KITT AS A MUSTANG - ACCEPT IT OR HATE IT POLL

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KITT AS A MUSTANG >>

ACCEPT IT
62%
HATE IT
38%

Total votes: 81

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KITT AS A MUSTANG - ACCEPT IT OR HATE IT POLL

Post by spyhunter » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:00 pm

Scott,

The original series was a testament to everybody's love of the automobile, it was 99% of the show, the rest was just there because it had to be and that's the simple truth.

Victor said it best in this very thread, "People didn't start out watching Knight Rider hating the car from the get go, they loved it from the start and that matters."

As silly as it is, the choice of the Mustang, boils down to a FORD vs. GM debate, and unfortunately for the GM lovers, there are too many FORD lovers out there. We all should be more grown up about this, but you're never going to get away from that.

And even though we've heard it from our Grandpas, we've also experienced it first hand by seeing and driving the SH*T THAT FORD HAS PRODUCED. They are Found On the Road Dead, they are Fixed Or Repaired Daily, they are F'd up Overhauled Rebuilt Dodges and many other comical phrases. Yes, this is extremely low brow, but this is apparently what everybody cares about.

How many times have you heard it, "I'll never buy a FORD again", "I guess what everybody says is right, FORD is junk", "Please, whatever you do, do not buy a FORD", and when I heard that last one, I said, you don't have to tell me, I already knew that. Frankly I don't know why people bother with them, and since I came to the UK I was alarmed to see so many FORDs over here, it's quite a shame that all of these people don't know what they got themselves into. Of-course other brands break down, but you definitely don't hear as much bad rap as you do with a FORD, and at least when the other brand breaks down, it has smooth lines and a cool look to it when it's on the side of the road, FORD doesn't even have that...

When something works, you don't change it, you build on it, this is the point they are missing. The networks actually cater to people like you that need change and that is why they have chosen the flashiness of the Mustang and the story and plot are useless after they've messed up the car.

It's not just a car, it's the Knight Industries Two/Three Thousand that we're talking about.

Everybody has their own opinion, and you should be grown up enough to accept it, and thankfully yours is just a drop in the bucket...

SH
Last edited by spyhunter on Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:43 pm

wow scott, that was excellent,and very well put, thank you for saying what you said, i totally agree with your statements. everybody should get a grip, so what if its a mustang.
in glen larson we trust.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:06 pm

You probably already know what I'm going to say, but let me say it anyway.

I agree with you that the outrage over the Mustang seems a bit much. But calling people the "low-prow, ADD inflicted group of this country" probably isn't the best way to influence them.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Nismogtr21
Recruit

Post by Nismogtr21 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:23 pm

I hate it.

It's a supercar, it's supposed to look like one. The current Mustang was designed with a retro theme, harking back to the Mustangs of the '60's, in that sense alone, the choice they made was horrible.

Add to that, they are using a Mustang with tacked on body panels that look like they are just glued on, a ricer rear wing, grrrr. This car actually looks less sleek and modern THAN THE '82 TRANS-AM THEY USED WAY BACK WHEN....that's sad.

The photoshopped picture of the all blacked out Vette with the scanner will forever haunt my Knight Rider dreams, lol.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:38 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
spyhunter wrote:If the car was right and the actor could keep the show alive like Hasselhoff did, it could have another 4 year stint.
I think we have some common ground there. Although KITT attracted viewers in the first place, I truly believe that Hasselhoff was a HUGE part of selling the idea that KITT was a real character. I think the success of the movie/series rests more on Justin Bruening's shoulders than KITT's bumper.
From what I've heard, everyone is over the moon with Bruening's performance. He is apparently really inhabiting the role, making it his own.

An interesting tidbit: When filming was about half completed, Steve Shill, the director, put together a rough cut of the first hour. His comment? "It's just So Entertaining." This guy has directed more of your favorite recent TV shows than anyone you could name. He thinks it's great. Hang on, guys. It's going to be OK.

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:40 pm

I like the current Mustangs. They are cool looking, classic styled, and powerful. I even rented one in 2005 when I was out of town and I have to say that it was a fun car to drive.

But that being said, the Mustang is a terrible choice for Knight Rider!

When something changes that doesn't make sense with something you really like, like Knight Rider, we should voice our disapproval about it. Whether it's the storyline, the characters or the dog that didn't bark the right way.

The Ford GT or the newer Mustang concept car would of worked as KITT in my opinion, but not feasable because of various reasons.

Since when did aerodynamics become unimportant when trying to have a car that is as fast as possible. In order to stay with the concept of KITT being a super-advanced car that can cruise through a huge area, like the plains of Nebraska, in as short of time as possible, they should pick a car that is aerodynamic!!! - which the Mustang is not! So FLAG choosing the Mustang for the new KITT just doesn't make sense.

For Knight Rider, the car is a main part of the show. (what %, I don't know) If you hardly care about the car, why bother watching it. Other shows can spend more time on the plot than showing a car running around.

If the new NBC Knight Rider is entertaining and succeeds I will still be happy and enjoy it in awesome HD, but I know it could of been better.
One man did make a difference.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:37 pm

spyhunter wrote:Scott,

The original series was a testament to everybody's love of the automobile, it was 99% of the show, the rest was just there because it had to be and that's the simple truth.

Victor said it best in this very thread, "People didn't start out watching Knight Rider hating the car from the get go, they loved it from the start and that matters."

As silly as it is, the choice of the Mustang, boils down to a FORD vs. GM debate, and unfortunately for the GM lovers, there are too many FORD lovers out there. We all should be more grown up about this, but you're never going to get away from that.

And even though we've heard it from our Grandpas, we've also experienced it first hand by seeing and driving the SH*T THAT FORD HAS PRODUCED. They are Found On the Road Dead, they are Fixed Or Repaired Daily, they are F'd up Overhauled Rebuilt Dodges and many other comical phrases. Yes, this is extremely low brow, but this is apparently what everybody cares about.

How many times have you heard it, "I'll never buy a FORD again", "I guess what everybody says is right, FORD is junk", "Please, whatever you do, do not buy a FORD", and when I heard that last one, I said, you don't have to tell me, I already knew that. Frankly I don't know why people bother with them, and since I came to the UK I was alarmed to see so many FORDs over here, it's quite a shame that all of these people don't know what they got themselves into. Of-course other brands break down, but you definitely don't hear as much bad rap as you do with a FORD, and at least when the other brand breaks down, it has smooth lines and a cool look to it when it's on the side of the road, FORD doesn't even have that...

When something works, you don't change it, you build on it, this is the point they are missing. The networks actually cater to people like you that need change and that is why they have chosen the flashiness of the Mustang and the story and plot are useless after they've messed up the car.

It's not just a car, it's the Knight Industries Two/Three Thousand that we're talking about.

Everybody has their own opinion, and you should be grown up enough to accept it, and thankfully yours is just a drop in the bucket...

SH
Ok... please stop right there... Now you are just insulting a whole bunch of people... including me... I could open a whole big can of GM bad rep stories but I won't. I drive Ford... infact I drive an old MK 1 Mondeo, it was even one of the very first produced... almost 15 years later... it still runs perfectly with the original engine and tranny... I can do 120 mph in it... with no effort and it runs 33 miles to the gallon... Saying FORD is crap (without exception) is just plain insulting to me as a Ford driver and Ford fan (for a reason, if you want to know it ask me). It is also just dumb, now I know I should not respond to your comments... but I would just like to ask you to read them again... and see how they are written... If my Mondeo would be able to talk... It would yell foul language at you right now. Infact KITT would too... I, like I said, am a Ford fan, should I hate the original's KITT TA for that? No and I don't, infact I loved it... because of the show! The same will happen to the Mustang, it will be loved too if the show is done properly and the stories will not be as bad as in TKR (though granted it will be loved in a very different fashion, which it should be to be perfectly honest).
And trust me... there are plenty if not equal or more GM fans out there too... so I could use your reasoning against you by saying that its good is not a GM car because there are to many GM fans out there, but that would be rediculous to say... and I won't say it because I really don't feel that way and I really do think that it is rediculous to suggest that.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:04 pm

Newbie and longtime KR fan here. :)

I gotta say I was just as outraged at this choice as everyone else here at first. While a cool car, those Mustangs are freakin' EVERYWHERE, and I was hoping to see something different used for KITT. Plus the placement of the scanner really made it seem like the producers didn't understand the original design at ALL -- the scanner was always meant to be KITT's one, roving eye, yet the Stang already has two "eyes" in the form of those glowering headlights. Which makes the scanner look completely superflous as a result.

But I have to admit the car has started to grow on me. And I think it could still be a pretty badass KITT-- at least as long as they let the car actually DO STUFF. I want to see this car turboboost and crash through walls and go racing across bumpy, dirty roads like the original always did, dammit. My favorite aspect of the original KR was seeing KITT race around the countryside more like an offroad truck than a sleek, black sports car.

I'd be interested in hearing from Shapeshifter if they're doing any of that stuff with this car or not. Because given that Ford didn't want them to modify the car too much in the FIRST place, I'm a little worried they'll just want to keep it shiny and pristine throughout the series.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:16 pm

Aside from having my original thread locked for lets say questionable reasons, it is no secret that I do not care if the new KITT in the backdoor pilot is a ford or any other car maker for that matter. My problem lies in the design or lack there of. I have and always will respect Michael Scheffe and the artistic influence and custom designed magic he gave to the original series and I believe he could make any car look good, his track record speaks for itself.

KITT is a character as much as he is a car. Like an person, the car should be given as much attention to detail as an actor/actress gets with their wardrobe. In my opinion the clothes do not fit the character. I can easily accept this being a "new" Knight Rider but I cannot easily accept it being a "continuation" of the show I grew up with.

=VK=

KR08
Volunteer

Post by KR08 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:25 pm

thx for that
scott
SH U WHINNER
LET KR 08 ROLL

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:54 pm

I never said that I wanted the original KITT. That would be dumb to have a 25 year old car as KITT. However, don't you find it slightly ironic that you say KITT shouldn't be a 25-year old car and yet they put in a retro Mustang designed to look like a 40 year old car? True, I don't like Ford's in general, but if I was gonna get one - sure, it would be a mustang. It just doesn't fit as KITT. Opinion of course, but a widely shared one.

I agree that you can't please everyone, especially everyone on this board. And trust me, I'm used to being insulted for accepting what I get for something that I asked for. As I said before, even though I don't like the Mustang, I'm still gonna watch the show. Everyone on this board that says they won't is a liar. Every one of us is going to watch at least an episode.

HOWEVER, I fully understand the anti-Mustang sentiment, and people don't complain just because they're bitches. I don't think he has to be a Pontiac or even GM. Frankly I think I they deserve it for their STUPID move of not allowing the show to call it a Trans Am. I would just rather him not be a Ford.

KITT is a character, not a car. If someone was adapting your favorite book into the movie, and the female or male lead in the book was supposed to be ravishingly beautiful/handsome. Say they picked an actor/actress that you thought was hideous, even if others didn't. Would you not be upset? People's attitudes toward KITT are no different.

I fully understand both sides of this, and sure, you could insult the people that disagree with it as being the problem with the country (whichever country "this" is). But then couldn't I accuse you of being the same thing, only because you just take what you can get and never offer an opinion of your own? (This complete hyperbole, for the record)
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:58 pm

cloudkitt wrote: KITT is a character, not a car. If someone was adapting your favorite book into the movie, and the female or male lead in the book was supposed to be ravishingly beautiful/handsome. Say they picked an actor/actress that you thought was hideous, even if others didn't. Would you not be upset? People's attitudes toward KITT are no different.
Good point, I really hate the casting of Mary Jane for spider-man, while I'm most likely the only person on the face of the earth who finds Kirsten Dunst not only annoying but very unattractive in the film itself, Especially when she is supposed to be playing a super hot model / actress. Sorry had to rant, back on topic... :-D
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:09 pm

msKEN wrote:
cloudkitt wrote: KITT is a character, not a car. If someone was adapting your favorite book into the movie, and the female or male lead in the book was supposed to be ravishingly beautiful/handsome. Say they picked an actor/actress that you thought was hideous, even if others didn't. Would you not be upset? People's attitudes toward KITT are no different.
Good point, I really hate the casting of Mary Jane for spider-man, while I'm most likely the only person on the face of the earth who finds Kirsten Dunst not only annoying but very unattractive in the film itself, Especially when she is supposed to be playing a super hot model / actress. Sorry had to rant, back on topic... :-D
Thank God! I thought I was alone! Those, those teeth... You're a millionaire, see a dentist already! :D

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:50 pm

Mango19 wrote:
msKEN wrote:
Thank God! I thought I was alone! Those, those teeth... You're a millionaire, see a dentist already! :D
Very funny! (although I DO like her...)

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:55 pm

accepted baby i like the new gt500s

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:04 pm

Hey, I just noticed, the Accepts are pulling ahead of the Hates! Is this the start of Mustang acceptance? World peace? Dogs and Cats living together? There, I've gone too far. :D

young-nyc
Recruit

Post by young-nyc » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:39 pm

[quote="msKEN]
Good point, I really hate the casting of Mary Jane for spider-man, while I'm most likely the only person on the face of the earth who finds Kirsten Dunst not only annoying but very unattractive in the film itself, Especially when she is supposed to be playing a super hot model / actress. Sorry had to rant, back on topic... :-D[/quote]

my thoughts exactly..
don't worry i'm hoping in part 4 they will have a new cast for spiderman and maryjane would be one hot chica =)

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:21 am

I decided, I ACCEPT KITT being as a MUSTANG :)

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:18 am

Shapeshifter wrote:Hey, I just noticed, the Accepts are pulling ahead of the Hates! Is this the start of Mustang acceptance? World peace? Dogs and Cats living together? There, I've gone too far. :D
Dogs and Cats indeed. Either there are some bogus votes, or they are just trying to spite me, this can't be true, they're lucky I didn't put Love It, but was hoping this would be more honest, I know I know, I don't give up...

SH

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:50 am

like i said before: i was disappointed at first when i saw the Mustang Shelby GT500KR would be the new KITT, but i came to realize that this KITT is not the KITT we all know.
the Knight 2000 is/was the CPU in the original Trans Am, but it was still KITT to me when it was installed into the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air or the Knight 4000 chassis in Knight Rider 2000. Of course both cars were not even close to being as cool as the Trans Am body, but still KITT ist not the body but the CPU, or visually the scanner and the voicebox. (no wonder these two distinct features are the only ones changed on KARR, because it's a different CPU in an identical body).

So the new KITT - the Knight Industries Three Thousand - is a new CPU in a new body. Propably it's even a good idea to have it look so different to the previous KITT, so it helps the old fans to realize, that it is a completely new car. I just hope they'll have a unique scanner and a unique voicebox of some kind for this KITT, because that is what makes the car a character you can relate to.
If they get that one right, i can very much accept, that the new KITT is a Mustang!

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:43 am

Kaine, you have seen the light... That´s what I was saying the whole time, it is a totally new project. And thus a new character.

Shapeshifter, world peace... hahah that would be the day.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

Tony
Rookie

Post by Tony » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:42 am

Quite frankly I am tired of FORD cars being bashed to the ground.. Spyhunter have you ever owned a FORD??
Well I have. Several to be exact, all different models too. And I also owned several GM cars as well (including
a full blown KITT replica) My replica is a POS. that thing is the worst built car I have ever owned ( GM wise ) But
I love it because of what it is. If it was just a plain jane Trans Am I would of drove it off the cliff by now. LOL
So seeing a new Knight Rider car as a Ford Mustang, is kinda cool to me. And plus I also own a 2006 Ford Mustang GT.
That Mustang is a great car. All my older Mustangs were a great cars. ALL MY FORDS WERE GREAT CARS.
So spyhunter I thing you should slow your roll a bit. cause every car is a POS no matter what make or brand it is..

I 110% accept the new car being a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR it's the only true muscle car left in North America [

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:45 am

I accept the mustang as the new kitt. Face it, ladies and gentleman, the original Kitt wasn't all that different either. He was almost as stock as the new Kitt and this is the purpouse: belinding in the car with the rest of the world. The only thing I don't like about the new Kitt are the racing stripes.

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:22 am

I understand your point Scott. First I want to say I don't hate Ford and I like the Shelby Mustang and I am a fan of Carol Shelby as well as American muscle cars. I said I would be willing to give the stang a try but I am disappointed in the creativity incorporated in the car. Let's not forget that the car is a major character in the show. I believe just like there needs to be creativity in developing a interesting character for the actor to play the car should be given the same respect. Yes Sheffe just changed the front end and blacked lights out but the way it was approached to me was creative to make the car distinct and apart from the everyday car. The effects on the new Kitt look blatantly like they glued moldings on the car. Nothing radical to change it besides those awkward looking wings in the back. Yes just to tell you I hated the spm on the original Kitt I thought it made the car look goofy. I am just asking for a little more creativity. Hopefully the interior will be done in such a way.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:28 am

msKEN wrote:
Hahaha, don't worry. I don't like her either.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"