SKI MODE

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

SKI MODE

Post by Kram061-1 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:59 pm

Why is Ski Mode defined as KITT's ability to drive on 2 wheels on EITHER side?? The only time KITT went on the left side tires, passenger side in the air, was Slammin Sammys Stunt show, and Michael Knight didn't use ski mode, he used a ramp.....
Also, there was only one Ski Mode press button, not SKI MODE LEFT and SKI MODE RIGHT. Am I missing something, did KITT ever drive on the left tires other than using the ramp in that one show?

King2000
Volunteer

Re: SKI MODE

Post by King2000 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:06 pm

I think you're looking way too far into this one my friend. Taking pot shots at Knight Rider logic is useless. It's 1980's Science Fiction, not Science.

No offense.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:08 pm

yeah you're right, just something that crossed my mind and i was wondering....but you're right

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight2000 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:28 pm

I always thought ski mode was done primarily on one side because it's easier for the stunt driver - more control etc.

Ski mode was like turbo boost - the computer determined what was the best response in a given situation.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:14 pm

I don't see why you would need to ski on either set of wheels. The car is as narrow as it's gonna get no matter which side it goes up on, I guess the left wheels were just easier for them to perform, and there isn't any need to ever go up on the right wheels.

Ski mode MIGHT be my favorite stunt they perform on that show.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:32 pm

me too hopefully we'll see it on the new show but i doubt it

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:50 pm

cloudkitt wrote:I don't see why you would need to ski on either set of wheels. The car is as narrow as it's gonna get no matter which side it goes up on, I guess the left wheels were just easier for them to perform, and there isn't any need to ever go up on the right wheels.
I agree. I think the real reason is because the particular stunt driver used for the Ski Mode scenes might only be able to balance himself properly being on top. In the Pilot commentary during the race scene, David Hasselhoff and Glen Larson talk about the stunt driver (Jack Kirby, I think?) apparently being the only one able to do that stunt. And as for the show's logic, as cloudkitt said, it doesn't matter what wheels the car rides on.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:20 am

You could easily create a reason to ski on either side. Suppose you're driving down a narrow alley and there is a dumpster on the right side of the alley. You might have to hop on the driver-side wheels so that the passenger wheels go over the dumpster.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:49 pm

I think it was becase of the balance, it was better balanced when Skiing on the starboard side and having the driver on the port side...

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:57 pm

That's probably why though they could have put some counter weight on the other side to help maintain balance.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:29 am

The stunt is done on the driver's side for stability reasons. It is easier to control having a lower center of gravity.

On the passenger side, it would be too hard to control, or sustain for long, due to the drivers weight raising the center of gravity, along with any driver movement. Too easy to either come back down or roll over coming off the ramp.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:22 am

the batmobile had a weird way to do it in one of the batman movies, just make the car skinnier lol (the outer edges pulled themselves inward) ;)