NBC Knight Rider TWO MINUTE preview

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

msKEN
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: NBC Knight Rider TWO MINUTE preview

Post by msKEN » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:50 am

Lost Knight wrote:I do have to say that on top of the Seasons 1-2 dashboard, I am also very disappointed that a stock Trans Am engine is shown. Where's the turbojet with modified afterburners?
Where was it in the original show? In those rare glimpse of the engine bay I always saw a a stock engine with cross fire fuel injection... :D
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:18 am

I was just thinking about something when I saw the original KITT. If Daniels was in KR2000 I am definetly sure they would get him for a little piece in this TV movie, am I right? That is if he talks which I assume KITT will at some point, it wouldn't make sense if he just sat there IMO. However, they also could you past recordings and make the car sound like William Daniels did. Who knows?.... BTW Shapeshifter if you read this, was there any talk on getting William Daniels to do the original KITT in the "key scene" that he is in for quick speaking?

pezze87
Rookie

Post by pezze87 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:56 am

Oh yes, I don't like they took a Mustang, but this TV-Movie seems to become a great thing! The preview looks pretty cool! Can't wait 'til it will come in Europe (hope that it ever will..)
The Knight is back!

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:56 am

One question... WHERE are the naysayers now? (you know who you are)... The preview looks awsome, and officially confirms they "get it"... Can't wait! :kitt: :karr:

SB
:dash:

KR08
Volunteer

Post by KR08 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:13 am

i read a guys post (its bad actin) no its not
its better then old kr actin :lol:
the love the old show tho :kitt:
LET KR 08 ROLL

KR08
Volunteer

Post by KR08 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:20 am

mean i love
LET KR 08 ROLL

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:28 am

JJSoCrazy wrote:I was just thinking about something when I saw the original KITT. If Daniels was in KR2000 I am definetly sure they would get him for a little piece in this TV movie, am I right? That is if he talks which I assume KITT will at some point, it wouldn't make sense if he just sat there IMO. However, they also could you past recordings and make the car sound like William Daniels did. Who knows?.... BTW Shapeshifter if you read this, was there any talk on getting William Daniels to do the original KITT in the "key scene" that he is in for quick speaking?
Sorry to disappoint, but William Daniels will NOT be involved in this production.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:42 am

Shapeshifter, if you allow me to ask you to clarify - this might make a lot of people raise the alarm.

It's not that William Daniels wont be involved in the production - it's that the involvement of the old KITT is so minor, that it does not have a speaking role? It's not that someone else is doing the voice of the Knight 2000.

Right?

ck37
Recruit

Post by ck37 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:30 am

But if ratings start to go down and or possibly during sweeps that might change... Just a thought :)

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:38 am

I was a skeptic of the new car but it keeps looking better and better, I still have issue with the interior but maybe when it goes into attack Kitt the dash transforms and we haven't seen that yet but all in all it looks action packed and Justin is so passionate and his heart is in his role and that's all we can ask for the leading actor. Looks like they got a good feeling going on with it. Can't wait until Feb 17th

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:21 pm

msKEN wrote:Where was it in the original show? In those rare glimpse of the engine bay I always saw a a stock engine with cross fire fuel injection... :D
The few glimpses that were able to be caught in the original show weren't meant to be caught. :wink: If the show was never trying to hide the engine, we'd see direct shots on it in the semi all the time.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:53 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
msKEN wrote:Where was it in the original show? In those rare glimpse of the engine bay I always saw a a stock engine with cross fire fuel injection... :D
The few glimpses that were able to be caught in the original show weren't meant to be caught. :wink: If the show was never trying to hide the engine, we'd see direct shots on it in the semi all the time.
there is not supposed to be a 350 V8 in KITT there is suppose to be a knight industries turbojet turbine engine as stated in the KITT kit and get 200mpg no internal combustion engine is capable of this and the mustang should have a turbine in it to "keep up with continuity" as they say. so where they got the bright idea of the v8 is anybody's guess and is ridicules. a v8 is not futuristic nor is a 4 banger :kitt: as like in knight rider 2000 remember scene where the factory trans am analog gauges and factory wheel where present but had no reason being there because they where not the original series

Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:58 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:
JJSoCrazy wrote:I was just thinking about something when I saw the original KITT. If Daniels was in KR2000 I am definetly sure they would get him for a little piece in this TV movie, am I right? That is if he talks which I assume KITT will at some point, it wouldn't make sense if he just sat there IMO. However, they also could you past recordings and make the car sound like William Daniels did. Who knows?.... BTW Shapeshifter if you read this, was there any talk on getting William Daniels to do the original KITT in the "key scene" that he is in for quick speaking?
Sorry to disappoint, but William Daniels will NOT be involved in this production.

