The Morph

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The Morph

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:59 am

OK, so they are using nano-technology to explain KITT's morphing ability. I didn't like the idea at first, but was willing to accept at it IS a real technology in its infancy.

Using nanotechnology, KITT would be able to "grow" a spoiler by having nano particles climb over each other and expand into the shape of a spoiler. They could then do the same in reverse. I have gone over the morphing scenes frame-by-frame in high-def over and over and over, and I am disappointed to see that when the spoiler disappears, it does not collapse like a liquid metal should. Instead, portions of it just sort of dissolve in mid-air. It is at least partially a photographic morph, rather than true 3D simulation. (When I was looking at a scene with the spoiler appearing, it was a grey spoiler against a grey road and it was hard to see, but it looked like particles were appearing out of thin air as well.)

If they need to have a morphing car, they ALMOST got it right. But from the way it looks to me, they cheated it a bit.

The bullets however, they were dead on. Totally worked for me. The skin shatters upon impact, then resets itself. Yup, I completely bought into that.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Luis
Rookie

Re: The Morph

Post by Luis » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:14 am

I agree on the bullets. Totally worked, had plenty of that "cool" factor.

The morphing bugged me, though. It just needs to be mechanical... If the Veyron can do it (it has its own Super Pursuit Mode), why not the new KITT?

On the whole, they didn't really pay attention to the whole Hero KITT / Attack KITT transformation. In the original that's a HUGE deal -- close-ups, dialog, etc -- but here KITT simply decides to do it and that's it.

We didn't even get some closeu-ups of the speedometer showing 150 MPH or something.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:54 am

I liked the morph effect but it was far from perfect. The idea is nice, and the execution felt "90% done" if that makes sense. This is especially true with respect to the rear spoiler, which from time to time appeared to just appear out of nowhere. If this goes to series, I'm hoping the effect is refined as time goes along. Fact is, they did have budget constraints and I'm sure that's part of the reason we didn't see KITT do more high tech stuff (not complaining, just an observation).
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

bige
Rookie

Post by bige » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:33 am

They wanted to leave it open so if it dose go to a TV Series, then they can add a new features to the car, Remember in the original series toward the end of that series KITT becomes a Conventiable.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:04 pm

Some captures of the morphing effect:

“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:41 pm

Personally I thought Kitt going into Super pursuit mode looked cooler. The bullet thing was cool but at the same time I think it will get old if it does that close-up evertime Kitt gets shot with a bullet.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:10 pm

The morph crap did nothing for me....they overdid it. What happened to the missile defense system and the drone?

Valdez
Rookie

Post by Valdez » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:02 pm

Kram061-1 wrote:The morph crap did nothing for me....they overdid it. What happened to the missile defense system and the drone?
I don't mean to sound rude, but what does the MDS and the drone have to do with the nano-technology of the morph?

I liked the morph effect over all, I will agree that the appearance of the spoiler should have been a mechanical change, while the car shimmered out with the nanites. That would have been better than watching it appear out of nowhere, but I just figured it was the micro-machine nanites combining together to create it. I felt that it was neat :D and as I stated in a previous post, nanotechnology for cars has been proposed, so it's not like they pulled the idea out of thin air.
~The Monster's Loose....:karr:

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:07 pm

Nano technology has been proven. I think Mike P posted a link of a university doing a study of it and showing a car made of nanies appearing and than disappearing. Mike if you read this can you post that link again.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:37 am

Real life morphing research:

viewtopic.php?f=1041&t=10845&p=128983&h ... ie#p128983

Keep in mind that the video is only a simulation of what could happen in the future.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:09 am

I'm sure the drone was a joke at Viper's expense, that's all!

At least I hope it was....
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar: