What I would do with the Mustang KITT

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

wannabegeorge
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What I would do with the Mustang KITT

Post by wannabegeorge » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:06 pm

I think the look of the Trans Am was absolutely central to the success of the old series, and the Mustang looks completely different. I understand that Ford is more than likely a sponsor, and it's sort of an appropriate choice, but I think it needs more modification. So I sketched my "solution." It'd look much better in color (and I might color it), but lemme know what you think.

Note: frame1 - standard Mustang, frame 2 - my modified nose/spoiler

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Re: What I would do with the Mustang KITT

Post by Kaine » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:39 pm

i agree 100%

nice work btw!

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Nice modifications. At least you put in some effort to make it feel more like it belongs in the KITT family tree.

=VK=
:dash:

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:18 pm

Definately an improvement somthing that they should of done.

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:35 pm

Now, that how they should've approached updating KITT to begin with! :kitt:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:20 pm

For some reason that reminds me of the coupes that seeker has posted and maybe it's just me but the front end seems a little long. Obviously Ford wasn't going to allow them to change the look of the car like that and while it would be nice if the front end was a little more aerodynamic but it really doesn't matter outside of looks. Since the car is supposed to be "powerful" and the "most advanced car ever built" or however that goes. Then again if the car in the show really does have a 500HP engine and that's it, they've fallen way short of that. At least it looks better in motion and certain angles.

Sometimes I'm leery of people especially the writers/producers/directors saying they are a fan of something because more often than not, they aren't and are just saying it to ease peoples' worries. Hopefully if it makes it to series some of the flubs will be fixed one way or another. Besides the only thing that is currently annoying the hell out of me is that racing stripe... Well that and the emblems still......
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:28 am

Very nice design you've made :) I don't think that would make the nose look too long because the original nose is very short, the front wheel is not far from the front end.

I've done a quick hand drawing sketch of the Mustang nose too, this design would need new hood and front wings, pretty much everything changed in front of the windshield, might need structural changes too since the hood curves down pretty much the same way in the '82 Trans-Am. I kept the hood buldge and extended it to the front end making the scanner opening out of it like in the Pilot presentation KITT in the original series. The headlights I made very narrow next to the scanner and I think the new LED driving lights would fit in that space.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:37 pm

wannabegeorge wrote:I think the look of the Trans Am was absolutely central to the success of the old series, and the Mustang looks completely different. I understand that Ford is more than likely a sponsor, and it's sort of an appropriate choice, but I think it needs more modification. So I sketched my "solution." It'd look much better in color (and I might color it), but lemme know what you think.
I like the modification. It looks to me like the front nose of a 3rd generation Mitsubishi Eclipse. I think it works a lot better than the chopped off-looking, flat front end of the current Mustang. Nice work.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:49 am

That's absolutely brilliant! Exactly what should have been done. I am just thinking if anything extra could be done to improve the center area of the nose. It looks like a space for something to be added to make it look even better!
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Deus1138
Volunteer

Post by Deus1138 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:19 am

I disagree. That's what they did with the Knight Industries 4000. They took a Dodge Stealth and tried to make it look like a Firebird.

The original Kitt from the outside looked like a stock Trans AM with black out taillights and bowling ball hub caps. That's hardly a tricked out, eye popping automobile, which is exactly the point. The car needs to be cool looking, but subtle. The more exotic it looks, the less believable the show is.

Keep the car looking the way it is: a slightly modified Mustang

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:31 pm

They also changed the front end and removed all the emblems, which is more than what they did with the exterior of the Mustang.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Deus1138
Volunteer

Post by Deus1138 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:13 pm

My point is people are complaining about the Mustang being too stock looking, when the original KITT was pretty stock looking itself. It wasn't some exotic looking supercar. That's the point.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:41 am

Deus1138 wrote:My point is people are complaining about the Mustang being too stock looking, when the original KITT was pretty stock looking itself. It wasn't some exotic looking supercar. That's the point.
Michael Sheffe designed a new nose to go onto an otherwise stock Trans Am (with blackouts and removed logos). This modification did the exact same thing by just changing the front nose.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

shinobi594
Recruit

Post by shinobi594 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Although I do agree with everyone else that the new shell needs to look sleek, modifying just the front bumper of the mustang might lead to the whole front looking too long. The Mustang front end (hood) does not slope downward like the Trans am, so attempting to add a wedge shaped front bumper that is subtle enough for the new mustang front end would need to make the bumper long, otherwise the change in slope from where the hood stops being horizontal and the bumper starts sloping will be too apparent. Another problem would be that the car will have too much of a front overhang, making an aggressively lowered mustang (like the GT500KR KITT) have clearance problems when it comes to dips and other obstacles. Maybe changing the whole front end (i.e. quarter panels, hood, bumper) would be a better idea.

That being said, I am not too dissapointed that they chose the Mustang for KITT (The GT500KR does look pretty sexy with its body kit and aggressively lowered stance - though I do not like the racing stripes and chrome looking rims... Black or silver rims would've been nicer and less "blingy" - and "attack mode" looks waaay to ricey). Still, the last generation lowered Trans Am WS-6 with slight modifications would've been the PERFECT candidate for the Knight Industries Three Thousand....

Deus1138
Volunteer

Post by Deus1138 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:14 pm

Trans Ams are supposed to have nose cones. Putting a nose cone on the Mustang makes it look like a goofy 2000 to 2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse.