NBC airs 30 sec Promo

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

seeker78
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: NBC airs 30 sec Promo

Post by seeker78 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:36 pm

tamatt27 wrote:I agree. It doens't sound much like Will Arnett, but it very well could be the poor quality. I don't like how half of it seems to be a commercial for the Mustang :roll: What the Mustang needs is: :dash:
HELL YES I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!

tamatt27, they MUST do something about the interior!!! That was half the coolness of KITT, all the fancy dashboard devices. Ah man, I hope we don't end up with a car where the interior isn't modified in any way.

I do have to admit, the Shelby Mustang somehow looks less boxy while in motion. Plus, in that video, you don't notice the racing stripes. Of course they did seem to fix it so the stripes are a similar shade to the rest of the car. I hope you can't see them at all in the actual show.

But I still have my same negative opinion about the location of the scanner. The scanner should be in a place such that you can see it if looking at the car from above, in front, or off to the side a little, the way they have it now, you have to be directly in front to see it, pretty much.

Overall, it did look cool though. I enjoyed it. :)

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:36 pm

If you really want to play "gotcha", I'll do my best to keep up.

Really enjoying your "storm", by the way.
- Very well, let's play. If you had the intelligence enough to do your research you would have read that Nelson B asked me about when to expect some activity from the Larson camp regarding the "storm" in another thread and I already told him late February.

But you didn't "see" that did you?

By the way...

"gotcha"

=VK=
:dash:

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:13 pm

Victor, don't confuse lack of intelligence with apathy. I just don't care.

Thanks for taking all the fun out of this.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:34 pm

You made the comment, not me. If you didn't care why did you post? Remember cause and effect, do try to take responsibility for your actions.

I'm having loads of fun beating you at your own game, with your own words. I'm actually more interested in your perspective on my MBS theory but I see your interest remains in continuing needless conflict.

Knight takes pawn, you're move.

=VK=

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:36 pm

I'm declaring a truce.

Gentlemen, please take it off the board.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

The Keith
Volunteer

Post by The Keith » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:38 pm

I wonder what a 5 year old that's never seen the OG Knight Rider thinks of the new stuff...

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:49 pm

I think we could all use a refresher course in Principles of Comedy: you don't give the punchline at the beginning at the beginning of a joke. This commercial is not meant to be a user's guide to the new KITT. If they started out with "Missile Launcher: Standard", it would ruin the surprise. So instead, they start out (rather convincingly) like a regular car commercial. They mention horsepower and headlights. Then it gets slightly more technical, then a little weird, until you get to the final payoff, "driver: optional".

And regarding the product placement: I don't see it. But that's probably because I'm not a "car guy". The momo or moma or muumuu whatever steering wheel? That means nothing to me. No idea what that is. And if you had shown me that cobra icon 6 months ago I doubt I would have know it referred to the Mustang. So I certainly understand that car aficionados may view these ads differently, but there are those of us out there who really do just see a car.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:56 pm

Hey Victor btw nice response that I caught on youtube, lol :D

victorkros (12 hours ago): Still looks like crap and if that's Arnett, so much for sounding like Daniels.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:17 am

Hey Pajaro, I think that MOST people really don't care about little nit-picking details like a cobra insignia, or a freakin' steering wheel name...LOL The fact is that all that CG stuff hasn't been added yet, and until we see the final product, we should all reserve our judgement. I have also commented before on how childish the arguments were with Victor and Shapeshifter were, I guess they didn't listen..."Knight takes pawn, you're move", come on, sounds like a 3rd grader... Not to take sides or anything, but Shapeshifter DID try to end this a few times.."Victor, don't confuse lack of intelligence with apathy. I just don't care. Thanks for taking all the fun out of this." It's okay to debate, afterall it's one of the biggest reasons to HAVE a forum, but if it comes down to sounding like an argument straight out of Southpark between Cartman and Kyle... If you wanna do that, there are plenty of other KR forums to bring down to your level, you can leave. It's VERY annoying to everybody. I want to say thank you Pajaro, for declaring a truce. That is all I had to say about that. The 30 sec. promo looks really good. I like the approach they took, serious, yet with a funny contemporary twist to it. I thought it was put together well, and since they already revealed the body type of the Knight 3000, they are saving the interior for Feb. 17nth. Shapeshifter did say that the post production would include all of the CG stuff, which should add much more to the overall look and feel of the movie. Knowing that, I don't think there's alot to worry about. :kitt: :karr:

vespurrs
Rookie

Post by vespurrs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:21 am

The Keith on Jan 06, 2008 11:38 pm
I wonder what a 5 year old that's never seen the OG Knight Rider thinks of the new stuff...
My 6 year old son is beside himself. All he sees is, 'cool car, KITT'. That's all that matters to him, so that's how I'm trying to look at the new show, too.

