How is does Glen Larson feel about David?

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

How is does Glen Larson feel about David?

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:17 pm

I know in the season 1 commentary they had their little quarels but does Glen really dislike David enough not to include him in the new movie?I just won't like the movie or the series the same if David isn't involved in them at all.I means theirs still hope that kitt will have some resemlance or personality that he always had but I for one want to see the dynamic duo reunited 17 years since they last spoke in the same movie/series.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:41 pm

I would say that Glen's feelings towards David are somewhat independent of whether or not Hasselhoff appears in the film.

Keep in mind, with the production costs, promotional tie-ins, etc. this could easily be $75-$100 million project. Larson may be a creative writer, but he's also a smart businessman. He doesn't have the luxury of holding petty grudges. The most important question for him would be "how would Hasselhoff's appearance in the film enhance the story we're trying to tell?"

If the franchise is going to be rebooted, then Hasselhoff potentially becomes a distraction. Because the viewers won't see him as a character, they'll see him as a the actor. And that will bring us out of the story. Now, it may be worth it. Stan Lee appears in all of his movies without any problem, of course he's a much smaller star than the Hoff.

It may be worth it, as a shout out to the fans, to have David appear. But I have to believe that Hasselhoff's participation or lack therof will be a creative decision and not a personal one.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:18 am

Michael,

I agree with most of what you've said about the story. What you do not realize is that David offered Glen a million dollars to sell him the film rights to Knight Rider and he turned him down. It's a pretty intense grudge that goes back years and he's a stubborn man.

David's insistance to force/convince Glen to make a Knight Rider movie, going out and hiring a guy to write a script, and asking Orlando Bloom to play his son in it have only antagonized things further.

David tried to go around Glen instead of being patient enough to get involved with him and that hurt his chances greatly. The problem is you simply cannot legally make a Knight Rider movie without Glen's consent and if you can't attain that, you have no power to act. It doesn't matter how many scripts you have or what your dream cast will be, none of it can happen unless Glen agrees to it.

While I agree with you that its a smart business decision to try and give the fans what they want, in this case the best you're going to get is a cameo. Again, NBC/Universal could use David in a cameo or even bring him back as Michael on their series but never in a feature film capacity.

=VK=

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:43 pm

Victor hopefully you can answer this. I'am sure that I heard a few years ago that David had bought the movie rights of knight rider from Universal Studios. When did he sell them to Glen?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:28 pm

That's something that deserves its own thread.I too had the same question come to mind.I mean how many different sets of rights are there?Glen has some,Universal has some,David has some as well.

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:57 pm

Knight Racer go ahead and make a new thread asking that question. Theres a better chance of someone seeing it and having the answer we are looking for.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:01 pm

David has no rights to Knight Rider whatsoever. Glen has the motion picture rights, Universal has the tv and made for TV rights. All David receives from Knight Rider are residuals when episodes are aired in syndication or dvd sales which are pretty small. They're like 1/20 of 1%

David can also make money off personal appearences and conventions as well but he has no rights to control what happens to Knight Rider in any way, shape or form.

This seperate between film rights and tv rights exists only because of an older contract deal signed in the 80s with different terms and circumstances. Today these seperation of properties no longer exist, it's usually a package deal unless it's being based off a novel which falls under copyright law not so much guild registrations like WGA.

Comic books however do have a distinction between likeness rights like say Marvel's version of Spider-man in the comics compared to Sony's version of Spider-man in the movies.

=VK=

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:33 pm

Then a year ago or so David took the idea to Revolution Studios to get them to create the movie but they had the stupidest idea of making the car not talk to entertain a hip and younger generation.If they would have let that happen I personally would have run the execs down with their version of kitt.

I guess David just took the idea and really didn't purchase the rights just aaked Revolution Studios what they thought of the idea of bringing knight rider to the silver screen.He probably would have contacted Glen if he felt they would have done it right.

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:49 pm

Somthing is not right here. I'am pretty darn sure that at one time David had the movie rights to knight rider. He must of sold them to Glen. I think David bought the rights after he was finished with Baywatch. But since I now own a computer it looks like I have to do some digging.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:08 am

Incorrect,

Glen and David decided to put aside their differences at the time and both approached Revolution Studios with their movie ideas in which Revolution Studios decided they didn't want the car to talk.

After their option ran out, things again declined and David chose to try to revive the interest in making a Knight Rider movie but this time he did so without Glen's involvement.

Quite a grave mistake as you can see now.

David never owned the rights to Knight Rider in any way, shape, or form. He has however tried to do certain things like have scripts written, select cast lists, and the like in order to spark interest back up in creating a Knight Rider movie prior to Glen's decision to create the film as a reboot/re-imagining of the original pilot.

=VK=

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:19 am

I couldn't find anything offical in my search. Only other people saying he did. But you really can't go by that. I'am now beginning to wonder if David made that up to stir up interest?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:05 am

David has done a lot of things that are unofficial to stir up interest in Knight Rider be it movies or a tv series relaunch. Maybe NBC/Universal has plans for him in the future, who knows we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

=VK=

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:22 pm

And what was it originally that Hasselhoff did that pissed off Larsen? Does it all stem from Knight Rider 2000?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:12 pm

David did some things behind Glen Larson's back including knight 2000 tv movie.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:36 pm

I don't have much to say about this issue except that hopefully D. Hasselhoff and Glen Larson will eventually be able to effectively and somewhat amicably work out their differences with each other.

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:08 pm

If David is in the new tv series I doubt it very much that is going to happen.

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:06 am

Thinking about it, I really don't think David Hasselhoff should be in the movie at all. Since it's a reboot I suppose the main role will still be Michael Knight and he's obviously not going to play that, and he shouldn't be playing any other Knight Rider role.

With the TV series being a continuation though, it could happen, as he could still be Michael Knight, just not have the main role.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:19 am

If he couldn't play as Michael Knight in the movie I would at least cast him as Wilton Knight or Devon Miles.

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:34 pm

I agree that glen seems to be bashing david in the commentaries. I don't recall exactly what he said and I know some of it was just joking around be glen seemed to insult david a lot with which david never responded
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:15 pm

Knight Racer wrote:If he couldn't play as Michael Knight in the movie I would at least cast him as Wilton Knight or Devon Miles.
That's the thing, really. Hasselhoff should only play one role on Knight Rider. It would be silly to cast him as a Devon or a Wilton.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:16 pm

Amir wrote:Thinking about it, I really don't think David Hasselhoff should be in the movie at all. Since it's a reboot I suppose the main role will still be Michael Knight and he's obviously not going to play that, and he shouldn't be playing any other Knight Rider role.

With the TV series being a continuation though, it could happen, as he could still be Michael Knight, just not have the main role.
Agreed. I think a cameo appearance by David Hasselhoff would be cheesy IF it's not as Michael Knight. I can see him being some random guy sitting in his car and watching K.I.T.T. turbo boost over him with his jaw dropped, or saying some kind of silly reference to the original series as a nod to the fans.

On the other hand, if he makes a cameo in the TV series as Michael, it would be great, and I think would be a completely different matter. Perhaps even hold off his appearance for a few episodes (or even an entire season) as sort of an incentive to keep watching. But I'm sure it would be extremely difficult to keep a guest appearance like that secret, like the series 24 has to constantly do.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:57 am

Yeah, he has to play Michael Knight if it's the NBC series we're talking about. He can be in the Wilton Knight or Devon ROLE, but he shouldn't actually play those characters.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:36 am

Its getting to the stage now theres so much talk of it that I wonder if it will ever get made...
--knightman--

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:16 am

Which movie are you reffering to? Movie screen or tv movie?