Do you mean this movie or the series if it goes ahead?

I dont want real KITT with another voice.
I'd rather faKeKITT ( the mustang) be the only car then :kitt2:

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:06 pm

DrWho2005 wrote:
Shapeshifter wrote:

Do you mean this movie or the series if it goes ahead?

I dont want real KITT with another voice.
I'd rather faKeKITT ( the mustang) be the only car then :kitt2:
I think Shapeshifter is only referring to the pilot movie. William Daniels does not appear in it, so it's safe to assume that the original KITT, in whatever form he appears in in the pilot, does not have a speaking role. If it goes to series and Mr. Daniels is game, who knows?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:27 pm

One question... WHERE are the naysayers now? (you know who you are)... The preview looks awsome, and officially confirms they "get it"... Can't wait! :kitt: :karr:
- Just because people don't talk about it, doesn't mean they approve. Check other boards besides KRO and you will find your answer.

=VK=

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:37 pm

victor kros wrote:
- Just because people don't talk about it, doesn't mean they approve. Check other boards besides KRO and you will find your answer.

=VK=
Hey VK, been a while now. Yes, you are right, I have been on the other boards. I know there are still some that don't approve, but the MAJORITY do, because they have seen that this thing is truly bringing back the "spirit" of the original series. Now what made you think that I was talking about you in my last post, guilty? LOL... All kidding aside, VK I've been regularly checking the Larson Movie section of this board for any news on the project. I am truly looking forward to anything you can bring us regarding the new movie development. Once again thank you VK for the news you do share when you get it, especially with your involvement with the creator of the franchise. I read on another thread that you got some articles and things to share with him. Could you please let us know how that went? Just because we have our new NBC pilot, doesn't mean that I don't anxiously await a full feature film adaptation of the world of Knight Rider!
:kitt: :karr:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:44 pm

Well, like a lot of people I thought the Mustang was an ugly choice for KITT but camera angles and lighting make a difference and the car seems to "fit" in this upcoming series.

I have a feeling the show will still be a little more serious than the original show but it will have it's comedic moments.

I like the fact the original KITT is mentioned, they just had to really....not in the way we are presented with though. :(

Bottom line is I am liking what I see so far and as for the voice, it DOES have that metallic tone to it but remember, as the original series progressed, KITT's voice became more human.

Knight452
Operative

Post by Knight452 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:12 am

I'm defintely watching the new series.
Show's Over...Go Home!

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:43 am

victor kros wrote:Just because people don't talk about it, doesn't mean they approve. Check other boards besides KRO and you will find your answer.
The 2 minute preview didn't impress me too much but I want to be fair and give the show a chance before criticizing. Nevertheless I have to be honest and I tell you that I am skeptical about it. The car (ugly or not) it's not futuristic, it's not a "wow!" car, it's just an american muscle car. My fears about the dashboard keep growing: I foresee no futuristic "Darth Vader's bathroom" but a simple stock dashboard with some light CGI. As for the spirit of Knight Rider, one man making the difference, we will see about it.
But I will surely watch the show.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:58 pm

neps wrote:Shapeshifter, if you allow me to ask you to clarify - this might make a lot of people raise the alarm.

It's not that William Daniels wont be involved in the production - it's that the involvement of the old KITT is so minor, that it does not have a speaking role? It's not that someone else is doing the voice of the Knight 2000.

Right?
Sorry, fellas, for leaving that ambiguous statement and then leaving town for a few days and not clarifying.

It doesn't mean that the Knight 2000 will EVER be voiced by anyone else. It's just that, in the TV pilot, William Daniels is not involved. That means that the original KITT will not have a speaking role in this production, unless they do some alchemy with previous voice/over.

Cobra
Volunteer

Post by Cobra » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:17 pm

The preview looks exciting enough.

I know this may be a bit picky and I hope they improve on certain things about the new KITT once the pilot is picked up and becomes a full series.

For example:
Why does the new KITT have seat-belts and a rear-view mirror? I think in keeping with the tradition of the old KITT, they should have kept the seat-belts and rear view mirror out.

If I remember correctly, the main reason the seat-belt and rear-view mirror were not in the old KITT was because it was a supercar with amazing AI that would avoid impact and had some "impact stabilizer" technology (can't remember the full details about it) to prevent the driver being injured upon impact (thus not having any need for a seat-belt) and it also had an AI that didnt' require the driver to constantly check the rear-view mirror for traffic.

I just wish more time was spent properly researching the small details. I know most of the fans this new series may generate won't notice or care, but part of what made the original so special was the attention to the small details on KITT. It is just unfortunate that over 20 years later, rather than improving on the original or making it much better, we have taken quite a few steps back in the design of KITT.

I hope these minor issues are fixed if the pilot is successful and becomes a series.

knightendo_phil
Rookie

Post by knightendo_phil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:03 pm

you're complaining that KITT has seat belts and a rear-view mirror?!?! :roll:

anyway, back in the eighties seat-beats were not compulsory, and the fact that KITT didn't have a rear-view was more to do with the upper dash and who knows it probably wouldn't have gotten you arrested. michael even drank beer and drove in the original show!! (and before anybody chips in saying that KITT could've drove, he didn't, we often saw michael knock back several drinks (especially in the pilot) and drive away in control of the car) but just like drinking and driving laws have tightened and people's attitudes towards it wouldn't allow it to be shown on tv these days, the same would go for seat belts etc. having some form of "invisible laser seat-belt restraint thingie" in seasons three and four was the show's nod towards the fact that they weren't exactly being great role models for kids in that department, but for me it was too little too late and the idea was completely lame.

i still can't believe people are nitpicking like this, but in this day and age seat belts are a must in a car that will do the things KITT does. simply put, you can't have it any other way, it would just be wrong to show no belts like that on tv and completely irresponsible.... and i still can't believe the original skirted around the issue of that AND drink driving!!
"I got better things to do tonight than die."

Cobra
Volunteer

Post by Cobra » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:24 pm

Thanks for missing the point.

Most people are glad they are attempting to give Knight Rider a second chance and are going for a continuation that follows similar lines to the original, but the fact of the matter is, constructive criticism won't kill anyone. I prefer constructive criticism over blind devotion to an unfinished product. I am glad that NBC and Glen Larson are attempting to revive and recreate the Knight Rider universe. Being a fan and having a close eye to details that made the original series so great, I prefer that over 20 years of evolution, we have reached a phase where our attention to detail has improved than what it was 20 years ago and that should be reflected on the show. Do you disagree?

You don't seem to understand that its all the small details that in the end can make something a huge success or a miserable failure. If all the small pieces don't fit well together, the show won't take off the ground. A black car with a red scanner simply doesn't register as Knight Rider to me. It may to you, but it doesn't to me. It takes a lot more than that to make me acccept this new series as the revived Knight Rider series I loved as a kid in the 80s.

My whole purpose was to highlight the fact that quite a bit of work still needs to be done on the car. If the show takes off, I would like to see those improvements. A seat-belt is a primitive piece of technology (its a big strap that holds you to a seat), so is a rear-view mirror. If a car can have artificial intelligence replicating human thought and reasoning, why the need to keep outdated pieces of technology on the vehicle (ie. seat-belt, rear-view mirror, etc.)?! Why not replace it with a futuristic concept of the same idea (thus not being irresponsible to kids but showing that the futuristic car is different and "cooler")?

This is what you don't seem to get. You throw around laws and why seat-belts are a must nowadays because of laws without even getting a clue to the original purpose of my post. If you reply, take a while to make sure you are clear on what exactly I am debating rather than derailing the issue into an absurd one about laws and the neccessity for seat-belts to show responsibility to children.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:59 pm

The pilot episode had KITT with seat belts but they were done away with after so who is to say this won't happen with this one? And I don't think minor details like seat belts will be responsible for the show's success...more like how exciting the show will be in terms of action, story, characters and their chemistry which was very important in the original show.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:10 am

CJaguar442 wrote: so where they got the bright idea of the v8 is anybody's guess and is ridicules. a v8 is not futuristic nor is a 4 banger
I agree, but the 2 minute promo clearly states that there is a "hybrid engine" that is to say, the main driver of the wheels is an electric motor, and the engine is there to generate power to drive the electric motor; the engine always runs at the same exact speed, and is tuned for best gas mileage and lowest emissions. These days "hybrid engine" is considered high tech, as well it should be. :)