A bombshell... Arnett out as KITT

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

A bombshell... Arnett out as KITT

Post by Shapeshifter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:27 pm

I don't think I'm exaggerating.

I mentioned last week there would be an announcement, well here it is, and only on KRO.

Will Arnett has had to back out of voicing KITT because of a contractual conflict. This happened a few weeks ago.

I was asked not to release this information until they figured out what they were going to do. Finally, as of last night, contracts with the replacement have been signed.

The new voice of KITT will be...Val Kilmer. He's a bona-fide movie star who has not done a lot of television, a very smart guy with and great voice and a lot of range, and the producers are very happy with the choice. They start today to re-voice the movie.

And you've gotta love that his initials are VK.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

DrWho2005
Operative

Re: A bombshell...

Post by DrWho2005 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:33 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:I don't think I'm exaggerating.

I mentioned last week there would be an announcement, well here it is, and only on KRO.

Will Arnett has had to back out of voicing KITT because of a contractual conflict. This happened a few weeks ago.

I was asked not to release this information until they figured out what they were going to do. Finally, as of last night, contracts with the replacement have been signed.

The new voice of KITT will be...Val Kilmer. He's a bona-fide movie star who has not done a lot of television, a very smart guy with and great voice and a lot of range, and the producers are very happy with the choice. They start today to re-voice the movie.

And you've gotta love that his initials are VK.

Discuss amongst yourselves.
Mother f*cker.
Wow.

I just saw the episode of 30 rock with Will in it and i actually started to feel happy about this...

But Val Kilmer?

I think it is great to h ave a big name attached...
but what happens if and when his star rises again in Hollywood?

I think William Daniels really should have got a look in.
Then they could make fakeKitt be real KITT again.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 pm

DrWho2005 wrote:
You don't have to worry. Remember, he would have to sign for not just this episode, but a potential five year commitment. He's firmly on board.

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:40 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:
DrWho2005 wrote:
You don't have to worry. Remember, he would have to sign for not just this episode, but a potential five year commitment. He's firmly on board.

I dont get why they chose Val?
Hey i like the bloke, LOVED The Saint..
His name and face are well known..but his voice?

It's not like he is sean connery..a voice you know.

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by neps » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:49 pm

Thanks so much Shapeshifter for finally bring this public!

I think it would be a good thing for the show. I'm surprised they got him to agree for five years, but then again - it's just voice work.

While I know Val has had a lot of success in films, I've never been a huge fan of his acting (short of his take on Morrison in The Doors). His voice is great though, very calm and reassuring.

When I told my wife this earlier, I asked her to guess the actor who I dislike and she loves, and she immediately mentioned Val and now she's looking forward to the movie!

Val Kilmer + Knight Rider: Brining husband and wives together.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:53 pm

DrWho2005 wrote: I dont get why they chose Val?

You could say much the same thing about Will Arnett.

They weren't looking for a voice that would pull people out of the show, make them think "who is that?" They wanted a strong actor who could make KITT come alive, so people will buy KITT, and NOT think about the voice. Kilmer can be bad ass, but he can also play lighter...he gives them a lot of options.

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:58 pm

Actually, after seeing some of the footage and where the producers are going with the new KITT, Kilmer's choice makes some sense. Dry, acerbic, and the ability to sound a little dangerous. But, don't forget, Kilmer is also great at comedy and does a top-notch smart-ass - anyone remember Real Genius? This could be fun for the series.

In fact, what ever happened to Kilmer's character from Real Genius? Maybe he went to work for a guy named Charles Graimen developing voice-interactive software...

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:01 pm

That's too bad.... I don't really remember Kilmer's voice since it's been awhile but I guess with post production it wouldn't matter too much. Though hopefully he does a good job, he's a better actor IMO though, hopefully it'll lead to a little "warmer" voice for KITT, I'm not really familiar with Arnett's work but pretty much everything I've seen him in he plays characters that are a-holes so when I think of his voice that's what I imagine, didn't want KITT to sound like a jerk, no offense to Arnett, it's just that he plays so many characters that are. He could've been a good voice, hopefully Kilmer will be. What was the conflict? Did it prevent him from doing voice overs for other things? Or was it just the being contracted for five years? Then again, it wouldn't matter if the TV movie didn't get picked up or if the series didn't go the full five years.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:03 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:
DrWho2005 wrote: I dont get why they chose Val?

