KARR and Seatbelts

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KnightCrusader99
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KARR and Seatbelts

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:36 am

I just completed watching KvK on my computer, and I finally picked up on the line where KARR tells John and his g/f that they "should fasten their seatbelts, they're in for a bumpy ride" before going for the bridge pillar. You think this means that for KARR, the prototype, the foundation left the seatbelts in? Or maybe he just used the figure of speech? I just thought it was a little odd, and wanted to point it out.

-Steve

MKnightRider82
Rookie

Post by MKnightRider82 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:40 am

Probably just a figure of speech. But don't know. Never seen that one. Only the first one where the two idiots accidentally bring him out of the Knight Museum.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:42 am

I think the question would be "why would the Foundation REMOVE seat belts in the first place?". Even if your car isn't evil, you're still safer with seat belts so FLAG would just leave them in. KARR was still a Trans Am, and seat belts would be standard issue.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:46 am

Yeah I always wondered about why there was no seat belts anyway in KITT... and their solution? How does a laser restrain you anyway? Another thing I can't figure out. LOL

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:12 am

KITT did have seatbelts... Some racing-style belts appear out of nowhere right in the pilot during the demolition derby.

Times change. Seat belt laws were a lot looser back then (or didn't exist at all) so you didn't see characters buckling up as much. I never wore seat belts growing up, and we would climb back and forth over seats like it was nothing. If you saw that happening today the parent might be arrested for child endangerment.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Re: KARR and Seatbelts

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:07 am

KnightCrusader99 wrote:I just completed watching KvK on my computer.
Hey! Where'd you get that episode! I wanna know! lol

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:45 am

I guess my take on it would be that they hadn't developed Passive Lasar Restraint yet (or airbags for that matter) so seat belts would be the defacto safety devise still in KARR. Of course, in KARR's case, he doesn't care a lick about the safety of his passengers, so probably just a figure of speech.

As for how PLR could work, I think it would have to be something indirect. Lasers basically either make a harmless little dot of light on skin or start burning a hole through it -- there isn't really an inbetween (thank you, laser safety training class :D ). So I think it would have to be something like using a laser as a sensor to tell that a collision is coming and then activate some secondary safety devise. I'm having goofy visions of seatbelts flying through the air and buckling themselves at the last second. Or maybe they would have deployed an early version of an airbag.

All I'm sure not what the writers had in mind. They probably used laser because it's a good futuristic sounding word. One of those physically impossible abilities of Kitt's.

I seem to be arguing both sides of everything this morning. :roll:

Nexus
Recruit

Post by Nexus » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:25 pm

I remember Michael and a passenger fastening the old-style lap belts in one episode - no shoulder straps though. That and the aforementioned racing style belts seem to be all we have to go on as far as KITT and seat belt usage is concerned.

As for seat belt laws, a little research turned up this factoid: "1982 - Mandatory front seatbelt wearing by drivers and passengers, both adult and children, was introduced by the Transport Act of 1981."
Last edited by Nexus on Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:27 pm

Unfortunately, the individual states had different views of the law. The mandatory seatbelt act, for example, didn't go into full force until 1987 in New Mexico. So you have to go deeper than the standard law database, and concentrate on the individual states.

KI

Nexus
Recruit

Post by Nexus » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:36 pm

knightimmortal wrote:Unfortunately, the individual states had different views of the law. The mandatory seatbelt act, for example, didn't go into full force until 1987 in New Mexico. So you have to go deeper than the standard law database, and concentrate on the individual states.
Hence "a little research," emphasis on "little," hee hee. :oops:

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:50 am

i would have to lean more towards the "magical" end of the laser restaraint, since i drove my last car off a mere 1.5 foot drop and nearly dislocated my entire spine, i know that unles SOMETHING was restraining mike, he would have been in the hospital every time he used the turbo boost (well...the times it made KITT jump that is...unlike the times where KITT knew not to jumo and just go faster...like how michael would say "KITT, call devon" and then punch a bunch of buttons anyway...) and since we never saw anything pop out any of those times...