how to turbo boost irl?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

seeker78
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

how to turbo boost irl?

Post by seeker78 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:45 pm

here's a question for the car enthusiasts/gearheads, because I am definitely not qualified to answer it. ;) Would it be possible to make a car that can turboboost in real life, as seen on Knight Rider? Possibly some kind of air compressor or something? I guess the car would not survive jumping. Alas, pure fantasy, like the light saber of Star Wars. lol. :) They should do an episode of MythBusters where Adam and Jamie attempt to make a 1982 Trans Am turbo boost. lol.

--Brian

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Re: how to turbo boost irl?

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:22 am

A ramp.

Seriously though, there's no way compressed air could do it. Rockets could I'm sure, but this just about getting the car autonomously airborne. Landing in one piece is another story and more than likely altogether impossible.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:06 am

Just an idea but maybe it could be done by manipulating the high speed air under the car. Something like a variable underbody by which one could control the air pressure under the car, that would allow you put the pressure where ever you like and control the duration/intensity of lift. I think this way KITT could ride a cushion of air over objects.

Gadjet
Rookie

Post by Gadjet » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:38 am

I beleve the Gadget Mobile in Inspector Gadget the movie had some sort of hydrolic suspention that could make it leap into the air, alto it wasnt very high.

Gadjet (no relation to the Inspector known as Gadget)
My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/gadget127 contains my own vids Street Hawk vs Knight rider, Knight rider/Mad max music vids and lots of high octaine action

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:57 am

Actually there was quite the lengthy discussion about this quite a few years ago on the old style board, I think it was back in 2001. Not sure if Neil still has an archive from way back then but there were many theories tossed around on the subject, including compressed air.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:28 am

What about Michael's explanation:

"I've got helium in the tyres!"

(From "Silent Knight")
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:18 am

rockets? how about Nitrous Oxide, if Fast and the Furious was any indication, car enthusiasts use NOX a lot to provide temporary acceleration. Of course, you would have to keep refueling the turbo boost every time...

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:52 am

No.... Stay away from Nitrous Oxide... Haven't we had enough of that from those movies? The only place I want to see it is if they have a scene taking place in a dentist's office.

I know you know how many idiots that movie has spawned, if I see or hear one more person refer to Nitrus Oxide/Nitro/NO2/Laughing Gas as just NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems, a brand/company), I might snap.

Besides then they'd probably end up calling it a Nitro Boost. >_>
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:15 am

I would say if it were at all possible that you would need to use 5 or so rockets on each side of the center and berhaps 1 or 2 on each side of the front of the car.The front 4 rockets would go first which would get the nose up first then the middle 10 rockets would go off at lower pressure would even out the car in mid air and land the car.I think that the firebird is aerodynamic not sur eabout that.The glass trunk would probably be the first to crack.

knightturbo
Volunteer

Post by knightturbo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:04 am

I think the real solution would be some sort of anti-gravitational magnetic / gyroscopic method in so far as levitation is concerned. Jets would require too much fuel/engine to make that useful. As far as surviving a landing impact...a triple coat of line-X would do the trick. :wink:

:kitt2:

knightturbo
Volunteer

Post by knightturbo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:07 am

I also think that when the car landed the frame and body would have to be flexible and somewhat organic in structure. :kitt2:

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:00 pm

Maybe we should ask the Mythbusters...lol They proved the Knight Rider semi trick part one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ekZp6MW1L8
part two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DI7JW9z ... re=related

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:06 am

ckeller22 wrote:Maybe we should ask the Mythbusters...lol They proved the Knight Rider semi trick part one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ekZp6MW1L8
part two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DI7JW9z ... re=related
Yeah I know I saw that clip. ;) That would be an AWESOME mythbusters!!! I love that show. ;)

Actually, I was thinking more about this, and you know in the fictional car, it has a turbine engine, so it's sucking air in with a huge fan, so it makes sense that the large air pressure difference could be used to make the car fly through the air, and of course with MBS kitt can't be hurt.

But in the real world I think the closest you could get would be with rockets, except that has to be refueled, so barring that I think you really have to go with some kind of compressed air scheme, it needs to be able to suck air in and compress it quickly then let it escape at high velocity to propel the car into the air.