Ever think KITT was real?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Stargazer
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Stargazer » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:33 pm

knightimmortal wrote:Back in the 80's, we were light years away from AI, but the thought processes were there. Since then, we have brought it a lot closer to the reality of such, but we are still at least a decade, if not more (*watches as Mike jumps up and down in victory ;) *) away from actual AI. These evoluationary jumps, like the robot, the cars that can park themselves, the vocal integration, are all similar to the evolutionary jump of the HD TV, the cell phone, the digital radio have provided, and before that, their less digital predicessors.

There are strides, and we are on a fast track towards it. We as the general public will probably be decades away from seeing it. The Military is playing with the better stuff, but you are right, we are making the strides. Just slower than most people would want. :)

KI
I have family that thinks that we are heading for the darker days when they see stuff like this being thought of and discussed.

I hope to see a AI one day. That is if I live long enough for that

BTW: I'm sure it has been discussed once before, but was the semi in KR suppose to have an AI? I remember seeing the semi drive itself while RC was doing something else (watching TV or playing a video game. Heck if I can remember).

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:11 am

I think it did, at least in season 4, because there were several times that RC was supposed to be driving the semi, and he was in the back, and then there was the couple of times they mentioned the auto on the semi.

I need to have another KR marathon. I've used up all my sick days at work, somebody call me in as being kidnapped by aliens. ;)

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:35 am

Stargazer wrote: BTW: I'm sure it has been discussed once before, but was the semi in KR suppose to have an AI? I remember seeing the semi drive itself while RC was doing something else (watching TV or playing a video game. Heck if I can remember).
I realize I may be splitting hairs here...

The Semi was able to drive to itself, or at least be able to steer itself. However, I don't want to go so far as to say it had an AI. When we think of AI in Knight Rider terms we think talking cars, and there's no reason to believe that the Semi could talk, think, or do anything else KITT-like. It was simply a dumb truck with a very sophisticated cruise control system.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:15 pm

I read in a fanfic the other day about the semi on auto, RC went into the back to work on his motorbike... The author made it sound like the semi can only follow simple instructions. Like drive around the block 1000 times, etc. In the story at the end KITT programed the semi to fallow him back to the FLAG masion. I would say that the semi has one heck of a auto-plot but no AI like KITT's. The semi could maybe counter act for something suddenly jumping onto the road, and traffic. But as for other things... I don't think so.

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:38 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
Stargazer wrote: BTW: I'm sure it has been discussed once before, but was the semi in KR suppose to have an AI? I remember seeing the semi drive itself while RC was doing something else (watching TV or playing a video game. Heck if I can remember).
I realize I may be splitting hairs here...

The Semi was able to drive to itself, or at least be able to steer itself. However, I don't want to go so far as to say it had an AI. When we think of AI in Knight Rider terms we think talking cars, and there's no reason to believe that the Semi could talk, think, or do anything else KITT-like. It was simply a dumb truck with a very sophisticated cruise control system.
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like that summed it up ! :lol: :lol: :lol: