agreement on Pontiac G5! :)

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

seeker78
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

agreement on Pontiac G5! :)

Post by seeker78 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:08 pm

Well, I'm having some difficulties with the KRO server, it keeps giving me blank pages. So hopefully this will work and not be multiple posts.

Anyway, check out this British dude's discussion about the Pontiac G5 and how it could potentially be KITT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfO3a_Qjszs

As he says, the nose would have to extended, but remember, they did that with the Pontiac Trans Am in the original 80s series. It was NOT a stock Trans Am. I think they could put a nose extension like in the first KITT, and put the scanner on the extension as was done then. Of course they would use the 2008 model and an all black one. Check out the first image in his YouTube cast and you can see that a black Pontiac G5 does look "KITT-like".

But I sent that guy MJKnight a message on YouTube saying I think the Pontiac G5 could be a good KITT, and that you guys mostly disagree with me, he replied "I dunno, it has the potential to be KITT and I like how it looks. Good find."

--Brian

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Re: agreement on Pontiac G5! :)

Post by seeker78 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:36 pm

well, I think this looks KITT like. :)

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:57 pm

I still say that a vehicle can be made to look simular to the Pontiac T/A. Aside from that - a Dodge Charger was used for the Dukes of Hazard movie and I don't see why the same cannot be done for the GL movie.

Right now I'm crossing my toes that William Daniels will be the voice of KITT for the GL movie.

Mr. Larson is taking time to do things right and he did a very decent job with the original KR - so its a wait and drool and wait and see :D

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:37 pm

KITT a sport compact? Hell no...
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:15 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:KITT a sport compact? Hell no...
Agreed. Nothing against those cars, but their basic architecture won't allow for many of the stunts required to make the movie a success. Dude, I think it's time to stop cramming your 'Made in the USA' G5 feelings into every thread and keep them to yourself. We all get your point, and some of us are tired of reading threads with your posts in them.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

young-nyc
Recruit

Post by young-nyc » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:54 pm

pontiac g5? are you kidding me?
i rather the mustang...
kitt is a sleek automoblie..
i wonder what the next suggestion is going to be..hmmm a saturn?

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:28 am

Seems every car that is available in black is a potential KITT :wink:

The G5 wouldn't fit, I'd rather have the Mustang that the G5, too. And I'm not a fan of KITT being a Shelby. The Acura sports concept seems fitting, so does the Corvette ZR1.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:15 pm

young-nyc wrote:pontiac g5? are you kidding me?
i rather the mustang...
kitt is a sleek automoblie..
i wonder what the next suggestion is going to be..hmmm a saturn?
I believe he actually did in a previous post. A Saturn Aura. KITT a family sedan...AHHH!!! :o
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:38 pm

LadyV2000 wrote:I believe he actually did in a previous post. A Saturn Aura. KITT a family sedan...AHHH!!! :o
K.I.T.T.: "I may not catch every criminal now but I'll sure be able to carry a lot of groceries." (From an earlier version of the Knight Rider 2000 script where he was conceived as a '91 Volvo.)
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:37 pm

I've seen some of MJKnight's vids and I'll save the comments on them (no they're not all bad, heh) but the G5 really does look like a "sporty" family car, I can't understand how people could ***** about the Mustang and then suggest this, a car your mom might drive. Hell, my mother drives a 2007 Chevy Cobalt which is pretty much in the same "family". >_> Granted the Trans-Am wasn't exactly a monster in the horse power department and might have had close to the same horse power even with its V8, though the real difference is in the torque, where the Trans-Am still blows away the G5. Anyway, to me it's even less "cool" than the boxy looking Shelby Mustang.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:34 am

Well I don't really know where you guys get family car out of that one, usually "family cars" have four doors, but oh well.

As far as sports compact, that's a new term for me, like I said I am not a "car enthusiast", I don't really care what power plant the vehicle has in it, or what the drivetrain is. Those are fairly esoteric terms, as alien to a non car enthusiast as "quad core" or "64 bit" would be to a non computer enthusiast. I'm not sure what planet some of you guys are from when you imply that all Knight Rider fans are gearheads. I have never even driven a car! lol. I've driven a vehicle most people haven't though, a nuclear submarine. ;) There were a lot of computer nerds who were into Knight Rider, I was one of those. KITT had a sophisticated computer, and lots of nerdy lights and readouts, I didn't really care if it was RWD or FWD or whatever.

To me what makes it KITT is how it looks, and in my opinion, the Pontiac G5 does not look any more like a station wagon than does a Corvette.

I do totally agree that the ZR-1 does look "kitt-like", with the exception that it is a 2 passenger vehicle, and KITT was a 4 passenger vehicle.

There were Saturns that looked similar to the 80s KITT, like that Saturn SC-1 I think it was called.

You're telling me that if that if that car were black, it wouldn't remind you of Knight Rider in any way? (I had problems getting a good pic of a black saturn sc-1, but I've seen them out there)

But, I guess some are going to tell me the Saturn SC-1 looks like a station wagon. :roll:

As far as structure, remember Victor's comment that the Corvette cannot be used due to carbon fiber content.

Live long and prosper... :)

pbryant_knight
Operative

Post by pbryant_knight » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:29 pm

The G4 isn't sporty enough in my opinion, but i think the mustang is all wrong too.

You need a car that heralds these words "Sleek" and "aerodynamic". The saturn is probably closer to these words than the G4.

Peter
One Man Can Make A Replica

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:12 pm

I'm sorry seeker78, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Knight Rider always had a certain style of American Muscle, and the G5 is and just looks like a compact sedan... It's just not right. :?

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:03 pm

scottab21 wrote:I'm sorry seeker78, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Knight Rider always had a certain style of American Muscle,
Well it was technically a muscle car, at least many have called it that, but surely the Mustang is a lot more muscle than the Trans Am was, to me the Trans Am was more stealthy/aerodynamic than muscle.

To me "muscle car" = "boxy like the Shelby Mustang". As opposed to "sports car" = "sleek/stealthy/aerodynamic".

Especially these days, pretty much all the "muscle cars" are boxy. Even that Camaro, that's a lot more boxy than the 82 Trans Am was. If you want a stealthy KITT look, you have to go away from the muscle car, at least, in my mind. The muscle car is getting performance just from having a huge engine, as opposed to a sports car or a sports coupe like the G5 which is trying to be more aerodynamic.
and the G5 is and just looks like a compact sedan...
Well a sedan has 4 doors, the G5 is a "sports coupe". I believe a "compact sedan" would be, for example, the 4 door Ford Focus.

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:57 pm

the terms "muscle car" and "sports car" refers to MUCH more than the body design. it's quite easy... "muscle cars" are traditionally street drag racers strong straight-line performance, often lacking in handling... pontiac gto, buick gsx, ford torino, etc. "sports cars" are built to perform better in actual driving situations, with stronger handling and braking... porsche 911, nissan z, ferrari, etc. camaros, mustangs, and firebirds were originally marketed as "pony cars" in the late 60's.

by the 80s, the gm f-body vehicles (camaro and firebird/TA) had a definite sports-car "vibe". muscle cars were a thing of the past... just take a look at the power output numbers from 1982... pathetic.

earlier, you mentioned the pontiac G5... but expressed a lacking of automobile knowledge. i'll explain why a g5 wouldn't make a decent representation for KITT using...hmmm... wine. the gt500, or even a new corvette, would be represented by a $1,500 bottle of romane conti red wine. YUMMY. the pontiac g5 would... literally... be a cup of urine. while the g5 isn't a bad vehicle for transportation (...and can be even quite valuable to a drug user needing to pass a urine screening), it would make for a horrible KITT.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:30 am

Well a sedan has 4 doors, the G5 is a "sports coupe". I believe a "compact sedan" would be, for example, the 4 door Ford Focus.
Seeker78, please forgive me mixing up the definition of a sedan and a coupe, but I find it kinda funny that when you pointed out that a compact sedan would be a "4 door Ford Focus", you made a point, they both look like family cars, and have absolutely NO kool factor to either one...LOL At least the "muscle car" , "sports car", GT500 looks like it could ACTUALLY fight crime...LOL 8)

earlier, you mentioned the pontiac G5... but expressed a lacking of automobile knowledge. i'll explain why a g5 wouldn't make a decent representation for KITT using...hmmm... wine. the gt500, or even a new corvette, would be represented by a $1,500 bottle of romane conti red wine. YUMMY. the pontiac g5 would... literally... be a cup of urine. while the g5 isn't a bad vehicle for transportation (...and can be even quite valuable to a drug user needing to pass a urine screening), it would make for a horrible KITT.

