kitt needing gas?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

djshag69
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

kitt needing gas?

Post by djshag69 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:29 pm

i forget the name of the show in the first season i believe, devon gets pulled over and the cop breaks his tail light and gets him arrested. In that show kitt actually goes for gas with michael, i remember in the first show devon saying kitt is completely fuel efficient, i wonder how many miles to the gallon kitt did get to the mile, and why didn't he need gas in any other episode.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:40 pm

The episode was No Big Thing.

The most likely reason why we never really saw KITT fuel up any other time, is because it is one of those functions that was a cute side line once, but otherwise, it had no real impact on the storyline, a lot like Michael going to the bathroom, or Bonnie brushing her hair. :)

KI

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:14 pm

KI you just put a really weird picture in my head after you last post.
it was a picture of kitt going to the bathroom.

don't ask why.

because i will say I have no clue.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:31 pm

*laughs* At least it wasn't KITT going to the bathroom, brushing his hair.... ;) :lol: :shock:

KI

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:40 pm

Hasn't someone asked this before?? Well it is a good questions. It seems the only reason KITT was running low is becasue he said that Bonnie's driving plan didn't inculde the "200 mile drive MK took with a women" on on the way. :roll: I am sure KITT gets great milage per liter or gallon. Wonder if there was ever a rato created for the show. It may have never been said but you never know. Lots of stuff for Star Trek is created but never used on a show! Hummm... Oh well :lol:

Benjamin Knight
:spm:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:42 pm

Well, I recall in soem 1st season dash shots it shows a guage that reads "100 Gallons" on the top. I just assumed he had a very large tank. But then after the alternative fuel race where he switches to liquid hydrogen, I thought he stayed with that.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

KalEl
Volunteer

Post by KalEl » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:20 am

cloudkitt wrote:Well, I recall in soem 1st season dash shots it shows a guage that reads "100 Gallons" on the top. I just assumed he had a very large tank. But then after the alternative fuel race where he switches to liquid hydrogen, I thought he stayed with that.
100 gallons would be a lot of fuel. The tank built to hold that much would be huge and very visible. Also, being that there are 8 pounds to a gallon, adding 800 pounds of fuel would seriously hamper K.I.T.T.'s turbo boost range and height.

Although, if I were writing the script for the new KR movie, I would make K.I.T.T. come equipped with a cold fusion engine. Just pour some water into the fuel tank and the engine separates the Hydrogen and Oxygen powering the engine with the Hydrogen and sending pure oxygen out the exhaust pipe.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:22 am

I hate to tell you this, but if you wrote that kind of 'cold fusion' script, you'd either be sued by the creators of Back to the Future, or corrected in a rather displeasurable fashion.

Separating water is not cold fusion, not by any stretch of the imagination. It is exactly that, separation, if you want to really push it, fission. (though that deals more with separating the actual Hydrogen atom itself, rather than the separation of the H2O compound)

From the Scientific American:
Cold fusion claims to release measurable energy from fusion reactions at or near room temperature when deuterium is dissolved in a solid, usually palladium metal. The idea, which has its roots in research going back to the 1920s, is that hydrogen and its isotopes can dissolve to such high concentrations in certain solids that the hydrogen nuclei approach closer to one another than even in solid hydrogen. Furthermore, negative electrical charges from the electrons of the solid host partly cancel the repulsion between the nuclei. Early experiments did not detect any signs of fusion, however. Furthermore, modern theoretical calculations show that the proposed effects, while real, are much too small to produce detectable rates of fusion.

As you can see, we haven't even come near it, so the actual concept of cold fusion itself would be a very interesting prospect for a new KITT to run on.

The Water Separation concept...it's easily done. It's become an award winning Science Fair topic.

KI

coolgyger
Volunteer

Post by coolgyger » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:48 pm

Does any one here think about Liquid Hydrogen? Hydrogen has to be supercooled practically down to subzero to turn it into a liquid. Such cooling technology is so MASIVE, the refrigeration unit would be bigger than KiTT. :?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:52 pm

Not necessarily, for the most part, it is a chemical cooling agent to bring it down to a certain level, and all you would need is a certain amount of area to contain the cooling agent itself, for the amount that KITT was potentially using/regenerating, you would probably not need anything any larger than a standard gas tank area.

But it was a good thought. :)

KI

coolgyger
Volunteer

Post by coolgyger » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:55 pm

I thought of this because I always thought of how they use Hydrogen in its liqiud form on the space shuttles, and how it must be cooled to its condensing point. :oops:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:31 pm

Yes, realize that 100 gallons is a lot of gas. But I coulda sworn that I've seen it. Well, SciFI is runnign the 1st season soon, keep an eye out.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:48 am

If you notice the scene on Soul Survivor, when the car slows down and stops, Michael is surprised. Clearly, he's not used to this.

KITT says "The chronic problem with petrol dependent vehicles- We're out of gas!" Seems he's not a petrol car.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:53 pm

Sorry, Arjun, but that's an assumption that that line means that KITT is not a petrol car. Because in the first season, he clearly has to make a gas stop, and later on, he also makes the comment that 100 miles to a gallon of gas would be something he would consider pleasing.

It was stated that KITT could run on any kind of fuel, and that comment was directed at the fact that they were in a 'gas-only' vehicle, and they ran out, not that KITT didn't run on gas. Where KITT's system could have converted any kind of combustible fuel in a hurry, if he did run out of gas.

KI

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:09 pm

Your right KI about the 100 mile per gallon thing, just saw it on a KR yesturday, I was going to post it but you bet me too it... You know way to much about Knight Rider ;) I wish I knew that much... sometimes... Its always nice to see something new though! lol

Benjamin Knight

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:10 pm

Your right KI about the 100 mile per gallon thing, just saw it on a KR yesturday, I was going to post it but you bet me too it... You know way to much about Knight Rider ;) I wish I knew that much... sometimes... Its always nice to see something new though! lol

Benjamin Knight

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:26 pm

lol...she oughta. She helped in the creation of a published book that was ALL ABOUT Knight Rider.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:39 pm

Thats sweet!

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:43 pm

cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!
!!!!
!

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:57 am

What I wanna know is why that old man thought the inlet to the petrol tank was behind the license plate, and not on the side like normal cars? Also, if that IS where KITT refuelled, what happened to it when KITT changed the license plate - did it retract? Or was it removed?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:18 pm

Well, as we have said in previous discussions, some cars of that model year and earlier did have the gas fillup area behind the license plate.

As for how it disappeared when KITT's license plate flipped, I have a theory in the works that KITT's systems were like Lego clusters, and could be moved in a modular fashion to adapt to different areas when another cluster was introduced.
(Or the writers had a bit of a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing syndrome)

KI