just noticed a MAJOR glitch in the ERTL KITT 1:18 die cast

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

just noticed a MAJOR glitch in the ERTL KITT 1:18 die cast

Post by pdennis93 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:47 pm

i was just looking at my ERTL Kitt, which ive had for a year or so and noticed something i hadnt ever noticed,

He has a clutch pedal?!?!?!?!

has anyone else ever noticed this, its not like a small E brake pedal or anything, its the same size as the brake pedal, therefore its a clutch...

WTF?

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by LuvKITT » Tue May 23, 2006 8:24 pm

Yep, several people had noticed the clutch pedal. I noticed it when I got mine too because I inspect things really close. I was like...what is the world is that doing there?

Major Ursa
Operative

Post by Major Ursa » Tue May 23, 2006 9:00 pm

I do believe that the real KITT had an automatic transmission.
"Oh I just went to any Pontiac dealer and asked for the Trans Am with the James Bond option package." - Micro Knutt, Knutt Rider(A Mad Magazine parody of Knight Rider)

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue May 23, 2006 9:50 pm

That clutch pedal is made out of plastic and can be easily removed with a sharp exacto knife. An easy fix.

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Wed May 24, 2006 1:50 am

We could say it was a foot rest I bet normal trans am's have them
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Wed May 24, 2006 1:54 pm

To be honest that ain't a major glitch as one slice with a sharp knife and its all over.

The major glitch is the tailgate: a massive metal frame around the tailgate glass, then another black band around smoked tailgate glass. Where ever did they get this idea from ??

It should be just a plain clear glass, no fat frame or blank band.

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Wed May 24, 2006 7:43 pm

one thing that I noticed is that KITT front nose is a 4th season front nose and the dash is a season 1 & 2 dash.

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Wed May 24, 2006 10:35 pm

is it a 4th season nose?? I was sure KITT had three fog lights at the start of the series even though there was the muscle look at some times covering the lights

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Wed May 24, 2006 10:46 pm

look closely at the nose where the right and left signal lights would be and they are gone the nose is flush with the hood. In seasons 1-3 there is a wider gap between the nose and the hood.

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Thu May 25, 2006 2:34 pm

I heard in was based on a replica, hense the imperfections like orange front lamps on the early models.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Thu May 25, 2006 3:35 pm

Because the nose is flush, I made mine look like the first season nose with turnsignal covers next to the scanner, added peaces of self adhesive clear plastic sticker:

I think the rear hatch has the metal frame for the strength sake because it's made as a opening part. They could've glued the window though on top of the metal frame and black out the edge so it would look like it's glass like in the real car. The thick black edges now are even OUTside of the windows when they should be painted INside to look accurate and the thickness should be about half of what it's now.

I'm glad ertl made this model but still would be nice if some company could produce 100% accurate KITT model.

-KITTfan-

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Thu May 25, 2006 5:36 pm

the fact that the turn signals aren't there is how kitt is supposed to be they didn't always have the time to remove them so it looks like they have lifted the hood up a bit.
Look at the start of Knight Rider that was made in S1 its smooth

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:39 am

Here's few improvements I've made to my KITT model lately. Since the paint was damaged because of the accident I had with my model, I took the model apart to get easy access to the parts. Also because I intend to repair the scratched paint it's easier to do when the model is taken apart.
Here's the pics of my alterations:
First the thing that started this thread, the clutchpedal. I intend to paint the black holder part in brown later:
Then the rear window, I removed the black painted edge with Humbrol thinner and cotton sticks. The tinner leaves foggy marks to the surface but polishing made it smooth and shiny again:
Made also the doorpanels more accurate, I painted the surrounding areas black and added the chrome L-trim from Bare Metal Foil:
To the dash I made the top countdown from peace of plastic and the "lights" to it & voicebox from stickers. I've straighten the first top countdown light already after this pic was taken ;)

Still going to do more, I intend to cut the foglights openings as one wide opening per side, paint the T-tops the outer edge black from inside as per real TA T-tops, the tan trims in the door openings, maybe I'll paint even the interior sail & overhead panels in tan.

-KITTfan-

Juggernaut30
Rookie

Post by Juggernaut30 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:14 pm

Great details!!!!! :shock:

I really like the chrome look in the doorpanels!!

How about some LED`s in the dashboard or overhead console?? :D

Markus