How street legal is KITT?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:13 pm

I think there is a mathematical defintion for the rear tail lights. It doesn't matter what they look like when they aren't turned on (you can have a tinted black cover over them) as long as they produce a certain luminosity when lit. They must be visible from 200 feet or whatever. By using higher intensity bulbs (and possibly new fuses/wiring) you might be able to get away with covering up the back section. Just a theory.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Tony
Rookie

Post by Tony » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:24 pm

During the daytime, my taillights are only visable within 100 feet ( brake lamps )
But then again my black out cover is not all that dark.
I don't know if you can see it on the pic at knightregistries. But maybe one of you can..
http://www.knightregistries.com/registry/sam

PS
the lights are not on but can you see the factory tail lamp lines through the cover??
Tony

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:39 pm

Hey, thats your replica Tony? Thats very nice! Superb job. One day, I'm gonna get one! "I've got to get me one of these!"

Tony
Rookie

Post by Tony » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:18 pm

The Real Michael Knight wrote:Hey, thats your replica Tony? Thats very nice! Superb job. One day, I'm gonna get one! "I've got to get me one of these!"
Thanks

Tony

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit

Post by ramon88us » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:10 pm

Hey, does anybody know if all these stuff is legal in Texas? Ive seen broken taillights in here but I dont know about red scanners.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:46 pm

You have to check with your local law enforcement or DMV. Each state has a different status about their car laws.

KI

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit

Post by ramon88us » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:49 pm

Thanks KI.

coolgyger
Volunteer

Post by coolgyger » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:26 am

I hate to burst everyones bubble one the scanner idea, but, well. ANY OSSOLATING (side to side movement) OF A LIGHT ON THE FRONT OF A VEHICLE IS TOTALLY ILLEGAL!! EVEN THE AMBER LIGHT FROM KARR IS ILLEGAL. that is so far in maryland it is. I have several contacts in the DMV office. I was thinking about making my own type of Knight vehicle out of my dad's chevy blazer. But oh well

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:40 am

Yes, you must have a permit in our state even for a yellow light (which means caution vehicle such as a tow truck or a construction vehicle) A red light can get you a series of violations the worst impersonating a police officer..
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:09 am

speaking of busrting bubbles...isnt it Bmv? i always thought it was BUREAU of Motor Vehicles...not DRIVER of Motor Vehicles... it is here in ohio anyway. just curious.

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:11 am

ALSO...the BMV doesnt decide what is street legal! your STATE HIGHWAY PATROL DOES! i PROMISE. call and ask. they have a specific list and if you have ANY questions you need to ask THEM...NOT the BMV

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:33 pm

It's the Division of Motor Vehicles. Where did you get Driver of Motor Vehicles?

And the State Highway Patrol does not decide what is street legal, the State Legislature who makes the laws does. The State Highway Patrol enforces them. The DMV (or BMV whatever it is in your state) has the entire listing of laws within your state, which generally comes in a generalized form when you go in to get your learner's permit or driver's license. Further details, they will also instruct you upon.

So let's review our lesson for today.

State Legislature makes the laws.
DMV (or BMV, depending on the state) regulates the laws.
State Highway Patrol/State Police/Sheriff/City Police enforce the laws.

You can ask either the DMV or the State Cops, but in many cases, the State Cops will call down to the DMV for research cases.

Sorry to burst any further bubbles....

KI

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:14 pm

ACTUALLY (i'll let the DMV slide since that does vary state to state) we TALKED to the BMV about my steering wheel, and they sent us to the State Highway Patrol because they didnt know. though our BMV is made up of idiots so i'm not saying you're wrong on this. also, when my last apartment complex decided that my other car wasnt street legal, we had to take it to the SHP for them to decide.

but thanks for the lesson. i always hated school though...

(...stupid snot nose teachers think they know everything...)

: )

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:18 pm

Good thing I'm not a teacher. *chuckles*

I can agree with you that the BMV or DMV is full of idiots. Let's just say that my grandfather passed away this past weekend, we called them to find out what was needed to get the titles transferred over and they told us to call the Sheriff. We called the Sheriff, he transferred us over to the State Cops. They transferred us to the DMV office in Santa Fe several miles away, and they have yet to get back to us. I don't think any of them really know what they are doing, they just try to make it sound good.

KI

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:12 pm

No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour
I find this kinda funny and and may concern KITT. :kitt2:

http://www.dumblaws.com/states/states.p ... California
Knight Industries Defence One

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:02 am

themarvelous3 wrote:
MKnightRider82 wrote:
The Gullwing Steering Wheel: Laws in all 50 States require steering wheels to be completely round, and if I remember correctly, it can be no less that 13 inches in diameter.
That may be the way it is right now, but according to Industrial Technology textbooks, they may change the way it looks believing that will make steering much safer and more efficient when turning. They showed a design that engineers consider putting in cars made for the future.
ACTUALLY...its not. i KNOW because my mom was VERY upset when i sawed through my steering wheel to make my own. she IMMEDIATLY called the Ohio State Highway patrol and they told her, as long as the steering wheel is a certain diameter, it does NOT have to be a complete circle. you can call and check yourself if you like.

(p.s.-i STILL drive with my hacked steering wheel and NO cop has ever mentioned it anytime i've been pulled over....for awhile that was quite often. i'll post pics of it sometime for you. its off a 94 chevy cavalier i had 5 years ago. people LOVE it...haha) : )
Your mom called the cops on you?!

Tony, how often do you drive your car? Do you ever drive it somewhere or is it always more of a parade? :wink:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:09 am

coolgyger wrote:I hate to burst everyones bubble one the scanner idea, but, well. ANY OSSOLATING (side to side movement) OF A LIGHT ON THE FRONT OF A VEHICLE IS TOTALLY ILLEGAL!! EVEN THE AMBER LIGHT FROM KARR IS ILLEGAL. that is so far in maryland it is. I have several contacts in the DMV office. I was thinking about making my own type of Knight vehicle out of my dad's chevy blazer. But oh well
You can turn the scanner off, you know.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:56 am

I think the main issue with the steering wheel is the durability. Most are not constructed with the same metal reinforcing of a stock wheel, and most are made out of fiberglass. So in an accident the weight of your body would crush the wheel and force the steering column into your chest.

At least that is how someone explained it to me.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!