BOOST 2

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Keon
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

BOOST 2

Post by Keon » Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:42 pm

Hey does anyone remember that button from the fourth season marked "Boost 2" what was that used for if it was ever used?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:28 pm

I think it was accidentally used in one episode in place of Turbo Boost. In the days of ole on this board, I believe we theorized that it was like an extension of Turbo Boost.

KI

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:25 pm

I think the button was used to activate the CO2 in one episode. I can't remember which. It might not even have been the CO2 but that's what i think.

I was gonna say it was used in 'Slammin Sammy' where Michael presses it to go zooming down the road away from the cop who was trying to do him for false speeding.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITT431
Recruit

Post by KITT431 » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:39 pm

I believe he it normal 'Turbo Boost.' Remember this was before SPM. 8)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:42 pm

Huh? *robotic voice* Explain in detail, please.

KI

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:58 pm

Boost 2 was never used in the series, only seen while Michael was pressing other buttons. Those were only filler buttons, so if I were to guess, I'd say a stronger (or weaker) form of Turbo Boost.

Joe

K2000kid
Operative

Post by K2000kid » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:34 pm

I wanna say it was used for a speed boost rather than a jump.
Theres no reason for increased volume, I'm scanning your interogitives quite satisfactorilly.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:02 am

Yeah, I think it was just a quick boost in speed, I wanna say like nitrous but Kitt had a "NOS" button too. I remember in some early episodes you see MK hit turbo boost and the next shot is of Kitt driving away at high speed, no jumping or nothing. But, can anyone explain the 3 led lights that show up under the turbo boost button, I believe from season 3 onward. They light up as the button is pressed, usually just the first one. Does this possibly control the "intensity" of the boost. 1 weak, 2 medium, 3 extreme or something. You know, the longer the button is held the longer the boost is "charged" or something causing a more intense or longer boost? Sorry, just always been curious! :roll:
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:12 pm

Ah, yes. The mystery of the Boost 2 button.

As far as I know, this button was never used in the series. It is my theory that this button was some sort of second stage speed increase for use when KITT hit his top speed at "normal" turbo boost land speeds. (Who knows what that figure was suppose to be.) Problem was, JUST WHERE IN THE WORLD COULD KITT EVEN GO THAT FAST??? (Maybe during that desert trip where Michael had to outdrive an airborne jet.) So, if that was it's intended purpose, it's no wonder it never got used.

Another theory of mine is that many of the buttons on the dash could be used for more than just instant systems activation. They could be combined with other button presses as a form of programming. (Which has been used and hinted at several times, like with the 'Rapid Cycle' button.) But, what the Boost 2 button would do in such a program is anyones guess.

I think there was a button marked CO2 that activated/deactivated the CO2 canisters. Seemed like everything short of the override control had a button somewhere on the dash.

As for the multiple lights used in some of the buttons, I can think of three possibilities. 1) Various stages of the button's function, as mentioned. (Week/Strong/Insane) 2) Used as indicators for part of the formentioned programming process. 3) System's condition indicators. (It would be a real bummer if Michael pressed one of the dozens of Turbo Boost buttons, only to be met with an "Out of Boost/System malfunction" LED lighting up.)

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:08 am

A system condition indicator totally makes sense. Maybe it was an attempt to inject a little realism into the dash later on in the shows run. It could also have been a little more eye- wash added to the dash to make it look flashier too.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:27 am

I've wondered the same thing myself. I tend to agree that it was used much in the same way the first "turboboost" button was at times...for a quick burst of speed, since SPM wasn't around yet. Now, moving beyond that, I have to wonder if not it also means the type of "boost" associated with hopped-up engines. Basically, some type of compressed air might be fed into the engine at the touch of that button, thus propelling KITT that much faster. In modern hot-rodding, "boost" applies to both superchargers and turbos, not that "turboboost" necessarily has anything to do with a turbo.

Darknight

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:32 am

Darknight, you need to add a "Boost 2" button to YOUR engine design!

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:44 am

Haha, actually, I just may do that, since I intend to eventually use it for KITT anyway. When I get this project past the compressed air stage, into the "any combustible liquid" stage, I'll need a type of powerful compressor to feed the air into the engine. By the way, a few more details about my engine: It's small, quiet, makes a type of turbine sound(if left uninsulated)and have I mentioned, efficient and powerful? If my calculations are correct, I should only need a 2 speed transmission, at the most, due to its outstanding rpm capability, and wide torque range. :D

Darknight

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:43 am

I always thought that "Rocket Boosters" were used for quick acceleration. In fact, most of the time, whenever a boost in acceleration was required, it was quite often the Rocket Boosters that were used.

Pathogen
Volunteer

Post by Pathogen » Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:48 pm

Theory: Boost 2, etc.

(For the record, I’m only posting because my car “in development’ do use such a button. And I enjoy a technical challenge.)

SuperCooler theory: (I’m just stuck on this idea right now – I love it. Oddly enough, I have to thank Ford.)
http://www.svt.ford.com/news/news_concept_light.asp (Concept Lightning)
There is a button in the Concept Ford Lightnings which, when activated, dumps a vat of super-cooled liquid into the intercooler. (Intercooler explained briefly: “supercharged” or “turbocharged” air is dense and terribly hot. The air is pushed through a radiator (air to air, or air to water) to cool the air before it enters the engine, thus making the “charge” stronger. Though turbo and supercharged systems do exist without intercoolers, they are not as efficient and more dangerous.)

I like the idea by Ford which super cools an intercooler with the push of a button, and the system only takes 8 minutes or so to recharge. This system uses the existing air-conditioning unit to cool the liquid. I’d like to try it on my bird (given the funding ;) ).

I’ve also been told, through an ECU (or engine control unit) boost control, that the efficiency of “boost” can be maximized. The ECU assisted boost control adds manifold boost pressure to the top of the waste gate (or blow-of-valve, BOV) to assist in holding it closed and cycling air which would otherwise be released from the system. This can be activated done through the push of a button.

LEDs

The Grand Nationals had a horizontal gauge that moved as the throttle was depressed, thus gauging exactly how much boost (charged air) was being fed into the engine. Here at ProjectVirus, we run a gauge on the A-piller, which indicates when the car leaves the normal vacuum state and travels into the territory where it’s being force-fed charged air. . . . but then again, could very easily be something else completely unrelated.
http://www.projectvirus.com/photos/interior12.jpg (A-piller gauge pods on Virus; max. boost)

I think I crossed into lecturing. I tend to do that, sorry! ;)

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:04 am

Interesting. With options such as Sub-Zero and A/C on-board, KITT could easily utilize an engine boosting trick, such as that. (Though, I doubt any of the KR writers would have thought to use such an idea.)