Knight Rider Game PS2 Version: Review (SPOILERS)

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Skav
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KR game reviewed in UK's most popular tabloid newspaper.

Post by Skav » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:23 pm

Yes, I saw it too. It is within a group of other reviews of other games too such as Rocky which I bought with KR.

It has a chance of catching the eye cos it is one of the first reviews of the page.

but saying that, as i said, it is with a bunch of other more popular games. so what gives? [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

Skav

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:00 am

Two hours? Oh, what a shame.

Outside of arcade ports, I can't think of any modern console games that have such short time play periods. (Which makes me fearful that the KR engine was based for an arcade play experience.) And, I can only think of a select few games from the past that might be so short.

I doubt most could even claim to have beaten the new Spy Hunter in two hours during their first play experiences.

Perhaps, the alterable PC version that holds more promise for un-official expandability would be the better buy, then. Then again, I've always been a fan of the games that could be upgraded to become far more than their original components.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:35 am

I bought the Knight Rider DVD, put it in my player and watched the entire thing in less than 3 hours. LESS THAN THREE HOURS! Why would people spend money on something they can finish so quickly?

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:46 am

----spoilers-----

thankfully, IMO, it does have a long lasting appeal that would make you go back to it just for fun even though you know what to do. handling KITT is fun to play as executing his features.

so it's not all bad. ive completed it now and have to say the ending sucked big time. just a bunch of txt for an ending. but for a short game, what did you expect, i guess.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:00 pm

I want a sequel too to make it my money's worth... LOL :lol:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:34 pm

Hmmm....not sure about if they'd do that. it was hard trying to locate the game because shops hardly stocked it so my guess is the sales on this game aren't gonna be as good as i thought it'd be. so i dunno if a sequel is feasible.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:39 pm

Not to mention, you will be paying for the sequel. It won't be free.

knightimmortal

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:41 pm

I had the same problem, it was only available in one store.

Just think how good the game could have been if Polyphony Digital had got the license... sigh... (they made the Gran Turismo games)

And Skav is right, I doubt the sales will justify a sequel.

Sonicfreak
Recruit

Post by Sonicfreak » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:05 pm

I have finished the game many times now, but it's still fun to play. It isn't perfect, but it's way better than the NES Knight Rider game.
I hope a sequell is on it's way (keeps his fingers crossed).

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:46 pm

Sonicfreak wrote: I hope a sequell is on it's way (keeps his fingers crossed).
Sounds to me like IF a sequel were to be made, THEY SHOULD take all the hard work used in making this first KR game and use the time in developing more substance and detail, which is why I have more hope for potential fan-made upgrades to the PC version than I do for the PS2 version.

So as not to sound all negative and unappreciative, I AM very glad to see that a new Knight Rider game has been made.

Oh, and on a semi-related topic from a month or so back on another thread, (in regards to a rumor about where the new KR game might be available at) BlockBuster DOES indeed do monopolies on video game sales/rentals. I got one of their ads yesterday and it had this X-Box game listed (Some golf game. 9 Holes of X-Mas) as being on sale there...as a BlockBusters Exclusive. (But, the price can hardly be beat. $4.99 new.)

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:26 pm

damn, i can't believe i forgot but i just wanted to say thank you to Sith for helping me out with the game. i appreciate your help!!!

the game can be quite tricky at times but its crates that count, lol.

Skav

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:50 am

My pleasure mate. :) I'm currently trying to track down the KARR cheat... if it even exists... :?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:12 pm

There's bound to be a cheat for that...plus playing as Goliath too. I searched up cheats for the KR game the other day but nothing is available yet. Understandable since it's a new game. I'll keep checking on it.

I'd love to have a cheat that allows you to have all the special features ie SPM for the early levels too. I loved using SPM!! You don't really get to use it a lot though because of the complexity of the later levels which basically make you jump and ski rather than zoom down a straight road.

IF they did make a sequel to this game, then I hope they allow you to use SPM a lot more and hopefully inc EBS.

Skav

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:14 pm

LOL. My new trick is using ski mode, then activating SPM.

120MPH on two wheels! :D

Oh, and boosting over the semi is great fun too.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:22 pm

Just wondering if you got a scan yet or not??? Would be great to see! :D

K.I.T.T

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:57 pm

I've got a better one. Press Ski and then quickly hit turbo. you can flip yourself over and over in mid air and still land on up right.

My friend played it today and ya know when you go into the tunnel and burst through the door at the end of the tunnel level near the end of the game? act 2? well, he confused the game cos u can't start the final level with KARR, as KITT was vertically up right so his nose was hitting the ground. he kept on headbutting the ground for some reason. couldn't do anything. had to restart the game!

Plus when you DO play the final level, it's always fun to SPM head on into KARR!! haha.

Skav

BlazeFox
Rookie

Hello all. Long time no type.

Post by BlazeFox » Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:50 am

I still think that an RPG/Road Battle type game would've had more appeal and walking around as Michale on foot also would've added length to the game. Have him crawling through sewers, scouring buildings for evidence, fighting hand to hand and all that. Of course I haven't played the new KR game so I really have no right to state opinion yet. But I do hope that one of the malls or something have started running demos. I'm sure that Electronics Boutique probably already has.

I'm moving to Portland Oregon with Caladon and GrayFox near the end of December 02. I think GrayFox has a PS2, I'm not sure. But when I'm there I'll badger him into getting one and the KR game to go with it. Just curious but in the game is there real damage when KITT hits something or is destroyed? (in the event that KITT >can< be destroyed that is) What happens when you fail a turbo boost and fall down in a canyon? Hehe.

Do you get to crash through walls, bust up other vehicles or anything like that? Just curious.

-BlazeFox
the flame elemental kitsune

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:42 pm

To be honest its quite linear in nature. Its very rare that you have to time to go around messing around, as you're usually on a time limit or pursuing something.

KITT is near damn indestructible. LOL. From what I've seen only the mines and electric grids actually cause him any damage.

If you turbo boost down a cliff, or miss a jump etc, you're just placed back on the road. You also can't drive through walls as KITT often did in the series. He just comes to a complete stop.

There are other vehicles on the road, which you can smash into, but it usually just sends you into a slide. Sometimes they barrel roll.

There are lots of invisible barriers to prevent you leaving the area, but if you try turboing around, sometimes you can find yourself trapped, and forced to restart.

Clearly their test team did a rush job... :wink:

jup
FLAG Operative

Re: Hello all. Long time no type.

Post by jup » Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:10 pm

BlazeFox wrote:What happens when you fail a turbo boost and fall down in a canyon?

-BlazeFox
Reminds me of another game. (I don't recall the title, off hand.) I was doing some pretty advanced jumping maneuvers with the character when I missed the floor below and fell into this dark area between a "machine" and a side wall. What should have happened is that this zone should have been marked as an instant death zone. Instead, the game physics did what they could with the wedge-like environment and let me run around at a snail's pace around the machine until I reset the game. This one was a 3-D game, much like Knight Rider: The Game is.

Another great "what if" situation I have seen in a game comes from the Genesis version of Road Rash. A cop pulls me over by bashing my brains in while we were both airborne. (Violent game, to begin with.) The machine declairs him the winner...as soon as we both come back down on solid ground. But, before that happens, the cop nails an on-coming car and he is KO'ed. Thus, the game is now totally confused. I can't win because I am beyond health and I am under arrest. But, the cop is no longer conscious to arrest me. The only thing the game does is recognize that the game session on that course is done for and it scrolls the view point backwards and upwards...which is just keeps on doing until I reset the game.

Then, there is the very strange computer logic on PSX's Driver. If you ram some of the walls at weird angles and heights, you might pull off a "moon shot jump". Basically, your car could jump higher than all the multi-story buildings at a pace much slower than a rising balloon. To date, the longest I've had a car stay up is around three minutes.

Computer logic can produce some very weird results, at times.

So, can KITT fly?

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:32 am

I would like to add, I have not played the game since December lol

So much for longevity of interest...

I still see a worrying similarity between the Knight Rider game, and London Racer 2 - another game by Davilex.

Rumour has it that the London Racer code was used on the Knight Rider game - with little modification, and if the developers still visit here, I would dearly like to hear their side of the story.

Was this another case of a "license" being given a shoddy attempt at conversion?

Judging by the time gap between London Racer 1 and 2, which was quite short, I would imagine work on a Knight Rider sequel would already be in the works - assuming they were given the green light.

I sincerely hope they have, as Knight Rider is undoubtedly their most successful game to date. And no disrespect to them, but if the poor quality London Racer was allowed a sequel, then Knight Rider bloody demands one!

I stand by my earlier suggestions for the sequel, and if they use the same engine again, as was done with the London Racer games, all we are waiting for is them to construct more levels. An extra mission disk would be another possibilty, as was done with Grand Theft Auto London a few years back.

Of course, nothing has yet been announced, and Davilex's press office appears to not respond to e-mails, so I sincerely hope they are reading this.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:47 pm

Why not go for a game version of the new KR movie, instead?

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:17 am

Because you and I both know this movie, however good, will never recapture the brilliance of the series.

Times have changed. lol

If they had signed Vin Diesel as the rumours suggested, then it would have been very interesting... :D

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sat Mar 29, 2003 8:33 am

Vin Diesel...in Knight Rider...

(where's that totally freaked out smiley?) :D

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:29 pm

Ya mean Dim Weasel? :twisted:

KI

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:32 pm

lol @ KI :D

I know, but look how cool he was in The Fast and The Furious.

A Knight Rider movie with camera work like that, and a solid star would be awesome.

Just a shame the new movie has got such a small budget. ($40 million I read somewhere)