What to change about the KNIGHT 3000 when it goes to series

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Kaine
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What to change about the KNIGHT 3000 when it goes to series

Post by Kaine » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:50 am

so, what would you want to see changed about KITT if/when he comes back in a new series?

and PLEASE no posts like "don't use a mustang" or "use this or that car instead", as that won't happen!
i just want realistic suggestions and constructive criticism on the car :!:

1) well, i would like to see a far more customized interior! the iPhone inspired display is great, but it should cover much more space. this way KITT could display more information at once and also offer space for touchscreen buttons for turbo boost and other functions. imagine the dashboard woughly shaped in an arc like the one of the Knicht 2000 but with touchscreen displays all over it with different areas for information display, button display etc..

2) on the exterior of normal mode: loose the grey racing stripes! KITT looks so much better all black. for the same reason i would like to see taillight blackouts in normal mode as well, not just in attack mode!

3) maybe loose the cobra emblems... but if that's not an option with ford im fine with it!

4) let KITT have and show more physical functions... i mean satellite access, hacking surveillance cameras, accessing security doors all well and good, but i want to see KITT do physical stunts like turbo boost, crash through walls and the like.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Re: What to change about the KNIGHT 3000 when it goes to series

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:25 am

in no particular order :)

1.) you mentioned it already but a Knight Rider series needs Turbo Boost

2.) Michael Knight to have a recurring role, similar to Devon perhaps or at least working with FLAG in some way or another.

3.) I'm not overly fond of the grey stripes in attack mode but dont completely hate them either. Imho he looks better in black alone.

However it does open up the possibilty that the nanotech can creating eleborate designs as well simple colour changes. Although would be pretty cool i can't think of any other reason than off the top of my head to use such a thing other than entering the car into a race (Mr tracer has experience of racing after all, although surely the fact that he may be recognised in such an event would stop him being able to do so. Now he works for Flag he needs to keep a low profile. then again not that it matters who drives at such an event as KI3T can do it himself.

4.) KITT needs some explanation on his current fate or whereabouts.

Ideally alive and well, living with Michael. I and i'm sure many fans would prefer this and possibily a deactivated KITT than KI3T be him reprogrammed somewhat.
I think a lot of fans would like to keep KITT and KI3T as seperate characters, that way any changes to KI3T won't imo tarnish the memory of the KITT we know and love

5.) Mention of Devon and Bonnie etc.

However i would find news about Devon more critical since Bonnie could just have moved on with her life in some way. Devon will most likely be dead in the new KR lore, as KR2000 doesn't happen i hope they treat his probable untimely passing with more respect.
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:22 pm

Kaine wrote:1) well, i would like to see a far more customized interior! the iPhone inspired display is great, but it should cover much more space. this way KITT could display more information at once and also offer space for touchscreen buttons for turbo boost and other functions. imagine the dashboard woughly shaped in an arc like the one of the Knicht 2000 but with touchscreen displays all over it with different areas for information display, button display etc..
Going to have to whole-heartedly agree with you about the dashboard. The digital gauges were nice and pretty, and I even very much liked the new voice modulator and screen. But it's not enough. I understand the thought process behind the choice of "less is more," but for crying out loud, show some more stuff going on!!! Here's some comparison shots of all the K.I.T.T. dashboards over the years just to reinforce my point:

Less is NOT more!!
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:51 pm

I agree about the interior. It is hopeful the car designers said that more gadgets and so on would be added as the series went along. The keyboard popping out and the "tray o' gadgets" were nice hints that those silver panels may just be hiding stuff underneath. I would also like to see those digital "retro-futuristic" gauges do more too. We saw a quick shot of the speed going above 100 MPH but I'd love to see some insane "Classic KITT" speeds on that thing. :)

Regarding the car's speed, I would love to see the scanner's lights speed up as the car does, similar to the original series. It's not just about paying homage, it's also a cool visual cue that things are getting more and more exciting by seeing the scanner begin working overtime.

I agree with the need for more physical stunts. Granted thrashing the Mustang against the SUV in the climax was pretty physical, but we need more. A crash through a wall here, a jump there (even if not turbo boost based) would make sense for a car based show. The physical aspect could even be as simple as a bad guy running towards KITT and him throwing open a door at the last second to knock him down. The car has made its case as a highly technological entity through its hacking and use of satellites etc. However it still needs to prove itself more as a "physical" entity if that makes any sense.

Harping on that last point, I would like to see more built in offensive capability with KITT. For instance, when he was being chased in the beginning by the SUV, I kept expecting an oil slick or smokescreen.

Mind you, I don't want them to cram all this into one episode. It should make sense in the context of the story and not be done "just to do it". If we saw everything I mention above over the course of one season, I'd be happy. :)
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:02 pm

Kaine wrote:
2) on the exterior of normal mode: loose the grey racing stripes! KITT looks so much better all black. for the same reason i would like to see taillight blackouts in normal mode as well, not just in attack mode!

3) maybe loose the cobra emblems... but if that's not an option with ford im fine with it!
Absolutely agree with you on these too as I thought the same during the movie. KITT looks far better all black. I think the red tail lights and shiny rims take away from the uniqueness and make him look like a regular 2008 Mustang. I also though they should darken the front more so those two headlights don't stick out.

As far as the emblems, they really need to go. KITT might have been referred to as a Trans Am a few times in the original series, but it certainly wasn't blatantly written all over him. Then there's all that nifty camera work on the logos.

But let's be honest, there aren't going to be any changes thanks to Ford. I really can't believe the amount of influence they have with this show. Times have changed!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:51 am

goldbug wrote:
Regarding the car's speed, I would love to see the scanner's lights speed up as the car does, similar to the original series. It's not just about paying homage, it's also a cool visual cue that things are getting more and more exciting by seeing the scanner begin working overtime.
I agree with this as it just make sense that the scanner would move faster at higher speeds, the area around the car would have to be processed faster the higher the rate of movement is so as to keep up. If they could some how tie the scanner in with the speedometer, it'd make the effect pretty much work for itself.

Hopefully they get it through their head that the dash needs to actually look a bit busy, even if only in "attack mode". They also need to NOT constantly go back to the regular car almost every time it stops and the people get out.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

TheMechanic
Rookie

Post by TheMechanic » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:58 am

1.) For goodness sakes, bring back the Turbo Boost! I heard someone say "the Mustang is too heavy." Well then dangit, KI3T's a fatty and needs to lose some weight. Sheesh.

2.) I miss the scanner noise. Make it go swoosh, plz!

3.) Bye-bye racing stripes. The all-black is so much sleeker!

4.) I would say get rid of the Cobra emblems, but good luck n that one...

5.) The dash definitely needs more...stuff. It's like an empty void just asking for cool gadgets to be put there!

Okay...I think I've had a little too much caffeine for this late at night... XD
Turbo Boost, Baby!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:18 am

goldbug wrote:Regarding the car's speed, I would love to see the scanner's lights speed up as the car does, similar to the original series. It's not just about paying homage, it's also a cool visual cue that things are getting more and more exciting by seeing the scanner begin working overtime.
That was never intentional. In fact, it was a problem for the producers, because every time they sped up the footage to make K.I.T.T. appear to go faster than he really was, this affected the scanner speed. When he was in Super Pursuit Mode, it wasn't as much of an issue because the scanner couldn't be as easily seen. But some fans like the faster scanner speed, like yourself.

shimadzu02
Stranger

Post by shimadzu02 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:13 am

Just one thing that's really bothered me during the whole movie...

They misspelled 'neural'.... They spelled it 'nueral'... Come on, a blaring mistake like that shows how much real time they spent on this show...

And of course, add the turbo boost back! And the semi for domestic trips!

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:35 am

if you get to see a series, it will be the same thing as the movie-morphing w/o Turbo Boost-guaranteed.

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:52 am

Kram061-1 wrote:if you get to see a series, it will be the same thing as the movie-morphing w/o Turbo Boost-guaranteed.
what makes you think so?

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:31 am

This topic resembles the "If brought to series..." one, but since this one is more prominent, the title is catchier and it concentrates on the Knight 3000, I'll add my opinion here, too.

So we have our recommendation in one thread.

- keep KITTs voice module in red, it's a distinct attribute that identifies KITT, so don't chance it. And keep it always visible, the voice module IS KITT.

- no more different modes for KITTs. I don't like the grey stripes and the silver rims on hero KITT and I don't like the whole body kit and wings and grill on attack KITT. So the combination of both, means hero KITT with black rims and without the stripes, would be great, and black tail lights
and if there has to be an attack mode KITT, please please change the rear wing.

- give KITT more hightech on his dashboard: some buttons for KITT's functions (e.g. Turbo boost, Mike can't always ask KITT to do those, especially when KITT is not sure whether it works or not - Michael and KITT had this conversation more than once), one or two monitors

- keep Val Kilmer as KITT, because stability is important to be believable and to develop KITT's character. but the voice has to be blended in better into the show, in the pilot KITT often sounded like a narrator, no different noise and loudness levels.

- show us that the new KITT can everything we loved at the old one. (Turbo boost, Ski mode, drive through walls, release oil, ...)

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:19 am

this thread is for the car only, while the other thread you named is for the series as a whole.

apart from that, i completely agree with your list of changes!

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:31 am

I have a terrific idea that will solve everything. Get rid of the mustang, get rid of all the characters, bring the knight 2000 back with all the originals.

This way instead of people being positive and actually realizing times have changed and this doesn't have to be exactly the same as the orginal, we can go back to keeping everything exactly the same and we don't have to hear them complain anymore.
Ice rider coming 2009

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:56 am

djshag69 wrote:I have a terrific idea that will solve everything. Get rid of the mustang, get rid of all the characters, bring the knight 2000 back with all the originals.

This way instead of people being positive and actually realizing times have changed and this doesn't have to be exactly the same as the orginal, we can go back to keeping everything exactly the same and we don't have to hear them complain anymore.
Sorry, I can't tell if your post is for real or you are ironic here.

But to make it clear: I am very optimistic about the new movie and the new show. Reviving the 80s Knight Rider wouldn't work and I don't want that.
I want to give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism what to make better, so the audience will enjoy the series more.
This thread is not for complaining and it is for people who liked the new movie and want to see it as a series, but with some improvements.

Hey, nothing is perfect. There's always something you can make better.

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:29 am

i was def being sarcastic. I understand everyone gets to voice there opion on this site, but sometimes i feel that some people would rather have no Knight Rider then this become a series. All they do is compare to the old show, at first it seems insiteful and its good reading, now it just seems the same things are being said over and over again. Every post is, "what i want to see different", are people really that scared of change?
Ice rider coming 2009

Haley
Volunteer

Post by Haley » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:05 pm

goldbug wrote:
Harping on that last point, I would like to see more built in offensive capability with KITT. For instance, when he was being chased in the beginning by the SUV, I kept expecting an oil slick or smokescreen.

I agree with most of your points goldbug, but I think that the oil slick and smokescreen are just abit too 007-insh, or even Batman-insh for a 21st century Knight Rider. I think we need some new gadgets. Making KITT hacker-proof maybe?

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:49 pm

Haley wrote:
goldbug wrote:I agree with most of your points goldbug, but I think that the oil slick and smokescreen are just abit too 007-insh, or even Batman-insh for a 21st century Knight Rider. I think we need some new gadgets. Making KITT hacker-proof maybe?
It absolutely border lines on looking silly, but then again everyone is also requesting Turbo Boost, which I actually agree with. That's the fine line that has to be found. There's "What makes sense in the 21st century" and then there's "What just looks fun and exciting" and the two don't necessarily mesh. Truth be told, what I would love to see is KITT hack into the SUV's computer system (let's say it has Onstar or an equivalent system) and use that to short out its power, thus shutting it down entirely or something. While conceptually cool, it really wouldn't look all that exciting on screen to be honest.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

MSFproductionsMAIN
Volunteer

Post by MSFproductionsMAIN » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:31 am

Garthe Knight wrote:
djshag69 wrote:I have a terrific idea that will solve everything. Get rid of the mustang, get rid of all the characters, bring the knight 2000 back with all the originals.

Sorry, I can't tell if your post is for real or you are ironic here.

But to make it clear: I am very optimistic about the new movie and the new show. Reviving the 80s Knight Rider wouldn't work and I don't want that.
I want to give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism what to make better, so the audience will enjoy the series more.
This thread is not for complaining and it is for people who liked the new movie and want to see it as a series, but with some improvements.

Hey, nothing is perfect. There's always something you can make better.

IT's Pretty Obvious he's being sarcastic. :P

Charlie Brown
Recruit

Post by Charlie Brown » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:34 pm

Kaine wrote:3) maybe loose the cobra emblems... but if that's not an option with ford im fine with it!
The cobra on KI3T is supposed to contrast the phoenix on KI2T. I'm sure there will be some symbolic significance in the series if it happens.

I wonder if that'll mean KI3T will be a more aggressive AI than KI2T was...or if not the AI, maybe the show in general...?

As for the "plain dashboard," I think it would be a cool idea to take the morph concept a step further, and have the dash itself morph from plain to function-filled. It adds another dimension to camoflage if Mike and KI3T see the need for it.

Another thought would be to have a HUD type display on the windshield. Very futuristic...but I imagine it'd be hard for Mike to be driving while the HUD is displaying something. Of course he can let KI3T drive, but I hope Mike does more of the driving in the series than KI3T, just like Michael did with KI2T.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:20 pm

Charlie Brown wrote:The cobra on KI3T is supposed to contrast the phoenix on KI2T. I'm sure there will be some symbolic significance in the series if it happens.
There was no phoenix on classic K.I.T.T. He was completely blacked out and stripped of all Pontiac emblems and logos. The cobra on the new K.I.T.T. remains only to blend in with other vehicles.

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
Charlie Brown wrote:The cobra on KI3T is supposed to contrast the phoenix on KI2T. I'm sure there will be some symbolic significance in the series if it happens.
There was no phoenix on classic K.I.T.T. He was completely blacked out and stripped of all Pontiac emblems and logos. The cobra on the new K.I.T.T. remains only to blend in with other vehicles.

I think he's referring to the emblem on the steering wheel (some people have called it a phoenix for whatever reason) though that's actually a Black Knight emblem and the only visible symbol on the entire vehicle.

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:22 pm

This is how envision Ki3t's dash, a blending between the old and the new.

http://davemetlesits.deviantart.com/art ... n-78127873

I know the dedication plaque is kinda cheesy, I just wanted to fill the space of the Shelby plaque. If you can translate it, you can win a strand of the Hoff's chest hair :D

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:11 pm

I want to see KITT carry the "KNIGHT" license plate while he is just cruisin around.... we know he can change it at will.

Dalton
Recruit

Post by Dalton » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:03 pm

I'd like to see some turbo boosting, and some crashing through walls.

I'm afraid to say I thought the single touch panel screen was enough. Realistically it's all you'd need. It's the way things work now. Look on the bright side, customising the inside of replicas should be less work. :mrgreen: