just saw new knight rider preview

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

just saw new knight rider preview

Post by knightprobe89 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:45 am

i just saw a new preview of knight rider movie, it had some cool footage of a car crashing into kitt and they show kitts voice modulator. i saw it on on commercial during late night with conan obrien. i dont know how to copy footage from tv to post. if anyone can get it and post the clip it would be great.
in glen larson we trust.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Re: just saw new knight rider preview

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:19 am

Dammit, knew I should have watched Conan. What'd the VM look like?
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:20 am

knightprobe89 wrote:i just saw a new preview of knight rider movie, it had some cool footage of a car crashing into kitt and they show kitts voice modulator. i saw it on on commercial during late night with conan obrien. i dont know how to copy footage from tv to post. if anyone can get it and post the clip it would be great.
That clip is on http://www.nbc.com/Knight_Rider video section.

And this is the new KITT's voice modulator:

It looks cheap :cry:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:30 am

Haha yeah, I just saw it on there too and was going to update my post.

Bleh, not digging the voice modulator, it looks like they are going in a KR2000 route with it looking sort of like an EKG monitor or oscilloscope. Will Arnett is sounding more KARRish in this too, not a good thing. >_<
Looks like FLAG was shut down for some reason too and for whatever reason it's Charles bringing it back.
And you beat me with the edit. :lol: Yeah, the VM looks stupid..... Then there's that stupid looking plastic thing in the back that looks like a speaker with plastic over it. What's up with the scanner pulsating when the car talks? O_o
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:49 am

Curses fifteen minutes was up right when I clicked the submit button to finish editing. I wanted to change that second plastic to plexiglass and add that I feel like smacking Harald Belker with a rolled up newspaper as if he was a dog that's dropped a deuce on the living room rug. He might not be to blame for the VM since it looks like CG but that stupid looking thing in the back is a part of his sketch. Maybe it was unfinished. >_>

I will admit though, that spot at the end with the SUV does look cool, though potentially fatal for the driver and passenger(s).

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:35 am

We'll have a youtube version up shortly.

A couple things I really like about the commercial:

1) Physics aside, the SUV crash looks really cool.
2) "I'm resurrecting the Foundation". I know people were concerned that the new show might abandon its roots. This suggests that FLAG will be the framework for the (possible) new series.
3) They're still holding back: we know there is some sort of morphing/transformation going on, but they don't show it. When Viper came out, that's all you ever saw in the promos. Maybe next week we'll see some of the transformations, but I'd be worried if they felt they had to show their hand right away.
4) The driverless scenes look great. If you go back and watch the original series, they often used a lot of creative editing to make you THINK you saw KITT driving himself, when you actually didn't. It looks very good here.

I don't think the scanner was pulsing to the voice; that's just part of the overlap in the editing.
If that red scrolling line is in fact KITT's voice modulator, I can't say I'm thrilled about it. Conceptually it's similar to the Knight 4000s which didn't work very well. But at least the Knight 3000 has real computer graphics on its display and doesn't use home videogames as a "scanner". (OK, so they finally fixed it in season THREE! :) )
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:20 am

The Foundation thing is what I hid, probably didn't have to but ahh well. :D I have no problem with FLAG being shut down, I just hope the explanation for it being shut down is good. If it were me, I would have had it happen some time in the 90s, perhaps mid-90s with the government and certain high up corrupt politicians who didn't like the meddling in their affairs being largely responsible for it. Though, that leaves the question of what happened to Knight Industries. I'd wager a merger, series of mergers or a hostile take over though KI was probably a private company, so maybe just a flat out buy out of a company that might have have fallen on hard times in the early 90s, though that's something that needs to be explored. So the combination of a government that's getting more and more corrupt (just as long as it isn't over emphasized) and Knight Industries being absorbed into a huge conglomerate that didn't see the profit of funding a vision that cared nothing about and saw FLAG as a money pit, maybe again with ties to Washington. Ugh, then again that'd just draw ties to certain happenings of the last several years. OR if they keep KR2000 in the continuity for whatever reason, just blame that uptight, egotistical jerk Maddock for running it into the ground. :D

Behold KITT's all mighty Atari 2600 powered graphics! :lol: I hope the scanner thing was just editing... The driving does look better, of course it probably helps not having a guy who's just hidden behind the front seat or where he hid.

I kind of hope the new KITT isn't getting info on things that are coming around the corner or whatever from the GPS or other satellite access functions because with the lag time involved it wouldn't work well at all at high speed, even if the satellite is only 600 to over 10,000 miles up there it'd still take time and even then the satellite would have to be focused exactly on that area and quickly.. Okay, I'm over thinking I better get some sleep.....

Duster
Rookie

Post by Duster » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:27 am

Argh, I'm at work right now and I have only the possibility right now to watch the trailer withous sound :-(
Everythings I have seen looks very cool and promising... Except for the voice box or rather the whole display. Maybe it has something to with it looking just slightly fake since it has been implemented in post via CGI, I don't know. The graphics on the screen itself look cool and up to date. But oh well, maybe it will look better when we see more of it than just a split second.
However, I'm even more thrilled now!

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:48 am

the display/voice modulator is what i expected after i read the David Bartis interview (part 2) when he said that they were inspired by modern interface designs like iPod and iPhone. i wasn't impressed at first but it looks much when it moves in the clip than it does in this screenshot.
and what's also important: it looks futuristic! the iPhone was somewhat revolutionary when it was introduced with no buttons at all but just with a multifunctional touch screen... i can believe that this is a route the car manufacturers might go in the future, but right now this makes KITT state of the art, as it should be.

still i would have wished the voice modulator to be directly over the steering wheel as a fixed display...
but uh, well, i'll watch this movie anyway, i'm really excited! KITT stopping the SUV was awesome!!!

Transparent
Rookie

Post by Transparent » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:31 am

Looks ace.

I really like the crash at the end.
The voice does sound more like Karr, which i think is a good idea
The interface looks cheap only in stills.
The acting looks pretty good too.

In the last scene, when Kitt pulls the skid, and the SUV collides with him, the Mustang became Kitt - for me at least

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:51 am

The preview looks really good. I'm really excited to see the movie. I'm not overly thrilled with the voice box if that is indeed what we saw...it could just be an editing thing and be a shot of something else. Maybe Shapeshifter can shed some light on it? The only thing that's still getting me though is the voice. It's probably just me missing William Daniels in the role but it does sound a lot more like KARR. Not does it physically sound like him though...the way it seems to talk even sounds like KARR with "Don't even think about it" and "Negative". I don't recall KITT ever talking like that. I just hope they don't screw up that character cause everything else looks awesome so far. Especially the SUV crash. As for the FLAG thing, maybe it was shut down after Devon died. And was Knight Industries ever actually explained or brought up in the original series? I don't remember ever hearing anything about that other than KITT was the Knight Industries Two Thousand. I always just thought it was a name.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:22 am

I've uploaded a quicktime of it here for people who have trouble with flash:

http://shadowyflight.com/newnbc/nbc_trailer.mov

I've also uploaded it to youtube, but it seems to be stuttering. will try again from work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RI1rcFZusM

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:44 am

I've also uploaded it to youtube, but it seems to be stuttering. will try again from work.
It looks it's stuttering for me too.

King2000
Volunteer

Post by King2000 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:10 am

Fear not. The voice box appears to be a universal display, much like an iPhone as the Producer said. Its interactive, so this may be a cropped view of the voice waves while also displaying a car, and some other things. It may look completely different, as the build up to the premier has been a strip tease reveal of KITT. I like what I see so far. The only thing I don't like is the producer and the car designer snubbing the credibility of the original series. Otherwise, the Mustang looks better every time I see it.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:28 am

I was kind of worried initially that the voice modulator was not even going to be a part of the dashboard, I thought they might incorporate it into that rear console but I just realized that it's smack dab in the middle of the new dash where the radio and air conditioner controls would normally be. It looks like that early press picture we saw of the mockup of the interior of this new KITT is pretty much spot on from concept to execution though.

I actually am going to be one of the ones to say that I liked the new voice modulator (again, assuming it was the red line) because it actually reminded me of KITTs scanner. Can't say I'm thrilled that they put it in the middle of all of those other display screens because IMO it looks too busy but whatever. I still don't understand why they couldn't/didn't stick the VM where it would normally be, the new Mustangs have the perfect spot in the dash already there for it. Ah, oh well. Gotta remember that time's are a changin' and that this isn't going to be the Knight Rider we grew up with.

I do look forward to the TV movie (and possible series) very much and I can't wait to see what the finished product of all of this looks like. The car crash was spectacular and the overall feel does seem more "Knight Rider" I think than anything since KR2000.

I am curious though if that is also KITTs VM in that rear console that we can spot for a split second when Sarah is in the passenger seat and she's reacting with horror to KITT's driving. It showed up in the preview for only a second and I don't have a screen cap here but just made me wonder. And if that wasn't also KITT's VM, what was it?
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:30 am

Ok - a non stuttering version to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xmw9pgy5Mg

And I don't mind the voice modulator (shocking!). It does remind me a bit of Knight Rider 2k - what bothers me more is the position of it. If it's an extension of KITTs "face" then it should be a little more eye level.

Neil

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:41 am

KFCreator wrote:And if that wasn't also KITT's VM, what was it?
I believe that is KITTs CPU?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:33 pm

Yeah it should be eye level but eh, I'm over the initial shock of the voice modulator I think after sleeping on it, he still sounds more like KARR than I'd like him too, maybe it's just how it was edited and taken out of context, a bit too much bass or low pitch for my liking though at least it's not a William Daniels impersonation. The VM certainly isn't my first or even second choice but I can live with it, maybe King2000 is right and besides they'll have plenty of time to tweak things by the time it goes to series, if it makes it.

Knight316, yeah I think I forgot to say that in what I wrote Devon probably would have died while fighting to keep FLAG alive but once he died (say he was also sick at the time) there was no stopping it. I see maybe KITT was wrecked again there was no way to repair him. If they leave the original out, they might as well explain it and good. But if FLAG is going to be "resurrected" then that should mean that it's been gone for a long time. But where is Charles getting his resources? Hmm....

That "Super computer.... On wheels" line in the preview by the voice over guy is kind of lame though.

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:44 pm

I thought it was pretty good. I liked the look of the scanner and the car looks pretty wild. The only thing that I am not really happy about is like what everyone else says is the voicebox. In my opinion not done very well...little creativity there. Looks very much like the dreaded KR2000 voice modulator. I thought Bartis said they were going to do something cool for the modulator common not a rip off of the cruddy KR2000. Between the two gauge clusters on the dash board is where it belongs.Eye level. excuse the crappy photoshop rendering not very good with it. But here is what I think it should be ,I made it without creativity with the bars employed just made it quick to show the idea.If someone is better maybe with creativity they can make a better looking modulator..but it needs to be where i showed it.I think that is the best place for it.Thanks hope we can get some ace artist to make it look better than i can.
Attachments
16_after_steering_col800p.jpg
16_after_steering_col800p.jpg (79.02 KiB) Viewed 15409 times

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:12 pm

Yeah, that would be a better placement... I wouldn't expect them to use the three bar LED but they could have done something to update that, a digital version could've looked cool... Perhaps King2000 is right with it being shifted to a different view due to the other things being up on the screen, he did raise an excellent point.

I was never a fan of red, so maybe it's why but I still think blue (not my favorite color either, KARR pretty much got that) would look a bit better. When I see that interior I just see blue, dunno why.

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:35 pm

I wonder if they'll still use the wristwatch communicator method. I hope they do but i doubt it. They'll probably use some sort of bluetooth earpiece or something like that.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:42 pm

Yeah, I think there was a pic of his using a ear piece. I guess not that big a deal though perhaps a watch could be the "transmitter". Then at least he wouldn't look like a weirdo talking into his watch in public, heh.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:47 pm

Knight316 wrote:I wonder if they'll still use the wristwatch communicator method. I hope they do but i doubt it. They'll probably use some sort of bluetooth earpiece or something like that.
An earpiece makes sense. It's not at all uncommon to see people walking around talking on them. It wouldn't draw nearly as much attention as talking into a watch.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

Duster
Rookie

Post by Duster » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:42 pm

LadyV2000 wrote:
Knight316 wrote:I wonder if they'll still use the wristwatch communicator method. I hope they do but i doubt it. They'll probably use some sort of bluetooth earpiece or something like that.
An earpiece makes sense. It's not at all uncommon to see people walking around talking on them. It wouldn't draw nearly as much attention as talking into a watch.
But then again an earpice looks like an obvious communication device. When Mike gets captured every foe would immediately take it away from him. Nobody would assume his watch could be a communicator. That way a watch would be the alternative that'd make more sense.

Regarding the trailer itself, now that I have seen it with sound ;) , I like it even better, although I have to admit that KITT's voice sounds very deep and a little menacing. But keep in mind these are only some short and loose snippets. In context the voice maybe doesn't sound that bad anymore. Or maybe KITT becomes more human talking- and voice-wise the more time he spends together with make (in the course of the possible series).

@neps: THIS trailer in HD would be a jewel! ;)

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:11 pm

It will be an ear piece you can see it in several pics and in clips if you look. The producers said they were going with blue tooth technology in this version.