Maybe it'll work.

It's not really a fair answer though cos he has seen some of the original, and steals my toy KITTs on a regular basis.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:39 am

scottab21,
Not to take sides or anything, but Shapeshifter DID try to end this a few times
You are out of line getting involved in a conflict you don't fully understand. Secondly, your claim that Shapeshifer backed off is unfounded, check your posts again and see who fired the first shot since the last "conflict" you will find I've been attacked twice now, unprovoked. If you don't like what I have to say, ignore me but don't be a hypocrite and complain about me when both sides contributed to the problem, a problem that again WAS NOT started by me.
I want to say thank you Pajaro, for declaring a truce
- That's not his decision to make, it's my choice whether to accept it or defy it. I proved my point and will continue to do so every time one of you people decide to attack me unprovoked or get involved in my affairs with inaccurate information. Before New Years I agreed to "back down" from things but people sure are making that a difficult task these days.
..."Knight takes pawn, you're move", come on, sounds like a 3rd grader...
- And you continue to atagonize like a spectator on a playground watching a fight.

Don't step into a battlefield without the proper research. I've watched you ghost some of my other posts and quite frankly this dispute does not involve you, if you can't add anything positive to it, don't get involved. I read your posts before and I chose not to respond. Stick to the subject matter which is the NBCU promo.

Honestly I can stay quiet in the background but I will not stand by and let people take a shot at me that I do not deserve. You want me to be a nice guy, respect is a two way street.

=VK=

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:55 am

jjsocrazy wrote:Hey Victor btw nice response that I caught on youtube, lol :D

victorkros (12 hours ago): Still looks like crap and if that's Arnett, so much for sounding like Daniels.

While there's nothing I can say complimentary about the promo, I don't think anyone should hold their breath for Victor saying anything positive about the TV movie/backdoor pilot and that is understandable.
Last edited by PHOENIXZERO on Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:56 am

This is just out of hand. This forum was set up to talk about Knight Rider and to keep the spirit of Knight Rider alive. Frankly I don't give a crap about what NBCU thinks and I don't give a crap about what Glen larson thinks either. I bust my butt to make a living everyday of my life to make ends meat and all these Hollywood people live it up. I don't care about the battle between the two, It's getting old and frankly thats there businesses and no one else's. If you don't like the NBCU version it's ok to voice it but to make cheap shots and put it down without saying anything positive is childish. I would be saying the same thing If we were talking about the feature movie and not giving Larson the benefit of the doubt until it came out. Please didn't we all learn from our mommy's and daddy's that if you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all. I came here to enjoy the memory of Knight Rider so that it may be passed down to our children . There is fighting over a show that was developed for CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our kids don't care if Kitt doesn't look like a TA,They don't care if the scanner isn't were it was on the original. Get a grip they don't care because it's not there generation. They see a super cool car doing things . This show is aimed at the same age group the original was thats preteen boys and girls. And here were are all up in arms because this and that isn't technically right, well most of the original show wasn't technically right either but you know what we didn't understand that and we didn't care because we were children who saw a super cool car that could talk. If you don't like the NBCU version don't post remarks in the discussion if you don't like the Larson movie version don't post in the movie discussion. I made a huge mistake of getting into a debate and I apologize, I realized that I was fighting over tv show and acting immature. I won't do it again. Please remember this show is more for our children it's there turn. I mean no disrespect to no one. I mean no disrespect to Mr Larson or NBCU I just don't need to be in the battle between the two I am not a member of either camp and if I was I would not post anything negative about the other camp because that is being unprofessional and no I don't know much about Hollywood but I am a martial art instructor and I never talk bad about another instructor,school or program because that is not being a professional. So please can we get past ourselves me included and finally end this ridiculous Tv vs Feature film pie sling.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:06 am

I wouldn't say Knight Rider was made for kids, it was more so made for family viewing, of course having a talking car with all sorts of abilities is what drew kids in, myself included.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

ck37
Recruit

Post by ck37 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:15 am

Having been in advertising a bit I can appreciate where they went with the commercial. However I think that NBC missed a couple of steps to be a second promo spot.

