KITT AS A MUSTANG - ACCEPT IT OR HATE IT POLL

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KITT AS A MUSTANG >>

ACCEPT IT
62%
HATE IT
38%

Total votes: 81

scottab21
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KITT AS A MUSTANG - ACCEPT IT OR HATE IT POLL

Post by scottab21 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:54 am

Doug, I don't think you need to worry about the 60's styling in the dash too much. Think about it, most special fx are not seen till the final production is finished. I truly believe that we haven't even BEGAN to see what the Knight 3000 is capable of, and that includes the interior shots of the car. Just wait and give it a chance. Oh and by the way, happy to see you change your stance on the whole bashing issue...lol 8)

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:12 am

Maybe the normal mode is with 60's style but then shapeshift to more futuristic style when needed. Even the 60's style speedometers etc. aren't necessary analog gauges, they might be LCD panels and the image in the lcd-panel just have the 60's style speedometer graphics in it. Isn't this technique be in use by Toyota where the instument panel is all black when the power is off and the speedometer etc. becomes illuminated only when the power is on? Saab also had instument panel where you could black out all the other's exept speedometer.
With LCD panels you could have any kind of image representing speedometer etc., the 60's style can be one of them while still the technology behind it is modern technology.

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:04 pm

When I said '60s style, I was referring to the back end of the car that you see in the teaser.

However, like you guys are talking about, the analog gauges are also the '60s style. Like Victor said in another post, I would speculate that they will be the analog gauges when it is in normal mode and then somehow change to the digital holographic displays when it goes to attack mode. I agree with KITTfan that LCDs being used is also a possibility.

My daily driver, a Cadillac, has both an analog and a digital readout and you can choose to view either one, or both at the same time. However, it is not LCD on my car - the analog gauge just lights up when it is chosen. Without seeing an LCD speedo myself, I think it would have to be a really advanced LCD (or other technology) in order for it to look like the real analog, but of course it can be done!

What they did with the original KITT 25 years ago was really cool! 8)
:dash:
One man did make a difference.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:35 pm

By LCD I was referring to the technique from LCD television screens or maybe a digital camera's or cellphones TFT screen would've been better reference with hi-res true colour screen that can show any picture in it.
I agree the original KITT's digital readouts are awesome, I think the LCD/TFT is natural evolution from that.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:49 pm

Thanks Doug for clearing up the comment. And well... no harm done... not anymore anyway :). As for me saying KITT looking kick ass, which I really think it does, I meant the aura the car had in the trailer being an obvious Knight Industries creation... but with a big twist that makes you go... "hmmm thats mysterious." And that was kick ass to me.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:04 pm

Hey everyone,

As militant and explosive as my post was, I feel that I have to explain and elaborate.

I was just trying to convey that no one should hate the new KR series and the choice of the Knight 3000 just because the producers picked a Ford. That type of abhoration is ignorant.

Attack me if you wish, but I think people should grow up and out of the Fix Or Repair Daily argument.

I'm not pro-Ford. I am not pro-General Motors. I am not pro-foreign. I just don't care :)

If there's a reason to hate the new series, I will find it beyond the simple make of a car.

Scott

MJknight
Operative

Post by MJknight » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:42 pm

I'm not crazy aout the KITT-Stang either, but at least this way fans will be able to distinguish the difference between the TV and Movie KITT's in a few years, as you know that Larson will come up with something better.

According to Viktor when he told me on my YouTube page, they actually contacted Pontiac to help them with the feature movie and to get them to build a 09/10 Trans Am just for the movie, but they declined interest.

Which is a shame really, when you consider that aside from Smokey and the Bandit, it was Knight Rider that put Pontiac on the global map in the 80's. I mean, if Knight Rider had not come along, would anyone else in the world outside of North America even know of Pontiac's existance as a company? Tough question, ain't it.
One Man Can Make A Difference - Wilton Knight

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:37 pm

Yes it IS a tough question MJknight, the fact is true, and for Pontiac to turn Larson down really says a lot about the company. At least Ford let the new Mustang be involved in the new Knight Rider for TV. They both have a storied history in the making of the automobile, and it's nice to see the continuation with something American and familiar. :kittside:

Pie Maker
Stranger

Post by Pie Maker » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:14 pm

Well, I think I know what you're saying. But I like mustangs. The one they chose for KITT is a great looking model.
And GM no longer makes Transams. I once had a photo taken of me, standing next to KITT, the Transam. I still have it.
I'd love to have one taken of me, standing next to KITT the Mustang. I'd also love to have a mustang. :kitt:

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:52 pm

Pie Maker wrote:Well, I think I know what you're saying. But I like mustangs. The one they chose for KITT is a great looking model.
And GM no longer makes Transams. I once had a photo taken of me, standing next to KITT, the Transam. I still have it.
I'd love to have one taken of me, standing next to KITT the Mustang. I'd also love to have a mustang. :kitt:
That is awsome, could you scan it and post the photo on here? I'd really like to see it! 8)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:54 pm

I think use to have a pic or two from when my mother and I went to Universal Studios Hollywood. Or not I know a roll of film was messed up or something so it might have been that one, can't really remember. Though I do remember being disappointed how KITT didn't sound right. The guy they had doing the voice was horrible and didn't even sound close to William Daniels.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:08 am

MJknight wrote: According to Viktor when he told me on my YouTube page, they actually contacted Pontiac to help them with the feature movie and to get them to build a 09/10 Trans Am just for the movie, but they declined interest.
That sucks, that would have been awesome, especially if they could be persuaded to actually put said car back into production. :)

I think those final generation Trans Ams, from the late 90s/early 2000s, looked good too. :)

capridrifter
Volunteer

Post by capridrifter » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:27 am

spyhunter wrote:A SAD DAY in Knight Rider history! This is an INSULT and a genuine SMACK IN THE FACE to the franchise!! Glen HELP US!!!

ANYTHING BESIDES FORD would have been accepted! Do they really think THIS POS CAN PASS AS KITT? Even people new to the franchise will be told over and over HOW WRONG THIS IS! I didn't even have to tell my own daughter as she already HATES THE LOOK OF THIS CAR!!

Any EXCITEMENT about new material IS OBLITERATED with the mere words FORD or MUSTANG! If you are supporting this CRAP, you are only LYING TO YOURSELVES, this means you Neil and Mike, and no we're not just being negative, we're BEING HONEST!!

If we watch this it will only be to see how much it SUCKS, and believe that we don't need to even see it, to know that it WILL SUCK!

EVERYBODY PRAY FOR KITT and that this series FALLS FLAT ON ITS FACE!

>>LONG LIVE KITT AS ONE SICK ASS 1982 PONTIAC TRANS AM<<

SH
GET OVER IT!

The Firebird WAS cool BACK IN THE 80's This is 2008! a 1982 Firebird from the museum wont cut the cheese...Thats grampa's ride whats Hot now is the new Shelby Mustang KR ...And the one of the points was to make it so it can blend into it's urban environment and dude....how many black trans am T tops do you see? not many do you!...ALthough I'm willing to bet that you see quite a few Mustangs running around right now huh?....That and I'm so glad GM didn't get the grubby mitts on this one the one thing I hated about the transformers movie was it was like a bloody two hour long general motors commercial
with no bathroom breaks.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:39 am

capridrifter, If all you see in Transformers is a two hour commercial for GM you really don't understand how to enjoy a movie for its story. Additionally aside from Barricade, you don't see a GM car appear in the film until halfway in when the Autobots finally do arrive. You need to get over it yourself and enjoy something for it's genre and it's storyline, rather then just for it's product placements.

Honestly I am weary of people bashing Transformers because it has GM cars in it. There's a reason why it was the biggest blockbuster hit of 2007 and it wasn't just to sell cars. The cars they chose and in some cases like Ratchet and Bumblebee were CUSTOM BUILT and selected to fit the character attributes of the Decepticons and the Autobots alike. This is the same point I brought up for KITT, that KITT is the star AI, William Daniels was his silicone soul and the car they chose in this case the 82 Trans Am was his PROPER costume.

You can take a Mustang, or use another version of the Mustang like the Giugiaro Mustang (which is a lot sleeker in my opinion and closer to a Trans Am) and with the right design approach and make it feel like a real KITT car but in this case they chose to cowtow (yes it's a pun) to Ford's demands not to modify too much physically like using CG instead (I can only assume here based on what's been said about why they chose Ford) and sold out their story design needs for their financial sponsorship needs. Ford wants to release a bunch of limited edition K3000 replicas and they want to keep it as stock as possible so they have to manufacture less customized parts.

You know what's really ironic is that a Shelby GT500KR is a really expensive car to begin with and to make such choices to sacrafice better design to sell a bunch of limited edition cars that the average person CANNOT afford is really a poor decision, but I guess they're depending more on celebrites to buy their replicas rather then fans trying to build replicas themselves? Sure the average fan could build a regular "hero" K3000 but how exciting is that really? I'm guessing most people will want to make an "attack" K3000 anyway, it's just a more exciting car to have in comparison. Good luck using that red scanner light on the public roads and highways though, most states have made it illegal due to it's confusion with law enforcement vehicles.

What annoys me the most about the scanner other then it's Star Trek viewscreen effect is having it in the scoop like that just makes me picture the car as some steer or bulldog with a ugly pug nose, rather then something that's sleek and elegant. Again that's my opinion, from a design standpoint.

For these reasons as strictly a Knight Rider fan and not part of any "camps", I cannot accept it as a suitable visual predecessor to the original KITT.

That's business these days I guess. I am not attacking the NBCU backdoor pilot here, I am looking at this subject from strictly a design and production standpoint.

=VK=
:dash:

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:58 am

capridrifter wrote:That and I'm so glad GM didn't get the grubby mitts on this one the one thing I hated about the transformers movie was it was like a bloody two hour long general motors commercial.
If you thought TRANSFORMERS felt like a long commercial... just wait until you see the KR pilot. The press release basically confirmed that it's a long-form commercial for the new Ford line... :roll:

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:32 am

d_osborn wrote:
capridrifter wrote:That and I'm so glad GM didn't get the grubby mitts on this one the one thing I hated about the transformers movie was it was like a bloody two hour long general motors commercial.
If you thought TRANSFORMERS felt like a long commercial... just wait until you see the KR pilot. The press release basically confirmed that it's a long-form commercial for the new Ford line... :roll:
On the production side, there's been no pressure to make the KR pilot a long-form commercial for anything. Let's just wait and see before we judge.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:48 am

d_osborn wrote:If you thought TRANSFORMERS felt like a long commercial... just wait until you see the KR pilot. The press release basically confirmed that it's a long-form commercial for the new Ford line... :roll:
I think you have to be careful when interpreting the press release. The press release is a BUSINESS ANNOUNCEMENT, not a commercial. NBC wasn't simply promoting their new Knight Rider, they were also announcing a partnership agreement with Ford. That's something investors want (need) to hear about. If People Magazine picks up the release, they'll focus on the stars. If Forbes picks it up, they'll focus on the partnership. If Car & Driver sees it, they'll talk about the Mustang.

The Press Release is many things for many people, but does necessarily dictate the content of the show.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:31 pm

Ah, but what if they release a teaser that ends with the camera zoomed in and centered on the car's logo/emblem just before it drives away? :wink:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

wreck
Stranger

Post by wreck » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:50 am

no thanks for it being a mustang it's just like the movie transformers not following the original series i probaly still watch it but it wrong for it being a stang

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:32 pm

:roll: There are justifiable reasons for using the Mustang on the production side. Besides, it's not like it's the same KITT...

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:42 am

Shapeshifter wrote: On the production side, there's been no pressure to make the KR pilot a long-form commercial for anything. Let's just wait and see before we judge.
hey shapeshifter, if they put that show on TV and KITT has mechanical analog gages, we are going to kick the asses of the people in the production dept, with that song from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back "how many people wanna kick some ass? I do! I do!". ;) lmao just kidding ;)

I really want DIGITAL gages though!!!! there can be analog as a backup (the Navy would do it that way), like, a smaller analog instrument with visible screws etc that is clearly an independent indicator, but the main gage should be digital not this 60s mechanical stuff...

btw I believe that song is "Kick Some Ass" by Stroke 9... that scene always makes me laugh my ass off!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

--Brian

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:43 am

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:32 pm

Even though I put hate it on the poll, it ain't really hate as much as disagreeing that it is a Ford Mustang. I think they could've made a better choice, but right now all of us diehard fans is gonna have to accept it for the time being. The powers that be made their decision and we weren't part of that decision. And now they are going to either sink or swim by that decision.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:52 pm

Thanks for your vote and your honesty, it's unfortunate that so many accepters of the stang are just in desperation for ANYTHING Knight Rider, no matter what the cost, no matter if it ruins the franchise.

It seems that people are even changing their opinions because they are seeing the teasers and realizing that this thing might actually see the light of day. The more they see, the more they think they have to like it because they think they don't have a choice. The more I see, the more I want to puke my guts out.

The mustang and this show are really nothing more than steaming piles of crap. I wish I was one man that could make a difference about the choice of the car on this show, if the Hoff wasn't busy drinking his life away maybe he could have done something about it, but probably not.

It's all downhill from here...

SH

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:05 pm

Well, spyhunter, why don't you tell us how you really feel? Stop sugar coating, please. I didn't like the choice of the Mustang before, and I still don't like the choice of it even after seeing it in action. I didn't need a 2-minute preview to get that opinion; all I had to do was take a drive and look at the dozens on the road. I'm hopeful about the rest of the production, though.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: