Knight rider and Team knight rider

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

nbcviper
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight rider and Team knight rider

Post by nbcviper » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:07 pm

I was just wondering whats everyones views on Team Knight rider? Also what storylines are you're favorites in the original Knight rider?
the day after tomorrow, NBCVIPER

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:34 pm

I think that TKR could have worked better as a show in its own right rather than trying to scrounge off the good name of KR. Perhaps ther was more hype about it meanig more disappointment

Also, Michael seemed much more grown up and mature enough to tackle criminals. In TKR, they were a bunch of kids in comparison. It just seemed more shallow.

Also, the vrhicles didn't seem as "human" as KITT

If they were to reshow some episodes, I may tune in to give it a second chance.

nbcviper
Rookie

Post by nbcviper » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:36 pm

Yeah I totally agree, I did like KRO but after seeing kitt vs Karr I found KRO just stupid. I found TKR "stole" things from knight rider and also made KR look like a show for kids when well its not. I liked Erica and trek, Erica was well super sexy and trek was cool. I always hated kyle because he had the un-needed arrogance, and the other one (can't remember her name) I never cared for she seemed like she thought she could do it all??? Knight rider had class, and it was witty in a good sense. Knight rider always had that everything must end with a happy ending, if you watch a tv series called stingray its not the case. Stingray had realistic qualitys and Knight rider could have been a little more realistic but, all in all it was good fun. Lost Knight has to be my favorite episode well because michael had to do without kitt, and kitt had a 14 year old behind the wheel and I always wished that would have been me in that driver seat but, now you can make your own kitt conversions. Theres even an electronics store in the town where I live called "Kitts electric" and I remember going in there and asking if Kitt was there when I was young and the guy saying "Sorry kid, but hey have a poster" I didn't look at it till I got home then when I did sure enough it was a poster of Michael and Kitt and it saying "Knight rider" at the bottom. I looked at it for hours and wondered why he had a poster of Knight rider in Kitts electic and no Kitt??

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:25 am

Wizster wrote:I think that TKR could have worked better as a show in its own right rather than trying to scrounge off the good name of KR. Perhaps ther was more hype about it meanig more disappointment

Also, Michael seemed much more grown up and mature enough to tackle criminals. In TKR, they were a bunch of kids in comparison. It just seemed more shallow.

I dunno about the vehicles not being as human as KITT remark. If anything they were too human. KITT rarely showed emotion. The TKR vehicles were constantly showing humanistic traits.....Beast being moody etc.

The drivers themselves. Again there were plausible reasons why they were as young as they were. Micheal himself was pretty young when he started KR.

Although I still prefer KR, there is very little reason why TKR couldn't have worked. I think it needed alittle more time to find its audience, its format and style.

nbcviper, what do you mean "KRO just stupid". There was enough logical back story to make the KRO storyline work. The only thing irregular was the way KRO was destroyed. By the way, KR format was intended to by the way it was so the whole family could enjoy. It would probably explain why Stingray was short-lived. Could you please stay on topic. I hate being the devils advocate but its not like TKR was rubbish it just needing alittle fine tuning. All shows do but TKR never got a chance to learn.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:48 am

Plus the fact they used non-GM cars ... don't even want to mention the brand ... :P

:kittspin:

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:24 am

Think thats GM's fault. I'd guess that Ford offered the vehicles for free or came to a better arrangement so Universal would keep costs down. Thats how most of these type of automobile arrangements are made. I believe BMW offered money and prototype cars to James Bond to take them away from Astin Martin.

Sarfraz

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:36 pm

sarfraz wrote:
Wizster wrote:I think that TKR could have worked better as a show in its own right rather than trying to scrounge off the good name of KR. Perhaps ther was more hype about it meanig more disappointment

I dunno about the vehicles not being as human as KITT remark. If anything they were too human. KITT rarely showed emotion. The TKR vehicles were constantly showing humanistic traits.....Beast being moody etc.

The drivers themselves. Again there were plausible reasons why they were as young as they were. Micheal himself was pretty young when he started KR.

Although I still prefer KR, there is very little reason why TKR couldn't have worked. I think it needed alittle more time to find its audience, its format and style.

nbcviper, what do you mean "KRO just stupid". There was enough logical back story to make the KRO storyline work. The only thing irregular was the way KRO was destroyed. By the way, KR format was intended to by the way it was so the whole family could enjoy. It would probably explain why Stingray was short-lived. Could you please stay on topic. I hate being the devils advocate but its not like TKR was rubbish it just needing alittle fine tuning. All shows do but TKR never got a chance to learn.

Sarfraz
Yeah, I found it a little difficult to ecplain myself properly.
By the human remark, it was more that I didn't believe those cars were talking but instead being voiced by actors (as obviously they were). Perhaps it was because they display too much human traits for me to accept for the voice to be coming from a car, if you can get what I mean by that.

Basically, where I can accept KITT is talking, it just feels obvious that those vehicles are being voiced hy actors.

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:12 pm

I liked the K.R.O. episode. I think it would have been interesting to see Janzen and KRO on a few missions (as KRO infected his drivers and they both became nuts). Sort of like going from KITT/Michael to a more KARResque personality.

Everything to Fear, SkyOne, Angels in Chains, Legion of Doom

The Magnificent TKR was funny when Dante got transplanted int oa rental car. Not the most plasuable thing, but still funny!

People bash TKR...but the studios never gave it a chance. TKR aired at 5pm on Saturday nights. Not the best time for a new show to try and make it (at least in MN) Also, the episodes were aired out of order. This was most noticable by the motorcycles/combo car switching from its original design to the newer yellow design and back to the opriginal design the next episode.

krfan1

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:33 pm

Wizster wrote:Yeah, I found it a little difficult to ecplain myself properly. By the human remark, it was more that I didn't believe those cars were talking but instead being voiced by actors (as obviously they were). Perhaps it was because they display too much human traits for me to accept for the voice to be coming from a car, if you can get what I mean by that.

Basically, where I can accept KITT is talking, it just feels obvious that those vehicles are being voiced hy actors.
If you can believe that in 1982 FLAG had somehow developed an AI of KITT's capabilities, surely the 10 years of development would come to the sort of humanistic traits shown by the TKR cars. Remember they were designed more specifcally to react to the drivers characteristics. Its possible. I think the major issue was that the cars didn't have mouths so to speak. Atleast with KITT there was a voicebox but I don't remember such in a thing for the TKR cars. This would have helped associate the voice with the car more than a spinning CGI of the car!

Sarfraz

sophos77
Rookie

Re: Knight rider and Team knight rider

Post by sophos77 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:03 pm

nbcviper wrote:I was just wondering whats everyones views on Team Knight rider? Also what storylines are you're favorites in the original Knight rider?
Generally, I like this show.
However, I believe that the vehicles should have been designed in a better way in order to be closer to the model of 'KITT'.

Only the red car that Jenny drives, called 'Domino', seems to be closer to this model.
Actually, I like very much the vehicle 'Domino' ! :wink:

Some episodes are very good. For instance, I really like the 'Spy Girls' episode, I find it very cool! :)
Also the last episode 'Legion of Doom' is very interesting and mysterious . It mainly refers to KITT and Michael Knight.

Some of my favourite episodes from Classic Knight Rider are: Knight of the Phoenix, Goliath, Mouth of the Snake, Knights of the Fast Lane, KITT vs KARR, Knight in Disgrace, KITTNAP, The Scent of Roses ...

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:16 pm

sarfraz wrote:
Wizster wrote:Yeah, I found it a little difficult to ecplain myself properly. By the human remark, it was more that I didn't believe those cars were talking but instead being voiced by actors (as obviously they were). Perhaps it was because they display too much human traits for me to accept for the voice to be coming from a car, if you can get what I mean by that.

If you can believe that in 1982 FLAG had somehow developed an AI of KITT's capabilities, surely the 10 years of development would come to the sort of humanistic traits shown by the TKR cars. Remember they were designed more specifcally to react to the drivers characteristics. Its possible. I think the major issue was that the cars didn't have mouths so to speak. Atleast with KITT there was a voicebox but I don't remember such in a thing for the TKR cars. This would have helped associate the voice with the car more than a spinning CGI of the car!

Sarfraz
Well, you've hit it on the head. They don't appear to show their emotion that their voices suggest. I understand in 10 years, the AI will improve, but the vehicles don't show this. I can't remember that much about it now, but without a voicebox/scanner that's probably the missing link.

nbcviper
Rookie

Post by nbcviper » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:17 pm

I found some episodes could have been better, I found alot of it was jumped into. If you watch Goliath you'll see that every detail was in there... well almost everything detail (the dice :? ). Kitts personality was A PERSONALITY, the cars from TKR I found had a lame and to 'trying to sound close to kr' personality. Kitt had that class and that look at me but, don't get touchy, he had this im better than anyone else even if they beat me type of thing and i always thought that ruled! TKR the cars were way to vunerable and they were trucks and cars AND motorcycles?? :roll:

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:48 pm

In my mind, TKR will forever be the fan fiction series that got a budget and air time. So many interpretations from the original. So many wanna-be's in it. Many things were forced that probably looked better on paper. But, on the issue of the AI's being too much like Human personalities...they were meant to be. Some line in one episode sheds light on how the car's AI was some sort of personality derived from a brain scan on each team member. And, it shows throughout. I mean...come on. If these AI's were professionally built like KITT was, how the deuce would Plato have ever been approved???

And, I do agree that if TKR had a chance at a second season, they might have had a much better season. Just the mere fact that the final few episodes showed an effort to improve the overwise dull Fords and motorcycles gave hope of this.

alexmain_za
Recruit

Post by alexmain_za » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:55 am

I have all the TKR episodes and watch one or two from time to time, but other than using "Knight Rider" in the name and refering to Devon/Michael/KITT, the show doesn't really hold any elements of the original show, sure there's talking cars etc, but it just not Knight Rider. Even refering to the Team as Team Knight Rider or TKR is silly, nobody ever mentioned that Michael Knight was the Knight Rider (that was the name of the show and the only time it was mentioned was in the narration of the closing credits for the first season ..."Michael Knight a lone crusader in a dangerous world, the world of the Knight Rider".).
It's time to bring back "Knight Rider"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:12 pm

I think KITT sounded pretty human. More often than not the emotion of annoyance than anything else. :lol: