Knight Rider Archive Updates -- October 2006

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider Archive Updates -- October 2006

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:11 pm

Here they are -- the new updates for the last Quarter of 2006:

NEW - 10/9/2006
GOOD DAY AT WHITE ROCK
- TV Guide Ad
THE TOPAZ CONNECTION
- Behind the scenes photo added
DIAMONDS AREN'T A GIRL'S BEST FRIEND
- Behind the scenes photo added
KNIGHT SONG
- script for two special promo spots advertising this show
MERCHANTS OF DEATH
- By William Schmidt
LOST KNIGHT
- 1st Draft by Robert Foster & James M. Miller
OUT OF THE WOODS
- Shooting script by Gregory S. Dinallo
ARTICLE - TV GUIDE REVIEW
- by Robert MacKenzie
COMIC STRIP - DAMBUSTERS
- Classic 12-page story featured in issues of Look-In Magazine

Stay tuned for some really good material at Christmas!

- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:34 pm

"Stay tuned for some really good material at Christmas! "

o0o0o Can't wait :D
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:52 pm

Great updates, Paul! I just finished reading the first draft of the "Lost Knight" script - I loved the extra twist of Devon having to use Wilton Knight's "Self-Destruct" sequence for KITT if Michael couldn't retrieve him in time - it really added more urgency to the story and I wish it could've made it into the episode.

Also, an FYI - the new promo picture for "Diamonds Aren't a Girl's Best Friend" isn't working for me - says it's a broken link.

Great stuff though!

Joe

firebird1029
Volunteer

Post by firebird1029 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:37 pm

Hi! I love your site!! I was looking the other day for the page where it shows all the potential actors and actresses. For example it showed that Catherine hickland had tried out for the role as Bonnie. Do you still have that up? I couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure it was your site.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:07 am

Great updates, Paul! I just finished reading the first draft of the "Lost Knight" script - I loved the extra twist of Devon having to use Wilton Knight's "Self-Destruct" sequence for KITT if Michael couldn't retrieve him in time - it really added more urgency to the story and I wish it could've made it into the episode.
That's one of the major reasons I love collecting the scripts, and making them available for the fans to read -- the changes. It happens with almost every single show: they go through so many changes in story, in plot, and even in character, and it's my goal to chart the creative process from idea to finished show.

As far as the "Self-Destruct" sequences, I was kinda glad they changed those, since it left Devon seeming too cold. He still prioritises the explosives over K.I.T.T. in the show, but I don't think Devon would ever want K.I.T.T. destroyed... the car was Wilton Knight's baby, after all.
Also, an FYI - the new promo picture for "Diamonds Aren't a Girl's Best Friend" isn't working for me - says it's a broken link.
I became aware of that last night -- I need to rescan them tonight. The files are there, but for some reason ".jpg"s became ".JPG"s, which don't tally with the html.
I was looking the other day for the page where it shows all the potential actors and actresses. For example it showed that Catherine hickland had tried out for the role as Bonnie. Do you still have that up? I couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure it was your site.
Yes, that's my site. Scroll to the bottom of the front page and go to "2005 Updates", and then click on the link "Roads Not Taken - Knight Riders That Do Not Exist". That was one of my favourite original articles!

Glad you all liked them!
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:38 am

Paul, I think I e-mailed you about this, but since you're here, I'll ask you now... have you ever come across a copy of the script for the shorter, presentation version of the pilot episode?

I ask just because I'm wondering if the scenes where Michael and KITT go back to Comtron after breaking out of jail were added later; when Wilson shoots at Michael, the sound effects make it seem like the shots all ricocheted, but Michael's holding his shoulder like he's been shot.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:19 am

Hi JL

The Pilot episode was always conceived as a feature-length show, even the earliest drafts that Glen Larson wrote. The thing with the Presentation was, they isolated the scenes that they thought best showed what Knight Rider was about --

1) Michael Long getting shot in the desert (as played by Hasselhoff in silhouette)
2) Michael's recovery at Wilton's estate -- Dr Miles/Wesley, Wilton and Devon talking about Long and the Knight 2000
3) Michael being introduced to K.I.T.T. by Devon
4) Michael and Devon's initial drive in K.I.T.T., K.I.T.T. steers around the truck
5) Wilton Knight's death scene
6) Michael goes it alone, gets new identity from Devon
7) K.I.T.T. speaks to Michael for the first time; Michael falls asleep at the wheel; Deke and Kyle pull him over
8 ) Michael is in jail, speaks to Devon on the phone
9) K.I.T.T. auto-starts, breaks out of the garage, breaks Michael out of jail (not including the scenes with Charles Napier -- added later)
10) Michael, after being shot, gets in touch with Devon on K.I.T.T.'s microwave mobile line. ("I know we've had some misunderstandings, but I'm not so sure I'm going to be around at the end of this trip")
11) Michael and K.I.T.T. crash through the side of Dolan's trailer
12) Michael and Devon in K.I.T.T. (towed -- "Only you could've put a dent in this car")

That was the Presentation. They filmed that, then production stopped until they got word from Universal/NBC to go ahead. Then they went back and filmed the rest of the pilot -- and then that came in short. Then Glen Larson added the three scenes with the car thieves, which were filmed weeks later when the show was in full production (just after Good Day at White Rock, in fact).

Now, it's possible that Hasselhoff is holding his shoulder as if shot by Wilson, since there could be continuity between those two scenes for the Presentation version (I haven't had a chance to check that shot out, I'm at work as I write this). But, the script at the time the Presentation was shot still had a lot of scenes in between. Still, the way that Pilot was put together is incredible, and a lesson to any screenwriter about putting together a story!
- Paul

firebird1029
Volunteer

Post by firebird1029 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:33 pm

I was looking the other day for the page where it shows all the potential actors and actresses. For example it showed that Catherine hickland had tried out for the role as Bonnie. Do you still have that up? I couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure it was your site.
Yes, that's my site. Scroll to the bottom of the front page and go to "2005 Updates", and then click on the link "Roads Not Taken - Knight Riders That Do Not Exist". That was one of my favourite original articles!

Glad you all liked them![/quote]

Thanks! I found it again!

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:48 am

Fixed yesterday!
- Paul

sophos77
Rookie

Post by sophos77 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:47 pm

Very good updates! :wink:

Great work Paul!
Well done! :D