NBC KR-07 pilot script review...

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

d_osborn
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

NBC KR-07 pilot script review...

Post by d_osborn » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:08 pm

aside from the shapeshifting, it doesn't sound as bad as i thought. though as a fan, i would still rather see larson's project move forward. WARNING.... spoilers!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34497

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:31 pm

This actually sounds really good. :)
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm

Interesting. It's also a relief to hear that, at according to the script, KITT won't turn into a robot, but shapeshift. I actually find that ability pretty cool. :D I also like the fact that KITT will have even more of a role in the show. The only thing that has me a little nervous is KITT being "cold" but charming. I hope they don't make him too computer-like.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:36 pm

Well, in all fairness, K.I.T.T. was a little cold and computer-like in the pilot episode and in many instances throughout the first season. As the series progressed, he became more and more human all the way through to Knight Rider 2000. I'm not sure if that was ever a conscious effort by the producers during the original series, or if the writers and William Daniels just got more and more used to the role. Either way, I'm glad it worked out that well because that growth was one of my favorite aspects of the series as a whole.

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:25 pm

sounds very promising to me! and since it is a completely different concept from the knight rider movie i think we could have both incarnations without one being redundant.

i'm looking forward to this!

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:47 pm

i've always been a fan of the "cold" KITT from the first season. it IS a computer, you know. :wink:

maybe which ever project doesn't make it to screen could be get to the fans in the form of a graphic novel? i could see that being more likely with larson's script...

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:57 pm

That sounds pretty good! I for one would love to see it.

As for KITT being "cold and computer-like", I think it's actually a good thing. Will make it interesting and even an element of believability. Sure the show is fiction, but look at how the original Star Trek was fiction and now look at the things we can do with our computers today.

It would also mean some comic relief in the show as a computer tries to deal with things it is not capable of understanding. :lol:

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:11 am

KITT a shape-shifter?
I hope this won't be too much like the "Star Trek:Deep Space Nine" Odo character.
Somehow, KITT as a shape-shifter to me just doesn't compute.
However, if KITT would change into either a Scarab speedboat or a plane, that would be nice.
Also, in my fantasy dream world, DH himself would be behind the wheel of this KITT as an older and wiser(maybe) Michael Knight.

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:25 pm

This sounds great. When that's true, they've taken all the great things from the original series to create this new one. Knight Industries Three Thousand aka KITT is awesome, and the characters seem interesting.
And there are not just single stories, but there is a general background theme that goes on. I like it. And it's the same Universe, so Michael and Kitt have some sort of role. Couldn't be better.
And since KITT's blueprints are stolen, we could see KARR again (some parts and its CPU was still working, remember).

I hope they'll do this show.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

I just thought of something. Didn't the car in Viper or whatever that was (forgot, sorry) change shape or shape-shift? Could it be based a little on that as well?

JimmyPSHayes
Operative

Post by JimmyPSHayes » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:15 pm

This sounds GREAT!! At first I was hoping that it was a re-boot, but after reading this, I'm really glad that it's not. I can go see the movie for that.I'm thankfull that the new show/tv movie will maintain the "fun" aspect of the old show. I really can't wait for this to air!

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:13 pm

The movie has entirely nothing to do with the NBC/Universal TV series in plot or design. Far as I can tell this show is just going to end up as another TKR meets Mission Impossible without the extra cars.

=VK=

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:38 pm

It appears as if Knight Rider 2000 is going to be ignored completely. What gives me that impression is simply the new acronym for K.I.T.T. (Knight Industries Three Thousand). It seems unlikely to me that the technology would be taking a step backwards from the Knight 4000 to the Knight 3000. And even though most of us didn't like Knight Rider 2000, I still strongly feel that it shouldn't be completely wiped out of the universe in a continuation series. That's simply because the characters' fates were logical extrapolations of the original series and in real life we're now way past the year 2000, of course. What should be left out, however, is that computer mind reading, the ultrasonic handguns, and the cryogenic prison nonsense.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:56 pm

I wonder how they'll deal with the death of Devon, since in KR 2000 he was killed by lethal injection by the bad guys.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:25 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:I wonder how they'll deal with the death of Devon, since in KR 2000 he was killed by lethal injection by the bad guys.
Indeed. I forgot to mention that. And not meaning to sound like a total geek here, but I'm also wondering how this Molecular Bonded Shell is going to work if the car's body will be able to shift shapes. The shell is supposed to be indestructible once the second layer of it is hardened, so that would mean it would have to melt or liquify to allow changes in shape.

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:33 am

It seems as if they're going for more of a "loose" continuation... much like the new TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES and SUPERMAN movies... referencing previous movies, ignoring the bad ones, and not taking every frame for gospel...

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:37 am

It seems as if they're going for more of a "loose" continuation... much like the new TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES and SUPERMAN movies... referencing previous movies, ignoring the bad ones, and not taking every frame for gospel...
That I could live with. :) This TV show brings new hope in my opinion. At the very LEAST they are giving the fans what they want. A continuation rather then a reboot like Knight Rider 2010 or TKR. What would really seal the deal is an 80's KITT cameo, even if he is just in some sort of foundation museum or something.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JimmyPSHayes
Operative

Post by JimmyPSHayes » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:45 pm

That would be fine with me. Maybe just acknowledging the original series and not the others TV movies and series. After all, MOST of the general public doesn't remember them.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:22 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:I wonder how they'll deal with the death of Devon, since in KR 2000 he was killed by lethal injection by the bad guys.
They could just have it that Devon died of natural causes. Maybe there can be a picture/painting in FLAG Headquarters with a "In memory of Devon Miles..." plaque underneath it. Perhaps the new driver could be given a tour of the Headquarters mansion, see the pic/painting and ask who he was, which would provide a good opportunity for a short, KR history lesson. :D
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:15 pm

You don't log on to a forum for a few weeks and suddenly when you do you find the whole world has changed. Sort of.

So, let me get this straight, having gone over Victor's thread regarding Larson's movie and now this thread about NBC's version. Now, we've got Two Knight Riders, and zero David Hasselhoffs?

And they wonder why they struggle to make good TV Series/movies these days, they can't see the obvious. Hasselhoff doesn't have to have the main role, but having him in it, in my mind, improves the chances of success. He didn't create the show, he didn't produce the show, but he has become a symbol of it.

Hope it succeeds, ofcource.

knightendo_phil
Rookie

Post by knightendo_phil » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:57 pm

There's a rumour floating about the net (rumour mind you!) that they'd like Hasselhoff to play Michael in the pilot as a sort of Wilton Knight role. Hopefully that wouldn't mean him dying of course! Of course, since this is rumour, he may just appear later in the show. Like Battlestar brought back original cast in different roles, since this is a very promising sequel, maybe we could see original cast back in their former roles? What you think...?

Remember, Hasselhoff has his own sitcom project in the works.
"I got better things to do tonight than die."

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:54 pm

I think there's absolutely zero chance of seeing any of the original cast (bar Hasselhoff) returning regularly. Maybe for one-off guest appearance at an episode, if it does succeed and becomes a series.

I've no idea regarding Hasselhoff's sitcom, haven't actually heard of it, but there should surely be a way to combine both. I can't see him passing up on a good opportunity to return to Knight Rider. If those two new attempts fail, there won't be any more.

Mind you, I hope they don't go that silly TKR route. Some guy, not really built exactly like Hasselhoff, saying "I'm Michael Knight. Or at least I was". They didn't deserve a second season after that.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:32 pm

Amir wrote:I think there's absolutely zero chance of seeing any of the original cast (bar Hasselhoff) returning regularly. Maybe for one-off guest appearance at an episode, if it does succeed and becomes a series.
Well, Edward Mulhare passed away in 1997; Patricia McPherson has seemingly retired from acting to pursue her efforts in the preservation of the Ballona Wetlands; and Peter Parros had a role on a soap opera, but I believe he'd be the most likely to be available. And I haven't heard much about Rebecca Holden, so who knows? Having RC3 return is the best bet.
Amir wrote:I've no idea regarding Hasselhoff's sitcom, haven't actually heard of it, but there should surely be a way to combine both. I can't see him passing up on a good opportunity to return to Knight Rider. If those two new attempts fail, there won't be any more.
I can't, either. Hasselhoff's been very passionate about trying to get a new form of Knight Rider off the ground for years now. Even the fact that he doesn't own any of the rights whatsoever hasn't seemed to stop his efforts. I think it sounds like bad timing that he has another upcoming project around the same time NBC Universal is FINALLY putting a new show together. But the role of Michael Knight in any new incarnation seems like it would have been relegated to a cameo or a Wilton Knight/Devon Miles sort of role, regardless, due to The Hoff getting up there in age.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:21 am

LadyV2000 wrote:Interesting. It's also a relief to hear that, at according to the script, KITT won't turn into a robot, but shapeshift. I actually find that ability pretty cool. :D I also like the fact that KITT will have even more of a role in the show. The only thing that has me a little nervous is KITT being "cold" but charming. I hope they don't make him too computer-like.
My dream, realized.

Now that I'm getting back into my creative writing, the similarities are going to be...frustrating. In my version, the Knight Industries Two Thousand will create the Knight Industries Three Thousand. Amidst a great deal of design changes will be this morphing metal that gives the Three Thousand a certain capacity to change it's shape. Maybe not so far as a complex robot, but it would create the ability for a more "all terrain" vehicle. This liquid metal also contains an alteration of the MBS that both improves upon the strength and never quite hardens, no matter how many times the matter flexes. The way I envisioned it was that KITT created the technology and the Foundation never did quite figure it all out. The closest imitation would be seen in the later Team Knight Rider's twin bike-to-car vehicle. And, yes. The morphing ability could include plane-like wings or foils or fins for improvements to the turbine ports for limited flight and water modes.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:30 am

I believe some people wish to have KITT somewhat like the SpyHunter vehicle. That isn't what KITT was though and would ruin the integrity of what KITT actually is. As oppose to camaflouge, that is very interesting because it reminds me of this other capabilities such as the voice changes, computer hacking, etc.

Let's see what this show brings us! I believe we can have the show and movie coincide without those intefering, although some may be confused and think both are the same directors and such.

BTW When is it coming out, it said this season, do they mean before Christmas?

Thanks! :D