Knight Rider game Review--Warning!! Spoilers Included

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Industry
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Industry » Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:38 am

Well, I bought the game today, and played about five levels so far. In the menu it shows that there are 15 levels in total. The game in normal mode is too easy, I've played those five levels in about 2 hours time. Hopefully it will get more difficult.

About gameplay, honestly, it sucks. KITT is uncontrolable. I love racing games and I think I'm pretty good at controlling these computer simulated cars, but this one is totally out of control. You can't feel the car. When you're driving straight ahead and want to make a slight turn, then just tapping the left or right button won't help you at all! KITT will not respond. You will have to hold down the button for a while and then KITT suddenly turns like crazy! I've had difficulty even trying to get into the semi!
Turbo boost is cool, but only if you're positioned well, and like I said, that's difficult with these controls. Ski Mode looks ridiculous. I haven't been able to use SPM yet because Bonnie didn't install it yet. But I'm really afraid to use it!

Then the game itself. The levels so far are build up nicely. First you have to test all of KITT's functions and get used to the controls. Then you can get right into action with a high speed chase, a bank robbery, some investigation... but it's all too easy. Every step is laid out in front of you. Maybe it will change later on in the game. I hope so.

Well, I'm back to playing the game now. 'Cause even though you really might to have to think twice about buying this game, I still get a thrill of controlling KITT! WHOOHOO!! Yeah buddy! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ November 09, 2002: Message edited by: knightimmortal ]

Mikko L
Rookie

Post by Mikko L » Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:31 am

The game was too short.. played it through in few hours and thought: "this is it?".
SPM was cool but to tell the truth, in my opinion the game sucked. The controls were really bad.. you couldn't feel the car. It would have been cool to do those 'handbrake' turns but instead of that you had to slow the car down to turn fast.

It wasn't the worst game I have played but could have been better. I think this game would have been better in GTA -engine. [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] It's still the best KR game there is. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

...well, waiting for a sequel [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:38 am

I was afraid of this......

Skav

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:51 am

Yeah, im not a pessimist but i had a strong feeling this would be the case. So far every review i've read of the game is a bad one. I guess the only thing to do is to wait for the release over here in the states and take it for a test run.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:06 am

Before anyone pans the game please note that games cater for people in different ways!!!
As Knight Industry said they play lots of car simulated games and this one just happens to be a little different from others they have played.
There's also the hardcore player that play games non stop and hide themselves away till the games are complete.
Then there's the gamer who buys a game for the sheer hell of it and may like the look of the front box or a particular interest in the genre or the images on the back of the box...and knowing that this gamer is not a constant player he/she may find it more of a challenge.
So for i think people who have not got the game yet should still keep an open mind, till they see it and play it for themselves...though i am still interested to see who else has played it and there thoughts on it.
I also cant wait for this release, and i think coz im such a fan of Knight Rider that aspect will always make me want to say good things about it lol

K.I.T.T

Sonicfreak
Recruit

Post by Sonicfreak » Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:22 am

I played the game today and I finished it in a couple of hours. The game is very easy and you the controls are different from other race games but not that bad. I think the game is easy to keep it playable for a large audience.
The game didn't meet my expectations, but it's still great to drive KITT. Just check the game for yourself and see if you like it.

KIFT
Recruit

Post by KIFT » Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:14 pm

I Dont Know If The KR Game has been realised in Portugal and i would like to know if in the game you can drive kitt with SPM when you want too, and what you have to do in the final level and what happens when you finish the game, do you see a movie or something like that?

BabsBunny
Rookie

Post by BabsBunny » Sat Nov 09, 2002 5:22 pm

Hey, in regards to the actors' voices...does KITT talk as well? And if so, does he sound anything like William Daniels? Ya gotta have the accent, man.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Knight Industry
Volunteer

Post by Knight Industry » Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:28 am

All the characters talk in the game. And although they're clearly not the real voices I think they've done a pretty good job with it. KITT sounds fine.

I'm playing the game at HARD difficulty now and I must say it's more of a challenge now. The handling of KITT still is poor but once you get used to it, it's allright.
So, that's a bit more positive already!

KIFT
Recruit

Post by KIFT » Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:32 am

Why dont the lucky guys who already own the game dont take pictures?
And by the way i own a P II 250 Mhz and a my Graphic card is a Matrox with 8mb will KR Game run in my pc?

