Did Knight Rider Jump the Shark with SPM ??

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

K2000kid
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Did Knight Rider Jump the Shark with SPM ??

Post by K2000kid » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:45 pm

i always thought jumping the shark was going to extremes to get viwers tuned back in
ie the infamous momemt where the Fonz JUMPS A SHARK

SO i always imagined the writers for the show saying Hey lets "jump the Shark this season"
who ever imagined they'd make KITT look like Orca :D
Theres no reason for increased volume, I'm scanning your interogitives quite satisfactorilly.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Re:

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:34 pm

David wrote:
The SPM made him even sleeker even the rockets were smooth.
I completely disagree with this! I remember bursting into tears when I watched Knight of The Juggernaut for the first time because of how much I hated the way SPM looked!

I was a totally hardcore Knight Rider nut at the time and I felt like "hey! nobody asked *me* if they could do that!?. My 8-year-old heart was completely broken.
Wow, when I was little I liked SPM SO much better than I do now. I don't dislike it now, it neither bothers me nor excited me. But, man, when I saw that I thought that was coolest thing ever, haha.

(EDIT:ack...I apologize, I didn't realize this was a bumped thread and that I posted in it already...)
Last edited by cloudkitt on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:49 am

I liked it when I was little also, now I'm kind of indifferent to it because come on, reality in this show? Do I even need to bring up KITT's magical Microwave Jammer?

Anyway the problem I had with SPM when I got older is that I noticed that all they did was speed up the film when KITT went into it. Which became extremely obvious when things would pass by and the wind would blow them super fast or traffic in some spots (I think that happened once or twice) was also moving fast.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Making_Waves_of_my_Own
Recruit

Post by Making_Waves_of_my_Own » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:49 am

> Anyway the problem I had with SPM when I got older is that I noticed that all they did was speed up the film when KITT
> went into it. Which became extremely obvious when things would pass by and the wind would blow them super fast
> or traffic in some spots (I think that happened once or twice) was also moving fast.

Phoenix, during SPM, you mean you also caught a bird or two flying past KITT at Mach 1? :lol: :lol:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:01 am

Hahaha, that too. The effect was so poorly done, that alone should be a shark jumping moment. I know there were limitations back then but still, that was horrible. I'm glad I wasn't old enough to really notice it back then (I wasn't even in kindergarten) or else that probably would be bugged me to no end. A lot of the nostalgia I hold from shows from back when I was really young kind of has been destroyed after I saw them again when I was older. Though I'm forgiving when it's things like this and I at least kind of understand why they were how they are but some stuff just doesn't have that excuse, heh.

Also the disappearance of Bonnie and the sudden appearance of April, followed by April disappearing and Bonnie returning, though I dunno if that really qualifies as a shark jumping moment, hmm.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:28 am

It wasn't just SPM. There's one episode, I think the 19th Hole, where in the end someone challenges Michael to a one-on-one race. Obviously KITT is off quickly, by the time its opponent manages to move, it's just that while KITT is speeding away at great speed, you can see in the background people, or at one one person, walking at a 100 MPH.

knightturbo
Volunteer

Post by knightturbo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:11 am

It jumped for me when KITT started doing that stupid transformer effect. I guess that was season4. I'm still not really a transformer fan.

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:05 pm

I've always thought SPM was pretty cool, actually. I don't think it looks too "clunky" or any of those other things people describe it as (of course I've always loved that gadgety kind of stuff).

My only problem was that, from that point forward, it seemed to be used at the exclusion of everything ELSE. Instead of mixing it in as another cool feature for use in certain occasions, it became essentially the "new turbo boost" of the show. We would see it twice an episode whether it was remotely necessary or not.

It didn't help of course that the quality of the storytelling started to go downhill too in the final season. But SPM in and of ITSELF was perfectly fine I thought.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:47 pm

Amir wrote:It wasn't just SPM. There's one episode, I think the 19th Hole, where in the end someone challenges Michael to a one-on-one race. Obviously KITT is off quickly, by the time its opponent manages to move, it's just that while KITT is speeding away at great speed, you can see in the background people, or at one one person, walking at a 100 MPH.

Ahhh yeah! I was referring to the episode in another topic the other day, just it became more prevalent after SPM was introduced.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:17 pm

whats the episode (pre Season 4) where theres a race between KITT and another car (some kind of hotrod) right at the end??

in the last shot the camera is attached to the Hot Rod filming KITT tearing away but looking at the ground you can see the camera car is actually slowing down...

King2000
Volunteer

Post by King2000 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:52 pm

SPM was the best thing since sliced bread when I was 4 years old. When I started watching the series again in my 20s, it was absolute comedy to watch. Its way over done, but keep in mind there will be 3 modes for the new KITT. We will see something similar to this with Attack mode, and Hero mode.

:spmgo:

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Re:

Post by spyhunter » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:18 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
PA-KnightFan wrote:They used recyled footage all the time... but I notice that the same shots of the semi driving down the road and KITT driving out of the semi are used over and over and over again.

The difference for me is that they had MANY different shots of the semi which they mixed and matched throughout the episodes. They only had 2 SPM shots: One with KITT moving, one not. (Plus a 3rd one-time night transformation.) I wouldn't have minded as much if they had 6 or 7 transformation scenes whcih they cycled through, but when they recycle footage in the second episode of the season? Not good.
At least the scenes weren't exactly the same, they always had a little bit different timing and sound to them, so they were trying to be different, that made it bearable for me. The bad thing was one transformation that was supposed to have a moving tire, but you could easily see that the tire wasn't moving... The best scenes were when you could see the whole car in motion while EBS was activating / deactivating, if only they could have done that with the rest of the fins...

It's interesting how many different opinions there are of SPM, I of-course LOVED IT!

SH

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:17 pm

several miles off topic....

but there was a live episode of a 'so called sitcom' over here in England called 'Two pints of Lager...' and the episode was called 'when Johnny jumed the shark' which is kind of ironic considering what the term has come to mean and also that the best episodes of this show are already behind it...

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:11 pm

Slightly off topic: in Junk Yard Dog, how the hell is it possible that KITT is unable to free itself from the fork lifter with just a bit of turbo boost?? ;-)

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:36 pm

I didnt care much for spm, but I did love kitt as a converible, that's cool, only thing I would miss is the over head console :kittconv:
--knightman--

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:38 pm

Since I was first introduced to Super Pursuit Mode as a kid when the fourth season was originally airing, I loved it back then. Of course I think very differently now, and probably would have seen the creative desperation and scrutinized the design as opposed to just enjoying it. But, I still think it's an awesome feature and have to say that it didn't "jump the shark." It was just a fresh new change that the show needed. The only thing is that perhaps I wouldn't have split the front nose in half and would have just had it only extend outward.

“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: