camera angles in kitts monitors how??

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightman
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

camera angles in kitts monitors how??

Post by knightman » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:23 am

g'day, been re-watching the some eps and when michael
asks kitt to play a video they captured like in the ep blind spot ,and he
replays some scense but u always see what we see .. like camera moving along with the action etc ,, how did kitt do that.. if u know what i mean?

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:35 am

Out of all the possible nitpicks and goofs and just plain plot holes that exist in Knight Rider, I have to say that this one is the one that drive me nuts the most. I didn't really let it get to me until the conclusion of "Goliath" where they have that angle from INSIDE the TOP-SECRET government missle base and along the fence from the inside.

I have explained away other things in the show.... this one I can't force myself to accept, I am too stubborn. LOL

Enough with my rambling, and to help answer your question. I think the crew and editors were either too short-budgeted or just plain lazy to actually film shots from believible camera angles, at least that is what I believe.

From the story aspect, some people believe KITT had a magic ESP ability so he could see other positions where no cameras could be. Others joke that he had a little camera bot that could fly around and take pictures like the thing the Defender had in Viper. Actually they did have a flying camera device in one ep (what was the name of that ep?) and it was never seen again during the series.

Oh well, I would have to say it is up to you to come up with an explanation for it. I can't. LOL

knightman
Operative

Post by knightman » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:03 am

yeah that liitle flying thing bonnie made, sid i believe??
i guess its part of knightrider we have all growen with and love, no matter how quirky if u know what i mean :D

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:10 am

it's not a knight rider nitpick really, it's all over tv, even today. it's just something we're obviously not meant to think about :S . look at tkr and it was still being done then.
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:02 pm

I really didn't notice it happening on TKR. Of course when it came to high tech stuff, except weapons, TKR didn't have much of anything. lol

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:09 pm

That little flying thing was S.I.T.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:17 pm

No, it was S.I.D. (Satellite Infiltration Drone)

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:47 pm

My far-fetched suggestion is that the monitors aren't displaying video feeds but rather an extremely well-done computer simulation. KITT scans a car or building with infrared, radar, microwaves, whatever, and then is able to create a 3D model of the scene. He can then place the point-of-view of a virtual camera anywhere.

(I don't believe it either, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.)

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:29 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:My far-fetched suggestion is that the monitors aren't displaying video feeds but rather an extremely well-done computer simulation. KITT scans a car or building with infrared, radar, microwaves, whatever, and then is able to create a 3D model of the scene. He can then place the point-of-view of a virtual camera anywhere.

(I don't believe it either, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.)

Mike
:? :( I was just about to say that! Oh man! lol Oh well. the image is based on KITT creating the full colour 3-D model of the world around him. So basically as I will use rephase what Micheal P. said... Its a 3-D model created from sensor data. Thats now KITT sees, and he can angle the camera anyway he wanted. In the sky even! (Good way for Micheal to check on his driving skills! :D :lol: :lol: ) You see... think of it like this. You have a model village, a KITT toy is in the center of the town. You can look at this model anyway you want, you can open the houses too. Any angle, in the sky, far away, close up... This is now KITT sees. (IMO) He is not limited to the view from the car, he can see anything, in any angle in the world around him.

Benjamin Knight
:spm:

Nexus
Recruit

Post by Nexus » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:46 pm

Interesting theory, guys! :shock: I don't buy it, based on the apparent graphics display capabilities of KITT...there were several instances where KITT would project a computer-generated rendering of other cars or of bodies behind a wall, and these "graphics" were about as good as an Atari 2600. :lol:

I think the writers just got lazy and were depending on a heavy suspension of disbelief on the part of the audience.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:59 pm

Nexus wrote: these "graphics" were about as good as an Atari 2600.
Perhaps, but KITT's graphics were Intellivision, not Atari. Literally.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:01 pm

Your right... lol I was going to say KITT's screens do make for a not so great image. BUT what if Kitt often just show it in the "green mode" (were call it that) to show the dimissions and figures easily (to show more information to MK). Plus it may require a a lot of processing on KITT's part to get the simulation into something MK could see and understand. Supposted to binary code or whatever KITT's AI proccess with! lol :)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:06 pm

Well, I don't think it was the writers fault, but rather the Directors and Producers. Often, the same shot that KITT used on his monitor was the same shot they used during the normal scene. By using the same footage, they only had to shoot once and didn't have the cost of multiple setups and film usage.

To quote from Austin Powers:

Basil (to austin): I suggest you don't worry about those things and just enjoy yourself.

Basil (to camera): That goes for you all, too.

Austin (to camera): Yes.

Nexus
Recruit

Post by Nexus » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:34 pm

Perhaps, but KITT's graphics were Intellivision, not Atari. Literally.
Okay, but ColecoVision dominated both systems, hehe.
Well, I don't think it was the writers fault, but rather the Directors and Producers.
Right-o, my mistake.

They'd also recycle graphics and still images used for KITT's monitor...how many times did KITT display the same darn floor plan when scanning a house? :lol:

All part of the charm, in any case.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:39 pm

well, in star trek, how did they get views away from the ship on their screens?! That always bugged me more than KITT's camera angles
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:50 pm

cloudkitt wrote:well, in star trek, how did they get views away from the ship on their screens?! That always bugged me more than KITT's camera angles
Comm cameras at stations and interal sensors in other places buddy. :lol:

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:06 am

Nexus wrote:They'd also recycle graphics and still images used for KITT's monitor...how many times did KITT display the same darn floor plan when scanning a house? :lol:
Not to mention the number of times KITT scanned stuff... one week it could be dirt, the next week an exotic poison, the week after that a week-old chili dog, but it always shows up as the same exact spinning molecule! :D

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:56 am

Isn't also funny whenever KITT was going some research on people or hacking into things, good ol' BASIC was what printed out? LOL

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:02 am

neps wrote:Well, I don't think it was the writers fault, but rather the Directors and Producers. Often, the same shot that KITT used on his monitor was the same shot they used during the normal scene. By using the same footage, they only had to shoot once and didn't have the cost of multiple setups and film usage.
that and perhaps they didn't know how to go about making a realistic view in the monitors. or, if they did have a realistic view, perhaps would leave the audience with more questions somehow.
neps wrote:To quote from Austin Powers:

Basil (to austin): I suggest you don't worry about those things and just enjoy yourself.

Basil (to camera): That goes for you all, too.

Austin (to camera): Yes.
i love that.. brings you right into the movie. and it's so true, too.

KITT
http://www.dhasselhoff.net
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:32 pm

Benjamin Knight wrote:
cloudkitt wrote:well, in star trek, how did they get views away from the ship on their screens?! That always bugged me more than KITT's camera angles
Comm cameras at stations and interal sensors in other places buddy. :lol:
No, I mean a look at the outside of their ship, from far away! They'd have to launch a little camera that turns back and films
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:16 am

Well I believe that in the 24th century they will have the technology to achieve this, but in the 20th century, it's doesn't work so well for me.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:00 am

Well as I told Cloudkitt in a PM it was done with the ship's sensors. Much as how I believe it was done with KITT. Is there anyone else who agrees with what I said?

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:00 pm

KnightCrusader99 wrote:I really didn't notice it happening on TKR. Of course when it came to high tech stuff, except weapons, TKR didn't have much of anything. lol
it was in a really bad episode... oh wait, i'll have to be more specific... ;) (sorry, couldn't resist) the one where they are fighting a helicopter at the end, one of the cars places a view on their screen that wouldn't be possible, but that's just one show and many more did it, especially in the 80s and 90s, but still today.

the novel "mirror image", the book of the first goliath movie, described dozens (or maybe more, i can't remember) of microscopic cameras hidden all over KITTs body that could see out past his shell through small transparent sections that would be too small for the human eye to see but made invisible by the fact that the pin-prick-sized transparent section of his shell would be heavily tinted from the outside. (if that makes sense, it did when i read it.)

and lets' face it, if the latest bond movie could try to get away with using a similar idea of microscopic cameras for that luricrously far-fetched awful idea of an invisible car then KITT can sure as hell look around him a bit more ;)
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)