Now that's just TOO funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:27 pm

d_osborn wrote:earlier, you mentioned the pontiac G5... but expressed a lacking of automobile knowledge. i'll explain why a g5 wouldn't make a decent representation for KITT using...hmmm... wine. the gt500, or even a new corvette, would be represented by a $1,500 bottle of romane conti red wine. YUMMY. the pontiac g5 would... literally... be a cup of urine. while the g5 isn't a bad vehicle for transportation (...and can be even quite valuable to a drug user needing to pass a urine screening), it would make for a horrible KITT.
:lol: Great metaphor!

G5s (and Cobalts) are also what high school kids and poor college students cruise around it. Granted, some of them try to drive these 4-bangers like their muscle cars/sports cars, but they usually end up wrapping them around a tree because...well...they're not muscle cars/sports cars, and they suck at driving. :twisted:
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:49 pm

"G5s (and Cobalts) are also what high school kids and poor college students cruise around it."

So true... so true...LOL :kitt2:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:09 pm

I was going to say that too but I figured one comparison picking on the G5 was enough. :P
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:52 pm

LadyV2000 wrote:G5s (and Cobalts) are also what high school kids and poor college students cruise around it.
Quite a true and interesting observation. I recall a guy at my HS senior year, bought a red Chevy Cobalt cause his parents wouldn't get him a mustang. And he stripped off all the emblems and added ground effects so it looked more Mustang like.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:20 am

Surely all you guys admit that the G5 is far less boxy than a Mustang?

Is your real complaint the LOOK of the car, or the DRIVETRAIN/ENGINE?

I was saying it would make a good kitt type car because of how it LOOKS...I think you guys are still confusing that with the engine/drivetrain.

ok, just imagine in your mind that it is a RWD drive with a V8 engine if that is necessary. Since those changes would not change the external look of the car. You can't see them from 6 feet away.

Now, address the LOOK of the car.

It has two doors and four seats. It has a rear spoiler. It has a swept down front. It has a small grille. Yes, the nose would need a "kitt modification" but so did the 1982 Pontiac Trans Am. (if you ask me, a Mustang GT with a modified nose would look very kitt like, but I digress.)

This car looks like it could fight crime, and I'll bet you it is not as fast acceleration or as maneuverable as a Pontiac G5

Ford Crown Victoria, designed to fight crime, 0-60 time: 8.7 seconds
Pontiac G5, not designed to fight crime, 0-60 time: 7.7 seconds

References:

http://www.modernracer.com/features/for ... iacop.html
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2615379

this site says G5 gt coupe was clocked 0-60 in 7.5 seconds by Car and Driver

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct ... f0dc623/10

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:26 am

d_osborn wrote: by the 80s, the gm f-body vehicles (camaro and firebird/TA) had a definite sports-car "vibe". muscle cars were a thing of the past... just take a look at the power output numbers from 1982... pathetic.

earlier, you mentioned the pontiac G5... but expressed a lacking of automobile knowledge. i'll explain why a g5 wouldn't make a decent representation for KITT
You make my point for me in the first paragraph ("muscle cars are a thing of the past", supplanted by sports cars), then contradict yourself in the second.

The 1982 Trans Am, while technically still a "muscle car", had a "sports car vibe". The Pontiac G5 is also a sports car.

"In the US, the G5 is available in the base model coupe (with a 148 hp (110 kW), 2.2 L I4 engine) and the sporty GT (173 hp, DOHC 2.4 L four-cylinder engine) trim levels." -- wikipedia "pontiac g5" entry.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:32 am

LadyV2000 wrote: G5s (and Cobalts) are also what high school kids and poor college students cruise around it. Granted, some of them try to drive these 4-bangers like their muscle cars/sports cars, but they usually end up wrapping them around a tree because...well...they're not muscle cars/sports cars, and they suck at driving. :twisted:
Are you sure it is the G5 that sucks at driving, or the drunken teenager? :lol:

I refer you back to that video I posted with the professional stunt driver demonstrating stunts with a FWD vehicle. You know what they say "it's not the car, it's the driver".

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:33 am

seeker78 wrote:
d_osborn wrote: by the 80s, the gm f-body vehicles (camaro and firebird/TA) had a definite sports-car "vibe". muscle cars were a thing of the past... just take a look at the power output numbers from 1982... pathetic.

earlier, you mentioned the pontiac G5... but expressed a lacking of automobile knowledge. i'll explain why a g5 wouldn't make a decent representation for KITT
You make my point for me in the first paragraph ("muscle cars are a thing of the past", supplanted by sports cars), then contradict yourself in the second.

The 1982 Trans Am, while technically still a "muscle car", had a "sports car vibe". The Pontiac G5 is also a sports car.

"In the US, the G5 is available in the base model coupe (with a 148 hp (110 kW), 2.2 L I4 engine) and the sporty GT (173 hp, DOHC 2.4 L four-cylinder engine) trim levels." -- wikipedia "pontiac g5" entry.
Please note that I said muslce cars WERE a thing of the past by the early 80's. Muscle cars have made a huge comeback with the new GTO, Charger, 8 cylinder Mustangs, Camaro, Challenger...

The G5 isn't a sports car. Not even close. It's an base line economy car along the same lines as a new VW Beetle or Mini Cooper. The people that generally think of G5/Colbalts are sports cars are usually the second-rate THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS wannabees. Drive to your local Chevy dealership... observe a Corvette and a Cobalt. One is a sports car with low, wide stance... one is an tiny economy car with "sporty" styling cues, an imitation. Drivetrain aside, the designs are TOTALLY different. While the 82 T/A's had awful performance ratings, it at least had a cool sports-car look. A spoiler and a pointed nose HARDLY makes a sports car. there are HUGE differences in design and styling with sports cars and econo-sport coupes :roll:

If "Car Company X" wanted to market their vehicles in a KR project, they wouldn't use their base line economy coupe as KITT... they would use the top tier sports car.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:56 pm

d_osborn wrote:
seeker78 wrote:

Please note that I said muslce cars WERE a thing of the past by the early 80's. Muscle cars have made a huge comeback with the new GTO, Charger, 8 cylinder Mustangs, Camaro, Challenger...

The G5 isn't a sports car. Not even close. It's an base line economy car along the same lines as a new VW Beetle or Mini Cooper. The people that generally think of G5/Colbalts are sports cars are usually the second-rate THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS wannabees. Drive to your local Chevy dealership... observe a Corvette and a Cobalt. One is a sports car with low, wide stance... one is an tiny economy car with "sporty" styling cues, an imitation. Drivetrain aside, the designs are TOTALLY different. While the 82 T/A's had awful performance ratings, it at least had a cool sports-car look. A spoiler and a pointed nose HARDLY makes a sports car. there are HUGE differences in design and styling with sports cars and econo-sport coupes :roll:

If "Car Company X" wanted to market their vehicles in a KR project, they wouldn't use their base line economy coupe as KITT... they would use the top tier sports car.
I completely agree with you d_osborn. No matter what seeker78 tries to say about the "look" of the G5, it still is gonna be a little sports COUPE in the end. Not a top tier sports car, that is needed for KITT. This is basically an economic sports car alternative, affordable, fuel concious, etc.... It has NO place, and NEVER will appear in ANY form of Knight Rider, period. Don't get me wrong, seeker78, I respect your opinion, and I think everybody is entitled to suggest whatever car they want, but as I have stated before, I am on TOTAL disagreement on your particular choice. :spm: