I thought kitt could not be damaged?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knicks4973
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knicks4973 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:41 pm

For the most part, KITT is virtually indestructable. KITT even says it himself in Trust Doesn't Trust when comparing himself to KARR. However, as we've seen, he has taken damage on the outside, even with the MBS. Without that MBS, KITT would have been nothing in Junk Yard Dog after drowing in the toxic waste. KITT's underside, I believe, was loosely protected, since it would be hard for someone to damage KITT from underneath. In Slammin Sammy's Stunt Spectatular Show, there is a scene where a guy is trying to get underneath KITT and KITT wouldn't let him. If his underside was protected, he wouldn't need to protect himself, which he did. And when the bomb blew up underneath, his muffler was shot.

Let's be realistic here. If his underbody was protected by the MBS, there would be no way to fix his shocks or brakes. That's why when the missile hit his exaust in KOTD, he suffered damaged because nothing was protected.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: One more thing

Post by jup » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:42 pm

Allen wrote:We'll never get to see new episodes of KR (from a pretend season 5 and beyond), we only have the four seasons. It's just too bad, I think.
Don't count out where fan fictions could go, someday. Sure. They won't be official. But, remember that technology just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper and cheaper as time marches on. Right now, the high end graphics seen in enough movies and some shows have a fairly high price tag on them and are complex. But, a number of years down the road, such graphics may be obtainable on $300 art programs that run on Pentium 5's. Plus, if the artificial voice people ever produce some incredibly realistic sounding voice synthesizers, (Let's face it. What I've heard my latest PC read off in vocals sounded WAY TOO CLOSE to what my C-64 could do. Some great work is really needed in this field.) full (and realistic) CGI fan fiction episode/movies could be generated by the novice writer/artist. If the programs work like I suspect them to, making such a movie should be pretty easy point-and-click stuff, once all the character actors, props and background sets are built. (Of course, most can be recycled for use in each movie/episode by multiple people.) Like a version of that KITT designed for the Vice City game. (For example.)

Once the technology and the easy to use tools are there, I suspect we may see quite a few "fan movies" come around. Might take five to ten years, though.

And, welcome to the KRO community.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:49 pm

Knicks4973 wrote:Let's be realistic here. If his underbody was protected by the MBS, there would be no way to fix his shocks or brakes.
KITT's underside has been used to "disarm" a couple explosive devices. So, it must of been protected. (Because, you wouldn't park a regular car over such a device and expect it to retain a floor.)

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:52 pm

Let's be realistic here. If his underbody was protected by the MBS, there would be no way to fix his shocks or brakes. That's why when the missile hit his exaust in KOTD, he suffered damaged because nothing was protected.
What?? :shock:

Have you forgotten about the times Kitt has driven over an explosive device to contain the explosion??

If the underside were not protected by the MBS he would have been history.

In some low angled shots you can see a protective shell on Kitts underside. Now in reality this was because they started using models etc…. but it would make sense to enclose the underside of the car with some sort of removable MBS coated panel…. Removable to allow for repairs/replacement of parts, MBS coated to protect Kitts “more sensitive area”
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:07 pm

And don't forget, shock absorbers and such unbolt. No reason why most of the underbody parts couldn't have been MBS coated or covered. Sump guards are common, so no reason why KITT shouldn't have had a MBS one, for example.
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:47 am

Rockatteer wrote:I always thought she was getting it on with Kitt. :shock:
Would explain why Kitt was always cheerful. :lol:

Tony ONeill
Volunteer

Post by Tony ONeill » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:54 am

Hi guys, I have just been reading through this thread. I see there is quiet a lot of different views. what I dont understand is when KITT was pulled out of the Acid Pit, everything was gutted, all his protection was gone, everything eaten by the acid, I mean everything.

This is where I get confused it took all the paint off, and eat the inside of the car, all this was supposed to be protected, then why is it the only thing apart from the shell that was left, was the tyres, these were still intact even after the molecular bonding was gone?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:53 pm

Rubber is inert, therefore acid does not eat through it, it can destabilize it's molecular cohesion, but it won't eat it as readily as metal. Now, the big nitpick of that one is....nice metallic shell that survived, don't you think? The MBS might have protected it, but then, basically, it was part of the paint as well, so....rather confusing episode.

And actually, the views don't differ all that much on this, just mostly additions to the whole concept.

KI

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:37 pm

Let's not forget the amount of money that KITT costed. Though the Foundation liked to make KITT seem like a modified T/A with original stock skeleton, Wilton Knight could very well have had his most trusted engineers remake KITT's frame out of any custom alloy, without giving anyone else the full information. Imagine having a skeleton made of some combination of titanium, tungsten, platinum and perhaps palladium. Now imagine they coated that in pure MBS, and then imagine they coated that in a paint mixture that contained MBS. It'd be darn tough, and hard for any acid to eat through.

The exhaust system could have been made, though apparently it wasn't, in such a way as to allow normal exhaust flow, yet to break up and cancel out the shockwaves caused by detonation of the missile.

DK

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:33 pm

So basically you are trying to say that KITT has an Adamantium
skeleton of sorts?

I can see that.

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:49 pm

but then please tell me why he would have gotten damage when he hit goliath. the reason I say this is because if he was made out of some thing like what you guys are saying I would think that he would of gotten away with a lot less damage

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:41 pm

To answer both your questions...yes, sort of, and no, not necessarily, haha. The elements I mentioned would make for a skeleton of immense strength and resistance to corrosion. Yet, it would not be totally indestructible, as is Adamantium. The hood is a weak area by nature, simply by the shape of the structure. Geometrically, wide flat areas are easier to dent in than triangulated areas, or areas with more support in general. Thus, the flat hood of KITT could be smashed in by the MBS and weight of Goliath(though nothing else could damage KITT from the outside in), and the cockpit could retain its shape because it has better structural support.

The MBS grill of Goliath was equal to the strength of KITT's shell, and KITT's shell was stronger than his skeleton. Therefore, since Goliath was able to overcome the MBS, he could also overcome the skeleton. Yet, the hit was not direct enough to totally flatten KITT, and as I said, the cockpit has more support than the hood anyway, because it's a less flat shape.

There you have it - a skeleton that wasn't indestructible, but close to it.

DK

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:48 pm

I'd just like to add that a fully bullet-proof interior wouldn't have sustained the damage it did in the episode KITTnap. Bad guys shoot down into the seats, and shoot holes everywhere.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:28 pm

Did Goliath have the MBS in the first encounter in the desert?

If I remember it correctly Kitt got pretty busted up just from being clipped and rolling? I wouldn’t have thought a simple spin and roll would do any damage to Kitt at all?

:shock:
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:53 pm

Goliath did have MBS when he first encountered KITT, unless my memory drastically deceives me.

DK

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:58 pm

Yes, Goliath had full MBS in every encounter with Kitt, the reason Kitt got smashed up, I always figured, was Goliath was like 3 times bigger then Kitt, also heavier, any car running into a just plain old semi gets turned all but into a pan cake, only makes sense that a car with MBS, facing a semi with MBS would basically result in the same thing happening.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:10 pm

Unless, with KITT's front end, Goliath ran straight over the top of his bonnet. There's been ocurrances of that happening before.
:kittspin:

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:45 am

OK. Who's been submitting replies and then deleting them? ;-)

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:55 am

aussieknight wrote:Unless, with KITT's front end, Goliath ran straight over the top of his bonnet. There's been ocurrances of that happening before.
:kittspin:

Yes, but, in the goliath episoides where Kitt takes Goliath head on, when Kitt hits, you don't see Goliaths front wheel raise and then come back down like it had rolled on top of him then off, all you see is Kitt hitting, and then spinning out of control off to the side.

:spmgo: :kittspin:

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:33 pm

neps wrote:So basically you are trying to say that KITT has an Adamantium
skeleton of sorts?

I can see that.
Damn! That's what I was gonn say 8)