KITT's Audible Scanner Noise

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Darknight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Darknight » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:45 pm

The whoosh was always a part of KITT's scanning motion. The characters would have heard it constantly. As KI said, they would have tuned it out. Now, the sound editors had the scanning sound emphasized at certain times for the viewer's sake, as when KITT was scanning something especially important, or when he was expressing emotion. To the characters, the sound would have been no different at this time.

The actors, however, probably had to imagine the sound as it was written in the script.

DK

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:56 pm

when KITT was scanning something especially important, or when he was expressing emotion. To the characters, the sound would have been no different at this time.
Are we sure the sound wouldn't have been louder at this time?

I would have thought that with more power going into scanning the sound might have increased...or if Kitt was using the sound to express himself it might have been louder?
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:23 am

KITT's scanner seems to have sped up rather at certain crucial times. If anything, the scanner sound would go faster, but not necessarily louder. The increase in power going to the infrared scanning projector would not have made the thing louder.

DK

Ghost-Unmade
Rookie

Post by Ghost-Unmade » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:48 am

But what about all those times when, for the audience at least, the scanner was completely silent? Maybe that supports the idea that the scanner only made the sound at all when he was scanning something, or "expressing emotion" (I tend to think he was just making clear that he wasn't going to dignify a given comment with a response ;))

Oh, and by the way, this all complete speculation. We are in fact talking about a fictional tv show. Just in case we were forgetting. ;)

Ghost

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:16 pm

Ghost-Unmade wrote: Oh, and by the way, this all complete speculation. We are in fact talking about a fictional tv show. Just in case we were forgetting. ;)

Ghost
*Female Barney Fife voice* Well gollllly gee, thank ya for letting us all know that, some of us have been here talkin for an eternity (two years or more) about somethin' we all thought was real. :roll: :lol:

KI

Ghost-Unmade
Rookie

Post by Ghost-Unmade » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:15 am

You're Barney Fife voice sounds more like Gomer Pyle. And I can't help it if I spent enough time in Myst chatrooms to realize that some peoples reality/fantasy dividing line is a little blurry.

Ghost

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:00 pm

Let's get a little something straight here, before you start judging the community members about their reality/fantasy lines blurring? Get to know the community first. Very few (if any) of the long time posters here have that problem.

This isn't Myst. This is Knight Rider. Two VERY different communities.

KI

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:30 pm

KITT's scanning and noise, and it's reaction to its environment is interesting. When it speeds up and the noise gets faster it seems more high pitched and whinny, which gives off the feeling to me of anxiety or something, which isn't an emotion I would think a supercar like KITT would have. In that respect, it seems like a wrong method to convey emotion through.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:40 pm

I agree, of course, I am the same person who always thought that maybe KITT's scanner should change color to help convey his emotions, sort of like a mood ring. *ducks from the rocks*

KI

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:45 pm

Ha, funny, cause I was trying to think if they didn't use the speed of the scanner what could they use, and changing colors is what came to mind. But I quickly dismissed it because I thought it would be recieved bad and people would mock it (read: you :)) Interesting how we both thought alike.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:56 pm

I can't be a b*tch 24/7, I have to have my human moments. :p

Besides, I always thought that KITT needed a little more than 'swoosh-swoosh' to convey his emotions.

KI

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:49 pm

Like raising his headlights in surprise :-)
:spmgo:
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:12 pm

scanner should change color to help convey his emotions, sort of like a mood ring
This is turning into an interesting thread, because Kitt always claims to not have emotion, and yet as people have already stated.. he does clearly show emotion.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:19 pm

aussieknight wrote:Like raising his headlights in surprise :-)
Hahahahahaha, I like it!

(no not really, don't hurt me)
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:31 pm

aussieknight wrote:Like raising his headlights in surprise :-)
That seems more of something that would happen when kitt was excited.

Ghost-Unmade
Rookie

Post by Ghost-Unmade » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:02 pm

knightimmortal wrote:Let's get a little something straight here, before you start judging the community members about their reality/fantasy lines blurring? Get to know the community first. Very few (if any) of the long time posters here have that problem.

This isn't Myst. This is Knight Rider. Two VERY different communities.

KI
Uh-huh. Figured that would be your reaction. You seem to get into alot of these meaningless little quibbles. Usually because you would rather be argumentitive than courteious, or even sociable.

Well ya ain't worth arguing with as far as I'm concerned sweetie. Just so you know.

Have a nice day :D

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:25 pm

Oh yes, masta, thank you for showing me the error in my ways, masta.

Thank you soooo much for marching right on in here and insulting the community saying that they are dillusional, and can't tell reality from fiction, masta.

Thank you soooo much for judging me without even knowing me, masta, and for calling me sweetie, aren't I just such a fortunate little thing?

Thanks for letting me know that I ain't worth arguing with, and go out of your way to bring yourself into focus again after the thread had gotten back on track to....what...argue with me? To show me who is boss? Thank you masta....

I shall file that all away all with all the hypocritical arrogance that I have seen on this board throughout the years.

I think that this thread is entitled to get along with its regularly scheduled programming unless it is uncourteous and unsociable to do so.

KI

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:30 pm

I don't really believe that barb was necessary, Ghost. She was defending us from being accused of blurring reality lines, which, I, for one, appreciate. We're quite capable of distiguishing between fantasy and reality, except for those of us that have psychological problems that involve voices that only they hear.

We're quite capable of telling the difference between real and fake, they were just having a good discussion of Kitt's expressions, as best a car can have them. Speculation can be fun, and that's just what this is.

Rusti
[Rus] What makes you think you've got what it takes to tame me anyway?
[Beast] ~sly naughty grin~ Experienced handling.

--From RP
DevArt: http://rusti-knight.deviantart.com

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:34 pm

do you guy enjoy picking on one another can't you let some thing slide. you guy might find out that you are a lot happier more of the time

ps just a little sujestion

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:36 pm

To whom are you referring, Nivek?

And next, I think you might want to subscribe to staying out of it unless you want to accelerate it.

KI

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:37 pm

Uh-huh. Figured that would be your reaction. You seem to get into alot of these meaningless little quibbles.
K.I. is only responding to your comments, which ,I might add, made some rather unflattering assumptions over the whole Knight Rider community.

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:40 pm

To whom are you referring, Nivek?
I am talking to everyone in clueding my self

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:44 pm

do you guy enjoy picking on one another can't you let some thing slide. you guy might find out that you are a lot happier more of the time
You may be happy to let people cast judgment over you and say your reality lines a blurred. But I'm not.

I'm glad KI said what she did, and I'm glad Rusti put her ten cents worth in too.

this is what self-moderating is all about....someone says something out of line, they get pulled up for it by the other members.

And that ladies and gentlemen...was MY ten cents worth....if it was worth even that? :)

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:57 pm

Rockatteer wrote:
You may be happy to let people cast judgment over you and say your reality lines a blurred. But I'm not.

I'm glad KI said what she did, and I'm glad Rusti put her ten cents worth in too.

this is what self-moderating is all about....someone says something out of line, they get pulled up for it by the other members.

And that ladies and gentlemen...was MY ten cents worth....if it was worth even that? :)

I understand what you are saying and i would not say what I am saying if it didn't happen every time someone says something to right someone when they get a fact wrong are even insalt you hell if I would take everything people seresly I would of been in more fight back in shcool then what i can count. It seem it happen way too much around here and no i have not been a part of very many of these type of web sites but the few I have there is a lot les anger what ever you wont to call it.

ps this not not to make any one mad it is just what I see that well make this a little less volotal

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:04 am

The scary thing is that many of the NEW posters DO have the fantasy/reality line blurred. I still get asked "was KITT real?" And we certainly have seen our fair share of stup-, I mean, "naive" questions asked around here.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com