RC gets his own Pod button???

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

RC gets his own Pod button???

Post by Joe Huth » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:18 am

In season 3/4 of the series, anytime we (the viewers) see buttons on KITT's switch pods that aren't being used (such as in the background when other functions are being used), they are 99% of the time functions we have seen used on the series (unlike season 1/2, where background buttons such as "6DLA" and "7RM" were never used). Well, when watching "Redemption of a Champion", I noticed a button called "R.C.'s". Perhaps when that is pressed, it calls RC in case Michael has any questions as to what functions RC installed when he rebuilt KITT?? :) Take a look:

I've also noticed "Auto Door Left" and "Auto Door Right" on the pod units, both of which shouldn't be there (they have their own panel, as seen many times throughout the series.

Just thought I'd share.
Joe

Reissuleipa
Rookie

Post by Reissuleipa » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:35 am

Or maybe R.C.'s mean Radio Controllers... as RC sometimes means Radio Controlled

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:31 pm

I noticed that the ID didn't have Michael's signature on it, just a blank spot for a signature. And once laminated, how would he be able to sign it? :)

Do you have any close-ups of the "6DLA" and "7RM" buttons? Because 6DLA might be GDLA (Graphics Display something or other) and 7RM might be TRM which could be Trim or Terminate or something?

If the image isn't clear, sometimes numbers can look like letters and vice versa. For example, I noticed that the "R" in "Auto Cruise" LOOKED backwards (though it actually wasn't) in KITT vs. KARR when KARR went into Auto Cruise when John got out, shocked that KARR could talk.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:34 pm

No, they are definately numbers:

Joe

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:01 pm

That's a great find. I'm suspecting that RC could have included that little button himself in "Knight Of the Juggernaut" when he and his crew helped rebuild K.I.T.T. (along with the "C" button). Maybe it's a dummy button and he put it there as sort of a way of tagging his auto work on the car? I can't imagine what other purpose that would serve as RC never had any comlink or personal number at the Foundation to be contacted...
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:19 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:I noticed that the ID didn't have Michael's signature on it, just a blank spot for a signature. And once laminated, how would he be able to sign it? :)
There actually is a signature written on the card, only it's pretty light and difficult to see. Almost overlooked it myself. :wink:

But where did that picture of Michael come from? Did K.I.T.T. quickly snap it then and there or does he have multiple pictures of Michael posing on his database?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:10 pm

Joe - Picture is broken, unfortunately. :( But I'll take your word for it. :) Might be some kind of code thing, who knows.

Lost Knight - Oh yeah, NOW I think I can barely make out Michael's signature. :) Isn't that the same pic they used for his "new" driver license?

RC... hmm... "Return Convertable" as to put it back to normal T-Top mode? But that doesn't explain the 's.

Or maybe it's a button to allow RC access to KITT's system areas (restricted use) so he doesn't need Bonnie's permission all the time?

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:51 pm

Found another one...you can just barely make it out, but in this pic, there's a Pod button marked "Super Pursuit" (as opposed to the special button panel we see on the show). Very interesting:

Joe

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:52 pm

Joe Huth wrote:Found another one...you can just barely make it out, but in this pic, there's a Pod button marked "Super Pursuit" (as opposed to the special button panel we see on the show). Very interesting:
Yes, but even more interesting is the fact that the "R.C.'s" button now says "Zoom In" in this picture! What the heck?

My guess is that we're swapping back and forth between the actual dashboard in the Hero Car and the replica mock up dashboard used for close-ups. That "Super Pursuit" button was probably included on there before the sliding panel concept was conceived, perhaps?

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:32 am

All the close-up shots of the dash were from the studio mock-up, never the hero car. It was a case of the mock-up dash being constantly modified (as K.I.T.T. himself was). In addition to the changing buttons, the "look" of his Voice Module also changes throughout the season.

For some reason, "Normal Cruise" becomes plain "Normal" in Season Four.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:48 am

in the picture with the 7LRM buttons and 1/2 pods does anybody have any idea what PENG is????
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:52 am

Power On Engine?

Just a guess though.

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:35 am

I read that "peng" is a slang word for high quality marijuana. Maybe kitt was smoking weed!

Major Ursa
Operative

Post by Major Ursa » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:20 am

Maybe the designers of the season 4 dashboard wanted to hevs some fun with the cast, crew, and audience. :lol:
"Oh I just went to any Pontiac dealer and asked for the Trans Am with the James Bond option package." - Micro Knutt, Knutt Rider(A Mad Magazine parody of Knight Rider)

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:59 am

In an interview with Starlog magazine in 1984, producer Bernadette Joyce had this to say about the dash:

"If we were to state everything that K.I.T.T. can and can't do, it would severely limit what the writers could do in future episodes. Also, if we labeled every switch with a function, you can bet some fan would notice if we ever changed anything."

They did change things -- quite often -- and of course, we did notice.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:32 am

Lost Knight wrote: Yes, but even more interesting is the fact that the "R.C.'s" button now says "Zoom In" in this picture! What the heck?
Look very very closely in the picture. You can tell that the Zoom In was written on a sticker and pasted over R.C.'s

-Scott

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:47 pm

Scott Kirkessner wrote:Look very very closely in the picture. You can tell that the Zoom In was written on a sticker and pasted over R.C.'s

-Scott
You're right...very odd indeed.
Last edited by Lost Knight on Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:51 pm

Knight Rider Archive wrote:All the close-up shots of the dash were from the studio mock-up, never the hero car. It was a case of the mock-up dash being constantly modified (as K.I.T.T. himself was). In addition to the changing buttons, the "look" of his Voice Module also changes throughout the season.

For some reason, "Normal Cruise" becomes plain "Normal" in Season Four.
Yes, I've also noticed that myself. I personally like it better simply saying "Normal," but it didn't make sense for continuity purposes for the "Cruise" to disappear without explanation. If it was that way after K.I.T.T. was rebuilt in the premiere, it'd make more sense to me. However, I'm pretty sure that the Hero Car's modulator always said "Normal Cruise" in Season 4, only all we ever saw were close-ups of the replica dashboard. In "Killer K.I.T.T.," for example, I noticed that it was still there in particular shots.

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit

Post by MIKEMAC » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:20 pm

another thing I noticed, RC wasn't hired to drive the semi as far as I know of, if he was, who drove it for the past 3 seasons, itself right? As we know in "The Wrong Crowd" that it has auto pilot so it can drive itself, and did you notice that David looked funny once he got in the semi, I was thinking "garth" but he didn't have the scary factor without the look and mustage, thought that sceen was funny, anyways, love Rc and to bad he didn't get more "action" in season 4. :(
**true happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth**
Please check out my Knight Rider site at
http://www.knightriderforever.tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;