First: Will Arnet should have been the voice through out this commercial. That would have made it really a kick ass spot. If you have him in the first one then have a different voice in the second, it throws people off especially when he says at the end "enough about me."

As for time frame to add a voice over especially for someone like NBC, they can record, mix, print and have it out within the week if they want to.

Second: i said this before but do not show an unfinished part of the car. better to not show it at all. I am referring to the dash. I Guess MOMO is also part of this deal as well, since their name is easily seen on the steering wheel again. (take it off NBC) this is supposed to be the most expensive car in the world, unique, one of a kind, not some street racers car.

Other than that I liked the concept. the car works for me as a whole and the scanner works.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:23 am

ckeller22

This is the General Discussion thread, not the NBCU backdoor Pilot Forum which I rarely posted in negatively (after it was created and the previous threads moved into it), therefore I will post here if I damn well feel like it. I've yet to see you respond to my thread on the Universal Studios Orlando issue. Once again the discussion between Shapeshifer and I does not involve you. Stop instigating further conflict and stick to the subject of the thread instead of making needless speeches to gain sympathy.

=VK=

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 am

EVERYONE

This is not the place for personal squabbles or debates. If you have an issue with someone, please take it off the forum. It is becoming far too often a common place for these threads to degrade into slander and mud slinging, and I will no longer have it. I don't care who started it or who said what - this ends now.

You may or may not noticed that the site has been slow the last few days. This is because our traffic has 10x increased and is currently at 4x of normal. It's stuff like this that is a waste of bandwidth and something that we can't frankly afford to deal with. I will not have this site turn into a battlefield.

It is the responsibility of Michael and myself to moderate these forums. If we don't think this is constructive to the health of the community here, we will speak up and you need to listen or risk being suspended. We try to be very lenient with discussion, but it's recently gotten way to out of hand.

Thanks for your understanding.

Neil

(ps. click on some google ads, we're gonna need a bigger boat soon at this rate!)

Cobra
Volunteer

Post by Cobra » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:55 am

Expecting the high-tech and "driver optional" aspect of it, I missed the humour.

I am not an expert on cars. Momo is to steering wheels what Nike is to sneakers. It is common knowledge to most people who have some basic knowledge about car parts. Now if the show is suppose to be about a futuristic car, and you have common brands slapping their products onto this "futuristic" car, it really takes away from the whole "futuristic" aspect of the car. It may not bother those who have their heads in the sand in terms of basic knowledge about car parts, but to those who realize how cheesy such product placements are, it takes away from the spirit of the show. Yes, I am picky about these things because the original show is the calibre I am used to (and this is a show over 20 years old). I don't mind healthy change and that is expected, but too much deviation and a heavier amount of product placement is not the kind of "healthy" change I am referring to.

Yes, we all have our hopes and some of us are willing to sacrifice a lot to swallow this show as a "Knight Rider" series, but many of us simply find it insulting to the spirit of the Knight Rider when we see things like a Momo steering wheel in a futuristic KITT that is suppose to have been designed by a team of top scientists.

Again, I will wait and see. I haven't fully given up on the show yet.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:14 am

Cobra wrote:Momo is to steering wheels what Nike is to sneakers.
But I think here's an important difference: what percentage of the population buys sneakers? 90%? 95%? I go through 4 pairs a year. My 70 year old mother buys sneakers. It's a very common item. What percentage of the population buys steering wheels, unless it comes with a free car attached? Is it as high as 1%? Certainly you don't have to buy a product to recognize the brand, but the Nike analogy seems a little extreme.

I don't think it's that we "have our head in the sand". We're at the beach, but we're looking at the water rather than the parking lot.
to those who realize how cheesy such product placements are, it takes away from the spirit of the show. Yes, I am picky about these things because the original show is the calibre I am used to
I will accept that there may be many people who find the product placement cheesey. But are you implying that the original show WASN'T cheesey?! That was half the fun of the show! Yes, it was cheesey and they knew it was cheesey and that was why the show had so much charm.
Again, I will wait and see.
I think that's all any of us can ask. Your points are well-taken.

ck37
Recruit

Post by ck37 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:54 am

Just want to say congratulations on the increase in traffic!! It goes to show how much of a following and impact this show has had on many people all over the world. I am sure NBC, Ford and many other companies affiliated and non affiliated with this project are monitoring this board as well. Just like transformers and all the other projects that have a "cult " following it helps them in being progressive with the show and not stagnant. In the end they want to please the fans as much as they can otherwise the show will die.

As for Product placement, too much branding in your face is never good. less is more. It' better to have your audience take the initiative to look for what the products are, rather than be suffocated with it. If any badging should be inside the car it should be the knight industries logo.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:03 am

With everyone keep talking about Ford sponsorship - it keeps reminding me of this great clip from Waynes World:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=v7thSdlRhuM

Unfortunately I think product placements are the "nature of the beast" in this day and age. With rising budgets, the studios look to product placement to help cut costs. As long as they don't have a closeup of the emblem for more than 2% of the shots. I'll be fine.

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:16 am

but didnt pontiac end up asking them not to refer kitt as a trans am?
maybe down the line if this gets popular that may happen again. :?:

I like the car, and I hope it works out. oh and i hope us Aussie's get to see it :D
--knightman--

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:02 am

I doubt it, things are different with Ford seeing as they actually gave money as well as the cars to be involved with it. Pontiac seems like they were indifferent but when the show took off they wanted nothing to do with it.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:39 am

neps wrote:EVERYONE

This is not the place for personal squabbles or debates. If you have an issue with someone, please take it off the forum. It is becoming far too often a common place for these threads to degrade into slander and mud slinging, and I will no longer have it. I don't care who started it or who said what - this ends now.

You may or may not noticed that the site has been slow the last few days. This is because our traffic has 10x increased and is currently at 4x of normal. It's stuff like this that is a waste of bandwidth and something that we can't frankly afford to deal with. I will not have this site turn into a battlefield.

It is the responsibility of Michael and myself to moderate these forums. If we don't think this is constructive to the health of the community here, we will speak up and you need to listen or risk being suspended. We try to be very lenient with discussion, but it's recently gotten way to out of hand.

Thanks for your understanding.

Neil

(ps. click on some google ads, we're gonna need a bigger boat soon at this rate!)

Thanks neps... Respect the forum... This is what I have been trying to get across to the certain people who have made every other thread into a childish argument. It's not about getting involved in a misunderstood conflict, it's about having some integrity when posting your opinions. After all, I think it is Michael Pajaro's and neps decision to make when they ARE the moderators of the site. We could all benefit to tone it down a bit, and just enjoy the fact that have Knight Rider as popular as ever now, and a new show/pilot to boot! Oh and by the way neps, I'll try to remember click on some Google ads... 8) :spm:

Gadjet
Rookie

Post by Gadjet » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:03 am

Ive been having mixed fealings about this new series.

When I first saw the new KITT I thought oh god this is going to be terrible, that cars completly wrong.

Then came the 30 sec ad. First thing I noticed is its about the car not the driver, as I think the show should be.

Ok so the clip may have been a bit half harted, dash not CGI'ed voice not right ect but I think there not letting us see the dash yet so it dosent ruin it for when we first see it.

Im now starting to have hope for the series, it looks like it wont be another TKR where they focus on the actors and forget all about the cars.

Oh and about the stearing wheel, Im gessing Mikes around his early 20s and a bit of a boy racer. If this is the case wouldnt he fit a sporty stearing wheel anyway?

Also the most logical place for the scanna would be just in frount of the rear veaw mirror on the windscreen. That would give best vision for KITT, however that would look naff so where they have it is ok by me.

Gadjet
My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/gadget127 contains my own vids Street Hawk vs Knight rider, Knight rider/Mad max music vids and lots of high octaine action