Sonicfreak
Recruit

Post by Sonicfreak » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:05 am

No it won't run smoothly.

Minimal PC specs: PIII 450, 64MB, 16Mb 3D graphics card, soundcard.

KIFT
Recruit

Post by KIFT » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:09 am

ups sorry i own a P II450, RAM 128, 8 mb 3D graphics and a soundcard i think it will work but sadly with a resolution of 800X600.
I DOnt care either because what really metters is to play the game ho yhea.:P

KIFT
Recruit

Post by KIFT » Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:24 am

Waiting for a pc demo to see if it works fine but i heard it wont come out but just saw in KR game faq this Will there be a demo for pc players? If so: when it is ready for download?
There will be a PC demo, not a PS2 demo (at least not in the near future), it should be out around the EU launch of KR.

This is good news for all the people not living in Europe. It will probably first come with magazines, and internet afterwards.

Will the game is out but no demo [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

Knight Industry
Volunteer

Post by Knight Industry » Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:06 am

WOW, how about that Super Pursuit Mode! The car is too fast! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] I can't control it, keep on crashing into everything! Guess I'll just have to keep trying. Still haven't finished the game. Difficulty at HARD really isn't that easy. At least, for me. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:08 am

I have an opinion of my own about the game.I realy like the levels it kinda brings you a feeling like this would be kitt in the same body as in the 80's but living in the 90's.Don't ask how all the characters remained young or in one case still alive.The movie clips are pretty awesome.But then theres the bad part.The controls are like driving a big concreat block on a hoverpad.Turbo boost is fun.I've turbo boosted over the semi a few times.Ski mode is hard to control cause kitt keeps turning in the side while trieing to move straight.I wish kitt's laser would have been used in he game.I even know which episodes they researched for the game.A few to mention are Goliath,Goliath returns,Knight of the phoenix,Trust doesnt rust,and kitt vs karr.You kinda have to jump from platform to platform to get to certain areas in cities and stuff.Which is pretty hard to turbo.But the function is great for clearing a lng distance like when we want to get there before time runs out sorta like the knigh rider nintendo game..The good part is that when we turboo boost in some areas we see multiple views.Like chasing a bad guy I had to turbo over an oil rig.When we hit a mine kitts voice modulator actualy moves when in the dash camera view,which is hard to control.Spm mode allows kitt to go from top speed of 130 to a whopping 189.I enjoyed certain parts of the game more then others.Like beating the crap out of Goliath,racing karr to save Bonnie.Yes She gets kidnapped yet again.Geez,she should come with her own ransom note.I wish the heads up display would have gone into the dash view monitor bank like how the dash view turns everything green to the regular meters we see in kitt.All in all this an excellent game and I hope more people buy it.The one reason I say this is because I know Davilex went above the call of duty when they were going for that true knight rider feeling in missions and storyline.I rae this game a 8 out of 10.

Sonicfreak
Recruit

Post by Sonicfreak » Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:06 pm

I have beaten the game on easy and normal mode. The game has some minor mistakes, but if you ignore them the game is great. It really brings back memories. The game is much better than the other racing games by Davilex. It is a 100% improvement. It really is. I can recommend the game to everyone despite the little mistakes in the game.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:07 am

"Ski mode is hard to control cause kitt keeps turning in the side while trieing to move straight"

That's quite a realistic effect because you always see the stunt driver trying to control the car when it's on it's side in the show. I guess they're trying to make you attempt to do the same thing here.

And 189 mph in SPM??? that's pretty slow compared to the 300 mph he went in the show.

Skav

Ghost Rider LSOV
Rookie

Post by Ghost Rider LSOV » Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:26 am

Well, I imagine that if KITT went with 300, the turns would be even harder.

I still haven't got the game (not out here yet). [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]
When I do I will write a review as well.
A question though, comparable to the need for sales...correction...need for speed series, is controlling KITT harder? And one last thing, can you control the steering with a mouse? Analog steering usually helps more in some cases.

Jonathan
Recruit

Post by Jonathan » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:54 am

Yeah i have an AMD K6-2 380 mhz
A 16mb 3DFX voodoo banshee
RAM 192

The game don't run very well ; sometimes it's realy slow ... [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

I hope Santa Claus will give to me a new computer [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

PS : No i don't think KR the game is bad , just shortly , and I think KITT is not uncrontrable , you can set the sensivity of the keyboard ...

Knight Industry
Volunteer

Post by Knight Industry » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:25 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ghost Rider LSOV:
<STRONG>
A question though, comparable to the need for sales...correction...need for speed series, is controlling KITT harder? And one last thing, can you control the steering with a mouse? Analog steering usually helps more in some cases.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the need for speed games and KITT is much harder to control, where NFS tries to be as realistic as possible this game doesn't even come close. But you'll get used to it. It makes the game a lot more difficult. I screwed up some missions because I couldn't get into the semi in the end. I got there on time, but I totally messed up when trying to ride on the ramp. I ended up flipped over next to the semi! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

And no, you can't control it with your mouse.

Ghost Rider LSOV
Rookie

Post by Ghost Rider LSOV » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:13 am

Well...the latest nfs was quite an arcade experience, no dash and all, controls were more arcade then ever I think. Anyways, back to topic, you said you also have a time limit to reach the semi? That's kinda weird...Can't Devon and Bonnie wait a little bit? Or maybe you are doing ice-cream deliveries and they might melt? [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Knight Industry
Volunteer

Post by Knight Industry » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:00 am

No, you had to bring back some data to the semi which was downloaded into KITT's computer but there was a virus in it! And you had to reach the semi in time so Bonnie could fix it!

Ghost Rider LSOV
Rookie

Post by Ghost Rider LSOV » Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:03 am

So...if I got it right, KITT gets a virus in him? Argh...why Bonnie hadn't thought of that?

Ghost Rider LSOV
Rookie

Post by Ghost Rider LSOV » Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:26 am

"C'mon buddy! Let's get back before Bonnie's antivirus trial version ends! I knew we had to give her the 20 bucks to install the normal version...you can't trust your own mechanics anymore."
"We got 35 seconds for that Michael, we won't make it..."
"Don't worry pal! There's the semi, now if I just steer right...hey! what's going on?" *KITT misses the semi, the time expires*
"Michael, let's sing!"
*KITT starts singing and driving around with a music tune*
Or maybe the virus is something more like bzzzzttt-tzewwww... [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ November 12, 2002: Message edited by: Ghost Rider LSOV ]

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:02 pm

With all the treads around the board on the game i was not sure which one to post in so i did a search and picked this one lol...ok i have completed the game...after having it for ages...due to me not being able to play it coz i had not updated my drive for my graphics card lol.

Apart from a view minar pointers the game play i thought was GREAT!
KITT i think needed a lot more detail....he had grey windows?? whats up with that? The body work goes from plush black to dull grey which we saw in the beta of the game on the run up to its release.
The driving sequences are great!!! i think it is just great crusing down the dusty desert roads!!! Good note on that Davilex. The surrounding buildings were very well done!!...i think it builds more authenisity around the game. The voices were good!!! aspeshlery Devon and KARR.
Now let me get into the game a little bit more.....the missions were just too easy for you to complete! Though playing the other stages...med or hard, may change that factor. I was only really challanged 3 times while playing the game from start to finish.
I have seen many reports from people giving there verdict and i cant see why people think its just complete pants!! well i say i cant...if you are a DIE HARD 100% complete Knight Rider Nerd!! i think you will really enjoy this game and all the features you can play with!! But if you are not such a big fan ...then i dont see you getting your moneys worth out of it.
Matthew i have to agree with you and K.A.R.R. on the point of Night Vison...you have it..but there is no level to use it???? Waste of time having it in...when they could have used another feature like a mission in which you use the grab hook or oil slick.
The video sequnces are PUCKER!!!! they show great detail and i must say my fav is the video seq of KITT and KARR at the end!!!
What does the game lack?? it lacks more missions a proper ending and more attetion to detail on KITT.
But it has to be said..i really did enjoy the game and i only wish some other game company will pick up where Davilex left of and make a second for us all. Its a shame Davilex will not be making games anymore.....but it was a great effort and great fun to play i rate this game 80% out of 100%

Rock on Knight Rider.

K.I.T.T