Smoke screen, oil slick ect ect. Cant even out run an suv? Way to reseach the "coolest car youl ever see" says the director.
That was hardly a Gullwing Steering wheel…seems like an afterthought where they just hacked off a momo wheel.

The scanner had no swoosh…wasn’t that cool to hear as a kid?? Continuity.
The VOX and voice were pathetic. Kilmer added nothing. Daniels made the show. Those of you that don’t believe that are not true fans. Something better could have been done to the voice. Sounded like a creepy pedifile.

Just admit that NBC rushed this. They did very little to help bridge a 25 year gap in story line, and did not do any research to make their characters fit into a show with many established storylines. Not to mention a fanbase as large and devote as ours.
"I am the voice of Knight Industries Two Thousands, microprocessor.... K.I.T.T. for easy reference, KITT if you prefer."

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:05 pm

The fact that you say "In my opinion, and this will probably be deleted no doubt, the show stunk" proves how little you know about this website. Has ANYONE been chastised for expressing negative opinions about the show whatsoever? No. But attacking other members, that's a different issue.

frank_knight wrote:How come the other Knight Rider fan sites were not privy to the special clips from NBC weeks before its debut? All the you tube clips were coming from this site. That's why I said they sold out.
Most if not all of the clips on YouTube came from us sitting there at home recording NBC shows 7 nights a week looking for commercials to share with fans. Same for the Access Hollywood and other newsmagazine clips. It was a LOT of work. And people were thrilled to be able to see them. Were we selling out back then, when we were giving the fans EXACTLY what they wanted to see? Or are we sell-outs now, simply because you didn't like the movie?
If you wanted to do something for the fans, and NBC chose you to do a media blitz why not blitz them back with what they were doing wrong to this show?
NBC did NOT choose us. We chose THEM. We (mostly Neil) went to them and said, "hey, we're interested in your new Knight Rider show. Can we interview some people?" Again, the fans were VERY happy to be able to hear what the cast and crew had to say from a FAN perspective, rather than a standard Hollywood Entertainment interview. And as far as giving them feedback about what they did wrong, WE DID. Have you even read any of the interviews we did? We certainly were polite about it, but we told them "hey, many fans are disappointed in the dash." "The fans don't care if turbo boost isn't realistic." And we will continue to give them feedback both through this website and offline as well. Everyone we've spoken to has been VERY interested in hearing our feedback and we will continue to be in touch with them.

Again, you should feel free to critique the show to your heart's content. But to say that we're sell-outs for working our butts off for the past few months to get as much information as possible out to the fans, I find that offensive.

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:07 pm

So basically you expected them to cover a full show's life span (several years) in a 90 minutes TV movie? If they answered all these questions, what would have been left for the series? I felt it was good. They gave a sample, and if it becomes a series, we'll get a lot of answers down the line. But you can't expect them to deal with those tons of questions in one TV Movie. It was about showing what they can offer for the future with the new cast and car. They couldn't deal with the history all the time. There'll be another time and place for that.

For the life of me, I can't understand the whole 'KITT can't outrun the SVU" nonsense. Obviously outrunning it wasn't what he was meant to do, was it?

And the whole 'Those of you that don’t believe that are not true fans' regarding Bill Daniel's voice is an insult to all here. I do like his voice a lot, and it was a big part of the show, but even if I - or anyone else was to disagree with you - that wouldn't mean he's not a true fan.

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:14 pm

LOL, I thought the movie was a bit underwhelming too, but only because it was lacking in action and stunts.

This though just sounds like typical fanboy nitpicking because he's bitter they didn't use his beloved KITT. Get a grip dude. :D

frank_knight
Recruit

Post by frank_knight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:19 pm

Wow. What a mess one persons view can cause. This whole website loved this movie? Everyone here is just bashing the fact that I liked the old show and wanted them to keep some things true?
If you want to delete my post because you can't take my opinion fine. But if you do, please just delete my entire account. There are better places to celebrate this show.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:23 pm

Well certainly has taken a different direction this thread :(

Anyone else got views or opinions on a hoff return... ?

Nick

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:24 pm

frank_knight wrote:Wow. What a mess one persons view can cause. This whole website loved this movie? Everyone here is just bashing the fact that I liked the old show and wanted them to keep some things true?
No. Again, you miss our point. There are many people on this site who, like you, were very disappointed in the movie. And most of them are all expressing their views very clearly. The difference is that they are not insulting those of us who prefer to focus on the positive aspects of the movie by calling us "sell-outs" and "not true fans".

frank_knight
Recruit

Post by frank_knight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:31 pm

You used to have the old Knight chess piece as your avitar.

King2000
Volunteer

Post by King2000 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:36 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
frank_knight wrote:This Website sold out to NBC to support it full force (maybe I woulda too for a little fame after 10 years) as NBC sold out to Ford and directors who care about $$ and fame, not making the show for the fan base which has been strong for 25 plus years. The show was an ambomination.
I don't think that's fair to say at all. This Website has been supporting news about Knight Rider for over 10 years now. And it that time, this new NBC movie was by far the biggest event to happen within the Knight Rider fandom. People WANTED to know more about the show, they wanted to discuss it, and we at Knight Rider Online worked extremely hard to get information for people. And not just the same info you could find on Entertainment Tonight, but information that the fans specifically wanted to know. Do you think ET grilled the cast and crew about Turbo Boost? No. But we did.

If you didn't like the movie, fine. But nothing we did over the past 5 months was because NBC asked us to do anything. We did it because we're fans of the franchise, and we wanted to know more about the project and share it with the rest of the community. And we will continue to do so.
I must agree, this website grilled the hell out of the Executive Producer about the lack of Turbo Boost, and would not take the vague BS that would easily an ET, or TV Guide interviewer off the scent of it. You really held their feet to the fire about it to get a definitive answer, and I admire that.

I think there are positives and negatives in any scenerio of remaking, or continuing a cult franchise like Knight Rider, but this iteration of attempted restarts is by far the best, and most true to what the original meant to it's viewers. There are things that we would all love to see, but I for one was impressed with what I saw minus the FORD commercials of course. I expect a gradual tie in to the shows predecessor, as an immediate explaination on every little detail comes across as bad writing.

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:36 pm

I hope David is a part of the show if it goes to series. At least as a recurring role.
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

GN_WS6
Rookie

Post by GN_WS6 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:45 pm

It's become abundantly clear that the "fanbase" of the original show has become divided. You either like the new show, or you don't. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Some of the old-school die-hard fans take the new stuff as a little hard to swallow. Let's break it down like this:

1. We're all Knight Rider fans. We're mostly all classic KR fans, especially.:kitt: Some of us get into ANYTHING with the label "Knight Rider" attached to it. I'm not one of them.

2. The new show wasn't perfect. It's lacking somewhere between a little and a lot. (everbody knows where I stand)

3. Everbody pretty much made up their mind on how they feel about it and I don't think anybody is really going to change their mind at this point unless NBC makes some adjustments, and even then, some classic KR fans won't still get into it. (myself included, again I'm entitled to my opinion)

4. How about we just quit calling each other names and making fun of eachother, just because we all have different opinions on the old and new KR?

Now with that said, I never personally called anyone a name on here, so moderators, please give me a break..

The only thing CLOSE to name calling is what I said about my personal experience with my Mustang and other Mustang owners. A little different than calling a particular fan of KR on this site a name just because I don't agree with their opinion.

Also, I wish people would quit taking stabs at the old school KR fans just because they're passionate about a show from 20+ years ago. We are the fans that made all of this possible, why KR is so big, why there have been so many spin-offs and the reason there's even a new show and the remote possibility of a feature film to begin with. I've read some peoples posts on here and a few of the younger "fans" NEVER even watched the original show! I mean, it's GREAT the new show picked up a few new fans and opened their eyes to the world of KR, but don't come on here and make fun of the original or the people who LOVED the original either! I read the word "geezer" somewhere too. That's cute. I guess being 27 years old qualifies me as a "geezer" for loving Trans Ams and the classic episodes. Better go file for my pension before it's too late and I die of old age! :roll:

I come on here to discuss the original shows and to learn a little more about the spin-offs and movies that've been made over the years. I also re-registered to discuss my opinion and see what other fans felt about the new show. I know I came on here "spitting venom" but I was absolutely appalled by what I saw and I just wasn't a happy camper. So hopefully no one here hates me too much.
Last edited by GN_WS6 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The real KITT was born a Trans Am.

frank_knight
Recruit

Post by frank_knight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:48 pm

from a 29 year old old school fan, thanks for the support gn_ws6. love the avatar

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Amir wrote:For the life of me, I can't understand the whole 'KITT can't outrun the SVU" nonsense. Obviously outrunning it wasn't what he was meant to do, was it?
Virtually everybody who has commented on the scene has seemed to overlook the fact that K.I.T.T.'s computer was not activated at the time Mike was chasing the SUV. The stick shift popped up, and the car was in a manual driving mode. Sarah explained that the nanotechnology and other functions become deactivated when the computer is shut down. This applied to the car's speed as well. Once the computer was reactivated, Mike was able to cut off the SUV and let it smash directly into K.I.T.T., unharmed.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

GN_WS6
Rookie

Post by GN_WS6 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:00 pm

Thanks Frank!
The real KITT was born a Trans Am.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Good grief. All this website has EVER done is provide information to the fans. Each and everyone of us then comes to our own conclusions. Stating the site is a sell out is simply not on. No one has ever been bashed for stating their opinion. The mods will only come down hard on you for insulting another member....seem simple enough! Some of us actually do like the new pilot, that doesn't mean we've forsaken the original. There is a time and place for everything in life.

Sorry Nick I'll get on topic in a minute.

Yep, I liked Hoffs simple appearance at the end of the pilot. It was appropriate and didn't overpower the rest of the pilot. The concern with any appearances later in the series is that we don't get side-tracked. On one hand this needs to be its own series yet on the other it needs to respect the originals history. This kinda reminds me of Batman Beyond. We had a new Batman with the original playing a supporting role yet we never felt like it was Bruce Waynes story but the new Batmans one.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"