You could say much the same thing about Will Arnett.

They weren't looking for a voice that would pull people out of the show, make them think "who is that?" They wanted a strong actor who could make KITT come alive, so people will buy KITT, and NOT think about the voice. Kilmer can be bad ass, but he can also play lighter...he gives them a lot of options.
So why not just get some no name voice actor? That way they could have saved a heap of money. Val wont be cheap..So what are they spending their money on?

I bet you most people dont know his voice.
His face wont be seen.

So why get a big name star?

btw..thanks for the info, please dont think im being rude to you!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:08 pm

Val Kilmer is in one of the most brilliant movie scenes ever to be captured on film:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nVmIhd1gwpk

The original movie has "translation" subtitles which are missing here, I don't know why. Without the subtitles, the punchline gets ruined a little sooner than it should be.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:11 pm

He'll probably work cheap, not like Val is a HUGE star these days. ;) Voice work is typically not as costly as having to physically on screen and work on set. Voice work is less time demanding is a lot more flexible in where you can be to do it.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:20 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:He'll probably work cheap, not like Val is a HUGE star these days. ;) Voice work is typically not as costly as having to physically on screen and work on set. Voice work is less time demanding is a lot more flexible in where you can be to do it.
He may also just be a fan of the original and thinks it would be a hoot. Why else was Whoopi Goldberg in ST:TNG?

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:26 pm

Let's put to rest all the "big movie star working cheap" stuff. He read the script and liked it, and auditioned for the part. The money was the same for whomever got the part. Voice-over is quick, relatively easy off camera work. A lot a major stars do voice-overs, more than perhaps you realize, which is why they do them--people don't realize who it is.

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:26 pm

Wow! Bombshell indeed!I guess we'll have to wait till the movie to really see how it'll turn out...but they only have less than 2 weeks to do all the voiceover and touch it up in post to sound more KITT like and enter it into the movie...Shapeshifter is this going to delay the movie at all? Or maybe is Kilmer just contracted if it goes to series? I also agree that William Daniels should've at least got a look at for this but with so little time left maybe they did and he wasn't available in the timeframe they needed. I'm REALLY anxious now to see what the voice will sound like.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:36 pm

They could have it done in a day or two, voice alteration wouldn't take that long and dubbing it in probably won't be too hard to do either.. The could finish the day before it airs and they'd still be perfectly fine. I'm sure they'll be done well before that, it's not like they have to send anything out. :wink:

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:51 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:Let's put to rest all the "big movie star working cheap" stuff. He read the script and liked it, and auditioned for the part. The money was the same for whomever got the part. Voice-over is quick, relatively easy off camera work. A lot a major stars do voice-overs, more than perhaps you realize, which is why they do them--people don't realize who it is.
I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around this one- I mean, Val Kilmer is a bit "quirky" so why would he want to do this, of all things?
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:53 pm

Knight316 wrote:Wow! Bombshell indeed!I guess we'll have to wait till the movie to really see how it'll turn out...but they only have less than 2 weeks to do all the voiceover and touch it up in post to sound more KITT like and enter it into the movie...Shapeshifter is this going to delay the movie at all? Or maybe is Kilmer just contracted if it goes to series? I also agree that William Daniels should've at least got a look at for this but with so little time left maybe they did and he wasn't available in the timeframe they needed. I'm REALLY anxious now to see what the voice will sound like.
I'm starting to wonder if we already have. i saw the new tailer, and KITT had a noticeably different voice than before, so i'm wondering if that was VK.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

