Foundation Mobile Unit

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Arjun
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Foundation Mobile Unit

Post by Arjun » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:49 am

What kind of truck is the Foundation Mobile Unit? I have seen the GMC logo on the front grill, but can't find the name.

If anyone knows any good sites about this truck (the Foundation Mobile Unit or the truck used), or links to pictures, I would like to see them.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:12 am

Now I read it's a 1981 GMC General. I tried looking for information on this truck and also the Foundation Mobile Unit using Google, but can't find anything useful.

I am looking for a page with information on the Foundation truck.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:55 am

the FLAG Semi is a 1983 up to 1986 GMC General Semi. There was an eBay auction not to long ago for one of them, perhaps you can do a search for their completed auctions and turn it up.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:14 am

I even tried looking at the GMC website, where they had links to the Canyon, Safari, Envoy and stopped at medium-duty trucks.

Nothing on GMC General out there.

Anyone know of useful GMC General webpages?

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:40 am

try doing a search on google or something.

KITT
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:20 am

What a useless suggestion! I have been searching on Google for 3 days and have found nothing useful.

The search results highlight pages with GMC and General from General Motors in them. Nothing about GMC General- the truck.

I'm also disappointed with the fact that there are no Knight Rider websites with enough information on the foundation mobile unit. This site (http://www.knightrideronline.com) only has a 1-line description. I think the Foundation Mobile Unit has a special place in Knight Rider, just as much as KITT.

Perhaps some of the truck drivers who post on this forum might help. On the Airwolf forum (tv-series.com), there is a helicopter pilot who sometimes posts.

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:16 am

^I tried looking in the Yahoo directories for the division of GMC that manufactures long-haul tractor-trailers, and I wonder if it even exists anymore... all the other major manufacturers had sites up: Volvo, Freightliner, Mack, Peterbilt, but GMC didn't. :?

If GMC got out of the semi business, I'd nominate the Volvo VN780 to be the new FLAG semi... for a big truck, it looks really nice. :)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:54 pm

Arjun wrote:
What a useless suggestion! I have been searching on Google for 3 days and have found nothing useful.
Ok, first of all, that's rude, I think you owe KITT an apology. She was just trying to help, and there are just some thoughts you should honestly keep to yourself.
The search results highlight pages with GMC and General from General Motors in them. Nothing about GMC General- the truck.

I'm also disappointed with the fact that there are no Knight Rider websites with enough information on the foundation mobile unit. This site (http://www.knightrideronline.com) only has a 1-line description. I think the Foundation Mobile Unit has a special place in Knight Rider, just as much as KITT.
That's a rather skewed opinion. That's like saying that RC's bike had as much of a special place in Knight Rider. KITT was the center of the show, and the semi was the unit that met him from place to place. KITT's garage and technicians should also have that special place, too, I guess. Not too many people care about the semi, because it was just a prop, compared to the star of the show. There isn't much to say about the semi, either.
Perhaps some of the truck drivers who post on this forum might help. On the Airwolf forum (tv-series.com), there is a helicopter pilot who sometimes posts.
Most of the truck drivers are a little busy doing their deliveries as to spend their time on a message board. I think you will find that most of the people on this board are not truck drivers, but replica owners, and the semi just isn't a high priority for them.

Just because you aren't getting the information you want when you want it does not mean that you can get short about it.

KI

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:47 am

Ok, first of all, that's rude, I think you owe KITT an apology. She was just trying to help, and there are just some thoughts you should honestly keep to yourself.
I don't really like that kind of response. If someone asked me for Wolverine's history in Alpha Flight, I would search for that and post links. You can actually try searching for anything on the truck on Google, you'll know what I am talking about. A simple, "It's slightly difficult to find it" was enough.
That's a rather skewed opinion. That's like saying that RC's bike had as much of a special place in Knight Rider. KITT was the center of the show, and the semi was the unit that met him from place to place. KITT's garage and technicians should also have that special place, too, I guess. Not too many people care about the semi, because it was just a prop, compared to the star of the show. There isn't much to say about the semi, either.
I don't agree with that part of RC's dirt bike, though that was also one of my own favourites in the 4'th season. However, it was a bit of a joke, it was an old relic from a garage and made a lot of noise. It was introduced late in the 4'th season and was rarely used.

What carried KITT all around the US? What carries Devon and Bonnie all around? What carries the information and links around? The Foundation Mobile Unit, if you ask me, is more than just a prop. It is more than just something that carries KITT. More special than RC, his bike, or David Dalton (one of my favourite characters in KR).

Most of the truck drivers are a little busy doing their deliveries as to spend their time on a message board. I think you will find that most of the people on this board are not truck drivers, but replica owners, and the semi just isn't a high priority for them.

Just because you aren't getting the information you want when you want it does not mean that you can get short about it.
Well, some of them make web pages. There might actually be a few GMC General drivers who are fans of Knight Rider. They might post a few here. Just like the helicopter pilots on the Airwolf forum. Not just drivers, but also GMC General fans.

Perhaps if there were a few ideas/links/pictures than such orders as "Look on Google", I would not get short about it. Besides, the semi is definitely one of my favourite vehicles in KR. A suggestion like this one would be better.
I tried looking in the Yahoo directories for the division of GMC that manufactures long-haul tractor-trailers, and I wonder if it even exists anymore... all the other major manufacturers had sites up: Volvo, Freightliner, Mack, Peterbilt, but GMC didn't.

If GMC got out of the semi business, I'd nominate the Volvo VN780 to be the new FLAG semi... for a big truck, it looks really nice.
Hmmm.... a Volvo truck would be a lot better than a Galaxy transport aircraft. But would you choose a curved truck design over the box-like General? Or would you need more space? Unless the VN780 is bigger than the General. This might be more of a KR2000 semi than one for KR.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:54 am

Doesn't this look a lot like the good old semi?
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t ... 04_sml.jpg

All that's left is the yellow border paint and the Knight symbol.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:59 pm

Arjun wrote:I don't really like that kind of response. If someone asked me for Wolverine's history in Alpha Flight, I would search for that and post links. You can actually try searching for anything on the truck on Google, you'll know what I am talking about. A simple, "It's slightly difficult to find it" was enough.
I honestly don't care if you like or don't like the response, there was no need to be rude about it. And honestly, if you narrow the search properly and use Google the way it is supposed to be, I am sure that you could find plenty of stuff on it. I know I did, but thanks to your rather rude response to another member on the board, I honestly don't feel like it is worth my time to give you the links. That's how I search for things.
I don't agree with that part of RC's dirt bike, though that was also one of my own favourites in the 4'th season. However, it was a bit of a joke, it was an old relic from a garage and made a lot of noise. It was introduced late in the 4'th season and was rarely used.

What carried KITT all around the US? What carries Devon and Bonnie all around? What carries the information and links around? The Foundation Mobile Unit, if you ask me, is more than just a prop. It is more than just something that carries KITT. More special than RC, his bike, or David Dalton (one of my favourite characters in KR).
What carried KITT all around the US? KITT. KITT only went into the semi when he needed to be fixed. What carries Devon and Bonnie all around? Devon's Mercedes. I didn't ask you, it is as much of a prop as Devon's mercedes, RC's bike, and the Foundation house.
Well, some of them make web pages. There might actually be a few GMC General drivers who are fans of Knight Rider. They might post a few here. Just like the helicopter pilots on the Airwolf forum. Not just drivers, but also GMC General fans.

Perhaps if there were a few ideas/links/pictures than such orders as "Look on Google", I would not get short about it. Besides, the semi is definitely one of my favourite vehicles in KR. A suggestion like this one would be better.
Oh, so now you are into dictating information? Sorry, that won't exactly work around here. It wasn't an order, it was a suggestion. And if you continue to get short, then you won't get any help except from those who like being abused.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:32 pm

The Semi gets hijacked in the 4th season episode "The Wrong Crowd", so that might be a good episode to watch to get a lot of good footage of the truck. It may not give you specific information about the make/model, but it can at least give you some visual details.

(not a good grab I'm afraid)

Larger (and blurrier) version here:
http://teamknightrider.com/survivor/wrong/wrong01.jpg

As far as the Hanks Trucks picture is concerned, I have no idea how similar they are but without the rear cab it just isn't the same/
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:20 pm

Well I personnal think that the semi was a bit more then a prop, but is there really that much to tell?? There was never any real infomation given out on the truck. Maybe when I make a web site I will make a "semi information page" and scan in little hand draw blueprints and have pictures and stuff. In the mean time, sorry I can't help you!

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:13 am

Well I personnal think that the semi was a bit more then a prop, but is there really that much to tell?? There was never any real infomation given out on the truck. Maybe when I make a web site I will make a "semi information page" and scan in little hand draw blueprints and have pictures and stuff. In the mean time, sorry I can't help you!
If you are making a Knight Rider page, can I join you in this plan?

I'll try what I can to find something on the semi, since I'm a big fan of that vehicle. I have even drawn a picture of the Foundation Mobile Unit and might draw another.
As far as the Hanks Trucks picture is concerned, I have no idea how similar they are but without the rear cab it just isn't the same
Someone uses PhotoShop, he can make a few minor changes. Except for the border colour and the absence of the Knight Symbol, it's quite close.