Best Performance by an Automobile article (brief KR mention)

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Best Performance by an Automobile article (brief KR mention)

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:25 pm

The Hollywood Reporter had a 4-page article about the new popularity of "car movies". Here's a small section:

"In the works at Pixar for holiday 2005 is the adventure-comedy 'Cars,' directed by John Lasseter. The film will feature a collection of classic automobiles looking for kicks on Route 66. At Sony, "Hot Wheels" - based on Mattel's ubiquitous toy - is in development with McG ('Full Throttle') attached to direct. The studio is also developing 'RPM', featuring a number of high-performance cars racing through the streets of Europe. And 'Knight Rider', yet another TV car show, is in development for a feature film at Revolution, though it's too early to tell who might land the coveted role of KITT, the multitasking vehicular sidekick."
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:55 pm

that sounds like great news. I hope they pick a good car for kitt in the movie, call me old fashioned, actully don't :lol: , but it would put a smile on my face to see the orginal car that all of us watched and still watch today on re-runs

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:19 pm

I'd like to see the original Trans Am make a small cameo- maybe just having in a lab in the beginning of the movie as technicians work on transferring KITT to a newer car - something like that. But I don't think the 82 Trans Am would work as the primary car for new audiences. I think of it this way: when the show first came out, imagine if they installed all that high-tech gear in a 1962 car? It would look a bit out of place. That's how new people might look at a 1982 body today.

Mike

dragonball1957
Operative

Post by dragonball1957 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:56 pm

i got a bad feeling abou the new KR show or series .

it just may not be the same .

i hadnt seen 1 turbo boost in KR2000 movie .

and KITT may not even have the jet turbine sound or the passing sound

"u know" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrinnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:09 pm

Every indication is that the movie will have its roots in the original series. I expect pretty much zero influence from Knight Rider 2000, Knight Rider 2010, or Team Knight Rider.

I don't expect it to be the same, nor should it be. I don't want to see an 80s television plot re-created on the big screen. I'd like to see the franchise to evolve into something new which we can enjoy on a different level - not better, just different. I expect to have a lot of fun when the movie comes out, but I would be shocked if I had the same fondness I had for the original. So I'm prepared for that.

There are lots of things to "worry" about- the casting, what kind of car they're going to use, etc. But turbo boosts? I have absolute confidence they'll be in the movie.

Mike

dragonball1957
Operative

Post by dragonball1957 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:24 pm

i know what u mean , it just feels so lonley when the faces u loved are gone , like KITT .

I hope the car is at least black . and not a 4x4 . i want an aerodynamic car

and some Speed mode like SPM . I cant get enough . Even if the has to speed up the footage like the classic :shock:

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:25 pm

for me as long as they don't change kitt in how he behaves I am fine with what ever

dragonball1957
Operative

Post by dragonball1957 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:35 pm

u damn right

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:15 pm

...it may be cliche on this board...but I'd love to see KITT simply as a modern Trans Am
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Meow
Volunteer

Post by Meow » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:41 pm

I think if its a lot different, I won't watch it. Only for the simple fact that I dont want to tarnish the memories with crap. Shows these days really stink. I dont think they can recreate the "magic".

knightman
Operative

Post by knightman » Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:39 pm

i like the look of a trans am , not sure what year its based on but some one did in photo shop or something, knight driver did or someone clever like him and they had a really cool simple but effective looking modern day dash pic and i recon it wold work as for turbo boost, they wouldnt have to use many cars, if u watch the making of gone in 60 seconds with nic cage they use a real car for the jumping and landing parts over the bridge , but for the dangerous or expensive stuff they use cgi,and to be honest who could tell the diff??

Id like to see a modern day adventure , as long as its well thought out and not butcherd like kr2k was,

oh also funny how kr inspired alot of block buster movies these days ie one man making a difference ( and alot of mess along the way)

comets78
Rookie

Post by comets78 » Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:48 pm

as long as DH is MK and Willaim Daniels? think i spell his last name right :) is the voice of kitt i really dont care what kind of car the use:) although somewhere along the line of a trans am would be nice to see

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:53 pm

Meow wrote:I think if its a lot different, I won't watch it. Only for the simple fact that I dont want to tarnish the memories with crap. Shows these days really stink. I dont think they can recreate the "magic".
This is how I look at it: my memories of the original were not tarnished by Knight Rider 2000, Knight Rider 2010, or Team Knight Rider. If anything, I think we can risk tarnishing our memories by going back and rewatching the original TV shows. Sometimes we can lose the magic when we look back when we're older and start to see all of the flaws which we never noticed back then.

For me, the movie can't take anything away from the original series.