To Round Robin or Not To Round Robin

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Should this board have a fan fiction round robin?

Yes, I would participate
45%
Yes, I don't mind
25%
No, it is a waste of board space and time
30%

Total votes: 20

TT Snim
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by TT Snim » Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:04 pm

Hay, can one person write a small part of a story on the board, and then some one else reply and add to that part of the story? If it got to big one could remove most of it, leaving the tail end for further use, and place it on a web page.
Or is this not alowed?

By the way: I merged the two topics, just for a little bit more convenience. - KI

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:31 pm

A round robin? We'd definitely have to ask Neil if the board's memory and bandwidth could handle such a thing. I would be willing to host it if it got too large, but as it is, we already have a 1,000 word limit on fic stories.

We also have to ask the question if everybody else would like to see a round robin on the board. As it is, we have people complaining about threads that are 2 pages long.

But if we are not allowed such a thing, there is a yahoo group for fan fic, that I think allows such things: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knight_writers/

We'll see.

KI

TT Snim
Operative

Post by TT Snim » Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:46 pm

If it can be alowed it would be a good idea to very first declair what rating the story will be. The first author will say keep this PG or G, so that every one will know what to expect. Also one could declair a theam. This storry must only have KR, or this is team KR, or this should follow the movie. Or even if it is to be a cross over and from what show. And if nothing is declaired then it up to each of us.

(See, I can think sencibly)
:roll: :roll:

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:08 pm

While I am waiting for Neil to come on and give me the details of what he thinks about this board hosting a round robin, (which was brought up by another member of the board) I want to know what you, the board members think about this.

Basically what it would entitle is each author would submit a chunk of story into the thread. The thread is likely going to end up long, and fairly lengthy. I am asking you, the people who frequent this board if you would mind seeing this on the board.

Now, there is no guarantee that we can have one, that is up to the board admin to see how badly it will tax the board systems, once again, I would just like to know how you all feel about it.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:25 pm

I doubt I'd participate, but I say try it. If it becomes a problem, it can always be stopped.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:26 am

It's funny that you bring this up KI. I was just thinking to myself the other day how this would be a neat concept. Basicly I was thinking of trying my hand at writeing a fanfic myself, but that I didn't think I could find the time to write it. I have the idea, but it would take a long time to to finish. Then I thought that it would be cool if someone started one in a thread, and then have everyone write in their own part. It would be cool to see what interesting turns it would take.

So, yes I think it's a great idea. And I would love to participate.

KOSI
Recruit

Post by KOSI » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:08 am

Brilliant, I rather like the idea, reminds me of the board fics over at the Suburban Jungle backup board... Heck, if an EZBoard webboard can do it, I'm sure a PHP board can pull it off. ^_^

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:50 am

I really don't have to many objections, because there is always the lock thread option. I just am weary of people getting upset about the direction that someone took, or not being happy about the writing quality of someones post, or the length, etc. There is just a ton of variables that make me hesitant. But if we all agree to not be angered by any of the above, I would be more comfortable with the idea.

How would we even work out the story? You don't know that someone is working on a post until the post is posted. 3 people could be working on the same section and their time would be wasted. Would we post in the thread to be sort of check outs for whos turn it will be and then the post will be edited once their section is completed?

do we comment about the success of the thread in a different thread to keep the story moving quickly?

just thoughts, perhaps its something to test on yahoo before here. dunno...

Tomy
Recruit

Post by Tomy » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:34 am

neps wrote: How would we even work out the story? You don't know that someone is working on a post until the post is posted. 3 people could be working on the same section and their time would be wasted. Would we post in the thread to be sort of check outs for whos turn it will be and then the post will be edited once their section is completed?
We had one going on the KR fanfic list about a year ago. It's archived on my site. The way we set it up is, everyone who wanted to participate emailed into the list, and from there, I set up a list of people (in the order that they mailed in confirming they wanted to write). Each person had a designated time to write their section (we didn't set any limits on size and being beta'ing it was up to the writer) but it was limited to the rating of PG13, and had to be canon. The only problem we had was people taking longer than their allotted time to write a section.

If anyone is interested, you can find the old RR here:
http://knightfic.8m.net/roundrobin.html

And if anyone wants to finish ours, please let me know :oops:

And you're more than welcome to post yours to our knight_writers list :D

hugs
tomy

TT Snim
Operative

Post by TT Snim » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:27 pm

neps wrote:I really don't have to many objections, because there is always the lock thread option. I just am weary of people getting upset about the direction that someone took, or not being happy about the writing quality of someones post, or the length, etc. There is just a ton of variables that make me hesitant. But if we all agree to not be angered by any of the above, I would be more comfortable with the idea.

How would we even work out the story? You don't know that someone is working on a post until the post is posted. 3 people could be working on the same section and their time would be wasted. Would we post in the thread to be sort of check outs for whos turn it will be and then the post will be edited once their section is completed?

do we comment about the success of the thread in a different thread to keep the story moving quickly?

I agree here, what ever happens it should be done with realistic rules and regulations. About the multiple parts to the story it would be a good idea to have the ability to arainge the stories continuem as if it were a chose your own adventure. If they are placed on a web page one could have at the end of a section the link to each spin off.

It could also be posible to "Popcorn pass" the story to some one else. But this may not work as well. As to the lenght of the story it would be fair to ask that the added on parts be kept to a pre specified leingh.

There is another web board where this is round robin situation ocurs.
Please see for your self...

http://pub56.ezboard.com/bfoxprints

And no, saddly I am not Cheesey Goddes... Though I do like her style! :D

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:55 pm

Okay, I think I should speak up here. This round robin sounds like a completely terrible idea, and thats why I was the first person who voted no.

While it may be something fun that reminds us from our third grade days, most of us are semi-professionals at KR writing and it could cause problems with all of us if someone doesn't like how someone added on to their scene, or if someone doesn't like the way someone right.

It sounds like potential for serious problems and drama.

-Scott

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:34 pm

I don't think a round robin on this story board is a very good idea. Some of the members here are not mature enough to handle handing over a story to another writer and letting it go. While an experienced fic writier has a better ability to detach themselves from their work (though that by no means applies to everybody). I think it's best that this matter be taken to a fic list, or one set up for it. Don't do it here.
If it must be done, however, it would be better to have a list of authors set up for it in an order, rather than people just joining in at random. It would prevent one hell of a mess.

Rusti
[Rus] What makes you think you've got what it takes to tame me anyway?
[Beast] ~sly naughty grin~ Experienced handling.

--From RP
DevArt: http://rusti-knight.deviantart.com

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:27 pm

I dunno...if done in good clean fun, i dont think it would cause too many problems. I think we should give it a shot...worse comes to worse, it doesn't work out and we end it.

No harm done in trying it out. Dunno thats my suggestion.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:40 pm

I do have to encourage you to listen to some of the authors who have made their statements. Many of them have been through round robins before, in this community, and they know what this community is capable of.

KI

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:05 pm

knightimmortal wrote:I do have to encourage you to listen to some of the authors who have made their statements. Many of them have been through round robins before, in this community, and they know what this community is capable of.

KI
I agree that that is a justified concern. But lets give the newbies such as myself a chance. People come and people go, and with that brings change in collective ideas. The outcome this time around could be different, who knows. May be worse. But how are we to know if we don't try.

Just a thought..

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:38 pm

Tomy wrote:
We had one going on the KR fanfic list about a year ago.

If anyone is interested, you can find the old RR here:
http://knightfic.8m.net/roundrobin.html

And you're more than welcome to post yours to our knight_writers list :D

tomy
And we had loads of fun. Despite the fact that we never. quite. finished. it. :D It was good to work with people to get a project done, even if it wasn't what each of us would have done individually.

But if its not what the board wants, maybe you guys should join the list or form a new one especially for it.

Tomy
Recruit

Post by Tomy » Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:23 am

I've been through a few round robins now, and for the most part, they were loads of fun (though nerve wracking when you have no idea how to proceed :wink: )
I believe this community deserves more credit. A round robin is a great way to unite the fanfic sector.

If things get out of hand (which I have yet to see happen during a rr) then The Powers That Be can shut it down easily enough.

There hasn't been much fanfic posted of late, and this may be a way to wake the muses. :P

just my two cents on the matter
hugs
tomy
http://knightfic.8m.net

TT Snim
Operative

Post by TT Snim » Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:22 pm

ARG! Medical tape is ITCHY SCRATCHY!!! (Gnaws on skin) Word to the wise, don't let docs tape any thing to you! :x

Any way... Why not give the whole round robin a test run of two weeks? If it fails shut it down, if it booms keep it open. If nothing happens, keep it open a bit longer.

Tomy
Recruit

Let's get this show on the road

Post by Tomy » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:44 pm

If anyone is interested, KI has asked me to run the rr. I'd like to establish a list of those wanting to write. :D You can either post here, or contact me at brdf@sympatico.ca

I'd also like your opinion on how long we should give each writer to post, and a general length for each section. (I was thinking 1000 words)

hugs
tomy

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:40 pm

People might not be inspired to write until they see the story start to take shape. Do they need to sign up ahead of time or can they join in as the writing bug bites them?

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Tomy
Recruit

Post by Tomy » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:57 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:People might not be inspired to write until they see the story start to take shape. Do they need to sign up ahead of time or can they join in as the writing bug bites them?

Mike
I can add people on as the story evolves. I did it last time and it worked out well. :)

hugs
tomy

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:19 pm

I'm willing to take a stab at it, although, I'd like to be put toward the bottom of the list -- I'll be traveling for work all of February, so it would be a bit hard for me to keep up until I get back.

As far as time and length, I think two weeks would be a reasonable amount of time, as a goal. I sense a few 'reminder' posts in your future Tomy. :-) And as far as length, I think 1000 words is a good guideline, but I wouldn't want people to see it as a hard and fast rule. As long as people understand that they aren't supposed to write the whole story themselves, giving people the freedom to write until they get to a good handoff point seemed to work in the past.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:43 pm

Well, in all fairness, this still has to be approved by the powers that be, as to how this will conform with the constraints of the board. So, I definitely would try to line up, but be prepared to be a little understanding of what constraints may be placed on it.

KI

Tomy
Recruit

Post by Tomy » Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:21 pm

So far, Asp, Vega, KI and Knightshade, have expressed an interest as well. But other than that, no one else has jumped aboard

I was thinking of a range of 100 to 1000 words (maybe topping it off at 500 words due to board constraints?) But we could always link it to the fic list if need be. And I have room on my site to host too.

As for timelines, I wanted something considerably shorter than the two week one we had before - that one didn't seem to work well :? Maybe a few days??

Is anyone else interested, or has this ship sunk?
hugs
Tomy

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:25 pm

Hold on a moment, we are still waiting for the board admin to get back to put his two cents in. Be expecting an email from him, Tomy.

KI