Knight 3000 a step down?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight 3000 a step down?

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:47 pm

Sorry, been away from the KR community from a while and I know a lot of topics exist on the subject, but I just want to make an observation, so if this is covered elsewhere sorry (just too many 'KITT should be a T/A,' 'gays are bad' stuff for me to sift through right now). To start off, I loved the pilot and fully endorse this as a new series. I, like many, have been a fan since the first pilot aired nearly 26 years ago. I own a replica of the Trans Am KITT and the first series would have to qualify as my favorite show of all time. I feel this could have been a lot worse and KR is back, so that really can't be a bad thing.

However, watching the show last Sunday, I did notice a few things. K3K is the most advanced KITT yet, but the K2K did have features that were far superior. For starters KITT's CPU didn't have to be online for the MBS to work. IMO, the MBS is far superior to the nano-technology. KITT went off-line more than a few times in the original series so Micheal would have been screwed if KITT lost his shell (see JYD and KotJ). I know the formula for the MBS was well guarded, and may not exist anymore, so the nano approach could make sense (definite avenue of exploration for a future episode). I just look at it like the Superman comics, it's hard to write stories about something that can't be killed. Maybe this weakness was intended to make it easier on the writers if a show does come about.

The original KITT also used a flex-fuel system, he could run on anything combustible, regular gasoline included. He also operated in the range of around 100 mpg (estimated, no number was ever given in the original series). It would seem that KITT's turbine was far superior in MPG to the seemingly regular IC engine K3K is using (don't get me started on the fact that KITT's turbine more than likely generated more than 550 bhp).

In most respects it seems that the K3K falls short in a few areas, while the seemingly new features that NBC is touting (satellite tracking, for example) were mostly present on the original car. In the shows defense, Graiman did build the thing in his garage without the unlimited recourses of Wilton Knight, so I would say it's a damn fine effort under those circumstances. Now that the FBI has taken over the role of benefactor, maybe K3K will see some major upgrades for the regular series.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

KamenRider
Recruit

Re: Knight 3000 a step down?

Post by KamenRider » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:10 pm

That's kind of what I'm thinking to. They can always upgrade and add things. Like I said in another post, they could add an MBS to the new KITT based on the experience they had in the pilot. There's nothing in the pilot that I can recall that states work on the car was at 100% before the thieves arrived. Hell, if they wanted to add extra touches to the interior they could even say that wasn't finished yet.

Plenty or room of upgrades and/or corrections.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:13 pm

Army_F_Body wrote: The original KITT also used a flex-fuel system, he could run on anything combustible, regular gasoline included. He also operated in the range of around 100 mpg (estimated, no number was ever given in the original series).
Well, one thing that's superior with the Knight 3000 is that it gets 167 MPG. Of course, we don't know for certain that the fuel efficiency is actually better, because the original series never actually stated just how fuel efficient K.I.T.T. was.

By the way, welcome back!
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:20 pm

Yeah, it was stated that KITT 3K would receive modular upgrades for a regular series (including turbo boost). My KITT was built under the same conditions (well, I'm no genius, and had a significantly smaller budget) as this one and it can't even remotely compare so I'm not hating, but it's my opinion that the 3000 is a rough work in progress. I'm sure the FBI would pump some serious funding into the program (hey, they no doubt paid to upgrade the semi).
By the way, welcome back!
Thanks! It's great to have something so dear to me gain some relevance again.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:55 pm

I believe it was mentioned that KITT got 200 MPG or something like that... It's a bit of a step down at this point.

As for the MBS, yeah it's been discussed at length many times. For all intended purposes, aside from the reasoning from the writing angle with KITT's near invincibility and everything there's one way I look the car healing and taking bullets after seeing what was done with it.

The MBS/Knight Compound made KITT nearly invincible at least from the things that hit KITT though I think it did still have its limits. But anyway, I think one big potential danger of the MBS was ricochet, that was shown at least twice in the pilot maybe three times since there was the guy who threw the brick, heh but I'm talking about bullets. Anyway I don't believe they ever even revisited it afterwards but just had guys saying their bullets would bounce off the car.

With how the impact from bullets was shown in the TV movie with the nanotech, all the energy from the bullets fired was absorbed in the impact of the bullet into the car, preventing ricochet. Not sure how or if it's the same in "attack" mode since I've read it isn't and I don't think there was any good examples shown in the limited amount of time it was shown. But to me, that's where I'd go with explaining the change. I'd even tolerate them using that as a reason why the original KITT was decommissioned, could you imagine what KITT's reaction would've been if KITT was blocking some heavy gun fire and one of the bullets bounced off and hit an innocent bystander or even Michael?

Or it could have just been lost.... Though that's more far fetched than the potential reasoning I just wrote.

Yes, I'm making excuses and possible explanations are my own way to "handle" the changes, so sue me. <_< >_> If they lurk here and like whatever they see I wouldn't complain in the least in their using it, especially if it's better than what they're planning.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:58 pm

Also if you noticed there was long list of things on the K3000 that hadn't been tested yet. I thought that was pretty cool.
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:46 pm

I also think its good to point out that this was one man in his garage - where as KI2T was built by a huge team. Charles probably built the technology that was important to him at the time first, and will continue forward as needed.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:06 pm

Something that has occured to me in the mbs vs nano tech is that if mbs is still around then why does nano have to be used.

I have a semi-logical theory to explain this and the car/body/make change and possible lack of 24/7 swooshing scanner. The main bad guy comments that KITT has become an urban legend to at least some (high profile) criminals.

Therefore its not much of a jump to assume that him being a black 82 onwards T/A with a red scanner could be included in the myth and there is a reason for the basic car change.

Furthermore if KI3T is black all the time surely (especially) in this day and age people will take note of the fact, so only if there were some way of having the car morph shape and colour........ you see where i'm going :)

Finally if we have a body/substance that can change shape then if the mbs still exists it could either not bond to the new shell period or would prevent the nanotech from working/morphing.

Plus there is the simple fact that KI3T was not complete :)
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:17 pm

a serious question: What could K3000 do that the K2000 couldn't already do? Other than a morph nonsense? It really didn't show much, especially after these interviews with the producers/writers. They built it up, but it only morphed? I don't get it at all. And I was not as critical of the cast or the story line. I think the show has potential, but it's almost like they need another 2 hour season premiere just to show what the car can do. :? :?:

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:30 pm

i suppose they may have just wanted to show off what is new because they expected us to assume that KI3T can do what ever KITT could. Perhaps they thought if they showed too much then we would feel the need to see anymore, maybe the not knowing is how they hope to hook us into backing the series to return. Which if true, isn't going quite according to plan :)

I am trying to remain optimistic, right now i'm still happy that a new Knight Rider project has actually happened and all in all it wasn't half bad. Granted the new series needs some of the staples that fans love and adore but it doesn't neccesarily mean we won't. Sadly we just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best and hope our needs get noticed.
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

TheDarkWolf121
Stranger

Post by TheDarkWolf121 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Hello Guys, (new to the forums)
I just wanted to point out the setup for the original KITT the first time around didn't have many of the features right away and were added as the series move forward usually during the episode said addition was needed. And if they spent more time shwoing thigns that the car would do, then there would be little surprise if/when they did have a series.

I think they did a Great job showing that the car has the capabilities to be a step forward without having to show it do all of the things it may be capable of. After all, heaven forbid they take away from a the story plot and the forward movement of the movie just to show that this car can do other stuff. :p

I didn't think I was going to liek how they did it.. but I was happily surprised and do hope they make a series.

-TDW

Valdez
Rookie

Post by Valdez » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:55 pm

I think that based on the fact that he was recreated in a garage without the (apparent) use of overly sophisticated equipment, you could almost view the KI3T in the pilot to be a prototype for the new 3000 series. I bet that as the show progresses through the series, he will get added to and things we didn't see in the movie will come to light. He was, by his own admission, pretty much untested. So, in a sense, I guess he is a "step down" because KITT was pretty much thoroughly tested before he met his driver. I think things can only get better if the series has good writers and is handled with care and respect for the fandom.
~The Monster's Loose....:karr:

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:04 pm

Well I guess what I have been trying to say is that compared to the original pilot, there just wasn't enough car action. despite the good story and the cast, which was good, there is no excuse to have an action show about a car that has no car action in it. :roll:

coverdale10
Volunteer

Post by coverdale10 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:11 pm

Let's cut to the edit...

This new car hasn't proven itself to be any better than our trusty Trans Am. But let's face it. The orignal Knight Rider has pretty much covered all of the technology that this show is describing. A complete remake would have actually been better because the writers would've been able to describe KITT's technology in a way that is relevant to today's more technologically sophisticated public. Much like "Viper" was for Chrysler, this "Knight Rider" is an insultingly obvious commercial for Ford. The original had the effect that it did because it was packaged correctly: A new car/model, a banging theme song and thoroughly updated version of the lone ranger concept. This new car is already 3 years old and it just doesn't have the right people to bring out the best of it.
Let the franchise die in peace. Otherwise they are stabbing it in the heart and twisting the knife.

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:20 pm

This new car is already 3 years old and it just doesn't have the right people to bring out the best of it.
Again do some research the car is not 3 years old it's not even out to the market yet. The Shelby GT500KR will be made available in the spring time were dealers will do a lotto to be able to get one in there show room to sell. This is a limited edition Shelby Mustang not some run of the mill Mustang. So saying it's three years old is naive when it hasn't even been made to the public yet.

No talented people working on this project when have you made a movie beter than Doug liman.