What do you think of pontiac now?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What do you think of pontiac now?

Post by ramon88us » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:01 am

I think pontiac is starting to suck because they stopped making the firebird and the new gto doesnt look anything like the original.
Then theres that ugly astek.

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:57 am

The Aztek is getting canned in '04, from what I heard. I have to admit, I find myself strangely attracted to that car, but it's like as soon as I stare at it more, that thing was over-designed and made to look too futuristic.

It does suck and blow that the F-body has gone away, but there's an article I was reading about the new '04 and '05 Mustangs and the CEO or chief designer guy (whatever) was saying, in a nutshell, that the reason the F-body style cars failed was because they veered from the original look and "feel" that started the trend. With the 'stangs, they are keeping a lot of the older styling, just modernizing it (which in some things can be bad).

I can honestly say that I am willing to give the GTO a chance. It does look and sound like a great car, but since the Firebird was axed, I have lost a lot of interest in Pontiac solely because of this fact. Matter of fact, all I can really think of when it comes to Pontiac is Minivans and Firebirds (not to mention those awesome concept cars).....help me out here, what else did they make?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:19 am

I should be picking up a new Pontiac Grand Prix next month. It's no Firebird, but it's not a bad car for a sedan. This is not a highpoint of Pontiac's history, but I haven't given up on them yet.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

SlamminSammy
Volunteer

Post by SlamminSammy » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:33 am

Another reason I read about the F-Body demise was that it was costing GM more to make the Camaro and Firebird than they were selling them. So basically, I think it came down to costs and sales. The Mustang sold much more than the F-bodies combined.

Still, those LS1 Trans Ams had more character than any Mustang GT, any day...

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:17 pm

I never liked pontiac other then the treans am and the only reason that I like those is that is what kitt and karr is.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:36 pm

I HATE the Aztek.

I can't believed they scrapped both the Camaro AND the firebird...

The 2001 version of both those cars was AWESOME. I mean, I really loved the 2001 Firebird.
Or that 2001 Trans Am Formula. *drools*

And they replaced it with that useless chick-car the Sunfire :x (no offense to any girls here)

My favorite sports car award still lies on the Dodge Viper and probably always will. But the Firebird was a damn nice car!
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:33 pm

the dodge what? joking any way the car I like is the Jaguar XJ 220.
But i do thank the dodge viper is cool. no hard feeling but it would lose in a race vsing the XJ220.

ps. I do like the camaro too.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:46 am

Oh no!!! Not lose in a race to the Jag!!! There's more to life than speed, Kevin. Take all those people who want a KITT replica. Not because they go faster than everything else out there, but mainly because of the pose value. Believe me, you can only go so fast for so long before the Boys in Blue get ya.
:kittspin:
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:24 pm

that is true but the thing about that is I was not talking about in speed I should have made my self more clear on this I was talking about in 0-60
I could care less for speed. but between the xj-220 and a replica of kitt i would choose kitt hands down.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:20 am

you can only go so fast for so long before the Boys in Blue get ya.
And there speaks the voice of experience.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:22 am

There's more to life than speed, Kevin
Yeah!... theres.... um..... oh and..... errrr..... hmmmm....

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:21 pm

Not to veer off-topic too much here, but every since the Viper came out, yeah its a great car, but when you hear and see so much about them, I guess the only thing left is to actually get behind the wheel of one in order to re-new the experience of "Wow! It's a Viper." Lately, when I see it's just, "Oh, it's a Viper."

My love for the Viper has fizzled to a common like. I find myself attracted to cars that lack luxuries for BIG engines and horsepower! I'd choose a 500-hp classic than a 140-hp Lexus with seat warmers and "climate control" anyday!

So basically, the classics are my vote....unlesss its an '82 Trans-Am converted to look like our favorite super-car... :D

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:41 pm

That is why I like the xj-220 so much because you will never see one here in the USA or should most likely will never see one.
ps I do like the 1960 cobra!
But I still will take kitt!

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:21 pm

nivek wrote: ps I do like the 1960 cobra!
1960 Cobras are nice....I'd prefer this car tho....

http://www.sandersonsales.com/images/gt ... rsnake.htm

And they are selling these cars!!!! It says $150,000 investment, so I'm not sure if that's the actual price of the car.......

nivek
FLAG Recruit

Post by nivek » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:51 pm

that is a vary nice car!
it almost reminds me of a 5-10 datsun that one of my friends had up in colorado

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:20 pm

What was funny is that "Eleanor" is the only movie car that was ever picked up for production. She is in limited quantity, but I find it pretty funny.

Course, KITT couldn't be picked up for manufacturer production because half of what is on that car is considered illegal in most states. Unless the car was severely modified to make it all legal, it wouldn't be the same.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:36 pm

That looks alot like the old Misubishi GTO I had years ago... Man I loved that car....had the best dash ever...dials and gauges all over the place.....

Mind you the Nissan Skyline I drive now isn't to shabby. :)

Tarmac
Rookie

Pontiac...

Post by Tarmac » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:55 pm

I like the position Pontiac is in. They're changing their design philosophy and slowly removing the god-awful plastic molding from their models.

The new Grand Prix has 260hp, and is a very nice family car. They've improved on an already amazing car.

The new G6 (Grand Am replacement looks awesome). Very sporty good looking family car.

The Vibe is a hit for Pontiac, outselling its twin the Matrix handily 8:2, it offers an AWD model, and it's set to receive a fully warrantied dealer installed supercharger this fall to help out with power. It's a good practical car with decent looks.

The upcoming GTO is a world class performance car (M3/M5 beater) for 33K, a true 2+2 seater, Corvette Z06 drivertrain, 350hp LS1, awesome interior and subtle exterior looks, ultimate sleeper. The very first GTO wasn't agressive looking, no scoops, just a family car with a honking V8, sign me up!

The Bonneville is nice luxo car, it's set to receive a V8 and be RWD, nice!

The Sunfire while not everybody's bag has an awesome engine, the ecotec, which takes to supercharging very well. It is on its way out though (replaced by the Pursuit).

The Solstice, awesome roadster, sports coupe, they want to sell them for under 20K, with a supercharged ecotec, 215-225hp, for a car that size, with those looks, I like it.

I am disappointed that the F-Body is no longer being made, but what can you do? GM sold everyone single one they made, the F-Bod died for a myriad of reasons:

1)they didn't advertise it nearly enough(so many people were like Camaros, Trans Am, they still make those, this thing has 325hp??, etc..no awareness),

2)previous management had it on the chopping block since '96 therefore no future plans for a new model were in place, no plans to make it 2003 compliant were made at all,

3)they weren't as user friendly as the Mustang (the F-Body's jet fighter styling, low slug seating, low point of entry...).

4)dealers weren't force to carry them, and if they did it was in very little numbers, Who wants to order and buy a car they can't even test drive first? If dealers never have the car, how can you possibly drive one to even see if you like it? Sports cars are an impulse buy. People see it on the lot, get in it, feel it, then decide if they HAVE to have it, or not. If it isn't on the lot, how the hell can that happen? People don't need these cars, but many want them...they just don't know it .

I find it laughable that a Ford designer says the F-Bod died cause it "veered from the original look and "feel" that started the trend. " Does he remember the 79-93 Stangs, yeah those really looked and felt like originals, right down to the hatch, and 4 cylinder offering. Or how about those Mustang IIs? If anything the F-Body stuck to much to it's sporty muscle car roots. It'll be back though, one day.

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:30 pm

About the Sunfires....

Is it me, or when you look at the new models from the front, doesn't it look extremely ticked off? Like you're afraid to cut it off and end up a burning hunk of metal?

Sorry....random thought....... :roll: :oops: :lol: