Michael's Home

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:40 pm

I will be so bold as to say the opening voice-over is wrong. Maybe it was valid for a few episodes in Season One since Michael Knight hadn't existed for very long, but after that Michael Knight clearly existed. It might have been better to call him a "man without a past".

Michael Knight could be traced, just not to anything before 1982. By Seasons 3 or 4, the baddies could get several years of dirt on Michael if they wanted to.

There are other shows which really were about men who did not exist: Street Hawk, The Incredible Hulk, The A Team, even Remington Steele. In these shows, the characters actively tried to hide their current identities or whereabouts.

Let me throw it back at people: can anyone give examples of Michael Knight trying to protect his current identity? (aside from obvious undercover operations.) There may in fact be a few, but I think they would be overwhelmed by the amount of times he told people about his job with FLAG. His PAST was a secret, but his present was not.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:36 pm

It was like going from John McClaine (Bruce Willis) to James Bond (Pierce Brosnan). A police officer turned into a secret agent.

By the way Mike, Incredbile Hulk was like The Fugitive (I've never seen the TV series; just the movie with Harrison Ford) where the runaway transforms into a monster. But they're both about guys on the run from someone who would recognize them. They hide out in other towns going by different names while employed there til all hell breaks loose.
Last edited by ColeGrad01 on Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:13 am

I think this comes down to how you see Michael's character. And most characters are open in some ways to the interpretation of the audience. Different people will see the same things in different ways because of their experiences.

Did Michael consider the Foundation family? Yep. He said it a few times. I consider my parents family, and I love them dearly, but I don't want to live with them anymore. Did he call the Foundation home? Yep. He said that a few times too. That could very reasonable be interpreted that he lived there. But I call my parents' house home sometimes and I don't live there.

I don't envision Kitt sitting in some random garage or driveway either. I could seem him dropping Michael off, and heading back to the Foundation for some quality time with Bonnie or recharging his circuits. Michael doesn't need to be there for that.

But he certainly could be.

I see Michael as the kind of person who doesn't like to answer to people. He tolerates answering to Devon about assignments, but I got the impression he didn't like having to answer questions about his personal life. He doesn't even like answering to Kitt (when Kitt has harangued him about his private life). I think he likes to be responsible for himself. And living at the Foundation all the time would mean that he would have to answer to people. Having someone else paying the bills usually means that you're accountable to them. And I just see Michael as the type to want to be free to come and go as he pleases, and to unwind from the Foundation from time to time. He is very dedicated to his job, but given the evidence of all the hobies he has (rock climbing, sailing, etc), I don't think he'd want the Foundation to engulf his life.

It's interesting to see why people come to the conclusions that they do. It's interesting to see how different people view the characters. But in the abscense of direct canon evidence, both sides can have valid points and really it just comes down to interpretation.