Question about the Knight Rider Movie

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

March2875
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by March2875 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:12 am

Well it would actually be Knight Rider 2004 cause that is the tentive release.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:42 am

I'll probably get dissed for this but at this going rate, I'll be surprised if one gets made at all.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:46 am

Chuckysan wrote:In todays market, you don't need to spoon feed the audience. " The Recruit" wasn't called "The CIA Recruit", nor is "Dreamcatcher" called "The Alien Catcher" and so on. Sure, 30 years ago you had to name your movies "Star Trek: The Motion Picture", etc, but today you don't.
No, they named ST:TMP that because they had no idea there were going to be nine sequels. They thought it was going to be THE motion picture. And 30 years ago, The Recruit would have been The Recruit and so on. Stop thumbing your nose at the audience. If anything, they're dumber today than they were in 1973. :roll:
Give the movie an actual title and then you have something to build a franchise out of in any direction thats popular. Think of all the Tom Clancy movies, great franchise, its audience knows its a all about the same character but its not pushed at the public as "Jack Ryan 4".
That only works for the Jack Ryan films because they're based off of pre-existing books that had separate titles. Same reason for the James Bond movies, even though they aren't based on Fleming's books anymore. So does that mean that Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo were unoriginal because the second Godfather film was called The Godfather, Part II? :roll:
If they call it "Knight Rider: *Anything*", nad ever want to do another they are permanelty stuck with "Knight Rider II: *blah blah blah*" and I personally think if you get stuck into that rut, the audience will stay away in droves.
Which is why Superman II, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Mission: Impossible 2, Star Trek II-IV and VI-First Contact were all massive box-office failures. Riiiiiiiiiight... :roll: :roll:
But thats just me ....
Yes it is. :P

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:04 pm

How about a little suggestion for a title: Knight Rider: The Shadowy Flight Continues ....

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:09 pm

"A Shadowy Flight" may have meaning to us, but I don't think it's something the general public recognizes... It's not like "Space: The Final Frontier" or some other well-know TV phrases. You can play around with lengthy titles in the sequels, but I still like short and sweet: Knight Rider.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

SeiferV440
Volunteer

Post by SeiferV440 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:13 pm

i would like to change my view for the name title for the movie... Knight Rider The Next Generation would make a lousey title and so would Super Knight Kider 3000, they should just call it "Knight Rider", especially since it would be the first Knight Rider movie to hit the main screens... and if a new series and movie was to be ever be made once again, they should just call it "Knight Rider II"... and for future reference i think they should just stick to the title "Knight Rider" followed by Roman Numerals... cause who know... in the next 20-40 years from now... KNIGHT RIDER IV (both series and movie) might show... KNIGHT RIDER The Fourth would rule!

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:33 pm

anyone heard anymore news about 'wheels of fury'..supposed to be like kr, with a cop being left for dead but bein bought back with a new identity with a hot car, or something like that.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:31 pm

How about "Knight Rider: Ressurection" Just the sound of it would stir curiosity, and suggest an intriguing franchise history that movie-goers might want to discover or rediscover. It would also make it easy to work such plots as KITT and/or Michael being brought back into Foundation work after, say, some time in layoff. Perhaps at some point (when Devon passed away, perhaps?)the Foundation lost its leadership and folded. KITT was put in storage, dismantled, who knows what. Michael went and did his own thing for many years, etc...but now, someone(another wealthy philantropist looking to make a positive change in the world, after some personal trajedy?) with the will, the desire and the financial capability is bringing back FLAG, hiring a new driver, and putting Michael in charge as the overseer. Agh, who knows. Just an idea.

DK

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:34 pm

Too close to "Insurrection", which makes it too Star Trekey. (ahoy, a new word, matey, ahar.....)

KI

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:31 am

Maybe, or maybe it would spark some phonetically familiar chord in the audience. That is, perhaps just by the sound of it, their ears would perk up a little, because it might seem vaguely familiar. Besides that, it might draw some of the traditionally Trekie crowd. If not that, then perhaps "Knight Rider: The Awakening". I'm not sure where you'd go with that, but I think it sounds interesting. Perhaps it could make reference to Michael and KITT being "asleep" for several years, in the sense of not being involved in active duty, then finally being called upon to reassume some semblance of their former positions, but with an updated KITT, and more mature administrative style Michael.

DK

Chuckysan
Volunteer

Post by Chuckysan » Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:11 am

Thanks Mike :)
Obviously I'm not the guy to decide what movies should and should not be made lol. I had no idea those movies made those kind of dollars. When I think "flop" I DO think those movies but thats because to me, they were fluff. To me, a movie is all about story, and a good story is one you want to here (or in this case see) over and over again. Those movies, as big as they were, were one timers for me, and usually I left the theatres afterwards digruntled over the loss of two hours of my life lol. But again thats me, and I don't expect others to adhere to what I think is good or bad, and obviously ALOT of people like those movies so ....

The point I was trying to make within that long winded, off topic, late night diatribe was that the name "Knight Rider" has a very negative connotation as a B-grade, cheesy, kids show. I still think if its called "Knight Rider", the average Joe of the street wouldn't be caught dead seen walking into it. I'm hoping the movie will smash that perception with a story thats worthy of more than just the hard core fans attention. But if nobody goes to see it in the first place ....

I think you could call the movie by another title, one that every KR fan would get but would appease the average person into knowing what he's getting into, but at the same time its so much more. You don't want to decieve the public, but you sure can steer them in a different dirrection.

ex. What if instead of focusing on KITT or Micheal, the actual story is 100% about the Foundation. KITT is still there, but he's not the focal point. The movie is "The Foundation" ?
Stop thumbing your nose at the audience. If anything, they're dumber today than they were in 1973.
??

I was saying that you don't need to spell every little thing out for the audience, and you're saying they DO need to because the audience is dumber now?
That only works for the Jack Ryan films because they're based off of pre-existing books that had separate titles
So? You think the only people that went to see those movies had read or even heard of the books? The point I was trying to make was, as with the Ryan films, look at movies like "The Fugitive" and the follow up "US Marshalls". Every one in that theatre KNEW beforehand Tommy was the same character in the same job. Know one stayed away because it wasn't called "The Fugitive II"

And the Godfather movies were actually written as a 2-parter originally. Now part 3 on the other hand .....
Which is why Superman II, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Mission: Impossible 2, Star Trek II-IV and VI-First Contact were all massive box-office failures. Riiiiiiiiiight
Superman 2, again was written at the same time as the first one, in fact they even filmed the setup for the second movie during the shoot for the first. The whole phantom zone criminal thing (I have to watch those again, can't remember there names lol)

Each Batman movie after the first played up the cartoon level and the die hard fans stayed away in droves. They made money on star power alone. People went to them for the stars, not the story one bit.

And Star Trek? Hell you could write the name Enterprise on a peice of tinfoil and film it blowing up a grapefruit and make 40 Million dollars lol. The name "Star Trek" is a licence to print money lol.

But again, this is just me. It not meant as an attack or flame or a sales pitch. Personally I love the name "Resurection", I just wouldn't have the name "Knight Rider" in front of it.

Now where did I put that tinfoil and grapefruit .......

:)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:23 am

You are still basically feeding the concept of trying to sell Knight Rider as something it is not. And it wasn't a B-Grade Cheesy Kids Show, it was one of the more popular shows of the time. Charlies Angels was pretty B-Grade and Cheesy, yet they stayed with the name. Every remake of a TV Series into Motion Picture land stays with the name for a reason. The name sells. It has always sold, and will continue to sell, rather than blowing smoke up everybody's rears trying to portray it as something it is not.

You drastically underestimate the viewing audience with your own perceptions of what you like and do not like. You also do not count in the fact that Sci-Fi channel is suddenly showing Knight Rider, as are a few other channels around the world, that is drawing in a whole new audience. With its original title, the KR movie could probably do a whole lot better than some flashy facade put up in front of it as a title.

KI

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:57 am

Sorry, but i've asked everyone their views on the show of KR, and they all agree it is a very cheesy kids show. why do you think i'm teased about it by friends and ppl in general?

as ive told this story before, a friend of mine was at a work place and they were talking about comp games and GTA: vice city. when my friend bought up KR, they all started laughing, saying it was a kids show, why would anyone buy the game?

there's a lot more ppl with that frame of mind than you know.

Skav

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:16 pm

I agree it had and still has the cheesy kidshow stereotype to nonfans and a few fans to I guess. I still love it and enjoy it no matter what.

It definitely took hits as "Campy 80's show" I think that was mostly due to special affects which I hope the movie changes all that.

SeiferV440
Volunteer

Post by SeiferV440 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:07 pm

true that March2875.. i still enjoy Knight Rider no matter what

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:25 pm

Skav wrote:Sorry, but i've asked everyone their views on the show of KR, and they all agree it is a very cheesy kids show. why do you think i'm teased about it by friends and ppl in general?

as ive told this story before, a friend of mine was at a work place and they were talking about comp games and GTA: vice city. when my friend bought up KR, they all started laughing, saying it was a kids show, why would anyone buy the game?

there's a lot more ppl with that frame of mind than you know.

Skav
Yes, but as we have discussed many times before, they bash and laugh, but in the end, they are as bad as closet Trekkies. They will laugh and call it names, but they will still revisit it. I am not saying that it wasn't, I am saying that it is not justifyiable reason to take away the name, and sell it as something that it isn't.

KI

knightdemons
Stranger

new knightrider movie

Post by knightdemons » Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:48 pm

this is just a randum idea but why not call the movie K.I.T.T :lol: its kinda a stupid idea but hey if they are making a movie maybe they should put it on tv instead

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:56 pm

Welcome to the board.

While a project like this may be better suited for TV, there is still the concept that Knight Rider has 'been there, done that', and it would be a bit of a step down at this point.

KI

sofchance
Rookie

Post by sofchance » Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:46 pm

"Knight Rider" would be a great title (hehe).

As long as the title font looks cool, it would make me happy.

Knight rideR