Question about the Knight Rider Movie

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:34 pm

Ok the imagery of Jackie Chan ordering KITT around and telling him what to do is priceless.
Yeah, I guess it would because it would be pretty incoherant :D !

MK(Jackie Chan): (thick accent) Kitt, can you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?

Kitt: Michael, no one can understand the words that are coming out of your mouth!

:lol:
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:32 am

The sad part is that Smokey and the Bandit was already remade as a tv series using a dodge stealth. Needless to say it didnt last very long. It was one of those action pac shows like Team Knight Rider and Herculies.

If KITT is anything other than a T/A, it is gonna suck!
Brian - Knightdriver.com

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:36 pm

knightdriver wrote: If KITT is anything other than a T/A, it is gonna suck!
If you stick yourself in that headset, then no matter how awesome the car looks, it is going to suck anyway. How about leaving the mind open for asthetic value rather than predetermined biast?

Just a thought.

KI

Pathogen
Volunteer

Active F-Body patrol; keeping the streets safe from imports

Post by Pathogen » Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:59 pm

Okay, I'm an open minded person.
Kitt styles up for grabs;

Flare - 2002 WS6 Trans AM (over rated hood and options package).
Marketing - SUV, the new Thunderbird, or a Mustang (God help us all)
Popularity - Supra or a riced out Civic (and the driver would be a cocky rookie cop)
Style - 2002 Formula (looks just like a V6 with more power)
Complete unpredicted - Have you seen the concept Chargers? Let's go Lamo! Oh my, how about that Turbo PT Cruiser?

Personally, I'd throw up a nice Crown Vic, the new Impala, or a Contour and just mess with people's minds.

Cheers!

KITT431
Recruit

Post by KITT431 » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:06 pm

I'd like to see K.I.T.T. remain a Trans Am, but if he isn't in a Trans Am body, I would not want to see him in the body of a [i]PT CRUISER[/i]! I also cannot see K.I.T.T. in a tricked out Civic or Supra, it would be a nice thought, but he would be pretty easily seen and out in the open. I do not think he will be in an SUV or a Thunderbird. My best guess is that K.I.T.T. will be a new 2003/2004 car, possibly a concept. But, it doesn't seem to make sense to put K.I.T.T. a concept, because he will not be like all other cars on the outside. He will be an eye-catcher, which is not what the Knight 2000 was intended to do.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:06 pm

I'd personally throw in the Corvette just for giggles.

KI

KITT431
Recruit

Post by KITT431 » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:07 pm

That may just work. I can see K.I.T.T. in a Corvette body. Not that much of a stretch.

Pathogen
Volunteer

Post by Pathogen » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:22 pm

Why didn't I think of that? I guess with the Camaro and the Firebird being discontinued, it kinda slipped my mind.

I could live with that!

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:34 am

This may be a bit of a silly idea but does anyone remember the movie "The Wraith".It starred Charlie Sheen and was produced around the late 80's.The main focus of the movie talked about a guy comming back from the dead in a spiritual heaven kinda way back to reek vengeance on the gang of car racing badies,with a little miracle he brought down with him.The miracle to race the bad guys was called the turbo interceptor in the movie.It kinda looked like a lambergini.Now it was also black but I think Kitt would look good in it with a new futuristic strobe type of scanner.It wasn't to big of a car like most lamberginis are it is realy called "the vector".A friend of a friend of mine designed it and had it constructed for the movie.It is currently in New York in a special huge warehouse under a tarp.Anyone intrested in the dvd can find it on ebay.com for pics I found one yesterday but the auction is up and I didnt save the link by mistake.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:50 pm

I remember the Wraith... It would smash into other cars in a huge explosion, but the car would just keep being reincarnated. The car looked nice in a "cheap interpretation of a futuristic car from the 80s" sort of way.. But definitely cool.

I still prefer the idea of KITT being a less exotic car... A Trans Am, or even a Corvette is sort of an "everyman's car" that doesn't stick out in a crowd too much. Part of the appeal of Knight Rider was that from the outside, it looked like a car just about anyone could have, unlike the Batmobile for example.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:59 pm

I also saw that as a cool feature of kitt that it did look ordinary to the eye.What would have the same effect is this.According to Hasslehoff when he was on the conan obrian show a year ago(I do have the clip) he said that he was going for a mad max thing where they go back and forth through time and memory sequences.So maybe if this will end up being another future kr movie kitt would look pretty normal as a black vector if they show a bunch of simaler futuristic cars like in back tot he future 2.Each car looked ordinary for its time and being and compared to the time machine the delorian didn't look that far out of place.The lambergini isn't that out of the ordinary compared to the future cars we have today then maybe the vector could fit in with the cars of the future.

KOSI
Recruit

Post by KOSI » Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:37 pm

Knight Racer wrote:It wasn't to big of a car like most lamberginis are it is realy called "the vector".A friend of a friend of mine designed it and had it constructed for the movie.It is currently in New York in a special huge warehouse under a tarp.
I hate to have to call you on this one, but the Turbo Interceptor is not a one-off, and was not a Vector. It was a Dodge M4S, produced as a joint venture between Dodge and PPG, as a prototype for a one-make racing series. It debuted in the Chicago International Auto Show in 1986, and had an intercooled, twin turbocharged 2.2 litre DOHC Cosworth/Dodge engine which produced upwards of four-hundred horsepower under the rear bonnet, driving the rear wheels. Six replicas were built for the movie, of which, an unknown number are still in existence.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:15 pm

Not to mention, the futuristic angle didn't work for beans.

KI

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:23 am

I don't know if you can say that Knight Rider 2000 being set in the future hurt it really. It would be more opinon. I do believe however its highly unecessary. I mean KR was about the car of the future in the present. Not the future.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:10 pm

Well, many have said that one of the aspects that made KR2K so bad was the fact that it was said in the future, so I was just going with it. *sigh*

KI

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:04 am

Well I guess popular opinion would carry wait then. I personally didn't have a problem with it at the time. What bugged me personally was Devon's death and the original car getting dismantled.

I would have a problem with it being set in the year 3000 though. Like David has hinted at as possible setting for the upcoming movie. That's a concept I hope Glen Larson nipped in the bud real quick.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:43 pm

Amidst a lot of rumors it looks like Firebird may not be dead just yet. GM plans to continue the Firebird/Camaro line on their new Sigma, Cadilac Cattera, based platform. I guess they just plan on killing the F-body platform but not the cars themselves. First they roll out a substandard yuppified GTO and now this. Way to go GM! :evil: :evil: :!:

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:54 pm

I have assumed this as well. But it is still the end of a car, just not the name.

GM is just trying to keep up with Ford and Chrystler. Dodge came out with the Ram several years back trying to bring back the old truck design. And then the PT Cruiser and Prowler, enough said there. Ford has brought back the T-Bird, and the Malabu. And GM got their feet wet already with the Monte Carlo. No as long as it isn't an F-Body it will never be the same, I'm glad I have one of the last. Not looking forward to the future of automobiles. :(

IceKnight
Rookie

Post by IceKnight » Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:16 am

OK, Wannabe... hate to be a perfectionist...
Chevrolet is the producers of the Malibu. and they are also releasing a retro looking truck concept, the SSR in mid 2003.
Also, if anyone else has seen anything from the new detroit auto show, Ford Motor Company has revamped the Mustang. I kinda like it actually... blends the late 60's 'Stang with the 90's one. Ford's website has a few images on it.
Yes, its true that the car manufacturers are going retro with car concepts... and I have to admit that the GTO import from Australia just doesn't cut the mustard for me... personally I thought the concept car they brought out a few years ago fit better than the version they decided to import. But you have to understand that right now, the largest group of automobile drivers are older, Baby Boomer-era drivers. They want cars that remind them of their youth. Thus, you will be noticing retro designing for the next 5-10 years, most likely.
In fact, I was quite happy with some of the retro-like design drawings I saw for future Camaros. I can only imagine what they next Bird will look like. And if push comes to shove, I agree with what was said above. KITT in a jet-black C6 Vette is alright by me 8) .

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:39 am

Oops... Erk.

Sorry.. My bad..

I don't know what I was thinking, Chevy Malibu, Duh. LOL
My Grandfather had one.

I don't care to much for change to be honest. Remember the V6 Frontwheel drive Bird and Vette? Enough said. IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:49 am

But you have to understand that right now, the largest group of automobile drivers are older, Baby Boomer-era drivers. They want cars that remind them of their youth. Thus, you will be noticing retro designing for the next 5-10 years, most likely.
That's cool so long as GM remembers me in the next 20 years or so and releases a retro 3rd gen style Firebird :D

citiprime
Stranger

Knight Rider Movie - Should it acknowledge KR2000 and TKR?

Post by citiprime » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:49 am

I know that the rumors I've seen of the movie have it set a thousand years in the future, so all this may not mean anything, but if the movie is set in the present it might make a difference. I also know Larson is on record as being disappointed by the direction taken in KR2000. I don't know how he feels about TKR. Do you think in writing the movie he will play within the events established in KR2000 and TKR or only keep the original series as cannon?

The other problem is that the events in TKR and KR2000 conflict with each other. In KR2000 K.I.T.T. has been mothballed in storage for most of the 90's, but in TKR he's some sort of holographic entity. In TKR, Michael has faked his death and Devon has left the foundation, which would conflict with what happens later in KR2000.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:56 am

It would be nice if certain parts of the series were acknowledged, but not the whole thing as canon, because neither truly were the core root of Knight Rider.

In the past on this board, there were several descrepancies that were found between KR2000 and TKR, to the point that they would never really be able to be compatible with each other if you mixed them. So maybe it would be a good idea to just ignore both all together and stick with the canon.

Welcome, by the way.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:25 am

You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger supporter of TKR than I was, but I don't think it belongs in the movie. The Knight Rider franchise is loved for Michael & the Trans Am, not the 2000 or TKR incarnations. Even quick references to either show could feel forced. I think they should just let it go completely.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:57 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger supporter of TKR than I was, but I don't think it belongs in the movie. The Knight Rider franchise is loved for Michael & the Trans Am, not the 2000 or TKR incarnations. Even quick references to either show could feel forced. I think they should just let it go completely.

Mike
Dito