KITT-2008
Volunteer

Post by KITT-2008 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:00 pm

KRAvengerII wrote:
Knight316 wrote:Wow! Bombshell indeed!I guess we'll have to wait till the movie to really see how it'll turn out...but they only have less than 2 weeks to do all the voiceover and touch it up in post to sound more KITT like and enter it into the movie...Shapeshifter is this going to delay the movie at all? Or maybe is Kilmer just contracted if it goes to series? I also agree that William Daniels should've at least got a look at for this but with so little time left maybe they did and he wasn't available in the timeframe they needed. I'm REALLY anxious now to see what the voice will sound like.
I'm starting to wonder if we already have. i saw the new tailer, and KITT had a noticeably different voice than before, so i'm wondering if that was VK.
I noticed the same thing I think it may be VK. By the way I think VK as KITTs voice rocks. :shock: I've always loved VK all his movies are great especially Willow.
HELLO MIKE

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:06 pm

KRAvengerII wrote:
I've noticed the same thing, but I don't know if that's him or not. I probably won't get any more info for a while.
Phoenixzero's assessment is right on--they have enough time, and the air date won't be delayed.

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:08 pm

I don't think it is his voice. I think it is just a fill until the two hr movie.He signed last night there's no way they could sign him a dub in that time. The next couple of days will probably long days in the voice booth and than editing in time to get the movie complete for the premiere.So I am figuring we won't hear VK until the actually movie airs.

Duster
Rookie

Post by Duster » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:13 pm

Shapeshifter says they start today to re-voice the movie, so I doubt we heard Val Kilmer in the new TV spot. I guess that was still Arnett??

Really, wow, this is a heavy news. It's kinda cool to have someone like Val Kilmer on board. With all the negative feedback regarding KITT's voice after in the new trailer, maybe this is the chance to make things better. And from a marketing point of view it can only do good for Knight Rider. I am really anxious to hear Val's modified voice.

@Shapeshifter:
First: Thanks for sharing this info with us. It's really cool to have you on board here.
I've got some short questions, maybe you can answer some of them:
1. Has Val Kilmer signed on for a series, just like all the other actors?
2. Do you already know if we will hear KITT's new voice before the movie actually airs?
3. Wasn't the situation for Arnett clear before he signed on and began his work on Knight Rider? Do you know if this was a personal decision or a decesion "made for him" by another contractual partner?

Thanks again for sharing this info with us.

Edit:
Shapeshifter wrote: I've noticed the same thing, but I don't know if that's him or not. I probably won't get any more info for a while.
Okay, so much for my questions ;)

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:43 pm

Val's voice may be what it needs since everything we heard sounded like KARR. Maybe his voice will give it a better sound..just hoping for the best.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Duster wrote: First: Thanks for sharing this info with us. It's really cool to have you on board here.
I've got some short questions, maybe you can answer some of them:
1. Has Val Kilmer signed on for a series, just like all the other actors?
2. Do you already know if we will hear KITT's new voice before the movie actually airs?
3. Wasn't the situation for Arnett clear before he signed on and began his work on Knight Rider? Do you know if this was a personal decision or a decesion "made for him" by another contractual partner?
I think I can shed a little light, Duster.
1. The believe that he has, it would only make sense.
2. That I don't know.
3. It was a decision he made, but it was a decision forced on him by circumstance. And yes, someone screwed up; he was supposedly clear of other obligations. It had to do with his existing GMC contract, for whom he does V/O work. I really can't be more specific.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:36 pm

I don't have an opinion either way about the new voice. But I really liked the choice for Will Arnett, so that's frustrating...
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:39 pm

Well, it's definitely an unexpected chain of events. I'm very surprised to hear about Val Kilmer doing the voice, but don't have any problem with it other than the fact that it's not exactly what I would call distinctive, such as William Daniels' voice, for example. But I think he could slip into the part pretty well, aside from my being unsure about the voice. I guess putting a filter on the voice can also make a big difference.

I was never here nor there with my opinion of Will Arnett as the voice of K.I.T.T., so I can't say I'm really that affected by his last-minute departure, aside from the fact that I'm very surprised he's gone so late in the game. I was under the impression that he had completed all his voice work weeks or even months ago. Shouldn't that have been the quickest and easiest of the performances to hammer out? I was also wondering if half the show's budget was now going to be going to Kilmer's salary, but fortunately Shapeshifter shed some light on that. The toughest thing to get used to was the Mustang; any other aspect of the production is much easier for me to adjust to.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: