Calling all convention organisers - need advice please

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Calling all convention organisers - need advice please

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:28 pm

Could any of the convention organisers tell me what you have done in the past, and how much it takes to organise one, fund it, actually have it, and promote it, as I'm trying to get one set-up for "Airwolf".

How many attendees have been at these conventions, and who and how many special guests have you had thus so far?

Would appreciate any and all feedback, advice, info, and expertise.

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:50 am

Anybody please? I know this isn't about "KNIGHT RIDER", but I've noticed you's have had some pretty successful conventions.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:59 pm

"Convention" is a very broad word. I would start by thinking in terms of a "gathering". Knight Rider gatherings have ranged from 3 or 4 people casually meeting some afternoon to compare replicas, to weekend events like Knight Nationals with dozens of people, to Germany's Knight Con with several hundred people. Knight Nationals was a "registration only" event; Knight Con, last year's Knights of The West Coast event in Saugus, and this September's event at Universal are more public. They were/will be held in places with lots of people so you can have thousands of people walking by.

The first thing you should do is figure out how big your realistic fanbase is, and how far people are willing to travel. If you can't come up with a good estimate, a nice safety net is to schedule some sort of event in conjuction with an existing sci-fi or TV convention. Find a sci-fi event in your area, and then you can possibly rent a room in the hotel dedicated to Airwolf. Or just arrange to meet other Airwolf fans and go out for dinner and watch some episodes in someone's hotel room.

You can scale up or down to any size depending on interest level within the fandom, and hopefully each year it grows a little bit.

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:43 am

I would be aiming for something like your Knight Nationals and Knight Cons, not just some low-profile, mild gathering.

Have you had experience organising such events Michael?