About KITT's feul tank

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

katz112
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

About KITT's feul tank

Post by katz112 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:18 pm

I was just wondering about the feul tank on KITT. You know when Micheal goes to far places like Mexico or Arizona, how does he feul up? Dosen't KITT take some type of rocket feul...so where's Micheal going to feul up?? I am not a scientist, and I don't know the capacity of the type of feul that KITT takes.
Does anybody?

:? Thanks

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:21 pm

Actually, KITT runs on gasoline. :) (Or any combustible fuel.)

KI

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:06 am

Kitt mentions in one episode that he finds 200 miles on a single tank of gas beautifull. This might be a close indicator to his actuall mileage. Combine this with the fact that if Kitt has a stock size gas tank, which on the 3rd gen Trans Am is 16 1/2 gallons, he has a pretty good range on him!
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:21 am

Army_F_Body wrote:Kitt mentions in one episode that he finds 200 miles on a single tank of gas beautifull. This might be a close indicator to his actuall mileage. Combine this with the fact that if Kitt has a stock size gas tank, which on the 3rd gen Trans Am is 16 1/2 gallons, he has a pretty good range on him!
That would be horrible mileage. When my regular Firebird was running smoothly it could go close to 400 miles on a tank of gas on long trips. (best I clocked was 27 mpg). KITT should be able to go much farther than that.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

DBZ KITT
Recruit

Post by DBZ KITT » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:16 am

he actually said 200 on a gallon, not a tank.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:51 am

My bad, thanks DBZ, I must have been thinking of my Trans Am, it was 200 mpg not per tank! Kitt should be alot better than that. With a new IAC valve the best mine clocks in at is around 24-25 mpg!

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:57 pm

I believe in the book series, KITT was suppose to only be running on Hydrogen Gas. But, Bonnie probably (and silently) swapped out that limiting feature mere weeks into the program.

It's also worth noting that KITT also had an electric motor to use during Silent Mode. Who knew? KITT was a hybrid.

symcd
Volunteer

Post by symcd » Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:42 pm

he'd be going pretty slow on electrics

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:53 pm

symcd wrote:he'd be going pretty slow on electrics
True. But, off the top of my head, I only remember scenes where KITT crept along while in silent mode.

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:01 pm

There is a show where KITT is at a gas station and the attendant can't seem to find how to put the gas in and I believe he is playing with the lic. plate. "David" goes over and does something with the lic. plate and says "don't worry, it is tricky".

SOooooooOOoooo... for a nitpick.. isn't there a gas cap on the driverside of the vehicle ?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:11 pm

Already been pointed out. :)

KI

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:39 am

There is a show where KITT is at a gas station and the attendant can't seem to find how to put the gas in and I believe he is playing with the lic. plate. "David" goes over and does something with the lic. plate and says "don't worry, it is tricky".
Maybe Kitt uses a fuel cell. Makes sense. He could be running something larger than a stock T/A fuel tank, and sense most fuel cell are located in the trunk, it makes sense for Michael to be filling him up from the back. Makes sense also that the atendant went for the back since the previous generation Trans Am had the gas caps in the rear under the license plate.

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:12 pm

Could it be possible for Kitt to have 2 different fuel tanks, hence 2 gas caps? Then he could switch from one type of fuel to a totally different one.

Cheri

KITT's admirer
Volunteer

Post by KITT's admirer » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:49 pm

i dont think KITT runs on gas at all. in the episode where KITTs body is taken from a computer genius and he has to be placed in a radio, micheal is driving one of Devons cars(i think) and they end up running out of gas. he seems very surprised at this like it never happens, and i would think if KITT ever did need refueling Micheal wouldnt have forgotten to fill up a normal car. do u get what i mean or is everyone totally confused now :lol:

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:55 pm

He is run on gas, or any other combustible fuel.

The reason why in Soul Survivor you had the gas incident, is because KITT wasn't connected to the system, and wasn't watching the gas gauge. That is why it has never happened before. Note: Michael: Why didn't you tell me?"

He runs on gas. In "No Big Thing", he had to go to a gas station. In "Give Me Liberty" they had to flush his systems to temporarily convert it back to Hydrogen. Throughout the series, there is mention of gas.

KI