Let's Talk about April

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Allen
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Let's Talk about April

Post by Allen » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:34 pm

I know it was on recently, but did they explain why Bonnie vanished to be replaced by April?

Do we like April? Is she a worthy "addition" or do we like Bonnie better? I like Bonnie more than April. Michael had a better rapport with Bonnie than April, and sometimes I think April's trying to hard to get noticed that she's female (the Mary-Anne ponytails, tiny pink shorts, etc).

Where did April come from? And when Bonnie came back, where did April go?

Bonnie worked on KITT since day 1, and then April took her place. I always wondered how April liked filling someone else's shoes, and how KITT liked being worked on by someone other than Bonnie.

It seems rare to see women like April and Bonnie as engineers. I think they should be proud to be successful and beautiful female automotive/electronic engineers, given that it's a predominantly male profession.

What do you think?

Allen
http://www.allensedge.com

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:15 am

As people have discussed before, Patricia McPherson was temporarily fired when she recommended that Michael and Bonnie have a relationship between the characters. The writers obviously didn't want them to be more than just working partners.

So Rebecca Holden took her place. But people did not find her to be right for the role, so they requested that Ms. McPherson be brought right back. Ms. Holden left to go on to do a country singing career. I like the show much better when it has Bonnie. I thought it didn't make sense to have her disappear and be filled in by someone else.

To answer the question of why Bonnie left and April came to take her place, they just say she went away to do some research at a university in KNIGHT OF THE DRONES. But Devon asked for her to rejoin the Foundation. They never explained what happened to April. She just disappeared.

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:24 am

In my opinion in Knight of The Drones, they should have shown April's departure at some point. It would have been better for the flow.

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:29 am

Or at least said she was no longer going to be with them. Could have done something in GOLIATH where they said Bonnie had left and April was now there to take her place. It doesn't make sense with them acting like she has been with them for a while as we are seeing her for the first time.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:09 am

ColeGrad01 wrote:As people have discussed before, Patricia McPherson was temporarily fired when she recommended that Michael and Bonnie have a relationship between the characters. The writers obviously didn't want them to be more than just working partners.
Say WHAT? Patricia McPherson was let go, it wasn't primarily beause she recommended that Michael and Bonnie have a relationship. She was let go, because they didn't think that she was glamorous enough, and because she and Robert Foster didn't see eye to eye. Her persistent lobbying for the romance was only part of the reason, a rather small part at that. The writers didn't care about the relationship, the producers did.
So Rebecca Holden took her place. But people did not find her to be right for the role, so they requested that Ms. McPherson be brought right back. Ms. Holden left to go on to do a country singing career. I like the show much better when it has Bonnie. I thought it didn't make sense to have her disappear and be filled in by someone else.
Try Hasselhoff and Mulhare lobbied to get McPherson back. And succeeded.

KI

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:49 am

I've always wondered why Bonnie and Michael never got together..They would have made a cute couple.

Knicks4973
Operative

Post by Knicks4973 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:58 pm

Or at least said she was no longer going to be with them. Could have done something in GOLIATH where they said Bonnie had left and April was now there to take her place. It doesn't make sense with them acting like she has been with them for a while as we are seeing her for the first time.
Even though Goliath was the first episode shown in season 2, it wasn't the first episode produced. It was Return to Cadiz. So if you were going to explain Bonnie's departure and April's arrival, it would need to be done in Return to Cadiz, but then that episode would need to be shown first, otherwise, you'll confuse people.

I found April kinda refreshing actually. It made Bonnie even more special when she returned. In season 1, Bonnie was more of KITT's mechanic, then personal secretary, unlike April, who was both mechanic and secretary.

Kirin
Recruit

Post by Kirin » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:53 pm

Even without it being explained here, I kind of suspected what went on behind the scenes just by looking at Patrcia McPherson and Rebbeca Holden.

Rebbeca Holden clearly has more of a "hot babe" factor to her, and that's why I figured NBC had her come in and replace McPherson. I mean the 2nd season credits have her working on KITT with the short tied up blue blouse. Not too hard to figure out what they were going for there. Then I always suspected that perhaps the actors like Edward Mulhare and David Hasselhoff felt it was an unfair reason to cut someone and pushed for McPherson's return.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:17 am

As people have discussed before, Patricia McPherson was temporarily fired when she recommended that Michael and Bonnie have a relationship between the characters. The writers obviously didn't want them to be more than just working partners.
:shock: :lol: Hee hee, I don't think that is why she was fired! I have been away along time. Not questioning, just seems a little funny. How you doing Cole? :)
Last edited by Benjamin Knight on Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:18 am

As you can see a couple of posts down, the answer is no.

KI

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:51 am

Benjamin Knight wrote:How you doing Cole? :)
Not too bad right now. The less I post on here, then the less likely I am to get myself into situations. I just post things when I think I can possibly say something to what I read.

That may not be the direct reason why Patricia McPherson was asked to leave after the first season, but I do know I saw something where she wanted Michael and Bonnie to actually have a relationship with eachother.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:14 am

I see, well... You have a good one.

I was going to say... If someone got fired that easy, that would be crazy... I knew it wasn't true! :)

Benjamin Knight

PS: KNIGHT RIDER is cool! :kitt: