The "Evade" function

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The "Evade" function

Post by HungarianKnight » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:59 am

This function is bugging me for years. To evade something means to aviod obstacles. Yet as the kid presses the button, Kitt starts to spin in circles. Was this an error? Or maybe the function's logical analysis went fubar after it had NO obstacles to evade (they were travelling on a flat plain)?

What do you think, people?

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:50 pm

I always thought the "Evade" function was totaly unnecercery

Kitt would automatically avoid obstacles etc without the need to press a button.

don't see the point in it at all!

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:00 pm

Maybe it was "evade" as in to dodge and then hide as if escaping from them, "Evading" them
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:03 pm

Spinning in circles would have evaded the forklift in Junk Yard Dog.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:45 pm

I don't think it was completley necessery. The driver is likely to do the same thing. But if the driver is not able to do that or wants to get out of there and evade them they could press the button.

What bugs me is that doug presses pursuit when on the road wouldn't that disengage the auto-cruise? KITT did pursuit mode himself once when he was driving so is there an auto-pursuit? I actually think I heard michael say something in the pilot when they are on the race track saying "i will put you into auto-pursuit you figure out the rest"
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:15 am

i always thought they meant like if your being surrounded by cops or something on a dirt road if you spun in circles and kicked up dust and then could sneak away, ala dukes of hazzard style

frank_knight
Recruit

Post by frank_knight » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:33 am

I think they only used the EVADE button once in the episode where KITT looses his memory. I think its a cool feature in theory. Using it in JYD would'nt have worked because in KITT's defence, the forklift came out of nowhere, so fast, after he had just power slid near the barrels hiding the forklift-sure, he could have detected it, and probably did, but even if he used his EVADE function, he probably still wouldn't have escaped the forklift in time!

Now..where he could have used EVADE and hade it help, would have been Goliath, or Juggernuat...unless of course the initial blow to him by the battering ram also messed up the EVADE funtion. I think it could have helped in Goliath.
"I am the voice of Knight Industries Two Thousands, microprocessor.... K.I.T.T. for easy reference, KITT if you prefer."

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:00 pm

when the juggernaut hit him he was "virtually defenseless" so I would guess the evade function wouldn't work
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:06 am

To me, Evade seemed like nothing more then a short cut key. If you wanted to go faster...step on the accellerator and/or press Turbo...any one of those Turbo buttons. Smoke Screen and turning the wheel works just fine for what Evade seemed to do.

Here's my take on this...

A) There is the pilot. The driver who is in charge. Said pilot can use the standard operating controls to speed up, slow down and steer the K-2000 around.

B) We have the mind of the K-2000, K.I.T.T., who resides inside a black box that can be removed from the K-2000. Kitt can think, speak and drive the K-2000.

C) We also have all the electronics aboard the K-2000 that do independant and specific processes for the many things the car can do. These electronics can not think...they just react to preprogramming and input/output.

I presume that this Evade button was hardwired into the "C" portion of the K-2000. By pressing, it would run a sort of small program that would perform what we saw it doing, that one time. If I am right, that function is not only nearly pointless...but, downright dangerous. As, it would denote the potential to remove vital control away from both the driver AND onboard AI to a dumb set of instructions that are probably not governing conditions on what to do. (Though, I'm sure that since Turbo Boost always knew when to jump and when to leap...or even make a super stop...upon one single press of a button, that this function would also have an infinite level of intelligence built in.)

As far as Pursuit Mode goes...I always thought of it as a slightly more advanced version of a regular car that has the turbo feature built in to it. When the car needs more get-up-and-go, this turbo light would come on in the dash, the turbo would wind up and the car would go faster. Same notion in KITT. Pursuit mode is active and the engine transfers more power to the turbine motor and stuff for more speed. Probably a few other things like bringing all sensors on-line and improved breaking power happen as well. Perhaps, a few buttons change functions, or something.