Question about the Knight Rider Movie

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

tharpdevenport
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by tharpdevenport » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:04 am

I've said it once and now i say it again, KITT can't be ultra sleek futuristic. It spoils KITTs purpose. When the villians look out the window and see that comming they'll emmediatly arm them selves and fans will be somewhat repolsed. True fans that is.
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:38 pm

I never thought it was fair to compare TKR to Power Rangers. The main reason for the connection seems to be because of the lightning-bolt effect of the combo car. I'll admit that was a bit cheesey. But it was an extremely minor part of the show. We only saw it a few times.

Power Rangers was hardly the first team of crime fighters out there... The A Team, The Magnificent 7, G-Force, (Battle of the Planets), The Fantastic Four... I think TKR has more in common with those stories than with Power Rangers.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

zerofreeze
Volunteer

Some great points

Post by zerofreeze » Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:33 pm

Some great points brought up, if you ask me I am not sure the movie will ever happen, and unless it looks really good, I will wait for it to come out on video. After KR2000, TKR, and KR2010 (or whatever that was supposed to be), I am hoping they can really turn things around. For me, I just enjoy seeing the episodes again on sci-fi!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:03 pm

I believe the TKR <-> Power Rangers connection wasn't hurt by the fact that there were 5 people in TKR and 5 people in the Power Rangers. The lightning effect helped solidify it.

thumper
Stranger

New movie wonders

Post by thumper » Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:01 pm

:?: :?: i am inpressed with the site as far as i've seen so far but i do have a question. In the new movie they have shown who they are looking at for the new driver. Would anyone happen to know if they have leaked any info as far as the car yet?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:02 pm

For starters, it is only rumored that they are looking for a new driver, and no, nothing has been released about the car yet, other than they are still 'interviewing' them.

KI

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Re: ....

Post by sarfraz » Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:16 pm

tharpdevenport wrote:I've said it once and now i say it again, KITT can't be ultra sleek futuristic. It spoils KITTs purpose. When the villians look out the window and see that comming they'll emmediatly arm them selves and fans will be somewhat repolsed. True fans that is.
...well considering what the bad guys drove and the cars around at that time, KITT did stand out. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that KITT was not as inconspicuous as some poeple make out. When looking at KITT from todays point of view, yes, he doesn't look out of place, but back then it did.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:46 pm

I disagree with that, Sarfraz. The only way K.I.T.T. stood out in the 1980s was that he was a new sports car (and had a funky little red light in his nose). But thousands of people in the States were driving them. It wasn't like he was supposed to be a concept car or anything -- he was always intended to be undercover (to the extent that early plans were to have a "normal" dash that flipped to "super" -- mentioned in the pilot script and by Davey in "Good Day at White Rock", "This is some kinda car, it didn't look like this before!").

Anyways, my ideas for the movie -- I think the series worked better when Michael and K.I.T.T. were attacking smaller-scale problems, like helping a small band of truckers, or solving a murder-mystery; private-eye stuff the way the series started out. Helping "the innocent, the helpless, the powerless."

The movie, whatever problem they're tackling, will need to be like "Goliath." A huge threat. However... big breath...

"Goliath" worked on account of the fact it hadn't been done before, and was aired in the timeframe when Michael and K.I.T.T. were mainly solving those small-scale stories. Michael and K.I.T.T. were out of their depth in the 1st "Goliath", and really had to go against the odds to win the day. Later shows (almost all of the fourth season), they were beating enemies like that every week, on a superheroic scale -- plane hijackers with doomsday weapons, evil dictators, Third World terrorists stealing dangerous isotopes, and so on.

So I would say they need to go back and look at the Goliath story, and create something similar (and I mean similar, NOT identical) to that. They need to be out of their depth again, real odds and enemies stacked against them. Add to that current state-of-the-art effects and values, and there is the opportunity to do the show justice on the Silver Screen.

- Paul
- Knight Rider Archive
- http://members.fortunecity.com/knightriders/

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:49 am

Knight Rider Archive wrote:I disagree with that, Sarfraz. The only way K.I.T.T. stood out in the 1980s was that he was a new sports car (and had a funky little red light in his nose). But thousands of people in the States were driving them. It wasn't like he was supposed to be a concept car or anything -- he was always intended to be undercover (to the extent that early plans were to have a "normal" dash that flipped to "super" -- mentioned in the pilot script and by Davey in "Good Day at White Rock", "This is some kinda car, it didn't look like this before!").

- Paul
- Knight Rider Archive
- http://members.fortunecity.com/knightriders/
I agree and see where your coming from, but come on, they could have given the bad guys some cooler looking cars!

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Darendor
Operative

Post by Darendor » Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:53 pm

I thought William Daniels was returning?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:10 pm

That, like many other things is a rumor, it has been mentioned as most likely, that he has signed on, but anything that is really current that we know is in the FAQ, or can be found at http://www.newknightrider.com

KI

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:33 pm

Let me try putting it this way, a red scannerr going back and forth on the front would be a dead give away. That was the true stand out.
But as for that feature being on the new mvoie model, i could see past that since so many teenagers have lights on various places on their cars nowadays.

And to ask, i got a DVD player for x-mas, so, anyone can tell me where to get those Knight Rider DVDs? And can region 1 DVD players play region 2 DVDs?
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

knightynight
Recruit

Post by knightynight » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:12 pm

Ok guys, the long and the short of it. First, TKR sucked donkey and there is absolutely no question about it. Second, any plot in the movie better not have a huge arch -nemesis, at least not one that reminds anyone of Garth, a character which I thought sucked donkey as well. The plot SHOULD be centered around the heroes attempting to aid either people who are in a position of helplessness, i.e. the poor versus a huge corporation, etc. or trying to stop something that when sold or stolen by the badguys can be turned against the less fortunate, poor, handicapped, etc. Third, the car HAS to be a dark color, black is preffered, but no more bright red, which could be spotted ten miles away. Fourth, there had better not be technical gadgets that are either too difficult to explain and/or uses cheap props to attempt to "wow" the populace. Fifth, they had better make sure they know EXACTLY what each function of the new KITT does in the movie and any possible subsequent television episodes. These things were all what killed the universe of Knight Rider before, and they WILL KILL AGAIN!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:11 am

The long and short of it is that some things that work on television don't work on the big screen. I think the stakes are going to have to be a bit higher in the movie than the quaint TV scripts of saving the farm. I'm sure there will be some shapely damsel in distress, but if you want to show off a supercar you pretty much need a super villian. KITT battled a lot of construction machinery on TV because it was an easy excuse to have battling vehicles, but come on; how realistic were those "battles" anyway?

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightynight
Recruit

Post by knightynight » Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:24 am

Ok, I didn't mean to diss the entire concept of a supervillain, but I personally feel that you lose something in the concept of Knight Rider when you take it out of the scope of simply a man and a car trying to help those who can't help themselves. The problem that you will always see here is the SAME OLD THING. I have no doubts that Mr. Larson can write a killer script without the age old tale of yin versus yang, I believe that was his intention when he created Knight Rider, but I don't know the man personally. I DO want to see KITT and his partner come up against incredible odds, such as the ancient Biblical tale of David versus Goliath. Remeber that in that tale, David was trying to ensure the freedom of Israel, and to defend God's personal honor, NOT to fight an "evil" giant. Personally I would rather NOT see another frickin' movie about a super good guy fighting a super bad guy. I thought Triple X was good, because to me it was making fun of all the other spy movies. I think that a good believable plot can be centered around the ideas that I have previously mentioned. The trick is to make it believable, and at the same time, dazzle the audience, however this is something that KITT has never failed to do (dazzle, I mean).

katz112
Recruit

About the new movie

Post by katz112 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:45 pm

I am just wondering how many of you fans WANT David to do the movie. I am totally for it. I don't like change. I am soooooo used to seeing David racing around in K.I.T.T. I know I will go see the new movie, but will have a hard time if someone new takes over.
I guess I am old fashoned. :roll:

Any opinions? comments? suggestions?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:56 pm

you're not the only one. i think that's every kr fan's wish but don't be surprised if it don't happen. at least kitt is DEFINETELY returning!

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:58 pm

I think the board used tobe pretty roughly on the side of Hasselhoff coming back, at the very least in any role as Michael Knight, when this has been brought up in the past.

I know that I personally would like to see him back, maybe to just pass on the torch and watch over the next generation while pining for his days of action behind KITT.

KI

Karan
Recruit

Post by Karan » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:24 am

i remember viewing some interview with david off some website,and i read its transcript..and i remember him saying something like 'we're gonna try to keep things as true to the series as possible.'
and i remember him saying this for sure; "....michael knight will be michael knight..." so maybe he meant he'll be playing it then
or atleast he plans to

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:55 am

He is playing Michael Knight. What role Michael Knight will have or how much of one is what's up in the air.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:49 am

In regards to the original topic, I would love to see David back as Michael. But there is the reality to me that he will not be the only lead of a young loner.

knightynight
Recruit

Post by knightynight » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:17 pm

Hey, I ain't afraida no change. 'Specially if they do a good job. Everyone here seems almost paranoid that things will be so different that it will be bad. So what? If its bad then its bad, its not like us Knight Rider fans aren't used to having people throw bad things at us, look at TKR for chrissakes (grits teeth and shudders). Anyway, because its been bad before and D.H. seems determined not to let it get that way, then I'm just gonna lie back and wait. No sense getting my monkeys in a ruffle.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:44 pm

Then don't get your monkeys in a ruffle. ;)

KI

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:20 pm

Okay, here is I feel about the situation. Knight Rider 2000 was the forerunner to a new Knight Rider- out with the old, in with the new- heck, that was an underlying tone throughout the entire movie. Unfortunately, it never took off.

I am a fan of change- so many people seem to be hell-bent on holding on to the past- but it's something that has to be let go.

Yes, it would be great to see David Hasselhoff as Michael Knight again, but it's time to pass the baton.

-Scott

SeiferV440
Volunteer

New KNIGHT RIDER Movie Title (Your Pick)

Post by SeiferV440 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:57 pm

I say they should call it KNIGHT RIDER The Next Generation... what do yas think